• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, is that Ghost Girl in Phoebe's room real, or a hoax?

I ask because when I read the Kotaku story, it sounded like it had only happened for the Youtube dude, and the Kotaku writer mentioned how it didn't happen for them.

Bleeether

So, i think i'm gonna tackle catching all the pokemon.

Any tips on where to start or how to make life easier doing it?

I only own Pokemon Y and Alpha Sapphire.

Thank in advance the the tips!

I ask because when I read the Kotaku story, it sounded like it had only happened for the Youtube dude, and the Kotaku writer mentioned how it didn't happen for them.

It's legit, found it while looking at some other youtube lets plays. Had to keep pausing to get the right frames but the kid is definitely in the chair. I can screenshot each different youtuber lets play if people really want evidence.

Rafavert

EXP Share is your friend, obviously =p many evolution items can be bought at the Battle Maisons. The GTS can be somewhat useful, sometimes, too. At least it was for me.

I didn't look into that, but it wouldn't be the first time Gamefreak included some creepy ghost thing in a game. Stuff like the girl at Rotom's mansion or the "You're not the one" girl in Castelia.

one_kill

Find out what you can catch in what versions, and what you can't
Make reasonable trades in GTS (Pokemon with perfect IVs, egg moves, etc.)
Do Wonder Trade
Sign up to the PGL and play mini games that offer you the chance to get items needed for evolution
Ask PokeGAF for help

Azuran

Banned

Start with the regional dexes. It makes things a lot more manageable at first and you get rewarded in some way before tackling the big one.

Wichu

You can get 90% of everything just between those two games.

Stuff you can't get and will need to trade for:

X/OR exclusives (some of these are available via Friend Safari or in the other of Y/AS; for example, Clauncher is exclusive to X, but can be caught in AS so you're fine)
Pokémon you can only choose one of per save file (e.g. Hoenn starters, legendary birds) - you can get these with multiple playthroughs, but might as well just trade for them
Event-only Pokémon (e.g. Mew)

You might also have trouble with the Friend Safari exclusives - the Pokémon you find there depend on the friends you have registered on your 3DS, so it will take some selective friend requests to get all of them.

As you're trying to fill the Pokédex on both games, it might be worth building a living dex while you're at it. It takes a lot longer as you can't use your rare Pokémon as trade fodder any more, but combined with Pokémon Bank you'll never have to worry about filling your Pokédex again.

Even if you don't go for a living dex, it's a good idea to make sure you still have a Pokémon in each evolutionary line (breed with Ditto) just in case.

Anyway, I think first of all focus on your regional dexes - they should be reasonably simple as you don't need to mess around with the Friend Safari.

Watch Da Birdie

How hard are Contests this time around? You know, to win Master Rank?

Really wanna get a group of Pokemon together to win them, but I don't know how well I'll need to prepare.

Bleeether

EXP Share is your friend, obviously =p many evolution items can be bought at the Battle Maisons. The GTS can be somewhat useful, sometimes, too. At least it was for me.

I didn't look into that, but it wouldn't be the first time Gamefreak included some creepy ghost thing in a game. Stuff like the girl at Rotom's mansion or the "You're not the one" girl in Castelia.

Find out what you can catch in what versions, and what you can't
Make reasonable trades in GTS (Pokemon with perfect IVs, egg moves, etc.)
Do Wonder Trade
Sign up to the PGL and play mini games that offer you the chance to get items needed for evolution
Ask PokeGAF for help

Start with the regional dexes. It makes things a lot more manageable at first and you get rewarded in some way before tackling the big one.

You can get 90% of everything just between those two games.

Stuff you can't get and will need to trade for:

X/OR exclusives (some of these are available via Friend Safari or in the other of Y/AS; for example, Clauncher is exclusive to X, but can be caught in AS so you're fine)
Pokémon you can only choose one of per save file (e.g. Hoenn starters, legendary birds) - you can get these with multiple playthroughs, but might as well just trade for them
Event-only Pokémon (e.g. Mew)

You might also have trouble with the Friend Safari exclusives - the Pokémon you find there depend on the friends you have registered on your 3DS, so it will take some selective friend requests to get all of them.

As you're trying to fill the Pokédex on both games, it might be worth building a living dex while you're at it. It takes a lot longer as you can't use your rare Pokémon as trade fodder any more, but combined with Pokémon Bank you'll never have to worry about filling your Pokédex again.

Even if you don't go for a living dex, it's a good idea to make sure you still have a Pokémon in each evolutionary line (breed with Ditto) just in case.

Anyway, I think first of all focus on your regional dexes - they should be reasonably simple as you don't need to mess around with the Friend Safari.

Thanks you all for the tips.

Do i actually need every Pokemon in possesion, or is is enough just having caught the pokemon at least once ?

How hard are Contests this time around? You know, to win Master Rank?

Really wanna get a group of Pokemon together to win them, but I don't know how well I'll need to prepare.

Well, half the match is already maxing out on pokeblocks. As long as you maxed out the stat for that contest then you'll win the introduction round.

The Talent rounds entirely depends on what moves you got, what moves the other pokemon got, and the 5 stars to be able to get the most hearts.

edit: Technically, you can literally win master rank contests with just 2 moves, both being the same type as the contest.

Watch Da Birdie

Hmm, so really, as long as a Pokemon has like two decent moves for that Contest, you can win with some luck, right?

Technically, you can literally win master rank contests with just 2 moves, both being the same type as the contest.
You actually just need two moves that the crowd doesn't hate. This is necessary to take advantage of in certain cases. For example, Cresselia's only Tough move this gen is Giga Impact, but if you use the cool moves Psycho Cut and Slash you'll still be able to win if you maxed out your Cool stat.

Linius

Ucjb.jpg

Managed to evolve him at last. His defense was so bad as Carvanha that I got KO'd a lot, but as Sharpedo he's finally surviving super effective hits and beasting his opponents in attack. What a shark.

MicH

I mastered all 5 contests with my shiny Gardevoir. I just maxed every contest stat with pokeblocks and it is almost hard to lose. Just used the moveset she had already too

EDIT Oh my god, congrats BPB :D That's an awesome shiny!

That's a legendary I guess? Looks awesome :D

So many shiny's in this thread.

Everyone wants shiny legendaries.

Crazy thing is that in terms of rarity, shiny legendaries are probably more common since everyone tries to SR them. A shiny dunsparce is probably rarer than the majority of shiny legends.

It's a shame that Shiny Milotic has basically no value now :( I'm enjoying using mine on my team though!

In terms of actual trade value. Any shiny is equal to any non-shiny legendary, including event mons. Any shiny is valuable. Many people will trade a legendary for a shiny.

Azuran

Banned
Sometimes I undervalue how valuable a shiny actually is. Last month, I manage to hatch a shiny Charmander but thought he was worthless to everyone since his stats are pretty meh.

Sometimes I undervalue how valuable a shiny actually is. Last month, I manage to hatch a shiny Charmander but thought he was worthless to everyone since his stats are pretty meh.

People would take it just cause it's shiny, even if it's a full 0IV pokemon

lupinko

I've lost count on the Latias SR, but I haven't been counting since I've been multitasking, maybe 6-8 a session? Not going anywhere till I get my timid shiny Latias.

Hatchtag

Banned
As much as I love Unova and its Pokemon, god damn are they the worst part of completing a national dex (next to Johto and Sinnoh's annoying evolution methods). They all evolve at such a high level compared to the rest of the dex.

Prisoner

I mean, of course I'll catch a shiny if I find one, but only because they are so rare.

Not all of them look better than their non-shiny counterparts anyway.

As much as I love Unova and its Pokemon, god damn are they the worst part of completing a national dex (next to Johto and Sinnoh's annoying evolution methods). They all evolve at such a high level compared to the rest of the dex.

Agreed. Luckily I have most of that group done.
I always seem to lag behind with collecting the Pokemon that need to be traded to evolve as well, particularly those that need hold items to do so.

There's nothing past 1K flags, right? Hoping that after I get those last 3 flags in a couple hours I'm done farming them.

Not as far as I know. I've seen no talk to the contrary. I'm sitting at about 250 at the moment. ~2 days effort. This is stupidly fast with the buzznav.

Alright, useful Trainer Rematches time! These do not apply until you beat up Steven BTW.

Money:
Route 121: Gentleman Walter (10K)
Meteor Falls (Back Room): Old Couple John & Jay (9,280)
Route 104: Rich Boy Winston, Lady Cindy (5.6-ishK each)

Stones: (All have a 5% chance)
Water Stone: Route 106, Fisherman Elliot
Dawn Stone: Sea Mauville (Room 1), Scall & Ion
Moon Stone: Jagged Pass, Expert Shelby
Fire Stone: Route 114, Kindler Bernie
Sun Stone: Route 115, Expert Timothy
Leaf Stone: Route 118, Aroma Lady Rose
Thunder Stone: Route 118, Guitarist Dalton
Dusk Stone: Mt. Pyre(1F), Hex Maniac Valerie
Shiny Stone: Mt. Pyre(2F), Fairy Tale Girl Momo

Pokemon Raising:
PP Up (10%): Route 108, Ace Trainer Neville; Route 109, Ace Trainer Portia; Route 111 (North), Ace Trainer Brooke; Route 111 (North), Ace Trainer Wilton
PP Max (5%): Meteor Falls (Back Room), Old Couple John & Jay; Victory Road (B1F), Ace Duo Jude and Rory; Route 119, Brains & Brawn Jael & Kael
Ability Capsule (1%): Battle Resort, Wally

You can either SR for these or beat people up over and over. If you were wondering how to get those stones without Super Training, there you go. Have fun...

I am currently at Groudon. My goal is to catch him in a luxury (ftw) ball. Stupid rest. Lol

Remember to get a good nature and IVs
lol
Caught Rayquaza with a pokeball. Took ~20 balls and a max revive, but I got 'im.
...And finished Delta Episode. Pretty cool, even if it's full of plot holes.

MicH

I just went from 150 flags to 300 doing the trick posted earlier (invite five secret oaks, get flags if they have any, delete base). 200 more for gold!

Top Bottom