• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Not sure if this has already been asked, but what's the easiest way to collect the flags?
How many flags you get form a base seems to be linked to how many that base recently got.

Go online, check buzznav, check out the bases, take their flag, fight their leader, add the leader to your pals, go to your base and talk to them (they might give you flags at this point), send them away, delete the base. Apparently you can receive bases from via buzznav more than once a day.

Remember that bases recieved via a QR code won't have flags until the next day.

Macka

I beat the Elite Four yesterday with my level ~46 team.

I turned off the Exp. Share and changed the battle mode to 'Set' as soon as I could, and the game was still pathetically easy, EXCEPT for the Steven battle. That shit was intense, and a great end to the journey. I really enjoyed the credits and remembering which of my Pokemon excelled in each part of the game. Was that in XY? I can't remember.

I see a lot of praise for the Wally fight, and it's true that the music was great and the battlefield was gorgeous, but man did I drop him like a sack of potatoes. He's also incredibly plain as a rival. Am I supposed to feel proud that I beat the sickly younger timid kid?
I was hoping they'd flesh him out a bit more in this game, and while he is -marginally- better, you still only see him like three times and battle him twice in the entire game.

Anyway, I'm working towards getting my national living dex on Bank now. Already had the shiny charm on Y so there isn't much left to go. 656 and counting.

I see a lot of praise for the Wally fight, and it's true that the music was great and the battlefield was gorgeous, but man did I drop him like a sack of potatoes. He's also incredibly plain as a rival. Am I supposed to feel proud that I beat the sickly younger timid kid?
I was hoping they'd flesh him out a bit more in this game, and while he is -marginally- better, you still only see him like three times and battle him twice in the entire game.

His final team in post-game is literally competitive grade. (Can probably use the same setup competitively and do quite well) So he still gets development in post-game

Well damn, I just realized that Pikachu is in the Safari Zone.
No wonder I missed getting my usual Raichu for the team!
Only stopped in there briefly, as I planned to go after I had beaten the E4.

Guess I am taking a detour on the way!

I have asked before, but is there any kind soul out there willing to help me with some breeding stock for any of the following?

Froakie
Sycther
Joltik
Honedge
Deino
Squirtle

I really want to rebuild my old team from X/Y...

Qurupeke

Luckiest day ever. I think I got it at the 5th try. lol Also, BOLD and the IVs aren't that bad. :D

67m7RcS.jpg

Varion

His final team in post-game is literally competitive grade. (Can probably use the same setup competitively and do quite well) So he still gets development in post-game
Doing this fight is half the reason I want to mess around with the battle maison at all. Was joking with friends about how it'd be cool if you could fight him in the postgame and laughed when I found out you can.

Corgi

Banned
oh yeah, is HM's still a 'thing'?

XY were trying to streamline that stuff.

I'm guessing not if swampert has waterfall in the demo...

Makes you wonder why not have most of the hm shit at items your character gets.

like a machete, flashlight, swimming trunks, drill, etc.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Because the point is your Pokemon are interacting with the world and helping you get places.

HM's will always be a thing. Whats the point have having a pokemon if the main char can do all the work

HM's will always be a thing. Whats the point have having a pokemon if the main char can do all the work
Not having to waste a spot in your lineup for HM slaves. The trade off for having your Pokemon help you explore the world isn't worth having to sit a Pokemon I actually want to use or have their moveset bogged down by a bunch of HM moves. I had a full team by the time I got to the lengthy water sections of OR and now I have to have one Pokemon sit out and lose a chance to gain experience so I can have a Pokemon in my party that knows Rock Smash/Strength/Dive/Surf.

Frankly, I don't understand why Dive had to be an HM in the first place. They literally give you a scuba suit, they could have just used that as an explanation of how you could dive down deep into the water.

Not having to waste a spot in your lineup for HM slaves. The trade off for having your Pokemon help you explore the world isn't worth having to sit a Pokemon I actually want to use or have their moveset bogged down by a bunch of HM moves. I had a full team by the time I got to the lengthy water sections of OR and now I have to have one Pokemon sit out and lose a chance to gain experience so I can have a Pokemon in my party that knows Rock Smash/Strength/Dive/Surf.

Still removes the whole point of using pokemon for almost everything. I understand the logic but the whole idea is to have pokemon do everything is kinda the main focus of the game.

What I usually do is never care about exploring or the main story line pokemon/moves. Exploring is done separately after in postgame and use my own personal favorites that I bring up from other games for everything else. Why should I care about pokemon I gain from the current journey when I'm still trying to journey with pokemon I made back how many gens ago. And if I wanted competitive it would take so much work in post-game that there's no point trying to start it in the main game.

edit: I literally facepalmed when I encountered this.

My big problem with HMs is that you can't delete them unless you go the move deleter.

Though it makes sense why it's like that, so eh. I guess they could just make the move deleter easier to find and hell of a lot earlier as well.

Still removes the whole point of using pokemon for almost everything. I understand the logic but the whole idea is to have pokemon do everything is kinda the main focus of the game.

edit: I literall facepalmed when I encountered this.

Then instead of making it moves you need to teach make them a secondary ability that the Pokemon has. That way as long as you have a water Pokemon it instinctively know moves like Dive/Surf/Whirlpool and you don't have to waste actual move slots on the moves that are almost useless in battle (Which a lot of the HM's are).

If you want to go with logic in the game it makes no sense that I'm fishing for water Pokemon who don't know already how to swim or dive in the first place. Also, there are plenty of swimmers on these water routes that aren't riding Pokemon, so it's obvious within the world that you don't need a Pokemon to swim out on water routes.

Linius

I resetted a lot today, no shiny starter. :(

All that work with no result is always a bummer.

I don't even have enough money to take my Pokemon out of the daycare. I am so strapped for cash in this game! The restaurants in XY spoiled me :( I had over 2 million in that game. And I miss the exp too. I only have one Blissey base and it's at level 50

Over 2 million? Did they finally lose the 999.999 cap? I used to roll with that money in the older games. Never did much post game in recent Pokemon games so I never got to those kind of numbers anymore.

You can get both bicycles (as well as registering more than one if you didn't already know of this) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQOQbJ_txnM

Although it requires clearing Episode Delta since you need to get to the battle resort for the last part of the unlocking.

Tyranatar tube is pretty great with these instructional videos. But I hate the way he says 'the' for some reason :p

Luckiest day ever. I think I got it at the 5th try. lol Also, BOLD and the IVs aren't that bad. :D

Congrats :D

Corgi

Banned
theres tons of ways to address HMs... I can't imagine anyone thought of them fondly in terms of nostalgia.

Just have pokemon of the right type have the HM properties by default (big/ground dudes can strength, water dudes can surf/waterpool/waterfall. flying dudes can fly), and you can't activate them until you got the right gym badge.

even if the idea was to make it feel like you are relying on pokemon to explore the world, it never felt like that due to limitations. Now that everything is 3d models, there is little reason why you don't see your pokemon appear on screen to push the block, fly, surf etc.

Macka

Any chance anyone can help me finish off my National Dex? I'm looking for:

1. Dusclops
2. Roserade
3. Rampardos
4. Glameow
5. Bonsly
6. Dewott
7. Samurott
8. Blitzle
9. Seismitoad
10. Sewaddle
11. Leavanny
12. Whirlipede
13. Crustle
14. Archeops
15. Vanillite
16. Vanilluxe
17. Escavalier
18. Ferrothorn
19. Klinklang
20. Chandelure
21. Haxorus
22. Cryogonal
23. Volcarona
24. Aromatisse
25. Tyrantrum
26. Aurorus
27. Sylveon

Stuart444

Didn't know there was a new update (v1.2). Just accidentally opened the eshop and then went I exited and tried to open up the game, it mentioned it.

Downloading now anyway.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
theres tons of ways to address HMs... I can't imagine anyone thought of them fondly in terms of nostalgia.

Just have pokemon of the right type have the HM properties by default (big/ground dudes can strength, water dudes can surf/waterpool/waterfall. flying dudes can fly), and you can't activate them until you got the right gym badge.

even if the idea was to make it feel like you are relying on pokemon to explore the world, it never felt like that due to limitations. Now that everything is 3d models, there is little reason why you don't see your pokemon appear on screen to push the block, fly, surf etc.
That means you can't trade a single big/ground dude, water dude or flying dude on your team when they are in your party.

Panzon

Damn Im having almost no success in the meta game. In XY I had a pretty good nucleus with Clafable as the cleric/tank but this time around it seems theres alot of physical pokemon giving her a hard time. My teams have almost no synergy and im struggling to find the correct balance between sweepers, walls, etc.

Any tips? I only play doubles now so Im not sure about how much entry hazards really matter in this format this time around. In XY I had no hazard setters and had alot of success

JoeM86

To be fair, they really cut back on the use of HMs. We just have it more in this game because it's a remake of the old game.

MicH

OH MY GOD

I just randomly hatched a shiny Bagon! This luck, it's too much!! Time to check it out!

EDIT x/31/31/31/31/31

Oh wow this is awesome. I was hoping to breed two 6 IV Naive Bagon as megas. I'll definitely use this and I already got one 6 IV one

OH MY GOD

I just randomly hatched a shiny Bagon! This luck, it's too much!! Time to check it out!

Congratulations! I thought about having my old Salamence and a Ditto together to make some shinies, but he has almost perfect IVs and has been with me since the dawn of time, so trading him for a shiny one would be trading my 45 old wife for a 20 year old Playboy centerfold.

Linius

Damn, that's awesome.

I've been meaning to ask this, are there ways like chain fishing to influence your chances on shiny's with breeding or catching mons in tall grass?

Damn, that's awesome.

I've been meaning to ask this, are there ways like chain fishing to influence your chances on shiny's with breeding or catching mons in tall grass?

Shiny Charm and DexNav chaining. For the first you need to have a complete dex (except for a couple of pokemons that I cannot remember, but you can find that easily). The second one you can find on youtube.

MicH

Thanks a lot guys! This is pretty damn exciting :D I wonder if I'm going to have another shiny streak. A few weeks ago I had one in XY. First I randomly bred a shiny Treecko, then like two days later I bred a shiny Electrike.. and on the VERY same day I ran into a wild shiny Vanillite AND a shiny Loudred O_O That was insane

Anyway, here is his stats:

Bagon - #371 (Naive)
HP: 6 - 7
Att: 31
Def: 31
SpA: 31
SpD: 31
Speed: 31

The HP is bad, but everything else is amazing! I can't wait to get my very own shiny MEGA SALAMENCE!

Damn, that's awesome.

There is. If you complete the national dex (all Pokémon except the event legendaries) you get the shiny charm which increases your odds of running into a shiny by 300%! I have this so it definitely helped me get this Bagon and my shiny Latias.

Secondly, there's something called the "Masuda method" when breeding. If you breed two Pokemon which come from different language games (for example, and English Bagon and a Japanese Ditto which I was doing) the odds of breeding a shiny increases. I can't remember by how much, but you can read more on Serebii or Bulbapedia

Korosenai

Now I remember why I never iv bred and ev trained a Togekiss.... It just has so many options that I don't know what to do with it -.-

Same with Rotom-W.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Why is there a Battle Girl with a Meditite in Wattson's Gym?

It's actually in the original though...and also the Youngster used a Zigzagoon, while ORAS gave him an Electrike.

Even weirder, Emerald kept the Battle Girl and gave her another Meditite, added a Bug Maniac with Volbeat and Illumise (I guess that sort of make sense, even if they aren't Electric), and gave the Youngster a Gulpin...

Why is there a Battle Girl with a Meditite in Wattson's Gym?

Cause that Meditite has Thunder Punch, which is a Move Tutor move on a trainer lol.

Stuck at 997 flags until the next BuzzNav update. So close yet so far.

At least I know when I'll be done now, but still...

I'm just under 600, been having a few refreshes with only green flag trainers with 0 flags...with completely empty bases and they say they've just beaten flannery or some other gym leader.

Coolest thing I seen so far is that you can fight surfing Ace Trainers. DIVERSITY IN THE WATER!

Sea Mauville also seems like the most unsafe tourist destination ever too.

I'm just under 600, been having a few refreshes with only green flag trainers with 0 flags...with completely empty bases and they say they've just beaten flannery or some other gym leader.
I started strong with two silvers and a bronze, but the highest I got from that was 16.

Then I talked to 5 green flags and got 1 flag total from that.

Well played game, well played.

I think I might have activated Homepass, I'll see in a couple of minutes if it worked. Apparently it did, but no Streetpasses yet.

All this work for a pokemon that I already have shiny and with good IVs, sigh, why the hell am I doing this.

MicH

I think I might have activated Homepass, I'll see in a couple of minutes if it worked. Apparently it did, but no Streetpasses yet.

All this work for a pokemon that I already have shiny and with good IVs, sigh, why the hell am I doing this.
But you can get more secret bases and mirage spots too!

Make sure to check that your MAC address is actually changing though.

I got through all the steps of activating Homepass until I found out my laptop's wi-fi card wasn't actually changing the MAC address and just reverting back to the one it uses. Which basically wasted my afternoon ~_~

Azuran

Banned
Got bored and replaced my Sharpedo with a Adaptability Crawdaunt. All I can say is that my body was not ready for this much greatness.

But you can get more secret bases and mirage spots too!

Yeah, there's that too...

Make sure to check that your MAC address is actually changing though.

I got through all the steps of activating Homepass until I found out my laptop's wi-fi card wasn't actually changing the MAC address and just reverting back to the one it uses. Which basically wasted my afternoon ~_~

Thanks, I think it is changing, I'm finding strange that I passed a couple of MAC addresses already and not a single SP.

DaBoss

Using this method that was talked about yesterday, I got from 90 flags to 336 flags this morning:
1. Go to Secret Bases 5 at a time
2. Collect the flag there and add them as a Secret Pal, regardless of what their flag color is.
3. Go back to your base and talk to them. They may or may not give flags and the amount will vary.
4. Ask them to do a Special Talent thing. Make sure you talked to Aarune after getting 30, 100, 500, and 1000 flags. You will be able to choose from more than one Special Talent, and some of them are pretty nice. The best one is they can give you evolution stones and Everstones by choosing the "Pick up stones" option.
5. Say good-bye to them so that you have more room for Secret Pals. Then go to your PC and delete their Secret Base.

There seems to be a bug with it and you have to make sure it isn't the last game you enabled StreetPass. If that doesn't work, try deactivating StreetPass for the Mii StreetPass Plaza.

Assuming you mean no StreetPass for ORAS itself.

Top Bottom