• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Dogenzaka

Banned
My Togetic saved my ass with Chuck.

The bastard had a Poliwhirl which he used 2 HYPER POTIONS and a held berry on. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get the bastard down to 0 HP. I'd put him to sleep 4 times and wittled his health down, and he kept waking up and punching my Pokemans out.

I Yawned him to sleep as Togetic, and then Extrasensory'd his butt a few times. I predicted he would wake up and Yawned again.

He fit in a punch that got me down to 2 HP and Togetic was my last Pokemon.

He fell asleep and I finally Extrasensory'd him again and finally defeated him.

Should have left the fattie under his stupid waterfall.

Feels so good to finally have Fly though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've been having a lot of close calls against gym leaders too. Whitney was the only one I had to attempt multiple times and rethink my strategy on, though.

upandaway

Little Green Yoda said:
It's a good thing I still had Whirlwind on my Pidgeotto at that point. The level spikes are getting up there though. If you don't level up some, the next the gym leader will likely give you trouble.

Just picked up the 6th badge but I seemed to have missed Rock Smash. I wonder how far I can go without it?
Yeah I'm not worried about Jasmine, pretty much any Pokemon I have is strong against her. Worst case I'll use a ton of potions, but I refuse to grind.

By the way Rock Smash I think is just next to where Sudowoodo was, so you can hop there quickly to get it.

Unicorn

upandaway said:
I don't want to be forced to go back through the sea all the way back and start to alter my team just because the game decides to cheat. It really shouldn't happen.

Edit: There's also Hypnosis. I don't think I ever saw that move miss against me in the game yet.
That water section isn't long at all.

Now if you were on cinnabar, you might have an argument

Echoes

JSnake said:
I haven't come close to losing on a gym battle yet and I'm raising a team of six at once.

*knock on wood*
Same.

The game just froze on me, while putting it on sleep mode in the Voltorb game. I lost about an hour of game time plus awesome Safari Pokemons. Fuck this shit :mad:

kzn

Neo Member
Do I still need Lax Incense to breed a Wynaut (I want Encore :() in SoulSilver? Serebii implies I don't but I'm 3 eggs in and haven't got one yet.

If I do, is there anyone with an extra one?

upandaway

Echoes said:
Same.

The game just froze on me, while putting it on sleep mode in the Voltorb game. I lost about an hour of game time plus awesome Safari Pokemons. Fuck this shit :mad:
Yeah I never put Pokemon on sleep mode after it froze on me once way back. I just save and turn it off if I know it's gonna be more than 10 minutes, otherwise I save anyway.

upandaway

kzn said:
Do I still need Lax Incense to breed a Wynaut (I want Encore :() in SoulSilver? Serebii implies I don't but I'm 3 eggs in and haven't got one yet.

If I do, is there anyone with an extra one?
You do need one, I think Serebii says so too in their Breeding section, doesn't it?
I would give mine to you but my Lax Incense was lost due to a bug and I need my only Wynaut.

Edit: aw fuck

Delio

During my playthrough the one gym i had the most trouble with was Chuck. It came down to Noctowl vs Poliwraith and me spamming Nightshade. He got one Body Slam off but my Noctowl is pretty bulky and took it well. Major win for Noctowl considering it was 6 or so levels under Poli lol.

Sixfortyfive

Chuck fell to my newly evolved Espeon and my Togetic w/ Extransensory (still by far its best move lol).

And goddammit, my mom is spending my money after consecutive battles now! The moment I win any prize money it's as good as gone.

Teknoman said:
Isnt there a person ingame that can teach Pokemon moves they might have missed while leveling up?
There should be a Heart Scale tutor somewhere. Don't know where he is in HGSS yet.

cvxfreak

Zapdos has been much harder to capture with an Ultra Ball than either Ho-oh or Lugia... I have a bunch of Master Balls in my copy of Diamond as well as in my GBA games (thanks to replaying them multiple times years back and having had NA and Japanese versions), but I only have a one DS and it's a DSi XL at that. :lol

Delio

I really need to get going capturing the birds now. Just need my Syncronize pokes with the right natures and my Smergle. Sigh i do wish there was a pokemon box to transfer over faster.

isny

napkin dispenser
Chorazin said:
If you can find one, they are great. I'm using one, and if you're willing to screw with it enough to get it working, you're good to go. It seems like it's always a major pain in the ass to get your DS working with it, but after you do it's all gravy.

Also, they simply don't work in Windows 7, has issues in Vista, and Nintendo says they aren't going to make drivers for since it's discontinued. :(

The Nintendo dongles work fine with Windows 7. Just download the drivers from Nintendo's site.

(I'm using Windows 7 Home 32bit and have no issues whatsoever with my Nintendo dongle)

Teknoman

Sixfortyfive said:
Chuck fell to my newly evolved Espeon and my Togetic w/ Extransensory (still by far its best move lol).

And goddammit, my mom is spending my money after consecutive battles now! The moment I win any prize money it's as good as gone.

There should be a Heart Scale tutor somewhere. Don't know where he is in HGSS yet.

Good, now I wont have to worry so much about missing moves :lol

Also I like some of the added graphic/ambient sound touches in HG/SS, especially how the grass looks abit more detailed.

Ondore

Sixfortyfive said:

Blackthorn City, conveniently located in the same house as the Move Deleter.

Andrex said:
Are there no physical Dragon type moves? FML

Dragon Claw is TM 02 and I think it's one of the Goldenrod Lottery TMs, there's also Dragon Rush and Outrage.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just started the game, my Cindaquil's nature is Naughty. Is this good or bad? I see that it raises Attack and lowers special defense or something.

Sixfortyfive

Trojita said:
I just started the game, my Cindaquil's nature is Naughty. Is this good or bad? I see that it raises Attack and lowers special defense or something.
Anything that raises Atk/SpAtk/Speed for your starter without lowering any one of those three is pretty good for the main quest.

jman2050

Sixfortyfive said:
I've been having a lot of close calls against gym leaders too. Whitney was the only one I had to attempt multiple times and rethink my strategy on, though.

I went into Falkner with a few level ~12 pokemon expecting a pushover like in the original game. Got to Pidgeotto, hit him twice to get him to half health as he hit me with Gust.

Then he used Roost.

Yeah... didn't quite see that coming.

Fortunately I managed to burn him with Ember so he eventually went down, but from what my bro has said about the game, the gym leaders actually provide a legitimate challenge this time around assuming you don't overlevel.

ivysaur12

Banned
And... Morty is really hard :lol

Time to train! It's too bad that the team I have doesn't really evolve until either level 30 or with stones. But I really do love the challenge that the gyms have been giving me thus far.

upandaway

For some reason I always have one glaring, huge weakness to any single player team I make.. and this time it's water. Any water Pokemon puts me through hell.

I really hope one of my Pokemon can learn an Electric TM or something.. or I'll have to roll with Leafeon with his 5 weaknesses.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Well, what's a good dark move that I can teach Umbreon early on? I keep getting raped by Kadabras and Umbreon is no help.
Well you're not gonna sweep anyone with Umbreon. You need to utilize his defenses and chip away at the opponent's HP.

jadedm17

ivysaur12 said:
And... Morty is really hard :lol

Time to train! It's too bad that the team I have doesn't really evolve until either level 30 or with stones. But I really do love the challenge that the gyms have been giving me thus far.

I found Morty to be a pushover. I found an Abra at lv.10 which I'd trained to a Kadabra at lv.27 by the time I hit Morty. He sweeped the whole gym. :lol

On another note, does Roar negate Mean Look? I ran into one of the Legendary dogs shortly after (Raikou I believe?) and felt confident after landing Mean Look right away. My confusion came when he used Roar and the battle ended. Does anyone have Roar's info? I'm confused.

Unicorn

upandaway said:
For some reason I always have one glaring, huge weakness to any single player team I make.. and this time it's water. Any water Pokemon puts me through hell.

I really hope one of my Pokemon can learn an Electric TM or something.. or I'll have to roll with Leafeon with his 5 weaknesses.

Well you're not gonna sweep anyone with Umbreon. You need to utilize his defenses and chip away at the opponent's HP.
Poliwag.
Single-handedly took down Chuck with headbutt.

Sixfortyfive

Six badges down.

Cyndaquil lv29
Togetic lv30
Sudowoodo lv30
Espeon lv30

"With this badge, Pokemon up to lv70 will obey you." Man, that'd be overkill.

jadedm17 said:
On another note, does Roar negate Mean Look? I ran into one of the Legendary dogs shortly after (Raikou I believe?) and felt confident after landing Mean Look right away. My confusion came when he used Roar and the battle ended. Does anyone have Roar's info? I'm confused.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20306097&postcount=27
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20346887&postcount=64

Balb

jadedm17 said:
I found Morty to be a pushover. I found an Abra at lv.10 which I'd trained to a Kadabra at lv.27 by the time I hit Morty. He sweeped the whole gym. :lol

Use Mean Look on the first turn then Taunt on the second turn.

Sixfortyfive said:
Six badges down.
Same here, for a while. I took some off-time, though. Instead of progressing, I used Fly to go to various places... I visited Safari Zone, tried my hand at Voltorb Flip again (it really is easier to get coins from this than the slots), talked to Kurt, got some Apricorns, and now I'm officially on the road to Mahogany.

Edit:
Was it always that you could simply Surf from Ecruteak to Mahogany? I thought you had to go through the whole cave thing... I was all prepared to do that, too...

Balb

Why would you do that? said:
Same here, for a while. I took some off-time, though. Instead of progressing, I used Fly to go to various places... I visited Safari Zone, tried my hand at Voltorb Flip again (it really is easier to get coins from this than the slots), talked to Kurt, got some Apricorns, and now I'm officially on the road to Mahogany.

Edit:
Was it always that you could simply Surf from Ecruteak to Mahogany? I thought you had to go through the whole cave thing... I was all prepared to do that, too...

Yeah it was always like that.

I really don't like the system used for inputting text... like in mail, the PokeGear map, and other places. It is way too limited...

For instance, the place for creating groups is in Violet City, so on the Pokegear Map, I put the word "GROUP" on Violet. Goldenrod has the Name Rater, so I put "NAME" on Goldenrod. It becomes complicated with dates, like "Friday". They say Union Cave has roars from deep in the cave on Friday, so I put "FRIEND" on the map, since that was the closest thing I could find. There's also no word for Apricorns or colors, so I can't note which places have which Apricorns...

Balb said:
Yeah it was always like that.
Hmm... I've only ever played through Gold once ever, so I guess I forget these things...

Is there some sort of hold item that gives a boost to exp gain? I could've sworn I remember there being one this gen but I can't remember what it was called.

Sixfortyfive

HappyBivouac said:
Is there some sort of hold item that gives a boost to exp gain? I could've sworn I remember there being one this gen but I can't remember what it was called.
Lucky Egg. I think it is only found on wild Chansey and is pretty rare at that. It gives a 1.5x boost.

isny

napkin dispenser
Sixfortyfive said:
Lucky Egg. I think it is only found on wild Chansey and is pretty rare at that. It gives a 1.5x boost.

Probably easier to just trade and trade back to get the XP bonus? (If that works?)

Sixfortyfive

isny said:
Probably easier to just trade and trade back to get the XP bonus? (If that works?)
You'd have to train it on a different save file in order to get that EXP boost. If you trade it back to the original file it still only works like normal.

The following three things give a 50% EXP boost:

- using traded Pokemon
- holding a Lucky Egg
- battling against trained NPC Pokemon instead of wild ones

I forget whether they stack multiplicatively or not (1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 or 1.0 + .5 + .5 + .5).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I need a good fire Pokemon for my team.
I caught a Magmy on the Pokewalker and it seems alright.. but it's kind of lame looking.
What are some other good ones?

Top Bottom