• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheSeks said:
Just got up to Goldenrod a few hours ago. How the hell do you catch an Abra with a Drowsee? My other Pokemon are nearly 10 levels above the Abra and Drowsee can't get first turn Hypno off. So rage inducing. :|

Also you can get the Spikey-Eared Pichu without completeing the game. I just went up to the Shrine after the Charcoal Farfetch'd event, switched the Shiney Pichu into Slot One, examined the shrine and boom, event done. :lol

I just need to do the Arceus event but I forget what route it's on to get into the Ruins of Alph. Argh. :lol

Put my Sentret (that I've been leveling off/on) in the Pokewalker. Hoping the Shaymain course gets me a Jigglypuff today.
I wonder if we will later be able to use Spikey Eared Pichu to unlock Celebi.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Why don't you check out this tournament/battle thread if you haven't already?

Alright, I've just about decided on the final team I'll be using for the quest:

Typhlosion
Togekiss
Sudowoodo
Espeon
Gyarados
Hitmonchan/lee/top or Dragonite

Probably going to go with Dragonite so that Gyarados isn't saddled with 3 HMs.

upandaway said:
And I'm still kinda considering moving my 350-some Pokemon from Plat to this here, but with every post of Six I gravitate away from the idea. Just imagining all the time it would take, and then the pain in organizing them with the worse box system.. argh.
I am probably going to do it eventually. Like, way after I have completed everything there is to do in HG and when I can borrow a friend's DS for an entire day. I'd probably want to get it over and done with all at once, and I'll probably catch all of the easily obtainable Pokemon in HG so that I don't have to trade for most of them anyway.

Bentendo

Which Pokémon costume is the Poké Maniac wearing in this game? In D/P/Pt he was wearing Pikachu but I can't decide what he's wearing this time.

isny

napkin dispenser
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I might need some help transferring my Pikachu colored Pichu, Jirachi, and Arceus from Plat to SS later tonight if someone is going to be on.

timnich said:
Is anyone else able to help me trade? I was hoping to get this done today because I want to keep building my team.

I'm available for both of you, if you haven't found someone else yet. Just PM me.

Mr.City

Why are people complaining that D/P had the most overpowered legendaries? These are the beings that supposed created time, space, and existence itself.

nli10

Big Ass Ramp said:
When they gain a level in the Pokewalker, they won't learn a move for that level (if they were supposed to). That's it, it doesn't affect them outside of the pokewalker.

TheSeks said:
They'll evolve one level later. Dunno about the moves, but I'd hope Nintendo would be smart to have the move bump up to the next level like evolution and give the player the option to skip/learn it.

As I had planned to power-level pokemon via physical walking this is a bit of a blow :(

I...I know I already have Togekiss on Platinum. But Togepi is so cute...I have to train another! :lol

That being said Pokewalker seems like a great idea for happiness training. Maybe I could even get a usable Crobat this time..

Holy crap, Voltorb Flip really is so awesome. I love it, you don't bet anything, and getting 100% comes down to logical reasoning, not "luck." It's to the point where I'm not doing anything else in Goldenrod right now. :lol

Axis said:
is it possible to catch these fucking dogs without the use of mean look? frustrating

Part of the problem is that the two that run the countryside know Roar, which will end your battle quickly even if you use mean look/block/spider web. A bit better than mean look is putting them to sleep (although your pokemon has to be stupidly fast for this). They'll run as soon as they wake up, but it's better than nothing.

thefil said:
Can't seem to beat Chuck. Doesn't help that my only Pokemon with a chance is Togekiss...

Really? I thought he was the easiest gym leader by far. Granted, the AI was really bad against me (Double Team failed because of Foresight which cancels out evasion boosters, and then he tried to spam Focus Punch hoping I would miss...).

Maybe you could catch a strong Tentacruel. I found one at level 25. It isn't too far below the gym level, and it resists their main move. You could set up two layers of Toxic Spikes on his Primeape, defeat that, and then just stall against his Poliwrath.

Axis said:
is it possible to catch these fucking dogs without the use of mean look? frustrating

Oh yeah, the dogs were the most annoying runners ever. You'll need to dedicate at least an entire day to catching them (unless you get really lucky and the first ball you use on them works). It could very well take weeks, or even months, unless you use some really fast Pokemon with Mean Look/Hypnosis/Spore.

Axis

HiddenWings said:
Part of the problem is that the two that run the countryside know Roar, which will end your battle quickly even if you use mean look/block/spider web. A bit better than mean look is putting them to sleep (although your pokemon has to be stupidly fast for this). They'll run as soon as they wake up, but it's better than nothing.

no i've put both entei and raikou to sleep and they're running while they're asleep...this is ridiculous lol

Sixfortyfive

HiddenWings said:
Mean Look + Ingrain + False Swipe + Spore. Solves all your legendary catching issues. I am prepared, though I might need to level up those guys some more.

I don't know why I even doubted the quality of the games. Gold and Silver are my favorite Pokemon games, I was just worried that the remakes screwed them up. Time to save up to buy this byotch :/

Wiseblade

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Holy crap, Voltorb Flip really is so awesome. I love it, you don't bet anything, and getting 100% comes down to logical reasoning, not "luck." It's to the point where I'm not doing anything else in Goldenrod right now. :lol

Wait, so you can't just "power through" and buy enough coins to get whatever you want?

Sixfortyfive

So do all the legendaries come back if you knock them out or run from them? I think I'm about to the point where Entei, Raikou, and Suicune are going to be released, and I don't want to be bothered with RNG abusing for good stats until I'm done with the main quest.

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
So do all the legendaries come back if you knock them out or run from them? I think I'm about to the point where Entei, Raikou, and Suicune are going to be released, and I don't want to be bothered with RNG abusing for good stats until I'm done with the main quest.

according to Serebii, they do.

ryan-ts

Got Lance down to his last Pokemon, Charizard (full health) vs my Starmie (less than half health). I hit Surf on Charizard and thought it was over.....Charizard survives and hits Dragon Claw and then it's over.

Is there any reason to not evolve a Pokemon? My Geodude wants to evolve, and I know that I can make it evolve immediately after that via trade... but I don't know if it is wise.

FWIW, after Level 25, they all learn the same moves, so I won't be missing out on good moves or something like that.

Why would you do that? said:
Is there any reason to not evolve a Pokemon? My Geodude wants to evolve, and I know that I can make it evolve immediately after that via trade... but I don't know if it is wise.

FWIW, after Level 25, they all learn the same moves, so I won't be missing out on good moves or something like that.
Moves are pretty much the only reason, to be honest.

Also, ryan-ts, could I get you to spoiler tag that for me? I read the word "Lance" and had to quickly skip over your post.

Sixfortyfive

Why would you do that? said:

The only major reasons to hold back on evolution are to learn moves faster or to learn moves that only the pre-evolved form can learn. This only applies to certain species, too. I know that happiness evolutions and trade evolutions learn their moves at the same rate as their pre-evolutions anyway.

I always hold back on evolution during the quest until I hit a wall where I would otherwise need to grind. It's nice to get some of the good moves early.

cabottemp

Banned
how the hell do i find my friend code? i've consulted the guide but i still can't find it anywhere. and when i go to the pokemon center i can't go to the basement, some bitch is standing in the stairway and she says it's closed off. i mean wtf

Zilch

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

Yeah, once I finally figured it out I couldn't stop playing.

cabot said:
how the hell do i find my friend code? i've consulted the guide but i still can't find it anywhere. and when i go to the pokemon center i can't go to the basement, some bitch is standing in the stairway and she says it's closed off. i mean wtf

Gotta beat the first gym before she'll let you down there.

Balb

HiddenWings said:

I use my Gallade with:

Hypnosis
Taunt
False Swipe
Mean Look

Works great.

Okay, thanks about the evolution thing. I remember someone telling me that pre-evolved forms grow faster or something...

As for Voltorb Flip... I thought it was really annoying and random. But then I realized that I overlooked some numbers, and it became far deeper than I imagined. Got up to Level 4, accidentally lost, and was booted back to Level 1, so I got annoyed at it again.

cabot said:
Connect to Wi-fi Plaza. I think it is the center desk in the Wi-fi Room. Because it'll be the first time you connect to Wi-fi, you'll do a preliminary connect to assign you a friend code.

Edit: You need to beat the First Gym first before you go down there, though...

Wiseblade

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I haven't seen a kiosk to buy coins from yet, so I guess not. It's free to play, so I don't see why I'd want to anymore.
because having 5 amulet coins just became far less useful...

Yes, I know they don't stack.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gravijah said:
It wasn't.

Wha?

I remember a game just like it. Is my memory corrupted? *goes to rummage to find old G/S/C cart*

Edit: Shit, it seems my clock FINALLY died and took my game with it. I no longer have a save file. FFFFF.

I swear I remember a game like Voltorb flip in the original games (or at least Crystal). I don't think it was called "Voltorb flip" but the mini-game was similar.

Metroid Killer said:
Aww just got it confirmed that the Arceus event that is currently going on here in Europe can't be downloaded to HG/SS only D/P/Pt... Kinda sucks when one need to use it for HG :(

If you can use a Gamestop one in the EU copy, I can easily clone/duplicate any of the current released events off my Platinum cart for you to use. Doesn't matter if you trade me a crap Pokemon as it'd be released anyway. :lol

Okay, Ghost Gym Leader #4 isn't easy.

You know when you get up to that point where all of your good Pokemon have fainted, you know you're screwed, and you solemnly go through all of your level 5 or so Pokemon as they're all defeated? Not fun. I pulled out my brave little Lv.1 Togepi against Gengar and used Extrasensory to the last second.

'Course I lost, so now I need to grind. One of the greater things about Pokemon is that you never really need to grind more than 1 or 2 levels.

TheSeks said:
Edit: Shit, it seems my clock FINALLY died and took my game with it. I no longer have a save file. FFFFF.

I swear I remember a game like Voltorb flip in the original games (or at least Crystal). I don't think it was called "Voltorb flip" but the mini-game was similar.
1, sorry for your loss. Same with me a few years back. :(
2, there were 2 games in G/S/C. One were the slots, and the other... I forgot, but I think it was some sort of card game.

Fake Edit: Card Flip: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Card_flip

Poyunch

Didn't receive a figurine since I just got the game today. How long until the mystery egg hatches? I'm planning on having every single starter on my real playthrough but I don't want to waste a perfectly good egg while I'm playing.

ryan-ts

TheSeks said:
Wha?

I remember a game just like it. Is my memory corrupted? *goes to rummage to find old G/S/C cart*

Yeah there was some sort of card game in Silver, I remember as well.

BTW, Elite 4 defeated. Ampharos ended it with Thunder on Charizard.

isny

napkin dispenser
PounchEnvy said:
Didn't receive a figurine since I just got the game today. How long until the mystery egg hatches? I'm planning on having every single starter on my real playthrough but I don't want to waste a perfectly good egg while I'm playing.

Hatched within hours for me.

kzn

Neo Member
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

Uh, there is no way to make the game a 100% win, I'm pretty sure.

There are plenty of boards where you will be faced with a choice of 4-8 cells with pretty much no clear guidance as to which to pick, and if you eat a Voltorb on them you're back to level 1.

Unless, that is, I'm missing something.

EzLink

Banned
been riding my bike up and down for the past hour trying to hatch a skarmory with the nature and ability i want. hooray breeding! :/

Eteric Rice

Wait, since when were those stupid whirlpools in G/S?

God damn it, did they add MORE HMs to this fucking game? How many HMs are there in HG/SS?

FUCK.

Eteric Rice said:
Wait, since when were those stupid whirlpools in G/S?

God damn it, did they add MORE HMs to this fucking game? How many HMs are there in HG/SS?

FUCK.
Huh? Whirlpool was always in the game. /beaten

Actually, since I didn't have any concept of HM slaves, my Feraligator from back in the day had Surf, Cut, Earthquake, and Whirlpool.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
PounchEnvy said:

2,560 steps. Half that if you have a Magma Armor/Flame Body Pokemon in your party. Most Pokemon are double this, and there's a group of Pokemon that are double that. Reference Serebii if you're every curious about a specific number.

Top Bottom