• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

I don't like this guy at all because by all accounts he should be a water type, looks like a water type, lives in water, and seems that his sole existence in life is to troll children who use a grass or electric move on him. He's a confusing design and breaks a lot of the usual type identifiers Gamefreak uses. Other than Elektross, pretty much every other Pokemon in the game can at least have one of its types identified just from appearance, if not both their types (if they have them). A Pokemon shouldn't be designed on the assumption of "lol he isn't water, noobs" That's poor design. The actual Pokemon however, is fine, he looks cool, but his typing combined with his design ruin him for me.

Yes, it would be a problem if its sprite didn't involve him lighting up like a Christmas Tree.

Linius

image.php

whenever you use it against people they're going to assume that's what it is

Yeah, because of the remakes it's possible to just catch that red one and transfer it over :p

What does it look like? Is it red like the one from Gold/Silver?
Yep
LQ7ZkNe.gif

I think i'll just keep trying to an hour. If I still don't get it then I'll just use Gyarados until I get a super rod where Carvanha has a 95% chance rate of appearing instead of 35%. :V

EDIT: ANOTHER SHINY MAGIKARP

except this one is female :V

Toxi

Banned
Houndoom dies so easily, also has the shittest level up movepool.

No wait.

The Swampert line has the WORST level up movepool, he's level 38 and I still have Tackle and fucking Water Gun. The only decent move it learns is Rock Slide. Why can't this shit learn a decent physical ground/water attack until level 51(EQ)? It never even learns a good water move until you get Waterfall.

And fuck me Muddy Water is a shitty exclusive move to have.
Teach it Dig and replace Water Gun with Surf. Remember, the Move Deleter exists for when you finally get Waterfall.

Linius

Yep
LQ7ZkNe.gif

I think i'll just keep trying to an hour. If I still don't get it then I'll just use Gyarados until I get a super rod where Carvanha has a 95% chance rate of appearing instead of 35%. :V

Well I'm going to test my luck tonight. Will check if my Grimer/Gulpin have Sticky Hold. If not I'll have to find one of those first.

I should be getting around to trading 6 Pokemon holding lucky eggs (including my Shroomish) yet here I am distracted by dexnaving Persian on mirage island. Unnerve Persian, I will find you (it is more for the HA collection as it isn't a half bad ability though I know Technician is nearly always a better ability here as you have STAB Fake Out).

Edit: Tail whip is an egg move? Ah the era of quantity for egg moves rather than quality.
Edit: Shiny Persian...with last Resort LOL. Btw Shiny Persian is like Shiny Dewdong in that it looks nearly the same.

Grizzo

So I just started playing Alpha a few minutes ago and I'm already sooooo mad that you can't post any screenshots on Miiverse.

How dumb is that? What the hell is going on here?

-Horizon-

So I just started playing Alpha a few minutes ago and I'm already sooooo mad that you can't post any screenshots on Miiverse.

There's a lot of things that make me scratch my head. Its still a good nostalgia trip though.

Hylian7

Am I the only person that legitimately doesn't enjoy Pokemon Contests at all? Seriously, they aren't fun and downright frustrating at times. I really want that goddamn Destiny Knot. Why did you have to put it behind this bullshit GF?!

Azuran

Banned

Game Freak.

Am I the only person that legitimately doesn't enjoy Pokemon Contests at all? Seriously, they aren't fun and downright frustrating at times. I really want that goddamn Destiny Knot. Why did you have to put it behind this bullshit GF?!

I don't enjoy them either. That's why I'm going to battle some people in Lumiose until I can get one to transfer here.

CassSept

Wow, the Kyogre minifigurine pre-order bonus is so bad. I opened the package, the thing slipped from my fingers, fell about 10 cm on my desk and the Kyogre broke off the wave-like stand. The hell. I know it's a bonus and didn't expect much from it but damn that's baad.

Linius

Well damn, walked a bit up route 118 to see if there would be another good fishing spot and before I know it SPOILERS AHEAD
I walked away with Latias. Like what... :O

Did people actually SR for the above? That seems like a lot of work.

Hylian7

Game Freak.

I don't enjoy them either. That's why I'm going to battle some people in Lumiose until I can get one to transfer here.
If I didn't have digital copies of both Y and OR, I would transfer in from Y, but I can't. THANKS POKEMON BANK!

Well damn, walked a bit up route 118 to see if there would be another good fishing spot and before I know it SPOILERS AHEAD

I did, about 3 and a half minutes for each reset.

But it was worth it in the end.

RSE contests are still better than the DPP contests and the lame thing BW came up with.

Linius

I did, about 3 and a half minutes for each reset.

But it was worth it in the end.

Well damn, I tip my imaginary fedora to that. I wouldn't have the patience for that.

Anyone can recommend me the best spot to chain fish for Carvanha on route 118? Or is it wiser to do so on 119?

Teach it Dig and replace Water Gun with Surf. Remember, the Move Deleter exists for when you finally get Waterfall.

I hate 2 turn moves, so I taught it Bulldoze instead, which does the job alright. I'm already in Lilycove so I might as well keep waiting until I get Waterfall(I got shitty muddy water anyway now).

Wait wasn't Waterfall in that Abandoned Ship where you need to use Dive? Or did they change that?

edit: Yup, I was thinking of Ice Beam.

Hylian7

RSE contests are still better than the DPP contests and the lame thing BW came up with.
The thing is I have never enjoyed them in any generation. It seems like to get past Super rank I have to basically build a Pokemon from the ground up for it. A process that delays what I really want to do: build my battle team. I have a 6IV Ditto, just need a damn Destiny Knot.

I'm surprised that more people haven't become "Pokemonned out" like I have. The games are so repetitive and structured that it becomes a drag after a while if you've played a lot of Pokemon.

I used to get excited about them, but don't anymore.

Linius

Decided to go to route 119, dodging all the trainers. Second poke was a Carvanha, so that's nice. Hopefully a shiny will appear at some point.

EDIT

Two out of four are Carvanha, go to route 119 I'd say :p

Camisado

I'm surprised that more people haven't become "Pokemonned out" like I have. The games are so repetitive and structured that it becomes a drag after a while if you've played a lot of Pokemon.

I'm certainly getting there. I've played every generation since the beginning and the last two or three have been becoming more and more of a struggle to get through. ORAS is especially difficult because I don't remember the available roster being this bad the first time around. I spent the first 10 hours looking for any fire Pokémon at all (I should of picked Torchic) and it seems all I have available is Slugma, Torkoal and Numel. Not exactly setting the world on fire those ones (ha, bad joke I know :p)

Plenty of Wingulls and Zigzagoons to pick from though...

I shouldn't complain, I'm only just past the 5th gym so I'm sure it'll pick up a bit towards the end game.

But yeah, the lack of evolution in the actual gameplay of these games is starting to get to me, especially when combined with the way they make amazing new additions and then dump them every single game rather than adding to make something even better.

I don't expect we will ever see the DexNav again for example.

EDIT: Also the fact that they now feel the need to release one of these a year isn't helping either. I'd take a better and more unique game every 2-3 years over an almost identical game every year.

Woot! Eon Ticket get!

edit: For Toronto PokeGAF, only real notable thing was that I was passing through Yorkdale Mall EB. Most probable place I can think of as to how I gotten my ticket

Linius

I skipped Black/White 2. I played X and Y just for the story and the same with White. I still enjoyed them but didn't put 100+ hours in them like I used to. But now it's been a long time since I've done that I'm really feeling Alpha Sapphire again. This is gonna be a Poke game I'm gonna go nuts on again. With the amount of releases I think it's only natural you feel exhausted at some point and need to take a break of the series.

The Destiny Knot is tied up to contests?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GF trolling all of us. Still <3 ya GF

I skipped Black/White 2. I played X and Y just for the story and the same with White. I still enjoyed them but didn't put 100+ hours in them like I used to. But now it's been a long time since I've done that I'm really feeling Alpha Sapphire again. This is gonna be a Poke game I'm gonna go nuts on again. With the amount of releases I think it's only natural you feel exhausted at some point and need to take a break of the series.

You picked the best time IMO. There are more features and more complexity and more to do now than ever, not to mention all the tedious shit is now a lot easier

Griss

Funny, because that's exactly where I am with ORAS. Worn out, not really enthused about the series. XY felt so fresh, it pulled me through it at the speed of sound. This one I'm having to force myself to play.

So many dumb design decisions, too. You make secret bases a huge thing but then force the player to always have a pokemon with Secret Power at hand? Why not just let us into the secret bases? Stuff like that and not fixing the HM problem, which is at it's worst in the 3rd gen, drives me crazy.

Azuran

Banned
Woot! Eon Ticket get!

edit: For Toronto PokeGAF, only real notable thing was that I was passing through Yorkdale Mall EB. Most probable place I can think of as to how I gotten my ticket

I got mine either at York University or riding the subway. I'm sure you'll also get plenty of streetpasses if you hang around Ryerson or UoT campuses. Them University kids love their Pokemon.

The Destiny Knot is tied up to contests?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GF trolling all of us. Still <3 ya GF

Actually there's 3 ways to get the destiny knot.

1: Master Rank contests, get it from fans
2: Trainer couple in Sea Mauville. Random chance of winning it
3: Pickup ability

Seil

Funny, because that's exactly where I am with ORAS. Worn out, not really enthused about the series. XY felt so fresh, it pulled me through it at the speed of sound. This one I'm having to force myself to play.

So many dumb design decisions, too. You make secret bases a huge thing but then force the player to always have a pokemon with Secret Power at hand? Why not just let us into the secret bases? Stuff like that and not fixing the HM problem, which is at it's worst in the 3rd gen, drives me crazy.

What do you mean always on hand? You only need secret power to create a new base... So you only need it when searching for a place to settle down x.x

Edit: plus it's a TM which are infinite now... So you can just pop it on something and replace it if you really want to bother.

Firestorm

If I didn't want to just move on with the story I would have kept resetting for it I think. Synchronize works 100% in that encounter for some reason so if you keep a fainted Ralts up first with a Pokémon that has a spread move like Surf or Earthquake or something second, you can mash A to get through everything but the nickname screen (!!!!!!!!! isn't a terrible name though) fairly easily. Still time consuming.

So basically contests and two methods of sheer luck. Thanks GF.

Actually contests still require luck since when the fans give a gift it's random.

So all 3 require some luck. At least losing a Master Rank contest still gets you gifts which can still get a Destiny Knot. Thats how I got mine.

Hylian7

Actually contests still require luck since when the fans give a gift it's random.

So all 3 require some luck. At least losing a Master Rank contest still gets you gifts which can still get a Destiny Knot. Thats how I got mine.
I still have to get through super...

CassSept

I had a 4.5 year break from the series, between Platinum and X, certainly helped :p

Firestorm

I could barely get myself through the fifth Gen games at all but enjoyed XY for some reason. I was sort of dreading going through ORAS but honestly I've been fairly stressed with work and playing something as braindead as Pokémon has been relaxing. A little too relaxing as I've fallen asleep once already playing it... I'm still looking forward to hitting the post-game so I can get started on the part I enjoy of the franchise though!

RiggyRob

Nuzleaf is SO FRAGILE

Loads of Pokemon in Ruby/Sapphire are fragile - Spinda, Masquerain, Magcargo, Camerupt, Sharpedo etc., it really makes it difficult for a Nuzlocke.

Speaking of which, just passed Fallabor Town and caught a Swablu (Nimbus), but I killed a Skarmory I wanted to catch and then Echo (my Loudred) died cause of Azumarill's bullshit Rollout -_-

Really not sure what I should have in my team - Rocco (Linoone)'s a given since he's my HM Slave (Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, Thunder Wave), and Triton (Marshtomp) and Muhammad Ali (Shroomish) are gonna be beasts when they're fully evolved with proper moves, but Skrillex (Masquerain) is weak as shit despite being able to get Quiver Dance/Air Slash/Bug Buzz/Psybeam and Terra (Swallow) doesn't really add much aside from eventually being able to Fly and having Aerial Ace for Fighting types.

I don't really play pokemon for the actual game/story. The games are made for new people and focused on kids so playing for the game isn't going to do it. I play for the collecting part. I already have a living dex but there are many other things for me to do, like make my favorite team get more ribbons and build up a larger collection.

It also helps that I went from pearl then into XY. Only bought Black 2 so I can transfer.

Toxi

Banned
One thing that really grinds my gears: There are so many Water, Fire, and Ground type Pokemon, even in the Hoenn Pokedex. Why are Team Magma and Aqua stuck with their extremely limited Ruby and Sapphire rosters of Poochyena, Zubat, Koffing, and Numel/Carvahnna? How about some Corphish, Barbroach, Baltoy, Trapinch, Spheal, Slugma, etc? Even Emerald at least added Corphish and Baltoy.

One thing that really grinds my gears: There are so many Water, Fire, and Ground type Pokemon, even in the Hoenn Pokedex. Why are Team Magma and Aqua stuck with their extremely limited Ruby and Sapphire rosters of Poochyena, Zubat, Koffing, and Numel/Carvahnna? How about some Corphish, Barbroach, Baltoy, Trapinch, Spheal, Slugma, etc? Even Emerald at least added Corphish and Baltoy.

Admin wants to fight!

Admin has a Camerupt and literally nothing else!

Next time he might have a Mightyena.....Actually no that doesn't happen.

White and White 2 were solid enough, but I didn't love them. Playing through them in consecutive years did it to me because, before that I hadn't really played much Pokemon in a while.

I haven't finished Y yet, so I'll just finish that someday and skip these.

Top Bottom