• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

DaBoss

I don't like this guy at all because by all accounts he should be a water type, looks like a water type, lives in water, and seems that his sole existence in life is to troll children who use a grass or electric move on him. He's a confusing design and breaks a lot of the usual type identifiers Gamefreak uses. Other than Elektross, pretty much every other Pokemon in the game can at least have one of its types identified just from appearance, if not both their types (if they have them). A Pokemon shouldn't be designed on the assumption of "lol he isn't water, noobs" That's poor design. The actual Pokemon however, is fine, he looks cool, but his typing combined with his design ruin him for me.
This post reads "I got trolled so hard and beat by Eelektross." :p

You don't find it or its evolutionary line in the water ever. Some Pokemon are just like that. You can't exactly identify what type(s) it is just by looking at it.

Shuckle doesn't look like a bug-type.
Suicune looks like an ice-type.
Dustox looks like a flying-type.
Dratini looks like a water-type.
Stunfisk looks like a water-type.
Goomy doesn't look like a dragon-type.

There are more, but I can't be bothered to name them all.

Another thing about Eelektross is it has the ability levitate. People would read its name and think "oh, it is an electric-type, let me use a ground move." Then they find out it has levitate. First encounters like this are just a learning process for Pokemon. You may not know the types, abilities, moves, and etc. If you don't like first encounters like that, then nothing can be done. The first time you play Pokemon would kind of work like that with how you find out types of the different Pokemon and what types work against others. No one is expected to know everything at once.

Dear Rayquaza, can you stop being an asshole? Slot 1 Jolly fainted Alkazam with Sychonise means you should be Jolly at least half of the time; not whatever the fuck you feel like three quarters of the time. It is more annoying when you get Jolly but it is complete shit like this:
IVs: 30, 31 / 13, 14 / 30, 31 / 16, 17 / 30, 31 / 5
There I've complained to GAF...and I thought Latios was bad...(it is a different kind of bad true but at least the nature was always right)

Will be nice to clear Delta Episode and a have a level 100 Breloom for harder to catch legendaries.

Linius

I still only just beat the 5th gym. :V

DexNav makes me take my time with this game.

Me too, I'm about 15,5 hours in and just got surf to explore the east. But I'm gonna need some serious training. My five poke's are between Level 28 and 33 at the moment.

Also this is the moment I can finally catch Carvanha to complete my team. Will be a pain with the good rod I'm afraid seeing it's rarity percentages. Yesterday it took me about 30 minutes to encounter one Koffing for example.

Also this is the moment I can finally catch Carvanha to complete my team. Will be a pain with the good rod I'm afraid seeing it's rarity percentages. Yesterday it took me about 30 minutes to encounter one Koffing for example.
Try to catch one in roite 119 instead of 118, it's more common there. (I've been trying to chain fish for a shiny one for a while now lmao)

Linius

Try to catch one in roite 119 instead of 118, it's more common there. (I've been trying to chain fish for a shiny one for a while now lmao)

How does one chain fish? I know I've tried chaining a long time ago for a Pokémon in tall grass. But I don't really remember what you have to do to keep a chain going. A shiny would be cool.

Machine

I accidentally KOed Azelf yesterday. Will it reappear or is a one-time appearance? Do I need to beat the E4 again?

This post reads "I got trolled so hard and beat by Eelektross." :p

You don't find it or its evolutionary line in the water ever. Some Pokemon are just like that. You can't exactly identify what type(s) it is just by looking at it.

Shuckle doesn't look like a bug-type.
Suicune looks like an ice-type.
Dustox looks like a flying-type.
Dratini looks like a water-type.
Stunfisk looks like a water-type.
Goomy doesn't look like a dragon-type.

There are more, but I can't be bothered to name them all.

Another thing about Eelektross is it has the ability levitate. People would read its name and think "oh, it is an electric-type, let me use a ground move." Then they find out it has levitate. First encounters like this are just a learning process for Pokemon. You may not know the types, abilities, moves, and etc. If you don't like first encounters like that, then nothing can be done. The first time you play Pokemon would kind of work like that with how you find out types of the different Pokemon and what types work against others. No one is expected to know everything at once.

Shuckle looks like a rock though, which is his other type.
Suincune is even more confusing when you go into GS assuming the legend types are the same as Red and Blue, Suicune probably should be ice type. Legends are a little less of an issue as normal trainers don't have them and you don't ever need to defeat them.
Dustox looks like a bug, which is enough.
No trainer uses Dratini as far as I know in Red and Blue, you'd have to go looking for him. Also he probably would have been Water/Dragon these days if he was released. Back then Water/Dragon would have had no weaknesses (the only dragon move in the game was a set 40 damage move).
I never had an issue with Stunfisk, since he's brown and yellow

I think better examples are Malamar and Dragalge, who suffer the same problems. Must be Gamefreak really likes making sea creatures but doesn't want to fill the game with more water types...

one_kill

How does one chain fish? I know I've tried chaining a long time ago for a Pokémon in tall grass. But I don't really remember what you have to do to keep a chain going. A shiny would be cool.
You need Inkay/Malamar/whatever with Suction Cups to be first in your party
Fish as usual and always reel what you catch
It doesn't matter if you get different Pokemon, just don't drop your chain
With the Pokemon you reel in, you can attack, catch, or run away
The chain continues even after you catch a shiny

You basically pick a fishing spot (and make sure you stay there, any movement breaks the chain) and fish consecutively. Each successful fish raises the chance for a shiny. Make sure you have a Pokemon with Suction Cups (like Octillery, which I got from my Y game) so that you actually get a bite every time.
http://www.thonky.com/pokemon-x-y/chain-fishing/

It's actually pretty easy, but I'm having the damnest luck right now. Broke a 300+ chain a while ago. :| (Normally get shinies around the ~50s)

Linius

You need Inkay/Malamar/whatever with Suction Cups to be first in your party
Fish as usual and always reel what you catch
It doesn't matter if you get different Pokemon, just don't drop your chain
With the Pokemon you reel in, you can attack, catch, or run away
The chain continues even after you catch a shiny

You basically pick a fishing spot (and make sure you stay there, any movement breaks the chain) and fish consecutively. Each successful fish raises the chance for a shiny. Make sure you have a Pokemon with Suction Cups (like Octillery, which I got from my Y game) so that you actually get a bite every time.
http://www.thonky.com/pokemon-x-y/chain-fishing/

It's actually pretty easy, but I'm having the damnest luck right now. Broke a 300+ chain a while ago. :| (Normally get shinies around the ~50s)

Sounds good. Anyone that might wanna trade a poke with suction cups with me? Or is that rare to find? Because I don't have much to offer at the moment. I do have like seven Swablu's with different nature's if anyone is in to that :p

There has to be a connection with encounter rate and crit capture. Now that I'm catching a bazillion unowns my crit capture is almost every throw

Dear Rayquaza, can you stop being an asshole?
I am going to say I am done with this one:
IVs: 30, 31 / 30, 31 / 6, 7 / 30, 31 / 28 / 30, 31
The speed is probably 30 because the game is a troll like that and the def is blah.
Edit: There, judged

Shame the SpA is kind of wasted on a Jolly nature but eh...

Houndoom dies so easily, also has the shittest level up movepool.

No wait.

The Swampert line has the WORST level up movepool, he's level 38 and I still have Tackle and fucking Water Gun. The only decent move it learns is Rock Slide. Why can't this shit learn a decent physical ground/water attack until level 51(EQ)? It never even learns a good water move until you get Waterfall.

And fuck me Muddy Water is a shitty exclusive move to have.

Linius

No wait.

The Swampert line has the WORST level up movepool, he's level 38 and I still have Tackle and fucking Water Gun. The only decent move it learns is Rock Slide. Why can't this shit learn a decent physical ground/water attack until level 51(EQ)? It never even learns a good water move until you get Waterfall.

True.

I still only just beat the 5th gym. :V

DexNav makes me take my time with this game.

I have 35 hours and am still on the 5th gym, I think it's safe to say I like this game more than X and Y. I faced a trainer near the safari zone in a secret base that just wiped the floor with me though :eek:

Linius

I have 35 hours and am still on the 5th gym, I think it's safe to say I like this game more than X and Y. I faced a trainer near the safari zone in a secret base that just wiped the floor with me though :eek:

I had the same experience. I came across a secret base at the point where you surf to the east the first time. The guy inside went for a triple battle with three Lv. 35 pokemons. Sharpedo, Haxorus and one I forgot. My highest poke is level 33 lol

Toxi

Banned
I don't like this guy at all because by all accounts he should be a water type, looks like a water type, lives in water, and seems that his sole existence in life is to troll children who use a grass or electric move on him. He's a confusing design and breaks a lot of the usual type identifiers Gamefreak uses. Other than Elektross, pretty much every other Pokemon in the game can at least have one of its types identified just from appearance, if not both their types (if they have them). A Pokemon shouldn't be designed on the assumption of "lol he isn't water, noobs" That's poor design. The actual Pokemon however, is fine, he looks cool, but his typing combined with his design ruin him for me.
It's found in a completely water-free cave filled with electrified crystals.

I hope you were outraged when the Dratini line that actually did live in water and was caught by the Super Rod wasn't Water Type.

I had the same experience. I came across a secret base at the point where you surf to the east the first time. The guy inside went for a triple battle with three Lv. 35 pokemons. Sharpedo, Haxorus and one I forgot. My highest poke is level 33 lol

This guy had 3 40 lv pokemon I only got to face his flygon, he dragon rushed and earthquaked all my pokemon into oblivion. Despite my Blaziken being level 53 and having a high speed his flygon always hit me first.

eh cosplay pikachu is awesome though

This guy had 3 40 lv pokemon I only got to face his flygon, he dragon rushed and earthquaked all my pokemon into oblivion. Despite my Blaziken being level 53 and having a high speed his flygon always hit me first.
flygon too OP, thats why he wont get mega evo :p

jelmerjt

Does anyone have an extra Leftovers? I know there's the Pickup ability, but that could take a long time...

You get a female Bold Togepi with Serene Grace. IVs:

Comes in a Luxury Ball.

RiggyRob

No wait.

The Swampert line has the WORST level up movepool, he's level 38 and I still have Tackle and fucking Water Gun.The only decent move it learns is Rock Slide. Why can't this shit learn a decent physical ground/water attack until level 51(EQ)? It never even learns a good water move until you get Waterfall.

Pump it with TMs, yo. Power-Up Punch and Rock Slide pretty much covers most things (but yeah I still have Water Gun and Mud Bomb on my Marshtomp).

ANOTHER Shiny Magikarp
Negative_Man.png

EDIT: Ah OK. I was told that you had to beat the E4 but my bad.

alvmew

I'm loving my luck in this game. I caught a shiny Slakoth on release day like an hour in, and now after only ten soft resets, I got my shiny Reshiram <333

Well, after some testing I can confirm that Feebas "hotspots" (like in the original RSE) definitely exist. However, I'm not sure if they change or are even random this time.

Whenever I cast a fishing rod in the shadow of the bridge next to the weather institute, Feebas is the only Pokémon I encounter. If I fish outside of the shadow, other Pokémon start appearing instead and Feebas doesn't. Clearly the 5% encounter rate does not apply in this area, and I imagine there are other hotspots along the river too. Presumably the 5% rate only applies to the non-hotspot areas of the river. Or maybe this is ignored entirely.

This is all without the Dexnav of course. Just thought I would mention it since I know there is still some confusion over how Feebas works in ORAS.

Top Bottom