• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

YEEEEEEEESSSSSS

ElaborateNippyHaddock.gif

Please excuse my poor battle skills. I don't regret investing 2,5 hours in this at all :D
I am SO JEALOUS

Congrats!

Negative_Man.png

Anyway maybe this am I just getting unlucky with coin flips or does Sychromise work a lot less than 50% now for a fainted lead? I had problems with Rayquaza earlier and I'm having problems with Tornadus now. I noticed now that my Breloom has 139 speed so I can reset a lot more quickly now (if it attacks and I outspeed then it is not Timid or if it is Timid the speed IV is below 24...maybe I should come back in a few levels to narrow it more).
Tornadus (Timid) : 31 / 10 - 11 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

I worried that Speed was gonna be 30 or something and was surprised the IV judge said all 5 were perfect.

The worst part is Prankster caused Agility to take priority, so I couldn't attack and check to see if it moves first or not so I can reset immediately whenever it used agility.
Now I know where all the luck went (kidding, thats really nice).

To be honest I'll come back to it tomorrow (hopefully I won't have >=144 speed on this Breloom then, that would suck) as Terrakion is Waiting (also it seems 140 speed is its max, in other words this Breloom is perfect for that). Speaking of which.

Serebii your Pathless Plain info is misleading. It is three Pokemon with maxed EVs in the party; not one (which the phrase "Pokémon with max Effort Values on your team" implies).

Linius

I am SO JEALOUS

Congrats!

Negative_Man.png

My luck really turned up with this, though it didn't look like it at first with that 165 chain that I broke myself. I hope the next one isn't a Magicarp again for you :/

Everyone is like "Congrats on the Shiny Carvanha Linius!!!"

But catching a golden magikarp is just an "Oh..." moment lol.

I didn't even notice you had one too. Pretty much at the same time :lol

Congrats man! Looking back at the previous page we had four new shinies in the community in one page. Will we ever top that?

Cresselia has literally one Tough move it can learn this gen, Giga Impact.

In situations like that you have no real choice but to figure out what move types you can use in that category without getting penalized. For example, for Tough contests with Cresselia you pretty much just use Cool moves that give 4 stars, Slash and Psycho Cut. Your output is more than enough to win.

I just went and move tutored Iron Tail over the Hyper Beam. 2nd attempt was far closer but Lisia still managed to win. 3rd attempt didn't have Lisia so I destroyed the contest lol. I'd rather not use move tutors to get me the moves for contests but you got to do what you got to do. Contest Star Ribbons are more long term rewards for my pokemon.

Noobcraft

I'm back up to a ~30 chain going for that 2nd gold magikarp (Carvanha would be awesome...)
with my luck probably a feebas

Linius

Nice. Congrats!

I was planning on going for a shiny Feebas, but then I realized Milotic's shiny coloration is vastly inferior to his normal one so I stopped.

I stumbled upon a video earlier today when I was looking for confirmation on chain fishing in ORAS. Some guy found out that a few tiles under a bridge only spawn Feebas during the day. So it should be easy to chain fish for a Feebas there if you want one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoljKZCGfu4

MicH

Any contests experts here? I want to have my precious shiny Gardevoir become a master in all ranks. What's the best way to feed it pokeblocks? You can't erase the contest stat after feeding pokeblocks, right?

Linius

So, that Carvanha has a neutral nature, bashful.

Level 25
HP - 59
Attack - 52
Defense - 17
Sp. Attack - 41
Sp. Defense - 16
Speed - 39

How can I find out if it's stats are any good? I'll take him with me anyways, but still.

Also caught two Feebas while I was at it, nature's are impish and naughty. Is that any good for a Milotic?

So, that Carvanha has a neutral nature, bashful.

Level 25
HP - 59
Attack - 52
Defense - 17
Sp. Attack - 41
Sp. Defense - 16
Speed - 39

How can I find out if it's stats are any good? I'll take him with me anyways, but still.

Also caught two Feebas while I was at it, nature's are impish and naughty. Is that any good for a Milotic?
Try Psypoke's IV calc
http://www.psypokes.com/dex/iv.php

And nope, none are particularly good for Milotic. (I'd say out of those probably Impish even though decreased sp.atk sucks)

Linius

Try Psypoke's IV calc
http://www.psypokes.com/dex/iv.php

And nope, none are particularly good for Milotic. (I'd say out of those probably Impish even though decreased sp.atk sucks)

Thanks! I will get to Feebas fishing some other time then. And the IV's for the shiny Carvanha aren't looking too good. For one of the other Carvanha's I caught it's actually quite alright.

Naughty Nature
HP 0-1
Attack 28-31
Defense 4-7
Special Attack 22-25
Special Defense 28-31
Speed 2-5

But yeah, I don't really know how to do EV training and stuff like that so at this point it's pointless for me. That's something for the post game part.

Thanks! I will get to Feebas fishing some other time then. And the IV's for the shiny Carvanha aren't looking too good. For one of the other Carvanha's I caught it's actually quite alright.

Naughty Nature
HP 0-1
Attack 28-31
Defense 4-7
Special Attack 22-25
Special Defense 28-31
Speed 2-5

But yeah, I don't really know how to do EV training and stuff like that so at this point it's pointless for me. That's something for the post game part.

EV's and IV's don't matter on the main game, you can always offset them with levels. Competitive play however, every stat matters.

Noobcraft

I do have a 5 IV Bold milotic with Maxed EV's on x/y that I breeded... Is there a way to trade between XY/ORAS? I have a few 5 IV bold feebas on there and some other 4 iv ones.

Just broke my ~100 chain :/

Linius

EV's and IV's don't matter on the main game, you can always offset them with levels. Competitive play however, every stat matters.

Yeah, I know. But it would have been nice if that shiny one would have been fit for competitive play. But I guess that rarely happens, having a shiny with good stats on top of it :p

Yeah, I know. But it would have been nice if that shiny one would have been fit for competitive play. But I guess that rarely happens, having a shiny with good stats on top of it :p

Most of the time shinies from the wild aren't great for competitive play. Most competitive shinies are bred

Grexeno

Okay, I'm really confused about Dive in this game. Is it an HM? Can Sharpedo learn it? I heard people talking about scuba gear earlier, is that pretty much replacing Dive?

Kouriozan

Just caught Deoxys with a timer ball, I wanted to keep my Master ball, but I feared I had to do all the cutscenes/battles again if I failed.
Took me like 30 turn, in the end he keeps using same attack so I guess he ran out of PPs.
I didn't know Struggle stop making pokémons kill themselve (I think?) >.<

Seil

Okay, I'm really confused about Dive in this game. Is it an HM? Can Sharpedo learn it? I heard people talking about scuba gear earlier, is that pretty much replacing Dive?

It's an HM, yes Sharpedo can learn it, scuba gear is an item you get. It's used when you dive, basically to explain why you're able to breathe.

Personally, I used my Sharpedo alongside my Sceptile and gave it Surf & Waterfall while giving Dive to a Wailmer I caught just for that purpose, so Sharpedo could have the other two slots free. However, Sceptile and Sharpedo were pretty much the only Pokemon I actively used, the others were just along for the ride.

Grexeno

It's an HM, yes Sharpedo can learn it, scuba gear is an item you get. It's used when you dive, basically to explain why you're able to breathe.

Personally, I used my Sharpedo alongside my Sceptile and gave it Surf & Waterfall while giving Dive to a Wailmer I caught just for that purpose, so Sharpedo could have the other two slots free. However, Sceptile and Sharpedo were pretty much the only Pokemon I actively used, the others were just along for the ride.
Well, I always use a full team, so I guess the good news is that I don't need to catch a dedicated Pokemon for Dive. The bad news is that I can't have both Crunch and Ice Fang on my Sharpedo.

Seil

You guys are getting shinies left and right and I haven't even seen one on Alpha Sapphire or Pokemon Y. ;(

I didn't run into a shiny during my X or Y story playthroughs, but have acquired plenty through breeding(all but one accidental and thus meh =/) and through wild encounters in the postgame lol.

In AS, though, I ran into a shiny Nincada pretty early. And then had one of those accidental shinies while breeding a Kangaskhan -.- unfortunately, before I got to the IV stage so it's forever boxed.

Well, I always use a full team, so I guess the good news is that I don't need to catch a dedicated Pokemon for Dive. The bad news is that I can't have both Crunch and Ice Fang on my Sharpedo.

You could go to the move deleter and remove Dive after you finish that segment of the story and replace it with Waterfall. This obviously isn't a solution for extra exploration when you decide to do that, but it's an option.

Kouriozan

You guys are getting shinies left and right and I haven't even seen one on Alpha Sapphire or Pokemon Y. ;(
Haha, try no (wild) shinies since the very first game they started to appear (Gold/Silver) and I played ALL pokémon games until post game content completion.
Only completed national pokédex in Sapphire though.

Grexeno

You could go to the move deleter and remove Dive after you finish that segment of the story and replace it with Waterfall. This obviously isn't a solution for extra exploration when you decide to do that, but it's an option.
Well, other Pokemon should be able to learn a Dark move, or I'll just go without. Now I need to decide between Flygon or Manectric. Flygon is hard to get and evolves late, but Manectric can pretty much only do Lightning moves.

MicH

I actually didn't know you could max every contest stat of a Pokemon. My beautiful, shiny Gardevoir is now perfect in every contest stat :D Time to get that ribbon!

Linius

Well, other Pokemon should be able to learn a Dark move, or I'll just go without. Now I need to decide between Flygon or Manectric. Flygon is hard to get and evolves late, but Manectric can pretty much only do Lightning moves.

I'll let my Sharpedo go with Crunch and teach icebeam to Altaria. Supposing the icebeam tm can be found before the E4. Kind of tricky maybe since ice is also a weakness for Altaria.

2 more pokemon to get contest star ribbons for....

So far, my Empoleon, Milotic and Golem have the ribbons. Now need to get my Luxray and Kricketune the ribbons...

Contemplating if I should get my Vivillon and Delphox ribbons...

Just caught Deoxys with a timer ball, I wanted to keep my Master ball, but I feared I had to do all the cutscenes/battles again if I failed.
Took me like 30 turn, in the end he keeps using same attack so I guess he ran out of PPs.
I didn't know Struggle stop making pokémons kill themselve (I think?) >.<

If this is true I think it's a recent change? I remember trying to catch some pokemon asap because I didn't want them to start Struggling.

Linius

Carvanha/Sharpedo learns Ice Fang naturally. Much better than Ice Beam since Sharpedo is a physical attacker

Yeah I know, but I was thinking going with Icebeam for Altaria. My currently Swablu is rash nature with a + for special attack. And then I'll keep crunch for Sharpedo and give him dive, surf and waterfall for HM purposes. And Ice Fang hit percentage isn't really assuring at 95%. I seem to miss a lot with these 95% attacks :/

One benefit to raising a Flygon now is that it naturally learns Earthquake at a good level so you'll have at least one decent stab move to use through Vibrava.

Also, Vibrava now learns Boomburst. Man, Gamefreak, just give Flygon Quiver Dance already!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
2 more pokemon to get contest star ribbons for....

So far, my Empoleon, Milotic and Golem have the ribbons. Now need to get my Luxray and Kricketune the ribbons...

Contemplating if I should get my Vivillon and Delphox ribbons...
CTRL F "cospl-"

Huh...?

Grexeno

One benefit to raising a Flygon now is that it naturally learns Earthquake at a good level so you'll have at least one decent stab move to use through Vibrava.

Also, Vibrava now learns Boomburst. Man, Gamefreak, just give Flygon Quiver Dance already!
However, I already have Camerupt slotted in, so I dunno how much I need another Ground-type.

Top Bottom