• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So are you guys using the Pokewalker with the belt clip or just loose in your pocket?
I used it loose in my pocket yesterday and it registered about 5500 steps for about a mile of walking.

That seems like 2 or 3 times more than what I would have guessed. I figure it was the extra sway of the shorts I was wearing.

Does anyone know where you can get the elemental stones in this game, or if it's possible? I'm thinking of raising a jolteon to replace my Flaafy.

Balb

Gravijah said:
My current favorite is from Professor Oak. 20+ hours in, 4 badges, this is the first time he has ever called me and he said something along the lines of...

"So, are you catching a lot of Pokemon? *CLICK*"

My favorite is obtaining all 16 badges, then Lyra calling me to say "My dad thinks you'll be a great trainer one day!"

Gravijah

Amibguous Cad said:
Does anyone know where you can get the elemental stones in this game, or if it's possible? I'm thinking of raising a jolteon to replace my Flaafy.

I'm pretty sure the Pokeathlon has one today for 2500 points, which isn't hard to get.

Bentendo

Earlier in the thread people were discussing the possibility of the creators using Pokémon voices from the anime in the game. I was looking around the director's blog and found this interview with IGN:

IGN said:
Through the series the Pokemon's calls have stayed similar with digital midi sounds. Now that the DS offers more options, have you considered changing these to fit with the TV show, or making them sound more like actual animal's calls?

To which he replied:

Masuda said:
Yes, we have considered that. However, we want players to imagine what they sound like and we want them to think whatever they want, and feel that this is the Pokemon they're playing with. So we didn't want to add very specific sound. So as you know in the show, Pikachu says "Pika pika!" but in the game it's more like… "drrysha!" [laughs] So that's something we don't want to make too specific, we want players to have a more imaginary world. And also, you look at the TV and movies and each Pokemon says their name, but they don't in the game. So that's something where people can see the show and go "Oh that's interesting, because it's different."

Wiseblade

Amibguous Cad said:
I could always trade3 you one. anything to increase the number of Jolteon in the world.

Gravijah

Amibguous Cad said:
Sorry for beign such a noob, but what's the pokeathlon? How can I access it? :lol

It's right after Goldenrod City, near the Bug Catching Contest. If you haven't hit that point I could always get one for you.

Gravijah

JSnake said:
Is it possible for anyone to send me a Thunderbolt TM? Or will I find one on the ground later on?

A bit of searching says there is one in
Cerulean Cave

Bentendo said:
If you can't find anybody to trade with, you can apparently get it at the Goldenrod Game Corner.

:lol

Bentendo

JSnake said:
Is it possible for anyone to send me a Thunderbolt TM? Or will I find one on the ground later on?

If you can't find anybody to trade with, you can apparently get it at the Goldenrod Game Corner.

Anarchistry

So for some reason something hasn't triggered for the elder to give me the
Dratini.
I made sure I had a free space in my party but he just says thew same thing every time.

I've already caught Lugia, am I missing something?

Wiseblade

Now we're on the topc of TMs, could anyone here trade me a couple of Stealth Rock ones (TM 76)? They're $2000 in the Celadon department store.

Unicorn

I'v got my eevee on my pokewalker again, and I'm at 4500 steps. He's kinda happy towards me according to the lady in Goldenrod.

How much walking do I need to do in order to max out happiness from the Pokewalker? I spent a whole day with Gastly at work and got 11,000+ steps and I'm pretty sure that made him max happy, but is there a defined point where additional steps are just for watts alone? I want to take the minimum amount of steps as possible to make eevee the most happy he can get.

Balb said:
What makes 3 much worse than the rest?

- Most people will agree that the 3rd generation batch of Pokemon were unlikeable and ugly. In my opinion, it's where they started looking like DeviantArt rejects. This problem was only exacerbated by the fact that a very large amount of first and second generation Pokemon (ie. the good ones) were not present at all.

- Too much damn water on the map. Surfing is NOT fun, as it entails being attacked by wild Pokemon every few seconds with no reprieve, navigating areas that look the same, and getting lost as a result. Diving made this WORSE, as it basically added another "floor" to surfing segments, which was the last thing they needed. Also relected by the abundance of water, is the abundance of new Water-type Pokemon. By the end of the game, I was sick of them.

- Far too many legendaries, most of which are overpowered, and therefore unusable in most games. Again, the fact that most of the Pokemon in the 3rd generation are unlikeable applies here too.

It's true that R/S/E introduced some of the most important mechanics in the series; natures, the physical/special split, 2 vs. 2 battles, etc, but those mechanics are now present in all 4 generations, so R/S/E now offers nothing over any of the other generations, and is now the most dull in terms of presentation.

kman3000

Ben2749 said:
- Most people will agree that the 3rd generation batch of Pokemon were unlikeable and ugly. In my opinion, it's where they started looking like DeviantArt rejects. This problem was only exacerbated by the fact that a very large amount of first and second generation Pokemon (ie. the good ones) were not present at all.

- Too much damn water on the map. Surfing is NOT fun, as it entails being attacked by wild Pokemon every few seconds with no reprieve, navigating areas that look the same, and getting lost as a result. Diving made this WORSE, as it basically added another "floor" to surfing segments, which was the last thing they needed. Also relected by the abundance of water, is the abundance of new Water-type Pokemon. By the end of the game, I was sick of them.

- Far too many legendaries, most of which are overpowered, and therefore unusable in most games. Again, the fact that most of the Pokemon in the 3rd generation are unlikeable applies here too.

It's true that R/S/E introduced some of the most important mechanics in the series; natures, the physical/special split, 2 vs. 2 battles, etc, but those mechanics are now present in all 4 generations, so R/S/E now offers nothing over any of the other generations, and is now the most dull in terms of presentation.

D/P started the physical special split, not RSE.

Unicorn

Ben2749 said:

physical/special split of attacks is from Gen 4, not 3

edit: beaten.

even more reason Gen 3 was a waste. Even at the time I remember thinking "they're making another pokemon? maybe I AM too old for this."

but then Gen 4 came out and I gave it another shot, "Nah, gen 3 was just a weak point in the franchise." and now SS has me all, "fuck I'm 12 years old all over again!" with stars in my eyes and dreams filled with pokemon. It's marvelous.

Wiseblade

Oh man, where do I begin...

Ben2749 said:

I swear, half of my posts are dealing with this kind of blind nostalgia. do I need to post pics of kangaskhan and dunspare again?

- Too much damn water on the map. Surfing is NOT fun, as it entails being attacked by wild Pokemon every few seconds with no reprieve, navigating areas that look the same, and getting lost as a result. Diving made this WORSE, as it basically added another "floor" to surfing segments, which was the last thing they needed.

Umm, tall grass and caves entail being attacked by wild Pokemon every few seconds. Repels are there for a reason. And how did diving make things worse? I prefer my Pokemon games with a greater emphasis on exploration, thanks.

Generation 4 is far worse in this regard, and nobody complains about that. Also Hoenn's legendaries are some of the coolest pokemon ever.

20091223220608!383Groudon.png

Umm RSE didn't make the physical/special split. 2v2 battles were far more utilised in Emerald than they have ever been. I don't see any other regions with double battle Gym Leaders. Most dull in terms of presentation?! RSE had unpresendented variation at the time. From a sandstorming desert to a soot covered town to a rooftop village to an island with a secret underwater entrance, every area in Hoenn was unique. Not to metion that Emerald is still the fastest pokemon game around.

Balb

Ben2749 said:

When I look at the g/s/c designs, particularly the early Pokemon (spinarak, hoothoot, sentret, ledyba, stantler, sudowoodo etc) I'm not particularly impressed. I agree that r/b/y had the best and most organic designs, but Gen 2 certainly wasn't amazing.

Also, I'm not really sure why everyone in this thread thinks there's "tons of water" in r/s/e. Yeah there's that one segment near the end with the diving stuff, but that's really overblown by the game's "critics".

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Check your PMs Balb.

You really can't complain about the encounter rate in one generation over another. You should be using repels if it bothers you.

Johto definitely had the worst selection. Least number of new Pokemon, too many baby forms, and since the early areas are still full of Pidgey and Rattata it hardly feels like a new locale at first.

After playing through HGSS, I'm going to have to say that Gen IV dethrones Gen II as the best Pokemon series. DPPt has better gameplay mechanics, more diverse environments, way better pacing, and Pokemon with more useful/interesting type combinations and movepools. Sucks to your nostalgiar.

jdogmoney

To be fair, though, I fought more tentacool in Sapphire than any person should ever have to. Maybe if there was more variance in surfing that section would have been better-received.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
After playing through HGSS, I'm going to have to say that Gen IV dethrones Gen II as the best Pokemon series. DPPt has better gameplay mechanics, more diverse environments, way better pacing, and Pokemon with more useful/interesting type combinations and movepools. Sucks to your nostalgiar.
Good way of diverting around the "better pokemon" point.

Unicorn

Sixfortyfive said:
Check your PMs Balb.

You really can't complain about the encounter rate in one generation over another. You should be using repels if it bothers you.

Johto definitely had the worst selection. Least number of new Pokemon, too many baby forms, and since the early areas are still full of Pidgey and Rattata it hardly feels like a new locale at first.
Um, each iteration has added 100 new pokemon. This statement is just out and out false.

Sixfortyfive

Jokey665 said:
Soft resetting for good natured/iv'd legendaries is so boring... Damn you, Suicune!
Takes about half an hour for me to catch a perfect one via RNG abuse now.

I had about 250 Premiere Balls stocked up before I went on my legendary catching spree in Platinum. I still have close to 100 on there. Really wish there was an easy way to trade them all over to HGSS.

Unicorn said:
Um, each iteration has added 100 new pokemon. This statement is just out and out false.
Can you count?

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
Takes about half an hour for me to catch a perfect one via RNG abuse now.

I had about 250 Premiere Balls stocked up before I went on my legendary catching spree in Platinum. I still have close to 100 on there. Really wish there was an easy way to trade them all over to HGSS.
This is where the Emerald cloning glitch comes in handy. Unlimited master balls for life!

Sixfortyfive

Jokey665 said:
Yeah well I need my SID for that, which means I need a shiny. Also I don't really know how RNGing works.
You only need your SID if you're specifically looking for shinies. Doesn't matter for nature/IVs.

Wiseblade said:
This is where the Emerald cloning glitch comes in handy. Unlimited master balls for life!
Premiere Balls or nothing.

Jokey665

Sixfortyfive said:
You only need your SID if you're specifically looking for shinies. Doesn't matter for nature/IVs.
Oh really? Damn!

So is there a trick to easy RNGing? I have the smogon link explaining it, and I've skimmed it before but it seemed very confusing

Edit: Wait, can you RNG in HGSS? Don't you need the coin flip app?

Gravijah

This will be the game I finally abuse the RNG system for. I'm going all out in this game, my final goal being: building a team and taking on the Battle Frontier.

Also, how does the RNG system work in HG/SS?

Zilch

Banned
Bentendo said:
Earlier in the thread people were discussing the possibility of the creators using Pokémon voices from the anime in the game. I was looking around the director's blog and found this interview with IGN:

To which he replied:

Ah, the classic Nintendo excuse: "we want the players to imagine that [because we're lazy and you'll buy our products anyhow, bitch]".

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone know how much worse DS games look enlarged on the DSi XL? I saw the DSi was on sale and was contemplating buying it to replace my DS Lite with the broken shoulder guard.

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
This will be the game I finally abuse the RNG system for. I'm going all out in this game, my final goal being: building a team and taking on the Battle Frontier.

Also, how does the RNG system work in HG/SS?

I doubt poeple have cracked it yet. But chances are it's just as broken as Platinum. I doubt we'll see anything as exploitable as Emerald again.

cvxfreak

Trojita said:
Anyone know how much worse DS games look enlarged on the DSi XL? I saw the DSi was on sale and was contemplating buying it to replace my DS Lite with the broken shoulder guard.

I don't think they look worse at all. In fact I prefer the larger screens for all my games.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is going to sound wildly stupid.. but how do I get back to the Main menu without turning off the DS and back on again? :lol

It's a real pain every time I want to load a Pokemon on the pedometer.

enzo_gt said:
Good way of diverting around the "better pokemon" point.
Specifically left out that argument because it's subjective. What does "better pokemon" even entail? I think some people prefer Gen II designs because they follow much closely to Earth-based animals than Gen IV. I prefer most of Gen II's designs myself, but there some sweet Gen IV ones also.

You can catch Pokemon across all four generations in Sinnoh anyways, which renders whatever you were trying to argue completely moot.

The other arguments are pretty much incontrovertible. Route 47 blew my mind the first time I went there because the way its laid out is completely different from the rest of the game.

Sixfortyfive

Jokey665 said:
Oh really? Damn!

So is there a trick to easy RNGing? I have the smogon link explaining it, and I've skimmed it before but it seemed very confusing

Edit: Wait, can you RNG in HGSS? Don't you need the coin flip app?
I would try to do it exactly according to the Smogon article just once in order to get the hang of it. I'm not going to lie. You'll probably need a whole afternoon just to get used to it, as that article isn't the easiest thing to understand. It gets way easier with time though. Make sure you have RNG Reporter and JavaRNG. The latter includes a timer program that makes it much easier to keep track of your time than using an external clock. I can probably answer specific questions.

The RNG reportedly functions the same way in HGSS as it does in Plat, but I don't know if people have found easy ways to exploit it yet.

Wiseblade

Jtwo said:
This is going to sound wildly stupid.. but how do I get back to the Main menu without turning off the DS and back on again? :lol

It's a real pain every time I want to load a Pokemon on the pedometer.

L+R+START+SELECT (soft reset)

Bentendo said:

To which he replied:

Don't the Pokemon speak their names in the text? At least in the American versions? I swear I remember talking to a Pikachu in the game and it said "Pika... Pika" in the text box.

Boney

Banned
upandaway said:
Yeah. In any case after about an hour I still only see Spearows and Aipoms so I just give up. Sorry for acting weird (I just saw your list being much longer and the Azalea town listed and I immediately thought you listed the Forest one).
Just go east of Ekruteak city. That's what I did 10 years ago, and on my first try this time I got a Heracross. Also got Pineko on my first headbutt :D

Eteric Rice

Inferno313 said:
Don't the Pokemon speak their names in the text? At least in the American versions? I swear I remember talking to a Pikachu in the game and it said "Pika... Pika" in the text box.

Only Pikachu does, I think. The others say their own thing.

Top Bottom