• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ryan-ts

Hey anyone know how the days thing works in the safari zone with the objects? For example, when it takes 70 days for a Pokemon to appear can I just go to the calendar when you start up the ds and change the date or is there a way to change the date within the game?

edit: Asking because I don't want to actually wait 70 days.

Dogenzaka said:
Vulpix IS a fire Pokemon.....you can also find a Ponyta on the Pokewalker.

Sorry, i meant a main fire pokemon. As in one that i might use for the next 20 hours or so before i breed something super duper.

Is there one you would recommend?

Gravijah

I can't stop watching this Tyler Perry movie...

Gamer @ Heart said:
Sorry, i meant a main fire pokemon. As in one that i might use for the next 20 hours or so before i breed something super duper.

Is there one you would recommend?

What's wrong with Ninetales?

Gravijah said:
I can't stop watching this Tyler Perry movie...

What's wrong with Ninetales?

I dont know. Im up for using it but have no idea how it compares to other fire pokemon and was sort of hoping GAF would tell me.

Gravijah

Gamer @ Heart said:
I dont know. Im up for using it but have no idea how it compares to other fire pokemon and was sort of hoping GAF would tell me.

Ninetales will last you through the main quest fine. You could trade a HG gaffer for a Growlithe or get a Magby/Ponyta from the Pokewalker, too.

Crap, I can't decide whether or not to use my Master Ball on Ho-Oh (Heart Gold).

Lugia is going to be harder to catch, but by that time I will be able to afford more Dusk Balls. If I spend money on balls now I might not have enough money for Full Restores, and Revives.

Anyway after I catch the thing it is replacing Dodrio. You served me well you three-headed bird, but your base stats cannot compare to the legendary bird Pokemon.

Gravijah

Obsessed said:
Crap, I can't decide whether or not to use my Master Ball on Ho-Oh (Heart Gold).

Lugia is going to be harder to catch, but by that time I will be able to afford more Dusk Balls. If I spend money on balls now I might not have enough money for Full Restores, and Revives.

Anyway after I catch the thing it is replacing Dodrio. You served me well you three-headed bird, but your base stats cannot compare to the legendary bird Pokemon.

Save the Master Ball! Someday you might really need it! At least that's my thinking. :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I just KO'd Ho-Oh with the intent of catching it later. I don't want to be bothered with legendaries until I'm done with everything else and have more tools at my disposal for catching them.

And using a Master Ball on anything but a roamer is a waste. (Or Mewtwo in FRLG. Recover/Safeguarding bastard.) Sucks that the map in this game isn't as good as in DPPt.

survivor

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I just KO'd Ho-Oh with the intent of catching it later. I don't want to be bothered with legendaries until I'm done with everything else and have more tools at my disposal for catching them.

And using a Master Ball on anything but a roamer is a waste. Sucks that the map in this game isn't as good as in DPPt.
Are you going to wait so you can catch better legendaries for competitive battling? I think I might only wait and catch a good Zapdos, but just catch the rest normally.

Sixfortyfive

survivor said:
Are you going to wait so you can catch better legendaries for competitive battling? I think I might only wait and catch a good Zapdos, but just catch the rest normally.
Pretty much. I figure there should also be a decent amount of info on the HGSS RNG by the time I'm done with everything else too.

Sixfortyfive

Gravijah said:
FRLG Mewtwo. Now that was a legendary I felt proud of catching... was a bastard and a half.
I soft-reset on him so many times trying to catch a good one. Like, seriously, on and off for several weeks. It was imperative that I catch a fast one so that it could outspeed a max-speed Darkrai, so what I would do is lead with a Pokemon that had the same speed as a max-speed Darkrai. If Mewtwo moves first, then he's fast enough and I catch it. If I move first, then I reset so I don't have to trouble myself with catching and checking its stats.

After so many resets, I figured that I must have done my math wrong somewhere and started researching. Turns out that in Gen 1 through Gen 3, the badges give your party Pokemon a 10% stat boost in the quest, so I thought the wild Mewtwo was slower than it actually was because my trained Pokemon kept outspeeding it with their boost. So next time I come prepared with the proper one-under speed Pokemon and my dedicated FRLG catcher: a level 80-something Parasect with Leftovers, Double Team, Swords Dance, False Swipe, and Spore. Also had about 50 Ultra Balls and 50 Timer Balls in tow.

Double Teamed six times to max out evasion, Swords Danced three times to max out attack and make sure that I could always knock him right back down to 1 HP after each Recover. Even then, it took so long and I burned through so many turns and Pokeballs that the son of a bitch actually ran out of moves and started Struggling himself to death with 1 HP remaining. Fortunately, since my evasion is maxed out he only has a 25% chance of hitting me and therefore never managed to do so and KO himself from recoil damage.

After what seemed like an eternity I finally nail the bastard and check its stats:

Mewtwo (Timid) 29/22/28/23/28/24

So worth it. By far the best Pokemon I have ever caught without RNG abuse, and definitely the best I've caught without Synchronize as well.

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
I soft-reset on him so many times trying to catch a good one. Like, seriously, on and off for several weeks. It was imperative that I catch a fast one so that it could outspeed a max-speed Darkrai, so what I would do is lead with a Pokemon that had the same speed as a max-speed Darkrai. If Mewtwo moves first, then he's fast enough and I catch it. If I move first, then I reset so I don't have to trouble myself with catching and checking its stats.

After so many resets, I figured that I must have done my math wrong somewhere and started researching. Turns out that in Gen 1 through Gen 3, the badges give your party Pokemon a 10% stat boost in the quest, so I thought the wild Mewtwo was slower than it actually was because my trained Pokemon kept outspeeding it with their boost. So next time I come prepared with the proper one-under speed Pokemon and my dedicated FRLG catcher: a level 80-something Parasect with Leftovers, Double Team, Swords Dance, False Swipe, and Spore. Also had about 50 Ultra Balls and 50 Timer Balls in tow.

Double Teamed six times to max out evasion, Swords Danced three times to max out attack and make sure that I could always knock him right back down to 1 HP after each Recover. Even then, it took so long and I burned through so many turns and Pokeballs that the son of a bitch actually ran out of moves and started Struggling himself to death with 1 HP remaining. Fortunately, since my evasion is maxed out he only has a 25% chance of hitting me and therefore never managed to do so and KO himself from recoil damage.

After what seemed like an eternity I finally nail the bastard and check its stats:

So worth it.

Shit, I was going to ask about that. Now I don't have to.

Delio

Sixfortyfive said:

So worth it. By far the best Pokemon I have ever caught without RNG abuse, and definitely the best I've caught without Synchronize as well.

Pretty badass man. I started doing the soft reset stuff in Platinum trying to get a decent Uxie and Registeel. Took forever but i did it and got some pretty nice ones stat wise.

Sixfortyfive

Thinking on it, that's probably the best legendary I've ever caught even including those I've caught with Synchronize. The lowest IV is a 22 and it's in the one stat that doesn't matter at all? That's fucking gold.

'Bout near shit myself when the IV calculator spat those numbers back at me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This might sound dumb but should I catch another Pidgey since my Pidgey missed learning it because of the Pokewalker? Or is it an ability easily replaceable? I always remember it being pretty useful early on in other pokemon games but I forgot if I later replaced it.

Also does anyone have an extra event Pichu they could give? I never got Jiraichi either, was he also a special event pokemon?

Gravijah

Trojita said:
This might sound dumb but should I catch another Pidgey since my Pidgey missed learning it because of the Pokewalker? Or is it an ability easily replaceable? I always remember it being pretty useful early on in other pokemon games but I forgot if I later replaced it.

Also does anyone have an extra event Pichu they could give? I never got Jiraichi either, was he also a special event pokemon?

You can still get the Pichu over WiFi if you have DPPt. And... what did your Pidgey miss out on?

Sixfortyfive said:

And using a Master Ball on anything but a roamer is a waste. (Or Mewtwo in FRLG. Recover/Safeguarding bastard.) Sucks that the map in this game isn't as good as in DPPt.

What do you mean catch it later? Don't you only get one chance?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Can't beat that damn Clair and there's no good place to lvl up Pokemon. FFFFF

I've wasted like 2 hours trying to beat her gym, then I remembered that sixfortyfive gave me a lvl 45 Breloom.

OUT OF MY WAY GYRADOS AND KINGDRA

Stencil

So I've accumulated ~3,500 coins on Voltorb Flip... That game is addicting. A welcome replacement, in my book. Is there any benefit to saving my coins? I don't really want any of the Pokemon or TMs in Goldenrod.

Anyways, what is the deal with Togepi? I put it on the Pokewalker damn near everyday, I've given it a couple haircuts, I just put a Soothe Bell on it and still nothing. In terms of lvl he's way higher than my other pokes just cause I want him to evolve and get it over with...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Gravijah said:
You can still get the Pichu over WiFi if you have DPPt. And... what did your Pidgey miss out on?

Wow complete Typo, sorry about that. My Pidgey missed Sand Attack. Might sound dumb but I'm pretty OCD.

Do you know how long the event is going on? I believe my copy of diamond is at my parent's house 2 hours away and I won't be there till next weekend. I hope it lasts till then.

Sixfortyfive

Obsessed said:
What do you mean catch it later? Don't you only get one chance?
In Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver, most (all?) legendaries will respawn if you fail to catch them. I think you have to defeat the Elite Four to respawn them.

Trojita said:
Wow complete Typo, sorry about that. My Pidgey missed Sand Attack. Might sound dumb but I'm pretty OCD.
Just use the Flash TM.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:

Yeah I gotta say I think Gold/Silver's map hasn't aged too beautifully. The struggle to fit all those towns on that hardware shows. Sinnoh and Hoenn were much more open, multi-routed and larger.

In Johto, you can walk 100 steps and end up in a new city lol.

EDIT: Oh you meant the map on the Pokegear...whoops.

I think the Pokegear sucks. Only 4 apps? WTF.

I want my Poketch back. It had all sorts of stuff. Like COUNTING MY STEPS.

Sixfortyfive said:
In Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver, most (all?) legendaries will respawn if you fail to catch them. I think you have to defeat the Elite Four to respawn them.

That.... that's genius.

Are you sure Ho-Oh is a respawner?

Harpuia

Sixfortyfive said:

They respawned? :eek: Never knew that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sixfortyfive said:
Nope! I'm living dangerously!

Careful, son, or you'll get burned. :lol

Guardian Bob said:
If you evolve the shiny Pikachu-coloured-Pichu, does it keep any of the shininess?

Yes, why wouldn't it? It's just a shiny Pichu sprite.

I fucking loled GAF. :lol

Battled the last monk before you fight the elder in the bell sprout tower, and had my lvl. 8 mareep vs his hoothoot.

The hoothoot got me to like 5 hp till he got static paralyzed.
For the entire rest of the battle, he either kept missing or was paralyzed and couldn't attack while I sat back and kept tackling him, doing small bits of damage per turn.

Awesome.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Harpuia said:
They respawned? :eek: Never knew that.

I remember 10 years ago sitting in my parents' room for 4 hours battling, using 60 ultra-balls, and restarting to catch the stupid Ho-oh, and if it fainted, restart!

They sure have made Pokemon a lot more lenient.

trinest

Stencil said:
Does Nintendo still make those Wi-Fi dongles (is that honestly what they're called?)?
No because they got sued or something- your best bet is to go to maccas and try their wifi.

Wish Nintendo wasn't stupid enough to leave out WPA :/

Stencil

trinest said:
No because they got sued or something- your best bet is to go to maccas and try their wifi.

Ah. Damn it...

Just beat Whitney with 5 KO'ed Pokemon and my last (Togepi) came out with ONE hp. Damn Rollout... I always remember Whitney giving me trouble back in the day.

Sixfortyfive said:
Nope! I'm living dangerously!

lol

Ok good to know. I think I'll still use the ball though. I caught the runners in GSC without the master ball and that was years ago. I want that Ho-Oh now, and I don't want to buy a million balls until after the E4.

D-Pad

Andrex said:
Caught an Abra on my first encounter. :lol

Same here! Forget legendaries, this is the real feat right here, folks. A feat that bestows a strange feeling of satisfaction only to those who just chuck a ball turn one and cross their fingers.

Just got a quick question about traded pokemon. I traded with myself to get all the starters at the beginning of the game (that old DS Phat came in handy), so I'm constantly worried about overleveling them and having them not listen to me. I just finished the second gym, and I'm wondering if the level they will obey me went up or not. I didn't really pay attention to what the gym leader said after the fight, so I can't remember if she said the cap increased or if it's still level 20.

isny

napkin dispenser
trinest said:

I see them everywhere locally still for $30...I'm sure ebay has them around the same cost.

Top Bottom