• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Man, the EXP Share just completely breaks this game. I've finally turned it off after most of my Pokemon are Level 45 after the 6th Gym, where the highest leveled Pokemon is Level 35.

as others have said, you should rotate pokemon more. Since you get a shitton of EXP, you can use a bunch of pokemon instead of limiting yourself to 6.

Impala26

Man, the EXP Share just completely breaks this game. I've finally turned it off after most of my Pokemon are Level 45 after the 6th Gym, where the highest leveled Pokemon is Level 35.

I turned it off after my first BATTLE with it on realizing it automatically engages after you receive it... lol.

as others have said, you should rotate pokemon more. Since you get a shitton of EXP, you can use a bunch of pokemon instead of limiting yourself to 6.

Point taken. You could have your "Main Six" and have like 6-10 backups if you're using EXP Share.

I'm at Victory Road and my Pokemon are all lvl 45, no EXP share. Game is still easy but I can easily lose a few Pokemon in a fight if I'm careless, it's pretty ideal. I have a party of 5 that I rotate through so they don't ever outlevel each other by too much.

Houndoom lvl 44
Swampert lvl 44
Latios lvl 45
Metagross lvl 45
Breloom lvl 45

As you can see though I'm using pretty powerful pokemon lol, I'm kinda concerned I'm not going to be a high enough level for the E4.

Impala26

Yeah you'll probably need to grind for the Elite Four. The highest level Pokemon you'll face among them is Level 59.

Other way towards easy XP besides EXP Share is leveling up your Pokemon's happiness in Amie as well as using the EXP Power O-Power.

Griss

Considering the level curve of this one (which is terrible, btw), they really should have held off on the EXP share until after the 8th gym, when you might start to need it approaching Victory Road.

I had to do stuff I've never had to in a Pokemon game before, like have 3 teams of 6 pokemon to rotate in and out, and the game was still facile. I leave the EXP share on because I hate having to switch the lead pokemon in and out constantly to get a weakmon up to speed. A one-pokemon EXP share for your weakest mon would have been a good compromise.

I was nuzlocking, too, so I lost pokemon for good at times (RIP, Karen Dustox, you were great for 34 levels) and it was still easy to plug in wild pokemon and faceroll most trainers. It's a joke at this stage.

Grexeno

Other way towards easy XP besides EXP Share is leveling up your Pokemon's happiness in Amie as well as using the EXP Power O-Power.
Just take note that maxing happiness with Amie will confer benefits other than increased EXP gain, so that may not be the route to go with if you want a challenge.

Yeah you'll probably need to grind for the Elite Four. The highest level Pokemon you'll face among them is Level 59.

Yeah that's gonna be a bitch since I set a rule not to use items during battles so I can't just scum it out with revives. Also I don't really have a Dragon or Steel killer unless I give Swampert Ice Beam(which I don't have) for Dragons.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I actually limit myself to using the same amount of Pokemon as the Gym Leader for the entire Gym, and stick with only those two...

Like Roxanne was Mudkip and Lotad, Brawly was Marshtomp and Ralts...

It's still easy as hell, but it makes it more fun and like in the show and such where it's an even match.

I think Game Freak should do that as a difficulty setting one day, make it so you got to choose Pokemon before each match so you have the same, or less, amount as the Trainers.

Griss

I actually limit myself to using the same amount of Pokemon as the Gym Leader for the entire Gym, and stick with only those two...

It's still easy as hell, but it makes it more fun and like in the show and such where it's an even match.

I think Game Freak should do that as a difficulty setting one day, make it so you got to choose Pokemon before each match so you have the same, or less, amount as the Trainers.

It's such an obvious choice that it baffles me why they don't do it. "This is a 3 pokemon battle - pick your three guys from six!" Would instantly add a bit of difficulty and a bit of fun as you'd have to balance choosing your best guys vs what types the opponent is likely to have vs who needs the experience.

I'm at Victory Road and my Pokemon are all lvl 45, no EXP share. Game is still easy but I can easily lose a few Pokemon in a fight if I'm careless, it's pretty ideal. I have a party of 5 that I rotate through so they don't ever outlevel each other by too much.

Houndoom lvl 44
Swampert lvl 44
Latios lvl 45
Metagross lvl 45
Breloom lvl 45

As you can see though I'm using pretty powerful pokemon lol, I'm kinda concerned I'm not going to be a high enough level for the E4.

if you play smart and buy plenty of revives/potions and stock up on leppa berries you can beat the elite 4 with that team pretty painlessly. You're probably gonna want ~25 revives though for safety.

Impala26

Here's my idea for a "challenge" mode. Since Gym battles are hardly standardized, how about simply have a mode where the Gym Leader battles play out like the Battle Institute battles.

Trainer can use only the amount of Pokemon the leader uses.
All Pokemon are auto-leveled to 50.

By doing this, no "over-leveling" could be used to make the gym battles any easier. It would force people to rely on straight up on strategy. It would sure make the Gym Battles seem far more "official" in my mind.

Ya'll need to set the battle style to "Set". "Switch" makes it easier than EXP Share lmao.

26b9dbcebJdL6.png
Finally found it.

You won't need to grind if you use items like X-Attack etc (they have more of an effect than a few extra levels would, 1 X item is a 50% boost to that stat, two items 100%*). I set up Swampert on the Champion and completely steamrolled him despite being several levels below.

*-Note for things like X-defend an opponent getting a critical hit will ignore the boost.

Just take note that maxing happiness with Amie will confer benefits other than increased EXP gain, so that may not be the route to go with if you want a challenge.
Thankfully the 30% EXP boost (and requirement for Sylveon) is only at 2 hearts.

Linius

Haha, that comic is so accurate. And I don't even play on 'set'. Maybe I should do that with the X copy I still have lying around untouched.

Finally found it.

You won't need to grind if you use items like X-Attack etc (they have more of an effect than a few extra levels would, 1 X item is a 50% boost to that stat, two items 100%*). I set up Swampert on the Champion and completely steamrolled him despite being several levels below.

*-Note for things like X-defend an opponent getting a critical hit will ignore the boost.

I don't use items in battle, I want to emulate a fair match as much as possible(I know they use potions but I use hold items to even it out somewhat). I also play on set because Switch is just way too easy.

I'll have to deal with it, I think I'll try it anyway.

Just got Rocky Helmet.

Part of me wants to give it to Carvanha, but I'd rather wait until it evolves. Focus Band kinda helps since it dies too much lol.

Stuart444

Just got access to the GTS and I saw what that video showed a while back. The amount of Jirachi with those names. Disgusting :/

one_kill

Two questions about secret bases:
- What do you get by fighting the trainers and the secret base owner? Better rewards? More flags?
- How are some of you getting more flags in a base?

Played without it the whole run so far and before the sixth gym my poke's range from 25 to 35. I need to grind a little here and there, but much better this way.

I'm doing the same. The game's still kind of easy because Hoenn Pokemon are much more capable than they were 12 years ago (Seviper's Toxic+Venoshock is crazy), but you'll at least get some resistance this way, especially if you hold back on Mega Evolving.

I'm doing the same. The game's still kind of easy because Hoenn Pokemon are much more capable than they were 12 years ago (Seviper's Toxic+Venoshock is crazy), but you'll at least get some resistance this way, especially if you hold back on Mega Evolving.

It also helps that most Pokemon in this game gotten a moveset update or a shuffle so they'll have their stronger moves early on instead of later. DexNav also breaks things too, lol

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You can kill it and then it'll reappear in Sky Pillar after defeating the E4 again
Can you still grind for a shiny the second time he appears? Or will he be forever locked as a non-shiny? If the former is the case, I may be tempted to faint him the first time.

wiibomb

Can you still grind for a shiny the second time he appears? Or will he be forever locked as a non-shiny? If the former is the case, I may be tempted to faint him the first time.

I think you can kill it as many times as you want, but you have to beat E4 before it reappearing

So I might be going crazy here but I think one of my Landorus just had Sheer Force instead of Sand Force... Unfortunately I SR'ed just as I saw it. Is there any word on this?

Saiyan-Rox

So gaf I fucked up :(

I got the eon ticket first try with streetpass booted up there game to check didn't even think and shut the game off!!!!! Bye bye pass :( I'm so stupid

WarAdept

Yeah I haven't had the battle system as "Shift" since the original GB(C) games. Set is the standard ruleset for competitive online, battle communities and sims like Smogon as well as ingame Battle "XXXXX.

Unless you're playing Pokemon for the first time and learning typing and whatnot, or just want to make the game super easy, I'd advise against Shift all the time.

entremet

Could Hoenn vets explain Secret Bases?

Is is just a Sim things type thing? With making a personal home?

What are the benefits? And why can you only have one at a time when there are dozens of locations?

Do you get special TMs or Pokemon for creating one?

I just don't see any incentive beyond cosmetic.

Stuart444

I don't know why but...

I'm SRing for a Jolly Natured Taillow (SRing because of the amount of Pokeballs I'm wasting. ) Helps I already have a Taillow I am using to battle it (Mudkip is strong enough it would kill the Taillows) and allows me to use DexNav to hunt for it.

So yeah, no idea why I'm hunting for a specific nature when I usually don't care but I am. First pokemon in this game that I care enough about the nature to SR.

TheBear

How do I evolve Skitty?
And I don't really understand evolutions in general, is it just hitting an arbitrary level number?

WarAdept

How do I evolve Skitty?
And I don't really understand evolutions in general, is it just hitting an arbitrary level number?

Every Pokemon has different evolution requirements. Some require a simple level. Some require a particular item such as a Stone to evolve. Some need to be traded to evolve.

As for Skitty, to get it to evolve you need to expose it to a Moon Stone.

How do I evolve Skitty?
Some Pokemon evolve in specific conditions. In Skitty's case, you need a Moon Stone. As long as you have one it doesn't matter what level Skitty is for it to evolve. There are then Pokemon like Machoke which you need to trade it to evolve. Though Machoke, Kadabra, Graveler and Clamperl are the only Pokemon that evolve by trading in the Hoenn games, so I wouldn't worry. (EDIT: Actually add Dusclops and Rhydon now, since they got a new evolution)

How do I evolve Skitty?

In general you should look up how your Pokemon level up, I've been playing Pokemon since the start and I still can't remember how and when a lot of Pokemon evolve.

In fact I look up everything before I decide to use a Pokemon, stats, Movepool, etc.

Could Hoenn vets explain Secret Bases?

Is is just a Sim things type thing? With making a personal home?

What are the benefits? And why can you only have one at a time when there are dozens of locations?

Do you get special TMs or Pokemon for creating one?

I just don't see any incentive beyond cosmetic.
You can only have one base up at a time. The other locations will be populated by other players. I think the limit it can store is about 30 (disappointing, I'd have liked to have one in each possible location) with non-favorite ones being overwritten.

You can battle trainers using them. 3 Pokemon Team trainers but still. You'll get bases from streetpassing (I think also the Bzznav when you go online will give bases) and can use QR codes to get bases. Quite a few players have made level 100 Blissey secret bases which offer the most EXP in the game (which certainly makes up for the lack of leveling options in ORAS).

You can recruit up to 5 pals for your own bases who can give small benefits each day.

As for things you can get from them. Platinum rank is the only way to get Garchompite (good thing Mega Garchomp is a downgrade). Rank goes up by taking flags you find in other bases and some pals can "Tell your fortune" which will give you a random max rank o-power at higher ranks.

The secret pal stuff is new as is the Areanav telling you what route bases are on. In the GBA days you had to find them yourself.

KemoSabe

Soo, now that i have both of the new games, at which point in the story can i trade Pokémon between the 2 versions?

I want all 3 starter Pokémon on one game...

Top Bottom