• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
Hey guys why don't you read this tournament/battling thread if you haven't already.

Uninspired? I think I'd have to go with Feebas/Milotic just because it's such a blatant clone of Magikarp/Gyarados (stupid weak fish -> badass water snake). I still like Milotic though.
a lot of gen III pokemon were reimaginings of gen I stuff. Design wise, a lot of them are better too. Swalot>muk, slaking>snorlax etc.

grandjedi6 said:
Well if its anything like the original Gold/Silver then there isn't anything. In the original games everything was shrunk in order to fit in two regions so all the routes were rather short and broken up. So unless they extended the routes in the remakes, I don't believe there would be any comparable routes in Johto.

WHAAT?

Sixfortyfive said:
No VS seeker and no dedicated breeding route? That's two strikes, Game Freak!

At least Suicune is soft-resettable and tutors run off battle points now.

Wiseblade

FootNinja said:
Woa now. Snorlax is twice the lazy oaf that slaking is.
What? Slaking is awesome. He's all like: "I could crush you in no time flat if I could be bothered to move." Snorlax is just "I'm gonna block the road for no reason!"

isny

napkin dispenser
Gravijah said:
Yeah, he's a bastard. You gotta try to paralyze him or something.

Edit: it was pure luck when I beat him. If you've got Gastly, curse him, or if you have an electric, try to get a thunder wave on him.

As I mentioned earlier in the post, my Kangaskhan with Scrappy one shotted everything in there. May be worth getting, as he's useful for most of the game.

Fuuuck! Nostalgia is hitting me BIG time! I went to Kanto, and just left Vermillion City! Wow new music all over the place. As Red is the only pokemon game I played before HG it's like getting home after a long adventure!

Such a great game man!

upandaway

I like this. Haha.

But I must say, I suspect this game is even more broken than Platinum. I was flinched no less than 6 TIMES OUT OF 7 in one battle. I'm not even kidding.
I'm pretty much stuck on Miltank now... and it's only because of luck. If only not everything that could go wrong went wrong in those 4 times I battled the leader, I would have beaten her easily, but alas, I always die with Miltank having like 1 attack left.

upandaway said:
I like this. Haha.

But I must say, I suspect this game is even more broken than Platinum. I was flinched no less than 6 TIMES OUT OF 7 in one battle. I'm not even kidding.
Well you can look forward to Battle Frontier then! Stuff is made from out of nightmares I tell ya!

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
Well you can look forward to Battle Frontier then! Stuff is made from out of nightmares I tell ya!
Yeah that's gonna be torture. I'm still not even done with Platinum's postgame.

By the way, I read the last page, what the hell are you guys doing taking trainer phone numbers? Haven't you played GSC to understand the significance of that? I knew I would do better to give myself a slap every 2 minutes than to say yes. You guys have no right to complain.

upandaway said:
Yeah that's gonna be torture. I'm still not even done with Platinum's postgame.

By the way, I read the last page, what the hell are you guys doing taking trainer phone numbers? Haven't you played GSC to understand the significance of that? I knew I would do better to give myself a slap every 2 minutes than to say yes. You guys have no right to complain.
Bu bu it gives me the feeling that people care about me... ;-) Actually the rematches has helped me a lot. I grinded Victory Road an insane amount of times and the rematches were always a nice change.

joelseph

upandaway said:
I like this. Haha.

I'm pretty much stuck on Miltank now... and it's only because of luck. If only not everything that could go wrong went wrong in those 4 times I battled the leader, I would have beaten her easily, but alas, I always die with Miltank having like 1 attack left.

Are you using the traded Machop? If it is around level 19, just focus energy and karate chop the frak out of it! Should win in less than 4 moves.

ryan-ts

Ewww at people liking Gen 3

First of all, a lot of the Pokemon are laaaaame.

Second, they tried to do some interesting things like making the tree top area but it fails miserably because of the limited hardware and the fact that other than looking different, it functions no differently then the normal towns in the first two gens did. It just ends up feeling shallow and dumb. There is also way too much water, both in the amount Pokemon with that type and the fact that a decent sized portion of the game is just surfing along the water with a random encounter every 10 seconds.

Masked Man

I said wow
NinjaBoyLao said:
If Youngster Joey haven't annoyed you yet: http://twitter.com/RATTATApwns

Oh my god. :lol

Metroid Killer said:
I always thought Girafarig was interesting because of its tail and its type combo is unique. though I've never used one on my team though. Its japanese name is better imo (kirinriki: Kirin = Giraffe Nenriki=Psychokinesis, and it's still a hiragana palindrome).

Awesome, right? The original design of Girafarig / Kirinriki was a little more balanced, in that the head and tail were roughly the same size, elucidating the whole palindrome and idea of symmetry a bit more.

upandaway

joelseph said:
Are you using the traded Machop? If it is around level 19, just focus energy and karate chop the frak out of it! Should win in less than 4 moves.
Problem is I don't want a Machop on my team. I could just as well use Rock Smash too but, you know, I don't wanna do something I will regret later.
The thing is that I could win now if only the game wasn't so stubborn with the secondary effects. Have something go in my favor once in a while.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
upandaway said:
Problem is I don't want a Machop on my team. I could just as well use Rock Smash too but, you know, I don't wanna do something I will regret later.
The thing is that I could win now if only the game wasn't so stubborn with the secondary effects. Have something go in my favor once in a while.

You're going to need Rock Smash at some point, you might as well teach it to something bulky like Flaaffy, who can weaken Miltank with it so one of your physical Pokemon can end her. Flaaffy's movepool in game is so small that it won't matter, and it actually lets you hit Rock/Ground type for good damage (until you can get Focus Blast).

812023224_miQEV-L.jpg

mooooose

I was a kid when I played Gen 3, but I had a lot of fun with it. There was a huge sense of exploration to it, especially in finding the Regis. Is there anything comparable in Gen 4?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
mooooose said:
I was a kid when I played Gen 3, but I had a lot of fun with it. There was a huge sense of exploration to it, especially in finding the Regis. Is there anything comparable in Gen 4?

Sinnoh, the world in Generation 4, is quite larger. There are even more legendary Pokemon and side quest, but it's a bit more linear. There's nothing quite as expansive as the water, and underwater sections of Generation 3.. but there are numerous caves, and hidden areas to explore.

Wiseblade

ryan-ts said:
Ewww at people liking Gen 3

First of all, a lot of the Pokemon are laaaaame.

Second, they tried to do some interesting things like making the tree top area but it fails miserably because of the limited hardware and the fact that other than looking different, it functions no differently then the normal towns in the first two gens did. It just ends up feeling shallow and dumb. There is also way too much water, both in the amount Pokemon with that type and the fact that a decent sized portion of the game is just surfing along the water with a random encounter every 10 seconds.

Gen 3 Defence Force... Assemble!

And that miniature excuse of a region called Gen 2 Johto is better? give me a break. Hoenn had a far greater sense of exploration than any pokemon game before or since. The Regis are a testament to this. Flipping through the ruby manual to decipher braille riddles and capture Thardus was incredible. Emerald takes this one step further and does roaming pokemon right with Kyogre and Groudon.

And the surfing in RSE is the best it's ever been done. Surf as a HM may as well not exist in sinnoh considering how little it was used. Dive also did some really interesting things and gave the game a sense of life.

Balb

Wiseblade said:
Gen 3 Defence Force... Assemble!

And that miniature excuse of a region called Gen 2 Johto is better? give me a break. Hoenn had a far greater sense of exploration than any pokemon game before or since. The Regis are a testament to this. Flipping through the ruby manual to decipher braille riddles and capture Thardus was incredible. Emerald takes this one step further and does roaming pokemon right with Kyogre and Groudon.

And the surfing in RSE is the best it's ever been done. Surf as a HM may as well not exist in sinnoh considering how little it was used. Dive also did some really interesting things and gave the game a sense of life.

Gen 3 is very, very underrated.

ivysaur12

Banned
2 > 1 = 4 >>>>>>>>> 3

Sinnoh's pokemon are badass, especially the evos for the older Pokemon. It's too bad the game was so slow and the locales aren't quite as memorable as Johto. But splitting moves in physical and special was great.

Balb

ivysaur12 said:
2 > 1 = 4 >>>>>>>>> 3

Sinnoh's pokemon are badass, especially the evos for the older Pokemon. It's too bad the game was so slow and the locales aren't quite as memorable as Johto. But splitting moves in physical and special was great.

What makes 3 much worse than the rest?

upandaway

upandaway said:
Should I be able to find a Heracross on Route 33 right now? I've been seeing Spearows and Aipoms for a while.
I would appreciate it if someone confirmed that I'm not totally wasting my time here looking for an unavailable Pokemon.

Gravijah

upandaway said:
I would appreciate it if someone confirmed that I'm not totally wasting my time here looking for an unavailable Pokemon.

Routes 7, 11, 16, 28, 33, 42, 44, 45, 46 & 47, Azalea Town Vermillion City, Celadon City, Mt. Silver (Headbutt)

ivysaur12

Banned
Balb said:
What makes 3 much worse than the rest?

I stated my grievances with Gen 3 on a previous page, but the entire thing was disappointing. From the Pokemon to double battles to the locales, graphical updates, characters, worse story than usual, water, more water, oh hey are we surfing again?...

I can keep going. I really tried to love it, but I'd rather forget it for the much, much superior D/P/Pt.

beat the 7th gym

my team so far(trying to go for a team without legendaries)

Totodile lvl 34(will probably take of the everstone soon and just evolve it)
Gabite lvl 39(9 more level til it evolves into Garchomp)
Ninetails lvl 34(Mahogany gym got its shit pushed it by ninetails)
Ampharos lvl 35(pretty awesome-use its thunder wave for catching pokemons)
Pidgeot lvl 36(I like it but I might change it if I find a better flying pokemon)
Nidoqueen lvl30(love the double kick but will probably replace for an HM slave)

edit:

btw is it just me or is the encounter rate awful? I know that running increases it but god damn at Lake Rage every few steps I would be fighting some piece of shit lvl 10 Magikrap.

Boney

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
2 > 1 = 4 >>>>>>>>> 3

Apparently Platinum is much faster though.

The encounter rate in D/P was AWFUL. But it was still a great game.

WHY ALL THE GEN 3 HATE DUDES?!!??!?! I loved gen 3 probably almost as much as Gen 4. for me its probably

4=3>1>2

upandaway

No no no no alright, wait a second.

I'm confused because your list doesn't match up with Bulba... ugh I guess I'm not having a Heracross at all then.

kman3000

HOLY SHIT!

I was training up my Pokes for the 4th gym battle, when all of the sudden *BAM* Raikou shows up!

My Face: >=O ==> =D

I threw a great ball at it and got three shakes and I was like "No way, I'm going to catch it?!" and then it broke out and fled.

My face: =(

upandaway

Gravijah said:
Hmm, mine is from Serebii.

Edit: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Headbutt_(move)#Pok.C3.A9mon_HeartGold_and_SoulSilver

That's what you're looking at right? Just headbutt the trees in the areas I listed, they're all considered "Mountain"
Yeah. In any case after about an hour I still only see Spearows and Aipoms so I just give up. Sorry for acting weird (I just saw your list being much longer and the Azalea town listed and I immediately thought you listed the Forest one).

cvxfreak

I love how Lyra keeps calling me about her Marill which supposedly evolved into an Azumarill 4 hours ago.

Do we ever get to battle her?

Gravijah

cvxfreak said:
I love how Lyra keeps calling me about her Marill which supposedly evolved into an Azumarill 4 hours ago.

Do we ever get to battle her?

My current favorite is from Professor Oak. 20+ hours in, 4 badges, this is the first time he has ever called me and he said something along the lines of...

"So, are you catching a lot of Pokemon? *CLICK*"

Top Bottom