• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Stuart444

2 questions:

1. What does potential mean? I just saw a Taillow with a star on his potential thing in DexNav (first time I've seen a lit up star there).

2. How do you know/figure out the IVs?

Lisia, I'm coming for you, bitch.

This is one of the worst pokemon that I've ever caught. It has 4 0 IVs, I have never seen something similar.

In the words of the great poet:
Reminds me of something I received on Wonder trade one
A Shiny Happiny nicknamed "No thanks", it had a few 0 IVs...but 4 0 IVs that is like Gen III bugged roamer bad...good thing IVs don't matter in contests

2 questions:

1. What does potential mean? I just saw a Taillow with a star on his potential thing in DexNav (first time I've seen a lit up star there).

1. Each star of potential is a perfect IV.
2. Online calculators (e.g. http://www.legendarypokemon.net/ivcalcxy.html) and the stat judge in the battle resort (the judge declares the best stats which is useful at lower levels e.g. after breeding).

DeVeAn

Guess I am the only one that loves EXP share. I been a fan since Red and I done enough grinding for a humans lifetime.

Hylian7

Guess I am the only one that live EXP share. I been a fan since Red and I done enough grinding for a humans lifetime.
I enjoy the openness of the post game, so getting to the post game is something I rang to do quickly. Exp Share on for me unless I am doing EV training or something.

Takashi

2 questions:

Each star in the potential stat corresponds to a perfect IV stat, so if it has one star that's one guaranteed perfect IV, and so on.

You can use an IV calculator. A lot of people use psypokes' IV calculator, but idk which one is considered the best though.

Edit: beaten

Linius

Guess I am the only one that loves EXP share. I been a fan since Red and I done enough grinding for a humans lifetime.

The old Exp. share was good. Just to level up one poke. But give the whole team xp is just insane to me. I can set up my ideal poke for each trainer rampaging trough this game and meanwhile the rest of the team enjoys the xp too.

Also, how do I reach that Feebas spot exactly? I'm still not aware of where it is exactly. I want a shiny Feebas too :D

Do you guys recommend any spot for chain fishing? I already have a shiny Horsea and a Skrelp. I was thinking about trying for a Wailmer / Staryu, but the Staryu chance is like 5% only, with 95% being Wailmers.

Also, how do I reach that Feebas spot exactly? I'm still not aware of where it is exactly. I want a shiny Feebas too :D

Go left of the Tree Village (Fort-something), then down. Use surf and go under the bridge, in the shadow. There you can only get Feebas if you try during daytime.

Hatchtag

Banned

The games were never grindy before
bar maybe the Johto games but that's more a flaw in them than in the series itself
, you just needed to know how to manage your team and manage getting exp. Now there's no need to manage it, and thus the games become a boring cakewalk.

Stuart444

Reminds me of something I received on Wonder trade one
A Shiny Happiny nicknamed "No thanks", it had a few 0 IVs...but 4 0 IVs that is like Gen III bugged roamer bad...good thing IVs don't matter in contests

1. Each star of potential is a perfect IV.
2. Online calculators (e.g. http://www.legendarypokemon.net/ivcalcxy.html) and the stat judge in the battle resort (the judge declares the best stats which is useful at lower levels e.g. after breeding).

Well fuck, a Perfect IV but not with the nature I want haha.

I'll be keeping an eye out for that throughout the game I think.

edit: I like EXP Share purely because it means I can use more than 6 pokemon regularly throughout the game. Though if I felt it was getting to be a bit much, I'd happily turn it off for a bit and then later on turn it on again.

Linius

Do you guys recommend any spot for chain fishing? I already have a shiny Horsea and a Skrelp. I was thinking about trying for a Wailmer / Staryu, but the Staryu chance is like 5% only, with 95% being Wailmers.

Just make sure it's a secluded spot so the chance of keeping your chain going is the highest. And yeah, the rest is sheer luck. Getting a shiny Staryu seems tough with a 5% chance. Just like the chance of getting a Magicarp on route 119 is the highest by far.

EDIT

Ah, thanks for the answer. I haven't reached Fortree yet, I'm halfway there. I'll go and beat the gym first to get fly and everything and then I'll go back to grab the amulet coin and hunt down a shiny Magicarp and Feebas.

DeVeAn

The games were never grindy before
bar maybe the Johto games but that's more a flaw in them than in the series itself
, you just needed to know how to manage your team and manage getting exp. Now there's no need to manage it, and thus the games become a boring cakewalk.
I disagree. For the same reason as I stated above there are stretches of time where a couple of your Pokémon are not effective against what you're fighting. Which means, when you get to the next area, You have to hang there for a bit to get caught up. I consider that grinding.

Just make sure it's a secluded spot so the chance of keeping your chain going is the highest. And yeah, the rest is sheer luck. Getting a shiny Staryu seems tough with a 5% chance. Just like the chance of getting a Magicarp on route 119 is the highest by far.

Yeah, the spot trick I learned in X/Y, that's how I got my Carvanha. I just wish there were more cool pokemons to fish this time, only the usual boring ones. X/Y was better in that aspect, you could even get a Dragonair IIRC (I'm using the super rod).

So all six on your team get equal use? In my experience there are long stretches of time where only one of your six is super effective. So one or two always lag 10 levels behind.
All my Pokemon get equal use, and this is on Set. I normally give the one that is a bit behind more attention so it could catch up.

I really haven't grinded against wild Pokemon yet (admittedly though, DexNav giving you higher level wild Pokemon than usual played a bit here, since all wild Pokemon I caught were already around the level of the rest of my team)

Linius

Yeah, the spot trick I learned in X/Y, that's how I got my Carvanha. I just wish there were more cool pokemons to fish this time, only the usual boring ones. X/Y was better in that aspect, you could even get a Dragonair IIRC (I'm using the super rod).

I was thinking about a shiny dratini, that would be cool. But you can't catch it in ORAS apparently. Time to bust out my Y copy and get fishing there.

DeVeAn

All my Pokemon get equal use, and this is on Set. I normally give the one that is a bit behind more attention so it could catch up.

I really haven't grinded against wild Pokemon yet (admittedly though, DexNav giving you higher level wild Pokemon than usual played a bit here, since all wild Pokemon I caught were already around the level of the rest of my team)
I did the same thing with all the other games before X and Y.

Azuran

Banned

It sucks on the story but it's amazing for postgame grinding. You can basically get an entire team EV trained and up to 50 in one day if you want.

TheBear

Evolving is always the best choice(there are a few exceptions), he's just saying the evolution is ass. But if you really want to use her go for it.

It really doesn't matter for main game anyway, use the pokemon you like.

OK cool thanks. I don't know why but I tried Black and didn't think anything of it. This has really sucked me in.

So all six on your team get equal use? In my experience there are long stretches of time where only one of your six is super effective. So one or two always lag 10 levels behind.
For me they only fall one level behind, if that. It has never really been an issue for me.

Stuart444

So my fiancee was the first to catch a Jolly natured Taillow before I did (I have seen a lot of different first moves though, Whirlwind, Brave Bird, Boomburst, etc) and while looking up the IVs for her, I'm a little confused. Can anyone teach me how to read this thing?

ibpN5KePqBdGat.png

one_kill

So my fiancee was the first to catch a Jolly natured Taillow before I did (I have seen a lot of different first moves though, Whirlwind, Brave Bird, Boomburst, etc) and while looking up the IVs for her, I'm a little confused. Can anyone teach me how to read this thing?
Use this http://www.psypokes.com/dex/iv.php

Edit: It's hard to tell. You're not going to get good IVs on the get go. DexNav makes it easier to get Pokemon with better potential, but you can still get a lot better. I wouldn't worry so much about it. If you just want a Jolly Taillow, that's easy to do. If you want good to perfect IVs in the right stats, that's more time consuming. Unless you're planning to use a Swellow competitively, then it's not worth it because you'll be adding EV training, egg moves, etc. to the mix.

As for reading it, 0 = no IV and 31 = perfect IV

DaBoss

All of the numbers listed with some bolded indicate what values those IVs could be. You also have it listed as having HP as the best stat, but you can't know that unless you talk to the IV judge who will tell you what the best stats are. You should leave that blank.

Hopefully you didn't battle anything with it cause that will cause it to gain EVs which will make it not accurate unless you know how many EVs it has gained.

Personally I use this: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Though the Psypokes one is simpler and is probably better for you.

The "spread" is all the possible IV's it could have. Because it's a low level Pokemon, the IV's still aren't clear. The higher level the Pokemon the easier the IV's are to figure out.

Azuran

Banned

That's just an over detailed calculator. Since it's low level, the spread means his IV might by any of those numbers with the bold ones having a higher chance of occurring as you level him up. Of course, at that point in time you're going to have to take EVs into account unless you use rare candies, which you probably won't.

Stuart444

And this is the one from Psypoke. Still not sure if it's good, guess it will become more apparent when it's a higher level? (though I won't know what the EVs are by then, though Super Training still works like in XY right? So I can reset EVs there I think)

edit: Thanks for the answers btw. Not concentrated on IVs before. Last gen, I learned a lot about EVs and EV training but never bothered with IVs so I'm trying to learn a bit about this now.

And this is the one from Psypoke. Still not sure if it's good, guess it will become more apparent when it's a higher level? (though I won't know what the EVs are by then, though Super Training still works like in XY right? So I can reset EVs there I think)

Yes you can reset the EVs later.

Azuran

Banned

I'm guessing it's for story, but either way, his attack is too low to be considered good.

one_kill

Ya it's mainly for story but we're making an effort to learn about this stuff early on. Helps if we want to build a competitive team during post-game.
I wouldn't worry so much about it. I skipped the competitive aspect of Pokemon until I finished XY's story. It's easy to get once you start learning how to breed. Worrying about it early in the game is going to, in my opinion, negatively affect your enjoyment of the game. You'll be too busy hunting Pokemon with beneficial natures, good moves, etc.

All of the numbers listed with some bolded indicate what values those IVs could be. You also have it listed as having HP as the best stat, but you can't know that unless you talk to the IV judge who will tell you what the best stats are. You should leave that blank.

Hopefully you didn't battle anything with it cause that will cause it to gain EVs which will make it not accurate unless you know how many EVs it has gained.

Personally I use this: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Though the Psypokes one is simpler and is probably better for you.
Not actually true, since the little personality thing in the profile also gives info on the best stat

Ya it's mainly for story but we're making an effort to learn about this stuff early on. Helps if we want to build a competitive team during post-game.

If it's for story then it really doesn't matter, you can use a Pokemon with 0's across the board if you like. It's okay if you're just doing this to figure stuff out though, remember that resetting EV's makes your Pokemon somewhat weaker as it loses a bunch of stats.

Azuran

Banned

For Taillow, you want high IVs on Attack and Speed. Most of the time, you can tell what a Pokemon needs by looking at its base stats.

Getting into competitive Pokemon is a lot of fun. It looks really difficult, but it's actually quite easy once everything clicks for you. It certainly helps a lot to slowly read on the mechanics as you play the game but it's not necessary for the story.

MicH

What? I have gotten a Secret Base from someone named DaBoss. Is that you, DaBoss? If so, that is really weird

DaBoss

What? I have gotten a Secret Base from someone named DaBoss. Is that you, DaBoss? If so, that is really weird
Probably. If it is on Route 125 (or my old one in Route 119 I think), then it probably is me. I've read people saying it adds secret bases for people who are in your friends list.

MicH

Probably. If it is on Route 125 (or my old one in Route 119 I think), then it probably is me. I've read people saying it adds secret bases for people who are in your friends list.
Oh, I didn't know that. It's the one near Fortree. Pretty cool that it's not just strangers!

Carvanha evolved and my Pink Sharpedo (more like purple which is even better) is doing WORK

Ice Fanging Winona's Gym like it's nothing.

Top Bottom