• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Bentendo

Did anyone else have a really hard time beating Petrel the second time with his five Koffings and one Weezing? I didn't lose but it took FOREVER.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Big Ass Ramp said:
Turns out Pikachu is really good against Whitney's Miltank. Her stomp gets her Paralyzed, Thunder brings her down to the red zone. Huh, never would have thought.

Muscle/Traded in Goldenrod Department Store level 5 with a Drowsee is actually good against Whitney. I failed two times because we traded blows and her Milktank finally flinched me and took me out the next turn, but after that I rocked her ass hard with Karate Chop action. :lol

Also got a high level Spearow from the dude north of Goldenrod, evolved it into a Fearow, bred it for my own gain (have to give it back to a dude on route 31 to deliver the message), and have two eggs (seems Ditto and "Kenya" got extremely busy while I was at the Pokeathon, oh those crazy kids).

Need to do some more of the game in a little bit. :lol

survivor

Banned
I don't know what's wrong with me but I have been putting off playing the game. I have just been looking at Serebii's pokedex looking for Pokemon I want on my final team. Right now I have these guys in mind

Typhlosion
Heracross
Red Gyarados
Honchkrow (maybe, I don't know if I can easily get a Dusk Stone)
Ampharos

Any suggestion for last Pokemon? I'm not looking for anything competitive, just a Pokemon that I can easily find and that looks cool. I'm thinking Steelix, but still I have to evolve him and it's pretty hard.

I took down Morty's Gengar easily by
stalling out his Sucker Punch with Pidgeotto's Sand Attack. Sucker Punch only has 5 PP so after those 5 uses, I just Gusted it over and over. Having a Normal type in your party is key. :p

Seriously, I had much more trouble with Morty's
Hypnosis/Dream Eater Haunter

Gravijah

survivor said:
I don't know what's wrong with me but I have been putting off playing the game. I have just been looking at Serebii's pokedex looking for Pokemon I want on my final team. Right now I have these guys in mind

Typhlosion
Heracross
Red Gyarados
Honchkrow (maybe, I don't know if I can easily get a Dusk Stone)
Ampharos

Any suggestion for last Pokemon? I'm not looking for anything competitive, just a Pokemon that I can easily find and that looks cool. I'm thinking Steelix, but still I have to evolve him and it's pretty hard.

You can catch Steelix wildly, though it's rather rare.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gravijah said:
You can catch Steelix wildly, though it's rather rare.

Buh?

I could swear the Pokedex says there is a few in the Lighthouse/fifth,sixth gym area along with Onix.

But honestly, you can get Onix EXTREMELY early in a Bellspout for Onix trade at the first gym (Eucreak?) town. I've been rocking him in my team since, I just need the Steel Coat (I think Scyther comes with one?) item to trade him to my Platinum and back for a Steelix.

survivor

Banned
Screw this 2% chance. Will take me years to do it. I will just go transfer a Metal Coat from Platinum I guess. The only one in the game is in SS Aqua and the ones that come with Pokemon have 5% chance of happening.

Gravijah

survivor said:
Screw this 2% chance. Will take me years to do it. I will just go transfer a Metal Coat from Platinum I guess. The only one in the game is in SS Aqua and the ones that come with Pokemon have 5% chance of happening.

I ran into a Steelix there if you want one, I have no use for it.

Bentendo

TheSeks said:
Buh?

I could swear the Pokedex says there is a few in the Lighthouse/fifth,sixth gym area along with Onix.

But honestly, you can get Onix EXTREMELY early in a Bellspout for Onix trade at the first gym (Eucreak?) town. I've been rocking him in my team since, I just need the Steel Coat (I think Scyther comes with one?) item to trade him to my Platinum and back for a Steelix.

They're also common in the Safari Zone.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
survivor said:

Butterfree with Compound Eyes (double chance of held item appearing), and Thief. It will take a lot less time and resources to find the item you want.

survivor

Banned
Gravijah said:
I ran into a Steelix there if you want one, I have no use for it.
Would appreciate it if you don't mind trading it to me :D

@EvilMario: thanks for the tip. Didn't know about the secondary ability of Butterfree. Now I have to go look for one.

Gravijah

survivor said:
Would appreciate it if you don't mind trading it to me :D

@EvilMario: thanks for the tip. Didn't know about the secondary ability of Butterfree. Now I have to go look for one.

Crap sorry I missed this, my FC is 1419 8897 5769, just hit me back with yours and I can trade whenever you want.

survivor said:
4254 5690 6333

Thanks a lot for Steelix. Will save me a lot of time.

Edit: Thanks for Steelix. Wanted to give something better in return but I have nothing useful yet.

A unique trainer ID for the lottery thing is fine enough for me. =P

survivor

Banned
Gravijah said:
Crap sorry I missed this, my FC is 1419 8897 5769, just hit me back with yours and I can trade whenever you want.
4254 5690 6333

Thanks a lot for Steelix. Will save me a lot of time.

Edit: Thanks for Steelix. Wanted to give something better in return but I have nothing useful yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've been grinding in Victory Road so much I know the layout like the back of my hand. :lol Good thing though is my Gyarados is almost lvl 50. :)

Andrex said:
I've been grinding in Victory Road so much I know the layout like the back of my hand. :lol Good thing though is my Gyarados is almost lvl 50. :)
Tell me about it! I grinded Victory Road so much I ended up with a Shiny Golbat!

Right now I'm trying to get a fucking female Combee! Argh how rare can they bee? I've been breeding for an hour now and got half a box full of male combee goddammit! :lol

Edit: And the second after I hit reply a female Combee hatches! Woohoo!! :D

Gravijah

Ahhh crap, what should I turn my Eevee into? The only options, based on my team composition right now, would be Umbreon, Glaceon or Leafeon. Ergh... What should I do?

upandaway

Gravijah said:
Ahhh crap, what should I turn my Eevee into? The only options, based on my team composition right now, would be Umbreon, Glaceon or Leafeon. Ergh... What should I do?
You got a different water type? I knew before I started the game that I would have a Vaporeon on my team. So awesome.

Go with Umbreon though. I used him on my very first Silver playthrough I think, and he was pretty awesome.

I feel really really stupid because I just found out I had Shadow Claw in my TMs all along. Morty will be dead in no time!

survivor

Banned
Been playing the coin flip right now. I got to level 4 and have around 420 coins. Not bad. At first the game was really hard, but then when I started marking the cards with bombs, it kinda made it easier. Now the only thing is when they give me no free rows, I have no clue how to begin it.

Gravijah

upandaway said:
You got a different water type? I knew before I started the game that I would have a Vaporeon on my team. So awesome.

Go with Umbreon though. I used him on my very first Silver playthrough I think, and he was pretty awesome.

I feel really really stupid because I just found out I had Shadow Claw in my TMs all along. Morty will be dead in no time!

Slowking is my Water/Psychic, so I've got those covered... I guess I'll go with Umbreon. Ooh he's very defensive, what nature should I go with? I'm used to... very offensive Pokemon. :lol

Edit: Hell I'm not really sure how to build him period.

Bentendo

Metroid Killer said:
Right now I'm trying to get a fucking female Combee! Argh how rare can they bee? I've been breeding for an hour now and got half a box full of male combee goddammit! :lol

HAHAHA I see what you did there.

upandaway

Gravijah said:
Slowking is my Water/Psychic, so I've got those covered... I guess I'll go with Umbreon. Ooh he's very defensive, what nature should I go with? I'm used to... very offensive Pokemon. :lol

Edit: Hell I'm not really sure how to build him period.
I have a Slowpoke too, but that doesn't stop me!
I just noticed and I'll probably get a Jolteon again now. Man I always end up with Jolteon

Actually... this requires further thought. If I get rid of Slowpoke instead... argh. I'm having two water types and that's it.

By the way as expected, Morty's down. I'm still pissed though because he used Hypnosis maybe 8 times and it worked for ALL 8. This game is fucking broken oh my god. I ended up winning with only my Quilava at 12 health.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So for these lvl 33 Ursarings I keep encountering, on one I used Hydro Pump with Gyarados and it got him down to the yellow. But Aqua Tail OHKOs them. :lol Really didn't think it'd be that obvious.

On that note Waterfall wasn't as great as I thought it'd be. Still better than Hydro Pump though, and it does have great accuracy. :)

Wonder which physical Dragon attack I should make him re-learn, as Hyper Beam is probably a joke as well...

ReiGun

Finally picked out the team I'm gonna complete the main quest with: Kangaskhan, Togepi, Eevee, Magnemite, Tentacool, and Vulpix. Naturally gonna evolve those last five. Also nice to continue my tradition of ditching Gen 2 starters. :D

Gravijah said:
Well if Espeon isnt an option, I'd go for Umbreon.

survivor said:
Been playing the coin flip right now. I got to level 4 and have around 420 coins. Not bad. At first the game was really hard, but then when I started marking the cards with bombs, it kinda made it easier. Now the only thing is when they give me no free rows, I have no clue how to begin it.

I was having a tough time with it until I started thinking about the game with respect to multipliers instead of bombs. Up to level 7 right now...sucks how you can't save your progress; you always have to start at level 1.

survivor

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
I was having a tough time with it until I started thinking about the game with respect to multipliers instead of bombs. Up to level 6 right now...sucks how you can't save your progress; you always have to start at level 1.
Yep. First I was thinking of how many Voltrobs there are. Then I realized that just adding the numbers and figuring out the missing number is much better.

But such a cheap trick that if you quit you go back to level 1. BTW anyone know how do you lose a level? I was struggling with level 3 and the game just put me back into level 2.

survivor said:
Yep. First I was thinking of how many Voltrobs there are. Then I realized that just adding the numbers and figuring out the missing number is much better.

But such a cheap trick that if you quit you go back to level 1. BTW anyone know how do you lose a level? I was struggling with level 3 and the game just put me back into level 2.

If you lose or quit too many times, you get demoted. Just picked up 729 coins on level 6. :D

Bentendo

Right now my team consists of:

*Feraligatr
*Pidgeot
*Ampharos
*Larvitar (in the process of evolving this dude)
*And two HM slaves

For the Elite 4 and Champion I'll have the first four (instead of Larvitar I'll have Tyranitar), probably either Rapidash or Ho-Oh (probably Rapidash since I want to beat it without using a legendary this time), and... I don't know. Any suggestions? I was thinking about using Mamoswine but I've never used an ice type Pokémon before in a big battle so I don't know if that's a good choice or not.

survivor

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
If you lose or quit too many times, you get demoted. Just picked up 729 coins on level 6. :D
Is the game still giving you free rows/columns? That was pretty much the only thing that prevents me from winning.

survivor said:
Is the game still giving you free rows/columns? That was pretty much the only thing that prevents me from winning.

You mean rows/columns that have 0 Voltorbs? Nope. :/

I'm resorting to educated guessing with a lot of these in the beginning. For example, blindly clicking squares with a 10/1 row with a 7/1 column. I think I've gotten lucky on a few 50/50 chances on this streak though. I just know I'm going to lose because one of those. :lol

Damn, I've narrowed down my level 7 game to a 3x3 grid with 3 multipliers left. Not sure if I want to risk my 162 current coins to gun for level 8. But I don't want to get demoted for quitting too many times. >_<

Gravijah

Hm... seems like I'd want a nature that lowers speed and raises atk, def or sp def for my Umbreon. Still trying to figure this out.

Note: This Umbreon is for in game fun use only, so while I want to get a good nature, I don't really care too much about the BEST nature. And then of course I'll want good IVs...

survivor

Banned
Man that's exactly what I do. Matching up the ones with high numbers with other ones. Generally it works.

So what's the highest level anyone on GAF got to? I wanna know if it's possible to get to something like level 10 cause the TM prices are insane.

EDIT: Gravijah, Relaxed and Sassy might help you. The both lower speed, Relaxed increases Def while Sassy increases Sp Def. Though they really might not be the best natures I would go with one that increases Sp. Def so you can just use Curse. Even things up.

Bentendo said:
Right now my team consists of:

*Feraligatr
*Pidgeot
*Ampharos
*Larvitar (in the process of evolving this dude)
*And two HM slaves

For the Elite 4 and Champion I'll have the first four (instead of Larvitar I'll have Tyranitar), probably either Rapidash or Ho-Oh (probably Rapidash since I want to beat it without using a legendary this time), and... I don't know. Any suggestions? I was thinking about using Mamoswine but I've never used an ice type Pokémon before in a big battle so I don't know if that's a good choice or not.

Gyarados with Dragon Dance.

As long as you can cover for the weakness you'll be fine, that rule isn't absolute. You'll find Pokémon sharing types even in some teams that are used competitively.

Feraligatr can be used in a similar fashion though, so if you go with DD Gyarados you might want to set Feraligatr apart with another moveset entirely.

Okay, down to a 2x2 grid with two multipliers left. 50% chance of netting 1296 coins and moving to level 8. 50% chance of losing my current 324 coins.

Those are good odds to go for it, right?:lol

hemtae

So I've just beaten Morty, and gone out into route 38 were I ran into a magnemite that I caught. So should I replace Flaffy with it? On one hand, Magnemite evolves into the superior Magnezone, on the other hand Flaffy is trained to a decent level and on the freakish third hand, Flaffy has done fine so far

survivor

Banned
hemtae said:
So I've just beaten Morty, and gone out into route 38 were I ran into a magnemite that I caught. So should I replace Flaffy with it? On one hand, Magnemite evolves into the superior Magnezone, on the other hand Flaffy is trained to a decent level and on the freakish third hand, Flaffy has done fine so far
I think Magnemite suffers from a lack of diverse moves. It only has Electric moves and Flash Cannon. Plus its last evolution is pretty hard to get.

My rule for main game team is: Pokemon that I think look cool/interesting/fun to play with. If that means having some pokemon bad stats or two of the same type, so what? I'm still having fun and since the game isn't harder than it is, pretty much any team will work anyway.

Wow, this is BS. I lost my level 7 game and dropped to level 6. I lost on the level 6 game clicking a 7/1 and 6/1 intersection. Then I get dropped to level 1. WTF?

I've gotta say, I don't like the... Abilities? I don't know what they're called.

I mean the thing where, if you touch a Pokemon with poison quills, you'll be poisoned, or if you touch an Electric one, you'll be paralyzed.

I feel like it's a little unfair, especially if you're in a cave or forest, or on a field, without a Pokemon center.

Gravijah

Ergh, maybe I'll just go with Brave. Umbreons attack is just a BIT better than his SP Atk. ARGH I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THINKING THIS MUCH! :lol

Jokey665

Why would you do that? said:
I've gotta say, I don't like the... Abilities? I don't know what they're called.

I mean the thing where, if you touch a Pokemon with poison quills, you'll be poisoned, or if you touch an Electric one, you'll be paralyzed.

I feel like it's a little unfair, especially if you're in a cave or forest, or on a field, without a Pokemon center.
...Buy items? Let me guess, you have 983259283752938 money and no healing items?

Kletian

survivor said:

Dont think in terms of free rows with 0 voltorbs, they give you free rows without even realizing it.

2/3 3/2 and 4/1 are all rows that you can mark as either having a Voltorb or a 1 in every square and then ignore those for the rest of the game, you'll never have a multiplier in those rows. Same if you happen to find a 2 multiplier in a 5/1 row, ignore the rest of that row.

It's when I get down to 4 tiles, where I know there are two multipliers left in opposite corners that I sweat as it's a 50/50 chance of success.

Top Bottom