• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Jokey665

Well I think I got a pretty decent Suicune:

Suicune - #245 (Bold)
HP: 28 - 29
Att: 30 - 31
Def: 13 - 14
SpA: 5 - 7
SpD: 31
Speed: 5 - 7

Haven't saved yet, but I'm thinking of keeping it. I just wish the Att was in Def and the Def was in SpA

Lkr

How do you get Suicune in this game? Is it random like the other beasts?

And damn Chuck is too good. Fucking Pidgeotto is so weak, and gust doesn't do shit

jdogmoney

The best thing about Pokemon is that you guys with your IVs and your RNG and charts and whatnot enjoy the game at least as much as a simpleton like me, who just goes through the game to go through the game.

The most impressive thing I've ever tried doing is filling up my Pokedex on Diamond, and I lacked the discipline for even that. :D

vid

Eteric Rice said:
Only Pikachu does, I think. The others say their own thing.

The Jigglypuff in the radio tower says it's own name as well. Most of the others just say something along the lines of "Guh guh gwar", though.

You know, playing the crap out of both my Ruby/Sapphire games, I have to say, I disagree with others saying Gen 3 was a terrible Gen. I enjoyed it alot, and there was a bigger emphasis on exploration compared to say Gen 2 or even 4. (something that I particularly enjoy)

I'm looking foward to what gamefreak will do with the future remakes.

But anyways, that's for another time for a future RS remake thread.

What exactly can you do after
beating red?

jdogmoney said:
The best thing about Pokemon is that you guys with your IVs and your RNG and charts and whatnot enjoy the game at least as much as a simpleton like me, who just goes through the game to go through the game.

The most impressive thing I've ever tried doing is filling up my Pokedex on Diamond, and I lacked the discipline for even that. :D

I understand why in terms of marketing, Nintendo made it more difficult to fill your Pokedex in subsequent games after Red/Blue, but now it just entirely too daunting.

I remember spending 200+ hours in Red before finally having 15 or so Pokemon at level 100 and capturing, CAPTURING, all 151 (Used a gameshark to get Mew.) If Nintendo ever released a gigantic Pokemon game where all nearly 500 Pokemon could be caught with just 1 or 2 carts, and it was set in a new region, I would definitely pay $60 for it.

Pappasman

jdogmoney said:

Ya me too. I've played every single pokemon game since blue, and i'm just now starting to get interested in EVs and shit.

Galactic Quail said:
You know, playing the crap out of both my Ruby/Sapphire games, I have to say, I disagree with others saying Gen 3 was a terrible Gen. I enjoyed it alot, and there was a bigger emphasis on exploration compared to say Gen 2 or even 4. (something that I particularly enjoy)

Gen 3's problem was the water. All the land environments were really awesome.

Galactic Quail said:
What exactly can you do after
beating red?

wait for Gen 5...

Jokey665

I've filled my 'dex legitimately in every gen; twice in gen 1 (Red/Yellow). Pearl currently has a copy of every pokemon that can't breed and the highest evolution form of every pokemon that can, including "duplicates" if the evolutionary tree branches (ie Poliwrath and Politoed). I plan on doing it for HG because it's just a matter of trading stuff over to it and doing some breeding.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I like that Johto is super-linear, Hoenn is super-nonlinear, and that Sinnoh is pretty much defined by Mt. Coronet. It gives each region their own unique feel and I can't say I dislike any of them. Kanto doesn't have anything that really sticks out but I like it too.

I didn't have the patience to catch all the Pokemon in Red/Blue even though there were only 151 of them and I could have easily done it all on one playthrough via glitches. I never caught 'em all until Platinum.

Wiseblade

Jokey665 said:
Well I think I got a pretty decent Suicune:

Suicune - #245 (Bold)
HP: 28 - 29
Att: 30 - 31
Def: 13 - 14
SpA: 5 - 7
SpD: 31
Speed: 5 - 7

Haven't saved yet, but I'm thinking of keeping it. I just wish the Att was in Def and the Def was in SpA

That's pretty good. the main defensive stats are good, and Suicune's not desperate to outspeed anything. If you're planning of a crocune set then SpA won't matter that much but it's a shame that that attack isn't defence.

Sixfortyfive

Have we reached a consensus on the best HM slave yet? Basically anything that can learn 4 shitty HMs (moves that aren't particularly strong or useful in NPC battles)? If not I'll probably just try to transfer a Bibarel over from Platinum soon.

Jokey665

Wiseblade said:
That's pretty good. the main defensive stats are good, and Suicune's not desperate to outspeed anything. If you're planning of a crocune set then SpA won't matter that much but it's a shame that that attack isn't defence.
Nah I'm not using Crocune, I'm using a Calm Mind shuffle set.
Sixfortyfive said:
Have we reached a consensus on the best HM slave yet? Basically anything that can learn 4 shitty HMs (moves that aren't particularly strong or useful in NPC battles)? If not I'll probably just try to transfer a Bibarel over from Platinum soon.
I just used two Smeargles that I traded over from Pearl...

Wiseblade

Eteric Rice said:
How does one get rare candies in this game? Like, 50 of em. >_>
a team of 6 Phanpy at level 41+ will Pickup rare candies pretty quickly. Plus, you'll never need to buy potions, revives, repels or escape ropes ever again.

Lkr

The worst part about being in Cianwood? Not being able to beat Chuck and not being able to train anywhere :\

Bentendo

Inferno313 said:
Don't the Pokemon speak their names in the text? At least in the American versions? I swear I remember talking to a Pikachu in the game and it said "Pika... Pika" in the text box.

I think a FEW of them do, but if I'm right most of the Pokémon that appear on the map say "hrrnnngg" when you touch them.

The text will sometimes describe their mood sometimes too, like with the Slowpoke.

Bentendo

Lkr said:
and i hate training on tentacools

Oh my God that brings back some memories. :lol

Anyway, is there surefire way to win in the bug catching contests or is it just random. How the NPC with the Caterpie one against two Pinsirs I'll never know.

Wiseblade

Jokey665 said:
Nah I'm not using Crocune, I'm using a Calm Mind shuffle set.

That set can work wonders with the right support. I'd argue that it's better than skarmory racking up entry hazard damage and hits harder too. The lack of instant recovery can be covered by wishes from Latias or even a Jolteon if you're feeling quirky enough.

JSnake

Does no one really have a Thunderbolt TM they could give me? Voltorb Flip is the worst abomination I've ever encountered in my life. :(

Sixfortyfive

Crumpet Trumpet said:
So, what's the consensus here? Is this pretty much the best Pokemon game ever?
Every new Pokemon game is slightly better than the one that came before it.

isny

napkin dispenser
Amibguous Cad said:
Does anyone know where you can get the elemental stones in this game, or if it's possible? I'm thinking of raising a jolteon to replace my Flaafy.

That one chick keeps calling me and giving me Thunderstones. Dana maybe?

Also...I caught Lugia with a Duskball on my first try last night =D

Was stoked I didn't have to sit there for an hour like I usually do, lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Crumpet Trumpet said:

It is. The largest amount of Pokemons, 16 gyms, all the upgrades from Diamond/Pearl to Platinum are in there, best soundtrack in the series, etc.

It's unbeatable. Seriously.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
:lol :lol
The Pokewalker is TOO awesome.
I just caught a slowpoke and leveled up 1 while doing the dishes.

Bentendo said:
Oh my God that brings back some memories. :lol

Anyway, is there surefire way to win in the bug catching contests or is it just random. How the NPC with the Caterpie one against two Pinsirs I'll never know.
According to some people, winning depends on
1. Pokemon rarity
2. Evolutionary stage
3. IVs

Not necessarily in that order. That IV one could end up being a kicker in terms of why Caterpies keep winning.

survivor

Banned
Crumpet Trumpet said:
HG/SS pretty much got all the new features, biggest region, and it's damn Jhoto. The only thing Platinum got over the game is better move tutors, but that's about it.

Balb

TheCardPlayer said:
It is. The largest amount of Pokemons, 16 gyms, all the upgrades from Diamond/Pearl to Platinum are in there, best soundtrack in the series, etc.

It's unbeatable. Seriously.

Best soundtrack has to go to Emerald imo.

Sixfortyfive

survivor said:
HG/SS pretty much got all the new features, biggest region, and it's damn Jhoto. The only thing Platinum got over the game is better move tutors, but that's about it.
Platinum has:

- better PC box management, particularly if you're the type to max out your capacity and be somewhat meticulous about how everything is ordered.
- easier EV training, via Vs Seeker.
- easier "auto-pilot" breeding, if Johto really doesn't have any long straight routes.
- purchasable coins in the game corner for TMs (stupid Voltorb Flip).

And that's just what I've compiled about halfway through the Johto quest. All minor problems, mind you, but they might be enough to keep me on Platinum for training/battling when all is said and done.

Will anyone be around in about 10-15 minutes to help me transfer over a party of 6 from my Plat to Gold carts?

Gravijah

Musically, DPPt is just too awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIWg6TUav0g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q4REbVu2cI&feature=related

Two of my favorites.

Sixfortyfive said:
Platinum has:

- better PC box management, particularly if you're the type to max out your capacity and be somewhat meticulous about how everything is ordered.
- easier "auto-pilot" breeding, if Johto really doesn't have any long straight routes.

And that's just what I've compiled about halfway through the Johto quest. All minor problems, mind you, but they might be enough to keep me on Platinum for training/battling when all is said and done.

Will anyone be around in about 10-15 minutes to help me transfer over a party of 6 from my Plat to Gold carts?

If you need help, I can. Just PM me.

Axis

Sixfortyfive said:
Platinum has:

if no one's helped you in an hour or so i can help if you still need it

survivor

Banned
There is no Vs. Seeker in HG/SS? I thought it was a standard item in all Pokemon games now? I guess I will just keep EV training in Platinum then.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Is it possible to get a Heracross before I beat Whitney's gym? I cold really use him to take down her miltank.

EDIT: looks like it.

Gravijah

survivor said:
There is no Vs. Seeker in HG/SS? I thought it was a standard item in all Pokemon games now? I guess I will just keep EV training in Platinum then.

Speaking of, how is EV training in Pearl? I never played through Platinum really, and I don't want to kill my momentum in SS by playing through Platinum.

isny

napkin dispenser
Sixfortyfive said:
Platinum has:

I'll take care of it if you want. Just PM me your FC and I'll hop on in 10 minutes.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Gravijah said:
Speaking of, how is EV training in Pearl? I never played through Platinum really, and I don't want to kill my momentum in SS by playing through Platinum.

Why does your avatar constantly switch between Surfing Raichu and that pink/green and blue/gray collage thing?

survivor

Banned
Gravijah said:
It's pretty much the same as Platinum. The only difference being you will miss out on the move tutors. Can't remember if there is anything else since I haven't played Platinum in a long time.

Gravijah

Big Ass Ramp said:
Why does your avatar constantly switch between Surfing Raichu and that pink/green and blue/gray collage thing?

It's a few different things. My Surfing Raichu <3, two pictures someone made for me, and the album cover of Autechre - Untilted.

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
My friend codes are:

Platinum: 2750-6983-3519
HeartGold: 4082-7707-6833

Respond with yours and I'll get online asap.

2579 5346 8290 for my Pearl, adding yours now and I'll be in the WiFi room.

Top Bottom