• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
I know you can get Vulpix like RIGHT after her, but I don't think you can get it yet. Do you want me to catch you one?

Where/when do you get them? I haven't caught either.

Unicorn

FINALLY MY EEVEE EVOLVED INTO ESPEON! NOW TO LEVEL IT UP 47 TIMES!

My Arcanine will be so devastating once I get to that point...:lol

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Turns out Pikachu is really good against Whitney's Miltank. Her stomp gets her Paralyzed, Thunder brings her down to the red zone. Huh, never would have thought.

Gravijah

Oh shit I actually got Steelix to appear. Please don't die...

Edit: Booyakasha! Too bad I probably won't use her...

Edit2: Shit, does the
Lapras
in Union Cave reset? I ran away from it because... well, please don't ask why.

Edit2.5: Every Friday and in the
Safari Zone
... OK I'm good.

isny

napkin dispenser
Ugh, can't get any heart scales. They were insanely easy to come by in D/P =(

Anyone have a ton in D/P and would be willing to give me a few?

Fugu

Alright Red Gyarados, I don't like you, and don't like me. Actually, that's a lie, I do like you, I just want you to stop having shitty natures.

Be jolly, damnit!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I thought about RNG abusing the red Gyarados, but considering that he wanders around aimlessly, he'd likely fuck it all up and make it harder than it's worth. I'll settle for just a nature sync.

isny said:
Ugh, can't get any heart scales. They were insanely easy to come by in D/P =(

Anyone have a ton in D/P and would be willing to give me a few?
Use the PokeWalker they are in the Beautiful Beach course. Otherwise the Pokeathlon has some once in a while and they are pretty cheap (I think 1000 pts)

3 things...

1, Where do you get Eevee from? Do you only get one throughout the game?
2, where do you get Exp. Share from? I feel like I should have it by now...
3, Wait... You can find Pokemon with the radio? That's neat. I thought its only purpose was for making weird noises in Ruins of Alph.

I love Oak's talk station, though. "Ratata, if you look at it from a different angle, you'll burst out laughing!"

Pretty sure you get only one Eevee in all of HGSS. Exp. Share you get for trading the Red Scale to Mr. Pokemon. I think I first realized this about 200 hours into the original G/S.

Why would you do that? said:
3 things...

1, Where do you get Eevee from? Do you only get one throughout the game?
2, where do you get Exp. Share from? I feel like I should have it by now...
3, Wait... You can find Pokemon with the radio? That's neat. I thought its only purpose was for making weird noises in Ruins of Alph.

I love Oak's talk station, though. "Ratata, if you look at it from a different angle, you'll burst out laughing!"
1. You get 1 Eevee from Bill in Goldenrod city (Via breeding you can obviously get more)
2. After capturing/beating the Red Gyrados you'll get a red scale that Mr. Pokemon will exchange his exp. share with
3. Prof. Oak will tell the location of pokemon swarms every day. After beating the Elite 4, you can tune in on Hoenn Sound (on wednesdays) and lure out Hoenn pokemon specific routes and Sinnoh Sound (on thursdays).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So now I found my HM slaves <3

Tentacruel - Cut/Surf/Waterfall/Whirlpool
Magmar - Headbutt/Rock Smash/Strength/Rock Climb + Flame Armor for quick hatching
Togetic - Fly + Flash

thefil

Ookami-kun said:
So now I found my HM slaves <3

Tentacruel - Cut/Surf/Waterfall/Whirlpool
Magmar - Headbutt/Rock Smash/Strength/Rock Climb + Flame Armor for quick hatching
Togetic - Fly + Flash

Way too many HMs in a game when you need 2 and a half Pokemon just to be able to use them all...

Anyone have tips for Steel gym leader? I have a level 32 Magmar, but her Steelix is still beating me up something awful. Alternatively, somewhere to level my fire Pokemon up would be nice, Tentacruels have Bubblebeam.

Gravijah

thefil said:
Way too many HMs in a game when you need 2 and a half Pokemon just to be able to use them all...

Anyone have tips for Steel gym leader? I have a level 32 Magmar, but her Steelix is still beating me up something awful.

You don't need to have all those Pokemon in your party always. Stuff like Waterfall/etc isn't used very often.

WTF! So I'm currently in Kanto, thought I was stuck here until the SS Aqua would sail again or once fixing the Magnet Station. So I was about to go to the Power Plant, but as I'm about to fly over to Cerulean City, I notice that I can fly to the Indigo Plateau... once I landed there I could fly all over Johto...

Ondore

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Pretty sure you get only one Eevee in all of HGSS.

You could get it in the Game Corner in Celadon City as well, but it costs 6,666 coins. Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Doh.. I feel so stupid. Just spent the last hour attempting to beat Pryce, wondering how his Pokemon were so over leveled. I looked at my trainer card and realized I still had two gyms to go to before his.

Apparently I felt compelled to go right from Ecruteak rather than left. /facepalm

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Aigis said:
Am I misreading something or is the available guide only half of a guide? And the other half isn't out yet?

..wat
First guide is Johto + Johto Pokemon. Second is Kanto + National Pokemon + End game.

Johto guide is over 350 pages, and Kanto guide is over 500.

Thanks for the answers.

I'm progressing through this game little by little. I feel like I've been playing it forever, yet there's still so much more... I'm about to enter Leader #4's gym with 3 Lv. 30 Pokemon.

Metroid Killer said:
WTF! So I'm currently in Kanto, thought I was stuck here until the SS Aqua would sail again or once fixing the Magnet Station. So I was about to go to the Power Plant, but as I'm about to fly over to Cerulean City, I notice that I can fly to the Indigo Plateau... once I landed there I could fly all over Johto...
That's pretty neat. It used to be much harder to go between Johto and Kanto before the train and cruise.

Zilch

Banned
Whitney is reeeaaaally easy if you trade a Drowzee for a female Machop at the Dept Store in Goldenrod. :lol

Got my Dratini at the Game Corner this morning. Getting 2100 points ain't no thang.

Boss Doggie

Eh I can handle Trainers well with the three spaces. And even then my Togetic can manage.

Speaking of Togetic, can I pretty much deny Eevee's evolution to Umbreon, then wait for morning and level up Eevee so he becomes Espeon?

Ookami-kun said:
Eh I can handle Trainers well with the three spaces. And even then my Togetic can manage.

Speaking of Togetic, can I pretty much deny Eevee's evolution to Umbreon, then wait for morning and level up Eevee so he becomes Espeon?
Yup just press B while it's evolving

Bentendo

I've been meaning to ask this. If a Pokémon starts evolving and you stop it from evolving, is there a way to make it evolve later on in theg ame or will it always be stuck in its current form. For example, if Totodile starts to evolve into Croconaw, and you stop it, is there a way to start the process again later on in the game?

Bentendo

Zilch said:
Every time it levels after that it will try to evolve again unless it's holding an Everstone.

Oh wow really? Thanks for the answer! Sometimes when I start thinking about pressing the B button I just have to do it and then restart to the last save. Is that weird? :lol

Boss Doggie

Metroid Killer said:

Ah cool. I always thought if eevee had decided to evolve into an Umbreon it will do so regardless of the time. XD

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
I remember how in the anime they explained that you do this through your Pokedex or something. It basically screws anyone without a Pokedex out of canceling an evolution!

In other news, I just dropped my DS when I did my thing on my throne. Game froze immediately. I lost about an hour, in which I kind of went all over the place battling trainers I skipped after Gengar sweeped my whole team with Shadow Ball.

So yeah, I just shut the game off and put it away. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have enough energy to replay all of that. It really sucks because it froze during the battle where I almost beat the 4th gym. I was fucking there.
It sucks even more because I constantly tell myself to save whenever possible. And the one time when I didn't this happened!

Edit: I might as well put my nicknames up since I got my whole team chosen
Quilava - Lava Leo (Burning Leo from Kirby)
Slowpoke - Broseph (I can never escape from putting one 'bro' in my team)
Vaporeon - Aquana (the German name for him, no clue about German but I thought it was pretty cool)
Koffing - Smokes (aka Sssssssssssssssssmokes)
Heracross - Takamura (from Hajime no Ippo)
Sandshrew - Slash (I got nothin')

Gravijah

upandaway said:
I remember how in the anime they explained that you do this through your Pokedex or something. It basically screws anyone without a Pokedex out of canceling an evolution!

In other news, I just dropped my DS when I did my thing on my throne. Game froze immediately. I lost about an hour, in which I kind of went all over the place battling trainers I skipped after Gengar sweeped my whole team with Shadow Ball.

So yeah, I just shut the game off and put it away. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have enough energy to replay all of that. It really sucks because it froze during the battle where I almost beat the 4th gym. I was fucking there.
It sucks even more because I constantly tell myself to save whenever possible. And the one time when I didn't this happened!

There's as reason I save EVERY FUCKING TIME I CAN. And there's a reason I had 9 Persona 3 saves over two memory cards... :lol

upandaway

Gravijah said:
There's as reason I save EVERY FUCKING TIME I CAN. And there's a reason I had 9 Persona 3 saves over two memory cards... :lol
Yeah, and this is like the 3rd time something like that happened to me with this save file (first two were due to battery). I guess I need a good wake up slap to the face every time I let off on the saving.

DustoMan

Banned
So I'm in the Pokemon School and this guy on the right is asking me what my Group name is so I can mix records and events in the Union room with other people. How does this work exactly? Is this something we all can do?

Wiseblade

DustoMan said:
So I'm in the Pokemon School and this guy on the right is asking me what my Group name is so I can mix records and events in the Union room with other people. How does this work exactly? Is this something we all can do?
Yeah, but what gets swapped is mostly meaningless stuff like mow many coins you got in Voltorb flip or what you got in the bug catching contest.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Gatdam Morty.

My team was terribly underlevel, so it's understandable, but he and his ghoulie pals nearly killed me off.

I thought I had outsmarted him.
I brought my Drowzee out and used Disable whenever he tried to use Sucker Punch. It nearly killed me though. I swapped out and used Togetic.

Finally, I used Yawn. He fell asleep and I damaged him down to like 1HP with my dying Togetic (he used Curse and Mean Look on me before I could get him to sleep, though :<)

Then he woke up and used a Hyper Potion. I Yawned to try to get him to go back to sleep, but the fucker used Hypnosis and we BOTH WENT TO SLEEP. Then I died from my curse while he laughs and heals from his berry. Bastard.

I used my Spiky-Eared Pichu to kick his ass with Volt Tackle though.

Gtfo Morty.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm about to enter Morty's gym with a team of level 20 guys. Should they be higher, or is that good enough? Magby, Elekid, Bayleef, Staryu, Ghastly, and that damn Murkrow I can't get rid of.

Gravijah

ivysaur12 said:
I'm about to enter Morty's gym with a team of level 20 guys. Should they be higher, or is that good enough? Magby, Elekid, Bayleef, Staryu, Ghastly, and that damn Murkrow I can't get rid of.

I had 4 Pokemon in the early 20s when I fought him. It's doable, try it and find out.

upandaway

ivysaur12 said:
I had a 17, an 18, a 19, a 21 and a 24, and Gengar's Shadow Ball one-shot every single one of them (well it only one-shot Quilava because he was at half HP, but still). It was also faster than all of them so I didn't touch him.

It's horrible. Absolutely horrible.

Okay, I'm so happy I wasn't he only one with trouble with Morty. :lol

I decided to try to beat him without grinding, and I finally beat him with my Croconaw with Bite... but when it came to Gengar, I used Graveler, Lv.25.

I had to be reeeeally lucky, though. I had to hit him with the rock move that hits 2 - 5 times (forgot what it was called) 5 times, and I had to endure a Shadow Ball, which sometimes OHKO me and sometimes left me with 3-7 health.

Top Bottom