• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Gravijah

Guess who got an Adamant Red Gyarados with middle-of-the-road IVs?

Ben2749 said:
I asked earlier, but I think people might have missed it; is there a good Pokedex/strategy guide available for HG/SS yet? One that covers all the important stuff like egg moves/TM moves/Move Tutor moves/etc, and includes ALL Pokemon to date?

The only thing I can recommend is to go to your local gamestore and check 'em out. I have little first hand knowledge with modern Pokemon guides.

Fugu

Ben2749 said:
I asked earlier, but I think people might have missed it; is there a good Pokedex/strategy guide available for HG/SS yet? One that covers all the important stuff like egg moves/TM moves/Move Tutor moves/etc, and includes ALL Pokemon to date?
Well, there's serebii.net which has all of that information and doesn't cost any money, but I'm assuming you're looking for some sort of paper guide.

Defeated Claire without the help of Lapras. Kingdra was the only real challenge, who I managed to beat with the tried and true Thunderwave + Flash combo.

I can't wait for Victory Road so I can start grinding my team up into the 40's.

Current team:

Ampharos - 33
Lapras - 26
Quilava - 33
Dodrio - 33
Furret - 31
Hypno - 32

Is Victory Road like all rock/ground type Pokemon, or will my Quilava/Furret/Dodrio/Ampharos be able to find something to grind on?

Obsessed said:
Is Victory Road like all rock/ground type Pokemon, or will my Quilava/Furret/Dodrio/Ampharos be able to find something to grind on?
golbat.jpg

beje

Banned
Is there a way to have all HM on 2 Pokémon? In DPPt you could have all of them with Golduck and Skarmory, but that no longer works as Defog has been substituted with Whirlpool.

Fugu

Obsessed said:
Defeated Claire without the help of Lapras. Kingdra was the only real challenge, who I managed to beat with the tried and true Thunderwave + Flash combo.

I can't wait for Victory Road so I can start grinding my team up into the 40's.

Current team:

Ampharos - 33
Lapras - 26
Quilava - 33
Dodrio - 33
Furret - 31
Hypno - 32

Well, because it's a cave, it consists mostly of Zubat and Golbat. It's also a really shitty place to train.

Hex

Banned
beje said:
Is there a way to have all HM on 2 Pokémon? In DPPt you could have all of them with Golduck and Skarmory, but that no longer works as Defog has been substituted with Whirlpool.

Lick can hold the most next is furret, but flight and flash would have to go elsewhere no matter what.
So no

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
is the special Pichu event still going on or did I miss my chance? My Pokemon Diamond is at my parents house right now and I won't be able to go home until next weekend.

Also I didn't realize the pokewalker made your pokemon uneligible to gain a skill when it levels. I missed out on Sand Attack with my Pidgey ;_;

beje

Banned
Did some research on serebii and checked that you can have them all with Tropius (cut, fly, strenght, rock smash) and Golduck (surf, whirlpool, waterfall, rock climb) leaving only Flash, which is only useful like 3 times in the whole game, to any random crap you can leave on the PC until needed.

OMG Aero

Ben2749 said:
Bulbapedia

Fugu said:
Well, there's serebii.net which has all of that information and doesn't cost any money, but I'm assuming you're looking for some sort of paper guide.

Yeah, Serebii will always be my first stop for help on anything Pokemon related, but I also like to have a Pokedex in book form for when I'm not at my computer.

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Man why did I decide to fill my pokedex as much as possible... Grinding victory road just to evolve pokemon that I'll never use -_-

Yeah, while I'm trying to keep everything in game, I'm going to use my Pearl Elite Four to level up Pokemon that'll be a part of my team. :lol

Fugu said:
Well, because it's a cave, it consists mostly of Zubat and Golbat. It's also a really shitty place to train.

Oh... Victory Road was usually the best place to train.

So if it isn't the best place to train in this game, what is?

Btw I am talking about level training, not EV training. I just need a spot with some high level Pokemon that give decent EXP.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Metroid Killer said:
Man why did I decide to fill my pokedex as much as possible... Grinding victory road just to evolve pokemon that I'll never use -_-

To make life easier, just have a high level Pickup Pokemon. It'll find Rare Candies every hour, or so after battles, and you'll have a huge stockpile of them to level up your Pokemon.

Or attach an Exp Share to the Pokemon, and just casually play with other Pokemon you really want to level up.

Or use Compound Eyes+Thief Butterfree to steal Lucky Eggs from Chanseys. You should be able to get at least one within an hour.

EvilMario said:
To make life easier, just have a high level Pickup Pokemon. It'll find Rare Candies every hour, or so after battles, and you'll have a huge stockpile of them to level up your Pokemon.

Or attach an Exp Share to the Pokemon, and just casually play with other Pokemon you really want to level up.

Or use Compound Eyes+Thief Butterfree to steal Lucky Eggs from Chanseys. You should be able to get at least one within an hour.
Well I'm using a few of those methods, but when I have 20 low level pokeman that I systymatically need to evolve, nothing can help it from becoming a bit tiring.

If just you could battle trainers on SS Aqua more than once the days it's sailing.

ryan-ts

Does anyone need a Dusk Stone (evolves Misdreavus or Murkrow)? All I ask in return is to trade my Scyther (which will turn into Scizor) back to me.

isny

napkin dispenser
ryan-ts said:
Does anyone need a Dusk Stone? All I ask in return is to trade my Scyther (which will turn into Scizor) back to me.

I'll do the trade for nothing if you want the help and no one else has offered. Just PM me.

Finally got the game today you guys! :D

(I'd take a picture with me holding it, but I got a nasty case of the chicken pox thanks to my lovely older brother...so this is a bitter sweet moment for me. >.>)

Hex

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Does anyone need a Dusk Stone? All I ask in return is to trade my Scyther (which will turn into Scizor) back to me.
I have been wanting to try and evolve my Murcrow so I would love a duskstone

Safari Zone loot:

Magmar x3
geodude
raticate
lickitung
koffing
weezing
poliwag
arbok
ekans
grimer
onix
kangaskhan
nidoranM & F
jigglypuff
rhyhorn
graveler

Think I am done for now. Will come back for Tauros later.

Current team:
6 badges
quilava/31
Ampharos/37 "Wattson"
Stantler/23
Staryu/23
hoothoot/4 (fly slave)
Sentret/8 (Cut slave)

I obviously dont use my hm slaves much. :lol

is it true that I can't place block items in the safari zone until after I get the national dex? I really want to get a Chansey before the Elite Four but it looks like Safari Zone blocks is the only way to get one.

beje

Banned
I'm giving up on my japanese copy, I'll get the PAL release next week. I got it just beacuse I wanted to kill the excitement until the game got a localisation thinking it would take a year as usual for USA plus 3 to 6 more months for Europe, but I'm missing so many things and options because I don't know how they work that the game's not fun anymore after 50 hours of just battling and guessing out basic stuff.

Gonna keep it to transfer the version exclusives and all that anyway.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Is Payback a very good move? ...on a Haunter? I'm thinking about deleting Sucker Punch for it.

No it isn't. Neither is sucker punch. Haunter is weak on the physical side and strong on the special side. You want special moves, not physical ones.

Payback also boosts in power after you are hit. Haunter is weak defensively.

Also does anyone know a good grinding spot for Pokemon in the 30-40's range? I hear Victory Road isn't so hot for grinding now...

beje

Banned
Obsessed said:
No it isn't. Neither is sucker punch. Haunter is weak on the physical side and strong on the special side. You want special moves, not physical ones.

Payback also boosts in power after you are hit. Haunter is weak defensively.

Also does anyone know a good grinding spot for Pokemon in the 30-40's range? I hear Victory Road isn't so hot for grinding now...

Have you already battled the Elite 4? If not, I think the only effective way of avoiding grinding for 10 more levels when you reach there is playing with only 2-3 pokemon (plus HM slaves and cannon fodder) so they get overpowered.

ryan-ts

HappyBivouac said:
is it true that I can't place block items in the safari zone until after I get the national dex? I really want to get a Chansey before the Elite Four but it looks like Safari Zone blocks is the only way to get one.

Yep. Can you make a trade? I'm in the middle of catching one for myself, I can get you one.

Teknoman

ivysaur12 said:
Just realized I can't find my copy of Pearl. Well shit. Guess I'm never gonna get a Magenezone :-\

I guess you could train a Magnemite up to a certain point, trade it to a person with D/P/Plat with maybe 1 rare candy, and have them take care of it?

As far as battles go, I should be around later tonight for some casual fights.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Scyther has been owning people left and right, up until the Steel Gym. Where he gets owned hard by a Magnemite and it's Thunderbolt. :(

My Qualava is like Level 22, the Gym is level 30-39, is there a good place to level my Qualava around there quickly 8 levels?

ryan-ts said:
Yep. Can you make a trade? I'm in the middle of catching one for myself, I can get you one.

I was actually looking to catch a bunch until I got one with a lucky egg. 1/20 chance of getting one, so I'm not going to bother asking you to try for one.

beje said:
Have you already battled the Elite 4? If not, I think the only effective way of avoiding grinding for 10 more levels when you reach there is playing with only 2-3 pokemon (plus HM slaves and cannon fodder) so they get overpowered.

No I haven't.

I am playing with a team of 6. I asked for a place to grind, where the wild Pokemon are levels 30-40.

I do not desire to avoid grinding by abandoning 4/6ths of the Pokemon I've been using since the start of the game. I don't wish to sweep the E4 with two Pokemon.

Obsessed said:
No I haven't.

I am playing with a team of 6. I asked for a place to grind, where the wild Pokemon are levels 30-40.

I do not desire to avoid grinding by abandoning 4/6ths of the Pokemon I've been using since the start of the game. I don't wish to sweep the E4 with two Pokemon.

Two things I'm doing:

Just power through it in Victory Road with Exp. Share on whatever Pokemon can't fight effectively in there.

There's also a tiny patch of grass at the top of a waterfall on the Safari Zone route. Take that first ladder down and surf northwest and go up that waterfall. You can fight lv 35 Miltanks for 1000 exp each, as well as some other things, but you'll also run into Dittos which you should just run from.

Delio

I pretty much only had Victory Road to grind in :x. Exp Share with my Lairon/Aggron hitting everything i was able to grind all 6 of my pokes to 42. I think that's sadly the only place to grind on high levels.

Delio said:
I pretty much only had Victory Road to grind in :x. Exp Share with my Lairon/Aggron hitting everything i was able to grind all 6 of my pokes to 42. I think that's sadly the only place to grind on high levels.

Ok. I thought that would be the case, but someone told me Victory Road was bad for training.

However if you can get all your Pokemon to the 40's then it is good enough for me. That's all I'm hoping for.

Top Bottom