• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ivysaur12

Banned
Obviously a tough request, but does anyone have an extra Electirizer or Magmarizer? I really don't want to wait till Kanto to evolve my Magmar and Eletebuzz. Also, is there any good way like in D/P to copy your Pokemon and their held items with the GTS?

Metroid Killer said:
Doesn't Abonosnow have the most weaknesses in the game(tied with Celebi and others). Aren't they really risky to use?

Yeah, but Ice/Grass is still pretty cool :lol

Fugu

Well, I beat the Elite Four.

Actually, that's not entirely accurate - Gyarados beat the elite four. Incidentally, the only thing that survived more than a single attack was
Lance
's Gyarados.

ivysaur12 said:
Obviously a tough request, but does anyone have an extra Electirizer or Magmarizer? I really don't want to wait till Kanto to evolve my Magmar and Eletebuzz. Also, is there any good way like in D/P to copy your Pokemon and their held items with the GTS?
I aint got the items. You can use the GTS but the risk is that someone will trade before you get it done. You might just wanna use this thread, there are many members who will help you out(myself included, btw you never answered the pm I sent yesterday?)

ivysaur12

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
I aint got the items. You can use the GTS but the risk is that someone will trade before you get it done. You might just wanna use this thread, there are many members who will help you out(myself included, btw you never answered the pm I sent yesterday?)

Oh right, I went to gamefaqs (I know) and found someone. Thank god I got my Pokemon back :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Gravijah said:
You don't have to use the touch screen (Except for some side minigames) and you can even enable one handed mode where it maps A to the L button <--- USEFUL AS HELL
This isn't true for everything, as I was complaining a few pages ago. :( (unless you know secrets I don't)

Your second registered item can ONLY be activated with the touchscreen. You can ONLY turn auto-run on by using the touchscreen, pressing the run button while in auto-run doesn't make you walk, and you can ONLY turn auto-run off by using the touchscreen. I seem to recall one or two dialogs with fancy graphical stuff that were also touchscreen only, but I am not sure.

Fugu

Blizzard said:
This isn't true for everything, as I was complaining a few pages ago. :( (unless you know secrets I don't)

Your second registered item can ONLY be activated with the touchscreen. You can ONLY turn auto-run on by using the touchscreen, pressing the run button while in auto-run doesn't make you walk, and you can ONLY turn auto-run off by using the touchscreen. I seem to recall one or two dialogs with fancy graphical stuff that were also touchscreen only, but I am not sure.
What, select doesn't activate a registered item anymore?

Gravijah

Blizzard said:

Oh, right right. I kinda consider most of that stuff "extra" though. You can still just hold B to run, too.

Edit: Er, let's put it this way. You can play most of the game fine without the touchscreen, you'll miss a few extra things, etc, but you can play without it.

It's been forever I played pokemon, but I'm really enjoying SS. I do have to bitch about the first gym battle though. God damn roost. Jesus Christ.

Finally made it to Blackthorn. I ditched my Weepinbell for a Lapras and I am glad I did so. I can't wait to Perish Song the last Pokemon of every E4 member/Gym Leader.

I'm going to have to grind for a bit so that Lapras can stand a chance.

Team thus far:

Dodrio - 32
Ampharos - 32
Quilava - 33
Furret - 31
Hypno - 32
Lapras - 22

Only ten more levels to go until my Lapras is ready to defeat Claire. Good thing there are Graveler's in the area, and the Pokewalker.

Blizzard

Banned
Fugu said:
What, select doesn't activate a registered item anymore?
Select, start, L, and R in most cases literally do nothing. L can be used as A if you choose that option, and L/R can be used to switch between tabs in certain menus or dialogs, but otherwise they're wasted buttons.

swerve said:
It would not make perfect sense for me. When using always run, I regularly catch myself still holding down the run button. I cannot make myself stop this behavior. I have been taught it for over a decade.

So, making the run button into the walk button would annoy me greatly and result in me not using auto-run. This would possibly make me write a rant on an internet forum about the things which seem to make PERFECT SENSE to me, but possibly not for anyone else.
:lol Sure, but if you hold the run button anyway, why not just NOT use auto-run and hold the button down? It would work for you, and the rest of us could have easy running.

I wish:
I didn't have to decide between deposit, withdraw or move before going in the boxes
I could register repels to the touch screen
I could register 4 items instead of 2
The music didn't change while I was on bicycle (from the start, not just when I move through a door)
Encounter rate didn't go up during running/riding and/or encounter rate was the same as in RBGY
Surfing sprite changed depending on the Pokemon
The touch interface wasn't so slow and clunky
The dowsing machine didn't require an extra click to activate every time the bottom screen blackens out
Ice was super effective against fighting
I could block phone numbers
I could organize the bottom screen with pre-designed buttons (!!)
Dugtrio's sprite didn't look so wrong
Lyra had more than 3 sentences/called no more than 3 times
Those two Rocket Grunts didn't take 1000$ from me more than once
I could run away safely more often
All of these are probably good ideas, though I haven't seen them all myself yet. The touch interface isn't too clunky for me so far when I use it.

Gravijah

I just noticed the Pokeballs on the bottom screen seem to shake when that Pokemon has either a type advantage or a move that's strong against the Pokemon you're fighting. Anyone know which?

Edit: maybe not... what the hell does that mean?

Hex

Banned
I didn't have to decide between deposit, withdraw or move before going in the boxes

Technically you do not have to.
I just do "Move" and then you can drag Pokemon in and out of your party as well as from box to box.

ivysaur12

Banned
Gravijah said:
I just noticed the Pokeballs on the bottom screen seem to shake when that Pokemon has either a type advantage or a move that's strong against the Pokemon you're fighting. Anyone know which?

When they are close to leveling up.

Blizzard

Banned
Hex said:

Technically you do not have to.
I just do "Move" and then you can drag Pokemon in and out of your party as well as from box to box.
Move is the best, and hopefully that was the point. If Move was the default selection, or the only selection, it would be more streamlined. :p Just a minor gripe.

Teknoman

Gravijah said:

About to level up.

Blu_LED said:
He can only learn cut and rock smash. Anyone else that can learn more?

Furret can learn most of them.

Cut, Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash.

And he's not half bad even as a HM Slave. Mine defeated Chuck and Morty almost single handedly.

You could also go with Tauros who has even more power along with: Surf, Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Whirlpool, and Strength.

Gravijah

Obsessed said:
Furret can learn most of them.

Cut, Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, Rock Smash.

And he's not half bad even as a HM Slave. Mine defeated Chuck and Morty almost single handedly.

Shit, I need one of those...

Gravijah said:
Shit, I need one of those...

Just make sure it has Foresight for as long as possible. That is the only reason I defeated Chuck's Double Team Primeape, and Morty's ghosts. (It negates evasion boosts, and makes ghost types susceptible to normal type moves).

Hex

Banned
Lyra on the phone says that something happens if you take Sudowoodo to Rt 36 , but nothing happens when I do.
Any idea what it is if anything?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
SOWuz.png

I love how retarded Quagsire looks. XD

<3

Gravijah

Obsessed said:
Just make sure it has Foresight for as long as possible. That is the only reason I defeated Chuck's Double Team Primeape, and Morty's ghosts. (It negates evasion boosts, and makes ghost types susceptible to normal type moves).

Haha I just need it for HM slaving. For some reason I forgot Rattata learns only two HMs... Hm... anyone have an extra?

Delio

Fugu said:
The game seems to be indicating that I have the pokerus. Is there a way to check on the status screen?

If you look at the pokemon it will have a purple bar that acutally says PKRS.

Teknoman

Wow sometimes moving Pokemon from 20-30 really sucks. It seems like most are in this space where they dont start learning anything really useful until 25.

Poyunch

WHAat?!?!?! I just did the Bug catching contest. I got third place with a Pinsir losing to a Paras in second, and a PINSIR in first. What?!?! I guess I should have looked harder for a Scyther. :lol I lost out on a Butterfree for that Pinsir as well.

edit: Okay so supposedly they take HP into account now. That's annoying. I miss the old way it was done based on rarity.

beje

Banned
Gravijah said:
I'm going to punch this fucking tree! I've headbutted it like 20 times why isn't anything coming out?!

I think that once you headbutt a tree and nothing comes out, that tree is marked as empty forever. Try a different one.

Gravijah

beje said:
I think that once you headbutt a tree and nothing comes out, that tree is marked as empty forever. Try a different one.

It was standing there, all alone, next to the Lake of Rage. IT'S A LIAR! IT TRICKED ME!

Edit: And now comes the resetting game!

I asked earlier, but I think people might have missed it; is there a good Pokedex/strategy guide available for HG/SS yet? One that covers all the important stuff like egg moves/TM moves/Move Tutor moves/etc, and includes ALL Pokemon to date?

Top Bottom