• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

What do you need to know?

As much as possible! But specifically, I have these questions:

How many islands are there at any one time? Do they decrease or increase depending on any factors or is it constant?

I read that the Pokemon reset every day, but do we know when the reset happens?

Does streetpassing have anything to do with it? If so, how does it affect the Pokemon on the islands?

Yrael

First truly random shiny Pokemon I ever caught without chaining, breeding or fishing was a golden Rattata in Black 2.

(A pity shiny Raticate is nothing special. I've never evolved it for that reason.)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I just finished the Delta episode! Really enjoyed myself, though a tad too reliant on travelling.

Both Rayqueza & Deoxys were caught in 1 try via Ultra Ball. I found that odd, anyone else had it as easy lol?

MicH

Just finished completely re-arranging my boxes. All competitively bred Pokemon are now sorted after tier and I've separated my non-pentagon Pokemon from my pentagon ones. Looks so nice now

Korosenai

Should I go with Adamant or Jolly for Mega Metagross. Kind of leaning more towards adamant for attack, but having more speed can never be a bad thing.

SecondStage

Neo Member
Hey, quick question. I'm thinking about picking up a 3DS and a Pokemon game this game this week. I haven't touched the franchise since the original Ruby way back when. I was wondering if I should pick up X/Y first or just dive into OR/AS or maybe go back further and start with Black/White?

Shun

Should I go with Adamant or Jolly for Mega Metagross. Kind of leaning more towards adamant for attack, but having more speed can never be a bad thing.

Go for Jolly, in a 4v4 or a 6v6 situation, you will have more than enough attack power to bring down a team. Plus what good is all that attack once you get hit by a burn?

Go for speed to go first. Speed and Priority really, really helps.

If you want to build another Metagross, I suggest using something unorthodox like a Trick Metagross. I used to use a Lagging Tail/Other Trick Metagross and caught a few people off guard.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hey, quick question. I'm thinking about picking up a 3DS and a Pokemon game this game this week. I haven't touched the franchise since the original Ruby way back when. I was wondering if I should pick up X/Y first or just dive into OR/AS or maybe go back further and start with Black/White?
Start with XY first for a fresher experience the move onto ORAS for the nostalgia.

Crayolan

There's no point in buying XY when a better version will be released next year.

one_kill

XY

Start with XY first for a fresher experience the move onto ORAS for the nostalgia.

I would suggest X/Y first as well. I enjoyed the game a lot, and there is the added bonus that the Friend Safari is a much easier way of grabbing your favorite pokemon when compared to Mirage spots which you can then transfer into ORAS (right?).

Thorakai

I would jump right into the latest entry. I would imagine it would be way cooler to see how things have changed with a remake of the last Pokemon game you've touched. Plus there isn't a whole lot about X/Y that is must-see besides the huge variety of Pokemon available per zone. If there ever was a game to go back to after ORAS its Black/White, if only to appreciate the zenith of 2D Pokemon.

one_kill

I would jump right into the latest entry. I would imagine it would be way cooler to see how things have changed with a remake of the last Pokemon game you've touched. Plus there isn't a whole lot about X/Y that is must-see besides the huge variety of Pokemon available per zone. If there ever was a game to go back to after ORAS its Black/White, if only to appreciate the zenith of 2D Pokemon.
Na dude, it's cooler to see new Pokemon and new environments

Azuran

Banned

XY. It's a fresh experience and has a lot more Pokemon so it's perfect for a returning player. You can then picked up ORAS afterwards if you're fully back on board.

SecondStage

Neo Member
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I think i'll do this. I think i'd rather see a new zone and Pokemon and the like before jumping back into something I've experienced before albeit a very long time ago. I'm pretty excited, I'm hoping this meta I'm hearing about isn't too hard to jump into.

For those folks recommending XY: remember that there will certainly be a "Z" version coming in a year or so.

Yes, but we are in the here and now.

Plus, the third iteration of a generation is usually different enough for people who played the previous games to enjoy as well right? I am legitimately asking as I have not played any of them except a tiny bit of Yellow!

Crayolan

Yes, but we are in the here and now.

Plus, the third iteration of a generation is usually different enough for people who played the previous games to enjoy as well right? I am legitimately asking as I have not played any of them except a tiny bit of Yellow!

With the exception of Yellow (more like sidegrades rather than upgrades) and Black 2/White 2 (completely different games) the 3rd version always renders the originals outdated. Sure, for big pokemon nuts (like me :p) it's enough to enjoy it a second time through, but for the average person, especially if you've already managed to go a year without playing the originals, you'd be better off waiting another and just playing the superior version.

Kamina

Golden Boy
For those folks recommending XY: remember that there will certainly be a "Z" version coming in a year or so.
I dont believe that. Maybe X2Y2, or maybe none.
I am also fairly certain we will never see a Delta Emerald version since that is pretty much covered in the Delta Episode.

With the exception of Yellow (more like sidegrades rather than upgrades) and Black 2/White 2 (completely different games) the 3rd version always renders the originals outdated. Sure, for big pokemon nuts (like me :p) it's enough to enjoy it a second time through, but for the average person, especially if you've already managed to go a year without playing the originals, you'd be better off waiting another and just playing the superior version.

If it were already announced, then I would agree with you and just say wait on it, but I think X/Y still trumps ORAS in enough aspects(mostly wild Pokemon selection though) that playing X/Y first is the way to go.

Plus, we don't even know if something like DexNav would be retroactively added to Z for example. ORAS is such a direct continuation and expansion feature wise that I think it would be harder to play X/Y after ORAS. Just my opinion though!

I really hope we get Z with DexNav. Pleaaaaassseee GameFreak!

I dont believe that. Maybe X2Y2, or maybe none.
I am also fairly certain we will never see a Delta Emerald version since that is pretty much covered in the Delta Episode.

the XY story doesn't lend itself to a sequel in the way BW did. BW was very remarkable in that respect, and that's part of why it remains the best story in pokemon.
...And there's absolutely no chance there isn't some type of derivation of XY unless gamefreak's entire team mysteriously falls off the face of the earth.
I agree there won't be a "Delta Emerald"

As much as possible! But specifically, I have these questions:

How many islands are there at any one time? Do they decrease or increase depending on any factors or is it constant?

I read that the Pokemon reset every day, but do we know when the reset happens?

Does streetpassing have anything to do with it? If so, how does it affect the Pokemon on the islands?
You can have a fuckton of islands, but the only way to get more than your daily one is to "pass" people either through streetpass or the interweb.

At midnight the islands reset to just one random one for you. The Pokemon on them are constant.

Crayolan

If it were already announced, then I would agree with you and just say wait on it, but I think X/Y still trumps ORAS in enough aspects(mostly wild Pokemon selection though) that playing X/Y first is the way to go.

Plus, we don't even know if something like DexNav would be retroactively added to Z for example. ORAS is such a direct continuation and expansion feature wise that I think it would be harder to play X/Y after ORAS. Just my opinion though!

I really hope we get Z with DexNav. Pleaaaaassseee GameFreak!

Playing XY would be harder after ORAS because ORAS is the better game in almost every respect.

DexNav is never returning, but some of its features may live in on in another form, considering the idea of the DexNav was inspired by the Habitat List in BW2

ahdurian

is anyone available to help me evolve my Magmar?
I'm literally right before the Champ, and wold like Magmortar on my first Champion team

4613-6859-9071

You can have a fuckton of islands, but the only way to get more than your daily one is to "pass" people either through streetpass or the interweb.

At midnight the islands reset to just one random one for you. The Pokemon on them are constant.

Awesome! I am pretty sure that I found that Ditto island after midnight last night, so hopefully it is still there when I get home from work!

I really like the idea behind the Mirage islands. The Friend Safari was really goddamn useful in X/Y but it was also kinda boring and tedious.

Crayolan said:
Playing XY would be harder after ORAS because ORAS is the better game in almost every respect.

DexNav is never returning, but some of its features may live in on in another form, considering the idea of the DexNav was inspired by the Habitat List in BW2

Ehhh, I agree on a lot of points but the biggest draw for me is the Pokemon selection. And I have to say that the selection in ORAS is kinda shitty throughout the main story.

If it weren't for a few lucky Wonder Trades, I would have struggled to even build a full team of Mons I liked....

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
the XY story doesn't lend itself to a sequel in the way BW did. BW was very remarkable in that respect, and that's part of why it remains the best story in pokemon.
...And there's absolutely no chance there isn't some type of derivation of XY unless gamefreak's entire team mysteriously falls off the face of the earth.
I agree there won't be a "Delta Emerald"

I was king of thinking these thoughts, at least on X2/Y2. I can't really see where any sort of sequel could go.

But DexNav and char. customization had better show up in the next game.

Ehhh, I agree on a lot of points but the biggest draw for me is the Pokemon selection. And I have to say that the selection in ORAS is kinda shitty throughout the main story.

If it weren't for a few lucky Wonder Trades, I would have struggled to even build a full team of Mons I liked....

It could be rose-tinted glasses on the original Ruby/Sapphire, but I don't remember the selection being as bad as it is in ORAS. Probably just all the variety in X/Y throwing me off.

Heh, it has been a while since I tried the maison. I love using some 'mons here, but I guess that I'll have to get some broken ones to get beyond 50 on SS.

I was king of thinking these thoughts, at least on X2/Y2. I can't really see where any sort of sequel could go.

But DexNav and char. customization had better show up in the next game.

It could be rose-tinted glasses on the original Ruby/Sapphire, but I don't remember the selection being as bad as it is in ORAS. Probably just all the variety in X/Y throwing me off.

Yeah, I am looking at it with a fresh perspective. I have only played RBY and X/Y to completion. Though, I am starting to regret skipping out on the franchise for so long.

The ORAS selection is crap though. Way too many areas have the exact same Pokemon.....
It doesn't ruin my enjoyment at all, but I really should have restarted X/Y and just transferred a few things over....

Yeah, I am looking at it with a fresh perspective. I have only played RBY and X/Y to completion. Though, I am starting to regret skipping out on the franchise for so long.

The ORAS selection is crap though. Way too many areas have the exact same Pokemon.....
It doesn't ruin my enjoyment at all, but I really should have restarted X/Y and just transferred a few things over....

ORAS selection actually isn't bad except for ice pokemon. there are a solid 80 or so serious options to build a team around. And in ORAS you get the national pokedex before you even beat the E4, so selection isn't the issue it would immediately seem. That said, there are a large number of pokemon that you have to actively seek out to find such as mawile, baltoy, cacnea, barboach, relicanth, etc. due to their rare or off-the-beaten-path location.

ORAS selection actually isn't bad except for ice pokemon. there are a solid 80 or so serious options to build a team around. And in ORAS you get the national pokedex before you even beat the E4, so selection isn't the issue it would immediately seem. That said, there are a large number of pokemon that you have to actively seek out to find such as mawile, baltoy, cacnea, barboach, relicanth, etc. due to their rare or off-the-beaten-path location.

Yeah, calling it shit is a little too harsh I will admit.

I just feel like there was very little variety to start, especially compared to X/Y.
And I just can't find many Pokemon from this gen that I really like, so it does partially come down to personal preference.

Yeah, calling it shit is a little too harsh I will admit.

I just feel like there was very little variety to start, especially compared to X/Y.
And I just can't find many Pokemon from this gen that I really like, so it does partially come down to personal preference.

XY has a absolutely massive regional dex, so it's fair that you feel that way. Hopefully you find something that appeals to you. Tropius, Relicanth, Mawile, Spinda, Ludicolo and some other 3rd gen pokemon are high ranking in my favourites.

out of curiosity, whats the highest level pokemon trainer/gym/e4 r2 etc. get in this?

E4 round 2 metagross is level 79.

Hatchtag

Banned
Where's the best place to grind exp as I rotate out many team members? Gonna be trying to evolve ~70 Pokemon for my dex. Battle Chateau should've came with the Maison. If they're gonna lazily replace the Battle Frontier with recycled things, at least recycle a little more.

Top Bottom