• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

OMG Aero

The only shinies I've ever had outside of the Red Gyarados and the event Pichu are Shiny Tentacool (Original Silver), Shiny Slowbro (LeafGreen) and a Shiny Budew (Pearl using the PokeRadar).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Welp, I wasn't even trying to reset for one;

Latias Timid (Alert to Sounds)

IVs HP/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef/Spd: 2/2/27/31/12/31.

A little soft on the defensive side, but perfect for Choiced, or Life Orb Latias on PBR Wifi. :lol

Where is the move deleter in this game? I caught a Lapras (to replace Weepinbell), so Furret no longer needs Surf.

The Lapras is timid, which sucks since I need to teach it Waterfall at some point, but at least it isn't - special attack which would be even worse.

If it weren't for Waterfall/Surf I could teach it Whirlpool for use with Perish Song.

Lkr

is Pichu a happiness evolution? Will that boost its HP? 54 HP @ lvl 30 on pikachu colored pichu sucks to say the least.

also, finally fucked chuck. yawn with togepi + volt tackle pichu and its a OHKO

Obsessed said:
Where is the move deleter in this game? I caught a Lapras (to replace Weepinbell), so Furret no longer needs Surf.
Blackthorn City (where the 8th gym is). There is a Technique house where you can find a move deleter, move relearner and elemental tutor.

Lkr said:
is Pichu a happiness evolution? Will that boost its HP? 54 HP @ lvl 30 on pikachu colored pichu sucks to say the least.
Yes and yes! Evolve it into Raichu which has 3 times better HP than Pichu!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got up to Olivine, waiting for my DS to recharge so I can power through there (with Quilava) and the Seventh gym to learn Fly/get the badge for that and suddenly speed the game up hella faster. :lol

Gengar in the Fifth gym was a bitch, being 5 levels higher than my Scyther. :( Thankfully, Kenya/the Fearow from Goldenrod had Pursuit as well so it kicked Gengar's ass and helped me win the gym. Thank you, Goldenrod dude. Once I get fly I'll deliver your message! :lol

Edit, I'm also glad that the Battle Frontier is in this game (I was expecting them to stupidly keep the Battle Tower), and that it's inside Olivine and not having to take a boat to it for once. :lol

Wiseblade

Metroid Killer said:
Blackthorn City (where the 8th gym is). There is a Technique house where you can find a move deleter, move relearner and elemental tutor.

Don't listen to him! stick a light ball on that Pikachu, and it'll actually be able to kill stuff. Raichu's not surviving an earthquake anytime soon anyway.

Hex

Banned
On the bug catching contest, is it just level that matters?
I keep getting beat by an 18 or 19 weedle and stuff when I have a 14 or 15 scyther or pincer

Ookami-kun said:
3 hours and still no sign of Chansey... I give up -_-
Wait for the Safari Zone then. I see lots of Chansey there.

Hex said:
I keep getting beat by an 18 or 19 weedle and stuff when I have a 14 or 15 scyther or pincer
lvl and stats (I think). Pre-national dex, Scyther and Pinsir (and Butterfree and Beedrill) are the best pokemon to catch. BUT don't do any damage to them, just throw balls all the time(make them sleep if you can), the more damage the less score you'll get.

Hex said:

Apparently the health you catch it at matters now. Species seems to play a lesser role now.

Unicorn

How many steps are equal to one experience point in the Pokewalker?

edit:

Serebii has my answer:

"1 exp for every step (A Pokemon will not gain any more experience once it has enough for one level, but it will continue to gain happiness)"

ryan-ts

I have 16 badges!

For anyone who has played the game before and is curious about the second half of the game

It's still really short if you just want to get the other 8 badges, looks they added a couple things though (areas, trainers etc)

rusashi

Neo Member
So I've always been a casual fan, put my favorites on my team, etc. Now I want to get a bit more hardcore and methodical, where's a good place to start learning all this stuff?

Gravijah

ryan-ts said:
I have 16 badges!

For anyone who has played the game before and is curious about the second half of the game

It's still really short if you just want to get the other 8 badges, looks they added a couple things though

6 badges, still haven't done the team rocket stuff or lake of rage. And now I'll be busy all night. Damn it! :(

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390158 read through that thread, poster above me.

Obsessed said:
Serebii has info about all the mechanics such as natures/ev's/iv's/etc...

Smogon is the place to go for competitive movesets, trends, tiers, etc...

Oh and while I'm here, where does one get the EXP. Share?

Take the
Red Scale I think it is off of the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage, and then take it to Mr Pokemon.

rusashi said:
So I've always been a casual fan, put my favorites on my team, etc. Now I want to get a bit more hardcore and methodical, where's a good place to start learning all this stuff?

Serebii has info about all the mechanics such as natures/ev's/iv's/etc...

Smogon is the place to go for competitive movesets, trends, tiers, etc...

Oh and while I'm here, where does one get the EXP. Share?

Lkr

Metroid Killer said:

happiness takes for ever to evolve. is there anyway to do it in an hour?

Lkr said:
Bicycle, start south of Goldenrod near the daycare house and go up to the northern gate of Goldenrod and down again and then up again etc.. 15-25 mins in should get you a happy eevee.

Unicorn

Lkr said:
what helped me with eevee:

Go to Goldenrod and in the Dept Store's top floor, there are vending machines. Buy a ton of Lemonades and use those to constantly heal the pokemon while you battle low level pokemon by New Bark. Also, while in Goldenrod there's a hair salon in the underground tunnel, so get that done and it'll raise happiness.

other things:

Put it first in your party
give it a soothe belle to hold
Don't let it faint
level it up
win battles (duh)
use some protein, etc. if you have to spare

there's a lady to the East in Goldenrod who'll let you know how much your pokemon likes you.

Metroid Killer said:
Bicycle, start south of Goldenrod near the daycare house and go up to the northern gate of Goldenrod and down again and then up again etc.. 15-25 mins in should get you a happy eevee.
This is also the best egg hatchin, breeding route I've found in the game. Just a little bit shorter than the path in D/P/Pt

ColtraineGF said:
I've only had a few shinies:

Red Gyarados (duh)
shiny Makuhita (sapphire)
shiny Torchic (Emerald)
shiny Gabite (Pearl)
shiny Zigzagoon(NYC PokeCenter?)
shiny Palkia(traded a guy for my Dialga)
shiny Pichu(US WiFi event)

3 from events, 1 from trade, 3 actually caught.

I've had caterpie (twice), gold magikarp, zubat, diglett, machop, mankey, furrett, bidoof, fearow, wobbuffet and bellsprout.

I have also seen a shiny dratini in safari zone which i failed to catch (FUCK!).

CoolS

Eteric Rice said:
How would an American go about getting that European Pichu with the weird ears? :D

If you're talking about the Spiked Ear Pichu, it's no European thing, You just need two download the Shiny Pichu on DPPt and transfer it over to either HeartGold or SoulSilver, where it will activate the respective event.

Gravijah

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, I have it.

CoolS said:
If you're talking about the Spiked Ear Pichu, it's no European thing, You just need two download the Shiny Pichu on DPPt and transfer it over to either HeartGold or SoulSilver, where it will activate the respective event.

It'll be under Mystery Gift->WiFi or whatever.

Lkr

Metroid Killer said:
really? i thought that was just for egg hatching:lol

Is there a good Pokedex/strategy guide for HG/SS? Every time I buy a new Pokemon game, I always like to get a good Pokedex to go with it. Serebii is by far the most useful resource, but I like to have a reference for when I'm not at a computer.

I don't care that much about the strategy guide portion; it's more the Pokedex I'm after. Too many Pokemon guides these days half-ass it, by only covering so many Pokemon, rather than all of them, not listing egg moves/TM's/Move Tutor moves/etc. I want a good Pokedex that covers everything.

Anyway, I live in the UK, so I won't be getting this until Friday. :-( I've been keeping up-to-date on this topic though for a few days now, and I am SO looking forward to getting sucked into Gold/Silver all over again, as they were my favourite generation. My interest in the series has dwindled somewhat since then, and I'm fully expecting this to restore my faith in the series.

I have to admit that some of you have got me a little concerned about the touch screen controls. I abhor touch screen controls in games that don't need them, so can I still run about and navigate menus with the D-Pad?

Jeels

Whatever happened to that one guy who said every Pokemon would have multiple sprites with unique traits like the spiky eared Pichu.

Gravijah

Ben2749 said:
I have to admit that some of you have got me a little concerned about the touch screen controls. I abhor touch screen controls in games that don't need them, so can I still run about and navigate menus with the D-Pad?

You don't have to use the touch screen (Except for some side minigames) and you can even enable one handed mode where it maps A to the L button <--- USEFUL AS HELL

Jeels said:
Whatever happened to that one guy who said every Pokemon would have multiple sprites with unique traits like the spiky eared Pichu.

Wii Will Rock You? Permabanned.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For those consider Pikachu (with Light Ball), or Raichu, there's a few things to look at.

One, Pikachu does not have time to setup Nasty Plot, because IT WILL DIE if it does not start attacking. That said, it is more powerful than Raichu before setting up and can score a number of OHKOs Raichu will miss out on (not counting Nasty Plot).

Secondly, Pikachu can't use Volt Tackle thanks to its pitiful HPs. If it happens to use it against something with over 100 base HP, it will be taking massive damage.

And last, Pikachu is a bit slower than Raichu (don't listen to the anime), which can cost him dearly sometimes.

Nothing is cooler than sweeping someone with a Pikachu though. :D

Ben2749 said:
I'm liking the touch controls big time. Though it's my first DS game so I don't have anything to compare it with. Everything can be controlled with the D-pad :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hex said:
What is the best nature for a Vulpix/Ninetails?

Edit (and Scyther)

Vulpix/Ninetails really want Timid (+Spd, -Atk), or Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk). Although if you're in game, anything that boost speed, or special attack without hurting either of those stats will do (ie, naive, hasty).

Scyther wants Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk) most times, but Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk) works for him in game as well.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gravijah said:
Pinsir actually evolves into Heracross. 100% fact.

Pinsir would be awesome as a Ground/Bug. It would give him a bunch of handy resistances, and he would receive STAB Earthquake with Mold Breaker which makes me salivate just thinking about it. Resisting Poison/Fighting/Ground and being immune to Electric (and thus Thunder-Wave) would be amazing, but Fire/Water/Ice/Flying weakness would definitely be an issue.

And as for Farfetch'd, Flying/Fighting would be great. It'd be a unique type, and it would be a great STAB combination blasting through Rock/Steel Pokemon with the fighting move, and the rest with Flying moves. Hopefully Close Combat and Brave Bird. :D

Echoes

So, I got the Silver Wing and went to Whirl Islands, but I can't find Lugia. Am I missing something? Must I finish the 8 badges first? I recently got the 7th.

7 Badges
24:35

Team:
  • Togekiss - 37
  • Venusaur - 39
  • Typhlosion - 38
  • Poliwhirl - 34
  • Gabite - 38

ivysaur12

Banned
EvilMario said:
Pinsir would be awesome as a Ground/Bug. It would give him a bunch of handy resistances, and he would receive STAB Earthquake with Mold Breaker which makes me salivate just thinking about it. Resisting Poison/Fighting/Ground and being immune to Electric (and thus Thunder-Wave) would be amazing, but Fire/Water/Ice/Flying weakness would definitely be an issue.

And as for Farfetch'd, Flying/Fighting would be great. It'd be a unique type, and it would be a great STAB combination blasting through Rock/Steel Pokemon with the fighting move, and the rest with Flying moves. Hopefully Close Combat and Brave Bird. :D

Yup, that is basically what I'm picturing.

EDIT: Also, I wonder if Torkoal is going to get one. Doesn't Ash have on in the anime? He had a Aipom and then it got an evolution.

Dogenzaka

Banned
upandaway said:
Jasmine was out as easily as I thought she would be.

However, I battled every single trainer I saw now, and I'm still 2-3 levels lower than some of you guys after the 6th gym (all 26 except Heracross at 27). Worried like fuck because of Dogenzaka saying Pryce uses water Pokemon... I'm not battling that guy until my friend comes over and I can get my Leafeon.

The gym might have some water Pokemon, but they ALL know ice-type attacks so your Leafeon would be fresh meat unless it has some good status-inflicters and good speed.

They wiped out my Weepinbell pretty quickly, but at least I got to use some Sleep Powder/Poison Powder to help out my Pichu, Marshtomp and Cyndaquil.

ryan-ts

Echoes said:
So, I got the Silver Wing and went to Whirl Islands, but I can't find Lugia. Am I missing something? Must I finish the 8 badges first? I recently got the 7th.

7 Badges
24:35

Team:
  • Togekiss - 37
  • Venusaur - 39
  • Typhlosion - 38
  • Poliwhirl - 34
  • Gabite - 38

You need something else now, and yeah I think you have to have all 8.

What are some other interesting unused type combos?

I really like Quaigsire for his Ground/Water combo of only having weakness. Same with Drapion's Dark/Poison onyl being weak against Ground.

ivysaur12

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
What are some other interesting unused type combos?

I really like Quaigsire for his Ground/Water combo of only having weakness. Same with Drapion's Dark/Poison onyl being weak against Ground.

I think Abonosnow's is cool. Same with Tropius. Then again, I'm partial to Grass types.

EzLink

Banned
Gravijah said:
You don't have to use the touch screen (Except for some side minigames) and you can even enable one handed mode where it maps A to the L button <--- USEFUL AS HELL

Shit what? That's fucking awesome! Will have to try later

Top Bottom