• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Jokey665

Wiseblade said:
That set can work wonders with the right support. I'd argue that it's better than skarmory racking up entry hazard damage and hits harder too. The lack of instant recovery can be covered by wishes from Latias or even a Jolteon if you're feeling quirky enough.
Yeah, currently I'm thinking about pairing it with a Jirachi for Wish. Still working on the rest of the team. (I just know I really want to use both Suicune and Jirachi >_> )

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Gravijah said:
2579 5346 8290 for my Pearl, adding yours now and I'll be in the WiFi room.
Getting online now. I'll have to get online twice with HG because I've got an NPC's Spearow in it that I can't put in the box.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Gravijah said:
It's a few different things. My Surfing Raichu <3, two pictures someone made for me, and the album cover of Autechre - Untilted.

Oh, ok, cool! I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that.

By the way, you can catch a Heracross on Route 33, right? All I've run into are Spearow.

Sixfortyfive said:
- better PC box management, particularly if you're the type to max out your capacity and be somewhat meticulous about how everything is ordered.
Drag pokes to and from your party. Drag a poke onto another one to switch them. Drag a poke onto a box to drop it into that box. That's worse than Platinum?
Miss the yellow hand, though.

Sixfortyfive said:
- easier "auto-pilot" breeding, if Johto really doesn't have any long straight routes.
Well, the old breeding route for GSC was the one going through Goldenrod, from the front of the Daycare to the route past the guardhouse (109 steps). For comparison, the one in Platinum was 123 steps.

Also, +1 for the DPPt soundtrack. And the RSE soundtrack. Both are great.

Ganhyun

omg, i havent played this in soo long ive forgotten the basic walkthrough, :lol

oh well, time to play innocently and go visit the pokemon professor.

Sixfortyfive

Getting online again. I'll have to do this twice.

ColtraineGF said:
Drag pokes to and from your party. Drag a poke onto another one to switch them. Drag a poke onto a box to drop it into that box. That's worse than Platinum?
Miss the yellow hand, though.
Yes. It's slower precisely because of the missing yellow hand. You can't drop Pokemon into a specific position when moving to another box either; it just drops them in the first blank slot. I also don't care much for the touchscreen interface because I'm left handed and don't feel like moving my dominant hand on and off of the d-pad and around to the right side of the Lite for the stylus over and over.

Jokey665

Sixfortyfive said:
Yes. It's slower precisely because of the missing yellow hand. You can't drop Pokemon into a specific position when moving to another box either; it just drops them in the first blank slot. I also don't care much for the touchscreen interface because I'm left handed and don't feel like moving my dominant hand on and off of the d-pad and around to the right side of the Lite for the stylus over and over.
This is the worst part. Why can't you just switch boxes with L/R? Damn you, Gamefreak!

Sixfortyfive said:
I also don't care much for the touchscreen interface because I'm left handed and don't feel like moving my dominant hand on and off of the d-pad and around to the right side of the Lite for the stylus over and over.
Ah. What about other games that use the touchscreen that offer left-hand options? Do you keep the stylus in your hand at all times then?
innocent question

Axis

8 badges down and ho-oh is now mine! i'm really excited to still have 8 more badges and an assload more legendaries to still catch

Sixfortyfive

There's also no "Withdraw" menu option when using Move Pokemon, so that's another few clicks as you manually have to move the cursor from the box to the party. Those extra clicks add up after a while. So yeah, worse than Plat.

ColtraineGF said:
Ah. What about other games that use the touchscreen that offer left-hand options? Do you keep the stylus in your hand at all times then?
innocent question
Most of the games I play are either entirely stylus operated or entirely button operated, or at least can be played either way. I ignore any game that focuses on d-pad and stylus use simultaneously, even if they have reversible controls.

EDIT: Thanks a bunch grav.

Schmitty

Finally got the game yesterday!

Team so far is:

Zubat Lv. 14
Gastly Lv. 17
Quilava Lv. 18
Rattata (HM Slave) Lv. 8
Flaaffy Lv. 17
Slowpoke Lv. 14

upandaway

Even though I like to avoid trainers on my first playthrough... I noticed I always go for it on double battles. Single player double battles are too much fun to ignore.

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
EDIT: Thanks a bunch grav.

No problem. 6 badges down and I'm messing around in the
Safari zone
. I just noticed my team is a bit special attack heavy... :lol I've decided I'm not going to train a competitive team until after I have all the badges, and I'm not going to allow myself to trade in Pokemon from other games (though trading Pokemon to Pearl to EV train is allowed.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just got up to Goldenrod a few hours ago. How the hell do you catch an Abra with a Drowsee? My other Pokemon are nearly 10 levels above the Abra and Drowsee can't get first turn Hypno off. So rage inducing. :|

Also you can get the Spikey-Eared Pichu without completeing the game. I just went up to the Shrine after the Charcoal Farfetch'd event, switched the Shiney Pichu into Slot One, examined the shrine and boom, event done. :lol

I just need to do the Arceus event but I forget what route it's on to get into the Ruins of Alph. Argh. :lol

Put my Sentret (that I've been leveling off/on) in the Pokewalker. Hoping the Shaymain course gets me a Jigglypuff today.

Sixfortyfive said:
no withdraw
So I guess it turned out bad that the touch interface was improved at the expense of the button interface, essentially.

Anyway, is it right that no trainer can be rebattled at a specific time, only when they call you?

Axis

ColtraineGF said:
So I guess it turned out bad that the touch interface was improved at the expense of the button interface, essentially.

Anyway, is it right that no trainer can be rebattled at a specific time, only when they call you?

yes only when they call you

isny

napkin dispenser
TheSeks said:
Just got up to Goldenrod a few hours ago. How the hell do you catch an Abra with a Drowsee? My other Pokemon are nearly 10 levels above the Abra and Drowsee can't get first turn Hypno off. So rage inducing. :|

Also you can get the Spikey-Eared Pichu without completeing the game. I just went up to the Shrine after the Charcoal Farfetch'd event, switched the Shiney Pichu into Slot One, examined the shrine and boom, event done. :lol

I just need to do the Arceus event but I forget what route it's on to get into the Ruins of Alph. Argh. :lol

Put my Sentret (that I've been leveling off/on) in the Pokewalker. Hoping the Shaymain course gets me a Jigglypuff today.

As I've mentioned before, I have a ton of coins and can offer an Abra to you, and anyone else who needs one. Just shoot me a PM with your FC =)

Shiggie

Big Ass Ramp said:
Is it possible to get a Heracross before I beat Whitney's gym? I cold really use him to take down her miltank.

EDIT: looks like it.
I remember long ago I used a nidoran with low kick, try that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
isny said:
As I've mentioned before, I have a ton of coins and can offer an Abra to you, and anyone else who needs one. Just shoot me a PM with your FC =)

Well, I've done it before. I just know he's a bastard because of the stupid first turn teleport ALWAYS and I don't seem to have a Pokemon that is set to first turn sleep him so I can catch his bitch ass.

Fast ball would work, but it seems to ALWAYS break out after (shake) (shake) (shake)

Me: ... :D? :D? :D?

Game: LOL NO

Abra: (Breaks out, flips me off and teleports)

Me: D:! D:! D:!

Also Voltorb flip isn't that bad, guys. It's kinda like minesweeper. The addition of the marking notes in the DS remake makes it a lot better than it was in G/S/C. The main problem is thinking (after clearing a whole row/two rows of 0 Voltorbs) that one of the tiles that isn't a + for the rows saying 1/1 Voltorb meeting up is... a Voltorb. ARGH. :lol

TheSeks said:

How to catch an Abra in 3 easy steps:
1. throw a quick ball
2. ?????
3 Profit!

Seriously, you can catch them with no battling required most of the time. On second thought, you don't have access to quick balls at that point in the game, so... Good luck!

Sixfortyfive

I just used the one Great Ball I had to catch Abra. Worked first try.

You also get access to Great (and Ultra?) balls at Goldenrod anyway.

Bentendo

I just got my Spiky-Eared Pichu, but I haven't named it yet. I usually don't name my Pokemon but since this is a special occasion I thought I would. Any suggestions??? :lol

Actually, I had no idea that the Voltorb flip game was in the originals. Is it really? I never noticed. Or maybe it was because I never spent much time in the game center when I was younger.

edit: Gah! I was misled, TheSeks...

Both Great and Ultra Balls can be bought at the dept. store. For the usual prices, of course :(

Gravijah

Bentendo said:
I just got my Spiky-Eared Pichu, but I haven't named it yet. I usually don't name my Pokemon but since this is a special occasion I thought I would. Any suggestions??? :lol

SPKYERPCHU

ColtraineGF said:
Actually, I had no idea that the Voltorb flip game was in the originals. Is it really? I never noticed. Or maybe it was because I never spent much time in the game center when I was younger.

Both Great and Ultra Balls can be bought at the dept. store. For the usual prices, of course :(

It wasn't.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Can anyone lend me or give me their event Arceus from TRU if they have one? I never got one :( and I want to trigger the event later....

WHY ALL THE GEN 3 HATE DUDES?!!??!?! I loved gen 3 probably almost as much as Gen 4. for me its probably

Seriously. Minus the day/night thing being gone, Gen 3 was AMAZING except for the fact that you couldn't catch some old Pokemon.

Gravijah

Dogenzaka said:
Can anyone lend me or give me their event Arceus from TRU if they have one? I never got one :( and I want to trigger the event later....

I need it myself. :/

Bentendo said:
All right, that's his new name. The old man said it was cute. :lol

I now have two completely useless, rare Pichus...

Evolve the one into a Raichu!

Sixfortyfive said:
Raichu? It's all about Light Ball Pikachu now.

I actually did bother to RNG abuse my shiny Pichu. Need to train him into a proper Pikachu someday.

I'm kinda depressed, I had been on/off working towards a shiny Raichu for years now, hatching tons of eggs... and then they released this shiny Pichu and it kinda kills it for me.

Sixfortyfive

Raichu? It's all about Light Ball Pikachu now.

I actually did bother to RNG abuse my shiny Pichu. Need to train him into a proper Pikachu someday.

timnich

Anyone able to help trade 6 pokemon from my platinum cart to my soul silver? I have quite a few stones i'm not using to give away if anyone can help me.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Bentendo said:
Earlier in the thread people were discussing the possibility of the creators using Pokémon voices from the anime in the game. I was looking around the director's blog and found this interview with IGN:

To which he replied:

Bullshit because Pokemon Yellow had Pikachu yell "Pika!"

Please give my Pokemon their anime sounds :(

Dogenzaka

Banned
timnich said:
Anyone able to help trade 6 pokemon from my platinum cart to my soul silver? I have quite a few stones i'm not using to give away if anyone can help me.

If you help me trade my Pokemon from Platinum to SoulSilver, yes. I'll help :D

Jeez I just can't find a Heracross, only Spearow and Aipom...

I ran into a Pinsir in the bug-catching contest. Was soooo pissed to have him wipeout my Cyndaquil because I was paralyzed and low on health :(

Bentendo

Gravijah said:
I need it myself. :/

Evolve the one into a Raichu!

I'm kinda depressed, I had been on/off working towards a shiny Raichu for years now, hatching tons of eggs... and then they released this shiny Pichu and it kinda kills it for me.

Is there a reason your avatar changes everytime I refresh? From the blue one, to the pink circles one to Raichu on a surfboard?

Just started playing this and it's very nostalgic. I haven't played a Pokemon game since the original Gold/Silver. I'm lovin how it's making me feel like an 11 year old again.
Quick question also: thinking of using Ninetails as my fire type in-game, how does it hold up againt other fire pokemon in SS?

Man it's so fucking awesome being in Kanto again. And with a new team, new music and new locations it really does feel like another game.

I have to get used to that Kanto is non-linear whereas Johto was like super-linear. I'm currently in Safron and I have no idea where I should go first after beating the gym. I did go up to Cerulean City but Misty wasn't at her gym, so i guess it does have a certain route that you need to follow.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Chorazin said:
Yellow is a special case though. It also forced you to play as Ash, IIRC.

Uh...not really. Ash and Gary from the anime are based after the design of the characters in Red and Blue. They had you play as the same characters from Red/Blue.

Gravijah

Bentendo said:
Is there a reason your avatar changes everytime I refresh? From the blue one, to the pink circles one to Raichu on a surfboard?

Jeez everyone is asking this now :lol it's just a random set of pictures I like using signavatar.com

Aww just got it confirmed that the Arceus event that is currently going on here in Europe can't be downloaded to HG/SS only D/P/Pt... Kinda sucks when one need to use it for HG :(

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
FUCKING FINALLY found a Heracross. Now, just don't kill him, Pichu.

EDIT: Please don't be Modest nature.

EDIT NUMERO TWO: Lax :/

Bentendo

Yesterday I was in the Safari Zone trying to capture a Larvitar for probably a half hour, but in the mountain zone I kept getting Magneton. Seriously, almost everytime it was Magneton, which really confused me because Magneton and Larvitar supposedly had the same chances of appearing. After tons and tons of Magneton, I finally looked back at the Pokemon that was following me and realized that it was Ampharos and that he was using Static to cause Magneton to appear.

Needless to say about ten minutes later I finally had my Larvitar. :lol

upandaway

I just named my Heracross 'Takamura'. I usually really don't like naming 'em after people or characters, and I was going to go with Hercules, but Hercules isn't really a good nickname, right? It doesn't roll off the tongue. And it's kinda lame anyway, sorry to anyone who named it that.

And I'm still kinda considering moving my 350-some Pokemon from Plat to this here, but with every post of Six I gravitate away from the idea. Just imagining all the time it would take, and then the pain in organizing them with the worse box system.. argh.

timnich

Dogenzaka said:
If you help me trade my Pokemon from Platinum to SoulSilver, yes. I'll help :D

I ran into a Pinsir in the bug-catching contest. Was soooo pissed to have him wipeout my Cyndaquil because I was paralyzed and low on health :(
Sure:D My platinum FC is 2021 1536 7440, and my silver FC is 0560 9008 0010. So how exactly should we do this?

Gravijah

timnich said:
Sure:D My platinum FC is 2021 1536 7440, and my silver FC is 0560 9008 0010. So how exactly should we do this?

Make sure you guys plan this out beforehand, it makes your life 50000 times easier.

upandaway said:
I just named my Heracross 'Takamura'. I usually really don't like naming 'em after people or characters, and I was going to go with Hercules, but Hercules isn't really a good nickname, right? It doesn't roll off the tongue. And it's kinda lame anyway, sorry to anyone who named it that.

I rarely name my Pokemon unless I can come up with a good one but Hercules rolls off the tongue better than Takamura. At least for me. But then again, I don't know any Japanese so I could be saying it all wrong.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hey guys, I need a good 6th Pokemon. I just got to Ecruteak, and I'm using Bayleef, Magby, Staryu, Elekid, and Ghastly. I also have a Murkrow, but it's just decent. Anything that I should have?

Top Bottom