• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PounchEnvy said:
Didn't receive a figurine since I just got the game today. How long until the mystery egg hatches? I'm planning on having every single starter on my real playthrough but I don't want to waste a perfectly good egg while I'm playing.

It should hatch around Goldenrod, if you a) have the fire starter b) Walking around a lot and c) Do nearly everything in Goldenrod instead of blowing through as fast as you can.

Plaguefox said:
Was looking at the OP

When the hell did Pokemon get this complicated I mean what the hell am I even looking at here?

It's as deep as you want to be. Personally, I don't go for EV/IV unless I have the ability (read: Pokesav) to change the Pokemon as I want for competitions. In the main story, I don't give a shit about the ability or stats so long as that Pokemon is able to kick the other ones ass in front of it.

There's an extreme lack of Double Battles in this remake, which is a good and bad thing. :lol

Yeah! That! It's similar to Voltorb Flip, but not exact. IIRC, the game was much more luck/roulette than logic/Minesweeper like Voltorb Flip. I kinda like the Voltorb Flip version better, but I dislike having to randomly guess where a non-Voltorb is at times.

Just to make sure he sees this if he didn't see my post:

Metroid Killer said:
Aww just got it confirmed that the Arceus event that is currently going on here in Europe can't be downloaded to HG/SS only D/P/Pt... Kinda sucks when one need to use it for HG :(

If you can use a Gamestop one in the EU copy, I can easily clone/duplicate any of the current released events off my Platinum cart for you to use. Doesn't matter if you trade me a crap Pokemon as it'd be released anyway. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Plaguefox said:
Was looking at the OP
2ujmp94.png

When the hell did Pokemon get this complicated I mean what the hell am I even looking at here?

Comparison of IV values for all the Pokemon, cross referenced with their EVs and Natures.

Why would you do that? said:
Huh? Whirlpool was always in the game. /beaten

Actually, since I didn't have any concept of HM slaves, my Feraligator from back in the day had Surf, Cut, Earthquake, and Whirlpool.
Heh. Just like my first Venusaur in Blue. His nickname was Bub and he was running Cut, Vine Whip, Razor Leaf and Solar Beam. Oh yeah.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Heh. Just like my first Venusaur in Blue. His nickname was Bub and he was running Cut, Vine Whip, Razor Leaf and Solar Beam. Oh yeah.
Pikachu with Thundershock/Thunderwave/Thunderbolt/Thunder.

Oh yeah. I was that guy.

Balb

Eteric Rice said:
Wait, since when were those stupid whirlpools in G/S?

God damn it, did they add MORE HMs to this fucking game? How many HMs are there in HG/SS?

FUCK.

They were ONLY in g/s iirc ;)

TheSeks

They were ONLY in g/s iirc ;)

No, they were in ALL three versions. I should know as after my Silver silver copy got Stolen, I got Crystal for Christmas and had to redo the story. :lol

I should see how different the games maps are from G/S/C by using the old Versus Books guide I have around here somewhere. Holy fuck that guide (actually, nearly all the Versus Books guides) kicked major ass.

Teknoman

Man I dunno if I should go ahead and start trading my pokemon over from platinum (sure is easy to get lots of pokemon to trade via pokewalker) or just wait until i'm further in the game. :lol Just got to Azelea town.

Balb

TheSeks said:
No, they were in ALL three versions. I should know as after my Silver silver copy got Stolen, I got Crystal for Christmas and had to redo the story. :lol

I should see how different the games maps are from G/S/C by using the old Versus Books guide I have around here somewhere. Holy fuck that guide (actually, nearly all the Versus Books guides) kicked major ass.

Well crystal was implied...

survivor

Banned
Teknoman said:
Man I dunno if I should go ahead and start trading my pokemon over from platinum (sure is easy to get lots of pokemon to trade via pokewalker) or just wait until i'm further in the game.
Are you gonna use the Platinum Pokemon for in-game battling and the story? I usually like to just use the Pokemon I catch in-game since it provides more challenge.

Dineren

Banned
Received SoulSilver Monday from Amazon. Been pleasantly surprised with the Pokéwalker, it's quite fun being able to catch pokémon on the go whenever I have a spare minute or two. Anyone know how many pokémon are actually available on it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
I think we were all that guy.

Nah. I hated Thundershock, I considered it utterly useless next to the vastly superior Thunderbolt. So I usually had some weird TM move in its place. I also usually didn't care about statuses so I took out Thunder Wave as well...

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
Nah. I hated Thundershock, I considered it utterly useless next to the vastly superior Thunderbolt. So I usually had some weird TM move in its place. I also usually didn't care about statuses so I took out Thunder Wave as well...
I sold all my TMs for money.

Didn't help that you wouldn't have a clue what the moves did until you had already learned them either.

Teknoman

survivor said:
Are you gonna use the Platinum Pokemon for in-game battling and the story? I usually like to just use the Pokemon I catch in-game since it provides more challenge.

Probably not. Yeah i'll probably just trade over event pokemon. Got a few low levels that I wanted to train on Platinum, but its probably just best to wait and see what I can get from the walker/in game.

Lkr

survivor said:
Level 37? It was on Serebii, unless you already that level and didn't learn the move.
oops, i was on the rse dex. damn it, so wtf do i do with pidgeotto? no moves until 37 :\

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
So do you guys think SoulSilver and HeartGold are better than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?

HGSS > GSC > DPPt > RBY >>> RSE

IMO of course. Never did play FrLg but SoulSilver is making me want to.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU----------

loaded up my Plat cart to xfer the pichu and jirachi, and I get this on both wonder cards...

"You have already received this pokemon before."

OMGWTF??? How is that possible? I got one from Gamestop, and the other from Wi-Fi.

anyone have a clone/supe they would be willing to trade for me? :D :D

survivor

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
So these new remakes are the best yet?

Now I'm thinking about getting it. I may get this over Inifinite Space.
While HG/SS is probably better than Infinite Space, I think it would be better to get Infinite Space now since it will probably disappear and become one of these rare games later on. Unless of course you are not planning on getting Infinite Space, then get HG/SS now and be a happy man :D

Teknoman

Damn it Kangaskhan, come back! Is there anywhere in game that tells you what the "special" pokemon are for each walker route, or do you have to rely on websites/guides?

kzn

Neo Member
So I started a new game while I had a pokemon on my pokewalker and now I can't reset it or anything >.>

The manual thing is useless.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
HGSS > GSC > DPPt > RBY >>> RBE

IMO of course. Never did play FrLg but SoulSilver is making me want to.

DPPt > RSE >>>>>>>>>>> GSC >>> RBY

IMO. HGSS seem kind of weird. For every thing it improves over Platinum, it takes a step back somewhere else. I dunno, I'll judge for myself next week when it comes out.

TheSeks

Wiseblade said:
DPPt > RSE >>>>>>>>>>> GSC >>> RBY

IMO. HGSS seem kind of weird. For every thing it improves over Platinum, it takes a step back somewhere else. I dunno, I'll judge for myself next week when it comes out.

This biggest issue I have with G/S/C remake is the fact it forces the touchscreen for nearly everything that D/P/Pt didn't with the ability to use buttons on the menu.

X->up/down->a

Here: X->up/down/left/right->a, a to open the Pokedex, left/right/up/down..

Just god.

That flippin' Voltorb game is pissing me off. It's like a more frustrating version of Minesweeper. Either I'm not thinking through a lot of these games or the number of "lol is it this combination or that combination" is driving me nuts. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The touch screen integration is specifically (one of the reasons) why I like it a lot better. DP felt very clunky like they were halfway through development on the GBA before being quick ported to the DS.

Plus it doesn't get better than touch and drag box management.

TheSeks said:
This biggest issue I have with G/S/C remake is the fact it forces the touchscreen for nearly everything that D/P/Pt didn't with the ability to use buttons on the menu.

X->up/down->a

Here: X->up/down/left/right->a, a to open the Pokedex, left/right/up/down..

Just god.
Touch screen menus are demonstrably faster. Hell, I wish the Pokemon games had full touchscreen controls a la Zelda PH/ST. I HATED the fact that I couldn't use the touchscreen functionality in Pearl.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Touch screen menus are demonstrably faster. Hell, I wish the Pokemon games had full touchscreen controls a la Zelda PH/ST. I HATED the fact that I couldn't use the touchscreen functionality in Pearl.

2qwd8x5.jpg

Fugu

Because my pokemon are breeding like goddamn rabbits, I am currently beating the game with two pokemon (graveller and pidgeotto) and carrying around four scyther eggs.

I can navigate the menu much faster without touch screens with the only catch being that the conventional controls are crippled in HG/SS; if they weren't, I would never use the touch screen.

Sixfortyfive

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
One more stupid question, but does HeartGold/SoulSilver have all the new Pokemons from Diamond/Pearl?
Nah. Most but not all.

Andrex said:
The touch screen integration is specifically (one of the reasons) why I like it a lot better. DP felt very clunky like they were halfway through development on the GBA before being quick ported to the DS.

Plus it doesn't get better than touch and drag box management.
There are a lot of things about this interface that are slightly slower than Platinum's, even if you use the touchscreen properly. I could list several.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Why incorporate new technology if you half-ass it and it ends up being inferior to what you had in the first place? All of this is simple shit that should have been brought up in QA.

TheSeks

Fugu said:
I can navigate the menu much faster without touch screens with the only catch being that the conventional controls are crippled in HG/SS; if they weren't, I would never use the touch screen.

SixFortyFive said:
There are a lot of things about this interface that are slightly slower than Platinum's, even if you use the touchscreen properly. I could list several.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Why incorporate new technology if you half-ass it and it ends up being inferior to what you had in the first place? All of this is simple shit that should have been brought up in QA.

This and this.

Oh, and:

Hell, I wish the Pokemon games had full touchscreen controls a la Zelda PH/ST.

If they did, I would not buy the game. Touch screen controls cripple more than they help, IMO. Esp. as a left-hander and most games not even flipping the goddamn HUD/menus for lefties.

The only touch-screen driven game series I can enjoy is Trauma Center, and that's mostly because the touch screen isn't required to be touched ALL THE TIME to move and blah, blah, blah.

Sixfortyfive said:
Nah. Most but not all.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Why incorporate new technology if you half-ass it and it ends up being inferior to what you had in the first place? All of this is simple shit that should have been brought up in the Design Spec.
Fixed.

I agree that half-arsing it produces an inferior product. I want the full shebang. Essentially, if I can't play through the entire game without touching a button once, you have failed at integrating touchscreen controls into your game.

Still, I'm grateful for touchscreen menus and drag and drop box functionality.

TheSeks said:
If they did, I would not buy the game. Touch screen controls cripple more than they help, IMO. Esp. as a left-hander and most games not even flipping the goddamn HUD/menus for lefties.

The only touch-screen driven game series I can enjoy is Trauma Center, and that's mostly because the touch screen isn't required to be touched ALL THE TIME to move and blah, blah, blah.
To be sure, Nintendo's implementation of touchscreen controls isn't perfect, even in Zelda ST, but it's pretty darn close. In the case of Zelda, I can't even imagine how you'd integrate D-pad movement with the rest of the controls (the most common complaint).

Pokemon, on the other hand should have full touchscreen controls and button controls as option, because I can't see a situation where the use of either one would break the game (unlike Zelda ST). That way, people like me who appreciate ease of use and streamlining are satisfied, just as reactionary dinosaurs like you would be.
:p

Sixfortyfive

TheSeks said:
Lefties have an advantage in Trauma Center, as our right thumb just so happens to hover over the pause button during gameplay, allowing for some really cheap opportunities to just stop time and collect ourselves for a moment when needed. :lol

But yeah. I'm fine with completely button-driven games, and I'm fine with completely stylus-driven games. Those that try to incorporate both usually fuck something up, and HGSS fucked a few things up for its interface compared to Plat, particularly for left-handed players.

Fugu

Pokemon, on the other hand should have full touchscreen controls and button controls as option, because I can't see a situation where the use of either one would break the game (unlike Zelda ST). That way, people like me who appreciate ease of use and streamlining are satisfied, just as reactionary dinosaurs like you would be.
:p
I think options is an important word that a lot of developers seem to forget about. There's nothing wrong with providing options.

Poyunch

:lol

How do you get a JPEG to animate like that?
If I remember correctly all gifs are counted as "jpg"s. I guess it could make for a great shock image if someone didn't know this.

Personally, I didn't like Fire Red/Leaf Green. While I loved Gen 1, I felt that they were subpar remakes, with music not nearly as good and little extra content. HG/SS has really good music and is jam-packed with about a million extras. It feels less like a remake to me and more like a reimagining.

kzn said:
So I started a new game while I had a pokemon on my pokewalker and now I can't reset it or anything >.>

The manual thing is useless.
From Bulbapedia:
Returning a Pokémon
A Pokémon can be restored to the game it was taken from if a Pokéwalker is lost or broken by pressing the following buttons at the Pokéwalker connection screen:
Press and hold Up, Select, and R
Resetting a Pokéwalker
At the Pokéwalker connection screen:
Press and hold Down, X, and L

Fugu

Except where it breaks the game. It's always up to the dev, unfortunately.
Well I figured that was implied, but I don't see how diverse menu functionality or touch controls would break pokemon of all games.

Top Bottom