• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mudkips are nothing special, right?
I should be able to get one at the Trade Station for basically nothing?

Gravijah

Jtwo said:

Why go to the trade station when you can get one here? I've got like 50 in a box on my pearl when I wanted a shiny one.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Jtwo said:

Yes, but keep in mind (unless they've changed it) you will have had to seen a Mudkip/Marshtop/Swampert, to trade for it. You may be better off asking someone on here.

Jokey665 said:
...Buy items? Let me guess, you have 983259283752938 money and no healing items?
I wish. :( I try and catch every new Pokemon I encounter, so I've been buying tons of Balls, while at the same time trying to conserve some money for the future ceremony of buying a million of everything for the Elite Four.

I don't know, I guess I feel they're not really fair overall, but it's probably because I'm just not used to them.

Bentendo

When exactly do I get to choose a
first-gen starter
? Is it when I arrive in
Kanto
? And finally, is is pretty easy to get one or is it a challenge???

Edit: Forgot to spoiler tag.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, thanks guys! :lol
I'm in slowpoke well right now, but I'll head to the Pokecenter ASAP.

Bentendo said:
When exactly do I get to choose a first-gen starter? Is it when I arrive in Kanto? And finally, is is pretty easy to get one or is it a challenge???
You can't get it before getting all 16 badges and beating Red, then if you visit Prof. Oak he'll let you choose one

Teknoman

Why would you do that? said:
I've gotta say, I don't like the... Abilities? I don't know what they're called.

I mean the thing where, if you touch a Pokemon with poison quills, you'll be poisoned, or if you touch an Electric one, you'll be paralyzed.

I feel like it's a little unfair, especially if you're in a cave or forest, or on a field, without a Pokemon center.

Buy items, remember its still an RPG at heart. Plus dont forget that you might have asked your Mom to save some of your cash from battles.

Gravijah

Oooh ooh! I think I've found a fun little set to use on my Umbreon!

Umbreon (Quiet/Maybe modest?) Rest/Sleep Talk (or Snore?)/Dark Pulse/Still unsure... Psychic/Shadow Ball...Maybe Toxic?

Any opinions?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything special you have to do to connect to WFC in SoulSilver?
I turned off WPA and left the connection open, and switched it wireless B only just to be safe but it still won't let me connect.

I also just fired up Big Bang Mini and it connects no problem.

EDIT:
Oh, DUH! :lol
Gotta configure it in the main menu.
I always forget that menu even exists because I constantly just leave my DS in sleep mode.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've gotta say, I don't like the... Abilities? I don't know what they're called.

I mean the thing where, if you touch a Pokemon with poison quills, you'll be poisoned, or if you touch an Electric one, you'll be paralyzed.

I feel like it's a little unfair, especially if you're in a cave or forest, or on a field, without a Pokemon center.

It adds strategy. Don't use physical attacks on those Pokemon, use special attacks instead and you won't be affected.

ryan-ts

Anyone want a Kadabra lvl 17 or Haunter lvl 18. Unfortunately Kadabra only knows teleport edit* added Shadow Ball, Focus punch and Attract

Get yourself a fully evolved Pokemon. I don't care what I get in return, just wanna trade with someone.

Code is 3481 4726 3775

Salaadin

Andrex said:
It adds strategy. Don't use physical attacks on those Pokemon, use special attacks instead and you won't be affected.

I like it too. I mean, I absolutely hate it when Im affected by it but I dont wish for them to remove it. Having a Pokemon with those abilities can be useful especially if youre fighting someone who uses a lot of physical attacks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright!
My friend code is 1076 2982 6618!

Also, how time consuming of a process is it to transfer stuff from my Pokemon Pearl?
I don't have many, but I do remember having some cool Pokemon in that game.

Sure Ryan! I'm adding you right now!

ryan-ts

Jtwo said:
Alright!
My friend code is 1076 2982 6618!

Also, how time consuming of a process is it to transfer stuff from my Pokemon Pearl?

Sure Ryan! I'm adding you right now!

which one do you want? or do you want both?

edit: my friend traded my kadabra :lol , hope thats okay

edit 2: sweet, thats the one you wanted.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, just kadabra is fine.
I guess we just did it though! Thanks!

Also, is there voicechat on this shit? Holy fuck! Did not know that!

Harpuia

Oh heartscale. You always make me bust my ass to get at least ONE of you. :/ Well, so far I'm in Cianwood, grindin' the pokes up to 29.
The team so far:
Espeon- lvl 28 (He's my favorite. :D)
Croconaw-lvl 24
Flaaffy-Lvl 23
Crobat- Lvl 24
Scizor- Lvl 23
Bellosom- Lvl 23

So far so good! The gyms are considerably harder, and so far, Bugsy has been the only one to ko my team. But yeah, they are definitely much harder than their G/S/C counterparts.

I really want to play this on wi-fi (when I get the game that is) to trade and fight with you guys, but I'm scared to change my WPA2 protection to WEP. Is there a way to quickly switch beteen WPA2 and WEP protection, so that if I want to trade/fight I change my protection to WEP, and if I'm done I change it back to WPA2. How much of a hassle is the constant changing?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Not that much of a hassle at all, just sign on to your router and uncheck the WPA box.
Then when you're done go back and turn it back on.

Also, are any of you guys around to trade me a mudkip? :]

Chorazin

Jtwo said:

It's not bad....if you have another DS laying around, and plenty of trashpokes to send over to the other game.

If not, you'll need to find someone willing to meet you on the WFC, get your stuff from Pearl, then trade it to your SS/HG cart. :(

Nayishiki

Jtwo said:
Not that much of a hassle at all, just sign on to your router and uncheck the WPA box.
Then when you're done go back and turn it back on.

Also, are any of you guys around to trade me a mudkip? :]

I'll give you one FC is 3653 2713 6337

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome!
Adding you know, mine is 1076 2982 6618 but I just posted that a few posts up.

Teknoman

Wow...somehow I dont have a Growlithe at all. I've gone through Fire Red, Ruby, Diamond, and Platinum, yet still dont have one :lol

Guess thats one i'll be looking for in a trade.

Oh and hopefully a few people will still be up for a casual Saturday Showdown. Just using whatever Pokemon you currently have and trying to win.

TacticalFox88 said:
I need to find a way to transfer my shiny Lugia and Shiny Ho-Oh to SS. No one where I live has the game....

Wi-fi via people on GAF? I'd like to think people around here are trustworthy enough.

GasProblem said:
I really want to play this on wi-fi (when I get the game that is) to trade and fight with you guys, but I'm scared to change my WPA2 protection to WEP. Is there a way to quickly switch beteen WPA2 and WEP protection, so that if I want to trade/fight I change my protection to WEP, and if I'm done I change it back to WPA2. How much of a hassle is the constant changing?
A couple options you can consider, if you don't feel like enabling/disabling WEP/WPA...

1, you can get that Nintendo Wi-fi dongle that allows you to connect your DS and Wii to it. You have to plug it in any computer with Internet. (Actually, those might be useful for playing in colleges and other places with Wi-fi that you can only unlock through an Internet browser. You can also play over 3G and stuff.)

2, you can set your router so that it blocks/allows users through MAC address. That's how I have mine set up. If you set up an Allow list, you can ensure that only the devices you Allow can connect to your Internet.

Balb

Why did they make the box management slower? For some picking the Pokemon in your party to deposit feels unresponsive.

Chorazin

A couple options you can consider, if you don't feel like enabling/disabling WEP/WPA...

1, you can get that Nintendo Wi-fi dongle that allows you to connect your DS and Wii to it. You have to plug it in any computer with Internet. (Actually, those might be useful for playing in colleges and other places with Wi-fi that you can only unlock through an Internet browser. You can also play over 3G and stuff.)

If you can find one, they are great. I'm using one, and if you're willing to screw with it enough to get it working, you're good to go. It seems like it's always a major pain in the ass to get your DS working with it, but after you do it's all gravy.

Also, they simply don't work in Windows 7, has issues in Vista, and Nintendo says they aren't going to make drivers for since it's discontinued. :(

Gravijah

TacticalFox88 said:
I need to find a way to transfer my shiny Lugia and Shiny Ho-Oh to SS. No one where I live has the game....

If you have WiFi and want them transferred, I'm usually around. I'm pretty sure quite a few people can vouch for me, I'm not one to steal 'Mons.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Nayishiki!
Wow, this is the first time I've ever traded a Pokemon. :lol
This is too awesome.

Togepi just hatched and has Extrasensory. Is that standard for this one? I thought it could only be obtained by breeding for it (on Togepi at least)

Chorazin

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Togepi just hatched and has Extrasensory. Is that standard for this one? I thought it could only be obtained by breeding for it (on Togepi at least)

Mine had it when it hatched as well, I never remembered Togapi being a bad ass in the other games. I threw it in the Pokewalker for a day and when he came back his Extrasenory was owning bitches. :lol

Chorazin said:
Mine had it when it hatched as well, I never remembered Togapi being a bad ass in the other games. I threw it in the Pokewalker for a day and when he came back his Extrasenory was owning bitches. :lol
Awesome, that is good to know. I loves me the psychic type.

Echoes

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Yup. My Platinum one doesn't have it. I advice on raising it; my Togekiss is kicking asses and claiming names. So rad.

EzLink

Banned
So when exactly do you get the national dex? Is it after the Johto E4 but before going to Kanto? I want to delay going to Kanto for as long as possible to savor every moment! But I want the national dex so I can catch lots of pokeyz in Johto before continuing my quest

Unicorn

ryan-ts said:
Anyone want a Kadabra lvl 17 or Haunter lvl 18. Unfortunately Kadabra only knows teleport edit* added Shadow Ball, Focus punch and Attract

Get yourself a fully evolved Pokemon. I don't care what I get in return, just wanna trade with someone.

Code is 3481 4726 3775
How'd you get a haunter under 25? Gastly evolves at 25

Gravijah

Unicorn said:
How'd you get a haunter under 25? Gastly evolves at 25

You can find certain Pokemon in the wild that are lower than the level they evolve at.

Edit: Alright no more worrying about this teambuilding crap until I'm later in the game, it's making me stop and think too much. Just gonna use what I have.

kzn

Neo Member
Does anyone have a Bold/Calm Wobuffet with encore that I can steal? (long shot, I know)

I don't really have anything interesting to offer atm but I'll hunt something down if its not too much work - I'm grinding before Jasmine on SoulSilver.

[edit] Never mind, lucked out on the first breeding this will be amazing

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Gravijah said:
Oooh ooh! I think I've found a fun little set to use on my Umbreon!

Umbreon (Quiet/Maybe modest?) Rest/Sleep Talk (or Snore?)/Dark Pulse/Still unsure... Psychic/Shadow Ball...Maybe Toxic?

Any opinions?
Healing moves aren't so great for the quest. Why waste a moveslot on them when you have potions? I usually don't use highly defensive Pokemon like Umbreon in the quest for the same reason, though I did have a lot of success with a Bronzong in Plat.

Andrex said:
It's not just a physical/special thing either. It's about moves that make "contact." Earthquake, for example, is physical but doesn't make direct contact with the enemy and therefore won't get you paralyzed via Static.

DarthWufei said:
Out of curiosity, is there a list of nice places to train EVs in HG/SS?
I'll get around to this after I'm done with the quest, but it's taking a while. Really sucks that there's nothing as reliable as the Vs Seeker in HGSS. It's probably going to make EV training something more of a chore.

Trojita said:
So who are the HM Mule Pokemon in this game?
Seems like Sandscrew and Tentacool do some good coverage.

EzLink said:
So when exactly do you get the national dex? Is it after the Johto E4 but before going to Kanto? I want to delay going to Kanto for as long as possible to savor every moment! But I want the national dex so I can catch lots of pokeyz in Johto before continuing my quest
Yes after beating the Johto E4 you'll get your national dex when talking to Oak at Olivine harbor.

upandaway

An exercise in frustration.

I cannot believe they went the Double Team route on a fucking gym leader. Needless to say I will NEVER hit a Pokemon that used Double Team even ONCE, 95% accuracy for me becomes 20%, 30% for the enemy becomes 95%, and worst of all, I flinch every damn time there's any sort of chance of it happening.

I won't make it through this gym leader, I just won't. I cannot do anything to anyone without having 25 utterly unlucky events.

By the way, my team's levels are 22, 23, 23, 25 and 26. Yeah I know it's underleveled, but I SWEAR to god, if only my luck was normal, I would have beaten him. For 4 fights in a row I consistently flinched with both Heracross and Slowpoke every time Primape used Rock Slide. EVERY TIME. I could not do any attack (and even if I could, I will probably miss because Primape always starts the fight with one Double Team).

What the hell is going on? Pokemon was never like this. I'm not exaggerating the situation, I swear.
It's like the game is forcing me to go grind off Tentacools until my team is 27 minimum. I even battled every trainer in the sea. This is dumb.

upandaway

Jokey665 said:
There are moves that never miss and pokemon that are immune to flinching...
I don't want to be forced to go back through the sea all the way back and start to alter my team just because the game decides to cheat. It really shouldn't happen.

Edit: There's also Hypnosis. I don't think I ever saw that move miss against me in the game yet.

upandaway said:
An exercise in frustration.

It's a good thing I still had Whirlwind on my Pidgeotto at that point. The level spikes are getting up there though. If you don't level up some, the next the gym leader will likely give you trouble.

Just picked up the 6th badge but I seemed to have missed Rock Smash. I wonder how far I can go without it?

Top Bottom