• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Harpuia

Guys, I think I'm overleveled. :lol I'm in the radio tower, and people are throwing level 20 pokes.
-Bellossom: lvl 30
Scizor: lvl 31
Feraligatr: lvl 32
Crobat: lvl 30
Espeon: lvl 32
Ampharos: lvl 31

Is 42 really high enough for the Elite Four? I somehow remember it being more like 50-55..

I haven't attempted yet, but here's what I've got:

Alakazam 48
Heracross 48
Gengar 46
Lugia 45
Gyarados 42
Meganium 42

Gravijah

Harpuia said:
Guys, I think I'm overleveled. :lol I'm in the radio tower, and people are throwing level 20 pokes.
-Bellossom: lvl 30
Scizor: lvl 31
Feraligatr: lvl 32
Crobat: lvl 30
Espeon: lvl 32
Ampharos: lvl 31

My team is (right before that, at the Lake of Rage)

Gengar 35
Slowking 34
Ampharos 34
Quilava 34

So I think it's normal. Plus aren't you fighting grunts?

HappyBivouac said:
Is 42 really high enough for the Elite Four? I somehow remember it being more like 50-55..

Alakazam 48
Heracross 48
Gengar 46
Lugia 45
Gyarados 42
Meganium 42

The E4 in GSC isn't as hard as the other games.

Delio

HappyBivouac said:

Alakazam 48
Heracross 48
Gengar 46
Lugia 45
Gyarados 42
Meganium 42

Nah 42 is pretty good. I'd say 45 if you really want that nothing goes over 50 though so yeah.

Sooo, I'm making a last minute team change even though I'm like halfway through Kanto. :lol I hate my Onix, I don't feel like wasting a metal coat or an EQ TM. So I'm just gonna switch him out for Mamoswine.

woohooo Gabite just evolved into Garchomp.

I love how overpowered you are Garchomp. Tyranitar and Dragonite ain't got nothing on your Speed.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just found my first Shiny in the game, a Meowth, while leveling my team up to 30 before I take on the Ecruteak Gym leader's Gengar (I know he's 25 :p).

Happy times.

Edit: My current team is:

Feraligatr 30
Pidgeotto 28
Dratini 26
Magnemite 22
Ghastly 21
Onix 20

Dogenzaka

Banned
I don't even know what to do with Clair. This is the first gym I haven't been able to get past the first trainers easily.
I found a Jynx and a Delibird but since the Dragon's Lair isn't open there's no quick and dirty way to train them....my Dratini's only lvl 13.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wish I had a Gabite.

Dogenzaka said:
I don't even know what to do with Clair. This is the first gym I haven't been able to get past the first trainers easily.
I found a Jynx and a Delibird but since the Dragon's Lair isn't open there's no quick and dirty way to train them....my Dratini's only lvl 13.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wish I had a Gabite.

Do what I did and catch a Lapras. As an added bonus it learns Perish Song, making the last (usually strongest) Pokemon irrelevant.

Gravijah said:
Seriously: Fuck HMs.

Indeed. I hope they abolish those one day. Except for Surf. That is one amazing move.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'd say at least half of the HMs are actually decent attacking moves for the ques, provided you teach them to the right Pokemon.

Surf and Waterfall are good if you teach them to a special and physical Pokemon, respectively.
Fly is fine because the CPU rarely takes advantage of the start-up turn.
Strength has decent power. Rock Climb does too, though its accuracy can be annoying.
Rock Smash is weak, but its defense-lowering effect has limited use for wall-breaking.
Cut and Whirlpool can fuck off.

Unicorn

Well, my espeon is levelling decently on my pokewalker and I'm getting heart scales out the ass while doing it. Got a dratini last night as well. Level 71 will be here soon.

By the end of next week I should be getting a batch of growlithe that know sunny day and morning sun cranked out of the breeding house.

Anyone interested just PM me.

I'll let you all know in a week how they're coming. Hopefully it'll be worth the massive amount of time I'm dumping into this.

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
I'd say at least half of the HMs are actually decent attacking moves for the ques, provided you teach them to the right Pokemon.

Surf and Waterfall are good if you teach them to a special and physical Pokemon, respectively.
Strength has decent power. Rock Climb does too, though its accuracy can be annoying.
Rock Smash is weak, but its defense-lowering effect has limited use for wall-breaking.

There's just too many now, which annoys me.

Sixfortyfive said:

It isn't that they suck, it's more that it limits your team options. It is the reason why most people end up having teams like

Starter- 56
X - 54
Y - 54
z - 52
Whore 1 - 8
Whore 2 - 8

If they do keep them then yeah, they should all be useful and have added effects. Whirlpool and Cut suck. They should make it so Whirlpool always causes Confusion (or something).

Also where do you get the master ball? I hope I didn't miss it.

thefil

Sixfortyfive said:
What is the easiest way to snag Heart Scales, btw? I might need some for Togekiss in the near future.

I'm curious, as I have a Togetic and just got a Heart Scale from Pokewalker. Why would you need them for Togekiss?

Sixfortyfive

thefil said:
I'm curious, as I have a Togetic and just got a Heart Scale from Pokewalker. Why would you need them for Togekiss?
Togekiss learns its best moves from the Heart Scale tutor in Blackthorn. Serene Grace + Thunder Wave + Air Slash = opponent's 100% accurate moves now only work 30% of the time.

thefil said:

Togekiss has four powerful level 1 moves, which means as soon as you evolve Togetic, you can trade heart scales with the move tutor to learn them. The moves are:

Air Slash (75 power, 30% chance of flinch before factoring in Serene Grace)
Aura Sphere (90 power, can't miss)
Extremespeed (80 power, basically Quick Attack 2)
Sky Attack (140 power. Basically Fly 2, only with 30% flinch chance.)

To Sixfortyfive's point...

1. Thunder Wave is 100% accurate
2. Serene grace doubles the chance of special effects, so Air Slash becomes 60% chance.

Basically, you can force the enemy pokemon to endure two decent-odds rolls each attack that they may not be able to do anything at all. It's very powerful in the right team.

Sixfortyfive

Only Air Slash and Aura Sphere are particularly useful. The others are physical and pointless on Togekiss.

Sixfortyfive said:
Only Air Slash and Aura Sphere are particularly useful. The others are physical and pointless on Togekiss.

In the single player game I'd argue that's not really much of a factor, but sure, yeah, in a trained OU game that would matter.

Half the time in SP, players have subpar moves or ones of dubious use, at which point the STAB bonus of Extremespeed/Sky Attack is very powerful.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Catch Red Gyarados at lv30.
Learn Ice Fang at lv32.
IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

<8D I FORGOT ABOUT MY GYRADOS
*runs back to PC box*

Now I don't have to train that fugly Jynx.

(It's so creepy having her tag along behind me.....)

Indeed. I hope they abolish those one day. Except for Surf. That is one amazing move.

I want them to make HM's moves that are not used in battle. Rather, a separate almost "skill" list that you can teach your Pokemon to navigate the terrain. That can be removed and added at any time. That can ALSO be taught to your Pokemon if you want to.

And damnit the next game better have different fly/surf sprites. I don't want to see my Mudkip turn into a giant whale that I sit on.

Zertez

Im sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any big differences between HeartGold and SoulSilver? I thinking of picking my niece up one of the two, but have no idea the differences between them. Does each version have different pokemen in them, a different story or is it mainly cosmetic? Im sure she would love playing the games, but I dont want to overwhelm her at first. Over the years, Ive noticed they normally release two different version of the games at the same time.

Sixfortyfive

Zertez said:
Im sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any big differences between HeartGold and SoulSilver? I thinking of picking my niece up one of the two, but have no idea the differences between them. Does each version have different pokemen in them, a different story or is it mainly cosmetic? Im sure she would love playing the games, but I dont want to overwhelm her at first. Over the years, Ive noticed they normally release two different version of the games at the same time.
The only substantial difference between the two versions are the Pokemon you can catch, and this is less relevant than ever with wi-fi trading.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Zertez said:

Just certain Pokemon you can get on one or the other. Also, you can get Lugia lvl 45 in SS, and lvl 70 in HG. You can find Ho-oh at lvl 45 in HG, but lvl 70 in SS. At the higher levels, they are missing a few of their best moves :(

They release two different versions, and it's really business genius.
- This forces players to play with each other. There's no way to catch all the Pokemon without interacting with someone who has a different game than you.
- Lets players "choose" their game.
- More sales.

Unicorn

Dogenzaka said:
Just certain Pokemon you can get on one or the other. Also, you can get Lugia lvl 45 in SS, and lvl 70 in HG. You can find Ho-oh at lvl 45 in HG, but lvl 70 in SS. At the higher levels, they are missing a few of their best moves :(

- This forces players to play with each other. There's no way to catch all the Pokemon without interacting with someone who has a different game than you.
- More sales.
Heart scales fix that in a jiffy

Zertez

Dogenzaka said:

- More sales.
I dont understand some of that, but if I buy one version she doesnt miss out on anything, if she plays with friends who own the other version?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Zertez said:
I dont understand some of that, but if I buy one version she doesnt miss out on anything, if she plays with friends who own the other version?

I'm not sure what you mean..

This is all you have to know.

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are the exact same, except for the fact that there are some Pokemon you can ONLY catch in SoulSilver, and some you can ONLY catch in HeartGold (and of course, some in neither that you can only catch in the other games).

To get those unobtainable Pokemon, Nintendo encourages you to play with people who have the version you don't, so you can trade.

That's been the case with every "double game" of Pokemon that's come out. Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, Diamond and Pearl, etc.

She doesn't have to interact with other games or players in order to enjoy the game. She can play it on her own and beat it and catch lots of Pokemon she'll like.

But if she wants to catch them all, including the ones not available in her version, she'll have to interact with someone who has the other games to get Pokemon unobtainable in her version.

kzn

Neo Member
Zertez said:

Essentially, unless she has no way of using WiFi and/or she has nobody else with whom to trade, either version will lock her out of acquiring some pokemon (like 15 or so at max I think, in either case).

Other than that, there's like one extremely minor sequencing change I know of in the main quest, and thats it.

As far as just buying it for fun, I don't think you can go wrong no matter which you pick.

Dogenzaka

Banned
kzn said:
Essentially, unless she has no way of using WiFi and/or she has nobody else with whom to trade, either version will lock her out of acquiring some pokemon (like 15 or so at max I think, in either case).

Other than that, there's like one extremely minor sequencing change I know of in the main quest, and thats it.

As far as just buying it for fun, I don't think you can go wrong no matter which you pick.

What? No. The game will not "lock you out" or put a maximum limit of 15 on the number of Pokemon you can catch.

You simply will not be able to catch certain types of Pokemon.

Gravijah

Dogenzaka said:
What? No. The game will not "lock you out" or put a maximum limit of 15 on the number of Pokemon you can catch.

You simply will not be able to catch certain types of Pokemon.

That's what he said! :lol

Harpuia

Dogenzaka said:
Where do I get Heart Scales...??

I remember it with Luvdisc in the third gen....but what am I supposed to do in HGSS D:

You'll have to keep on smashing those rocks that are breakable with rock smash until you get some. Very tedious. Also, there is one on route 32.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Im already to the lighthouse and still dont have a fire pokemon. What do you guys recommend? I have a vulpix and thats it right now...

Vulpix IS a fire Pokemon.....you can also find a Ponyta on the Pokewalker.

Unicorn

Dogenzaka said:
Vulpix IS a fire Pokemon.....you can also find a Ponyta on the Pokewalker.
Said it on the last page, but after 2000 steps on beach course of the pokewalker you can start finding heart scales. Douse those patches of grass man

Top Bottom