• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

I don't think you need to worry too much about Fire weakness. Gliscor checks threats like Terrakion and Landorus-T and other sand offense mons that could otherwise give this team trouble.

What're you using Starmie for, out of curiosity? Rapid spin?

EDIT: Lmao that sounds like a Sunshine track

Undecided, I don't think I'll need spinning but at the same time Salamence/Blaziken might have issues if I don't. I haven't tested out the team at all so it's all theorymon right now, at this point Starmie is just a revenge killer, but I might need a different Pokemon if I'm not going to be spinning anyway.

I wish there was a way to transfer BP between games. I have enough on my X copy to but 3 ability capsules.

Atlease flareon got flare blitz finally :p
I still makes me laugh how GF only just recently decided to give it Flare Blitz. For 5 gens running Flareon has not had one decent physical STAB to take advantage of that massive attack stat. Come gen 4 GF ignores it yet again. How could it not have been number 1 on the priority list to learn Flare Blitz?

wiibomb

I wish there was a way to transfer BP between games. I have enough on my X copy to but 3 ability capsules.

I still makes me laugh how GF only just recently decided to give it Flare Blitz. For 5 gens running Flareon has not had one decent physical STAB to take advantage of that massive attack stat. Come gen 4 GF ignores it yet again. How could it not have been number 1 on the priority list to learn Flare Blitz?

why not buy them on X and transfer them with help of someone?

The Regis have been fun so far. Not having to worry about Speed IVs is liberation. I also have to wonder if Synchronise works at certain times of day or something as nearly all my Regice sync'd while my Regirock only syncd once but this is fine:
#377 Regirock [Impish]
IVs: 20, 21, 22 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 15, 16, 17
I suppose Assault Vest Regirock can be a thing using drain punch to heal
We totally need a Mega Regirock that is Rock/Fighting...It will probably be some sort of mega Diancie glass canon style thing like that stupid Smogon meta

Linius

I'm wondering, why do you guys care so much about IV's and natures for legendaries? I've always been told people don't use them in competitive play anyways right?

I'm wondering, why do you guys care so much about IV's and natures for legendaries? I've always been told people don't use them in competitive play anyways right?

Against friends and in certain modes of online you can use them, IIRC.

I have no friends that still play though, so I'm out of luck.

MicH

Most legendary Pokemon are in the Uber tier (according to Smogon) and it can be pretty fun to play Ubers. Most of the Trio legendaries are spread around lower tiers though

JoeM86

It's highly likely that several "low-tier" legends* (Cresselia, Thundurus, Heatran" etc.) will be usable in the VGC format next year

* low-tier in terms of legend status, not Pokémon battle tiers

Linius

Oh yeah, of course. Uber vs. uber pokemon could be a fun thing of course. Have to give to y'all, SR'ing for every legendary in the game takes serious patience.

one_kill

There are a lot of legendaries in ubers and quite a number in OU. Legendaries are fun to use competitively because of the uniqueness they bring to the game. You can also use some legendaries in Battle Maison. Lastly, I think people simply like having Pokemon that have good potential.

DaBoss

I got to 1000+ flags earlier this morning. Two special talents everyday is nice. I'm gonna make my base a Blissey base and will have it set to Rotation Battles cause the EXP gain is good in that format and you don't need to teach protect to the other two Pokemon like in Triple Battles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI_K_dLWVtU
I just saw this and kind of wonder, since it's an R/S theme made to sound more like the 5th gen games than the 6th gen ones...think its possible this was considered for 5th gen instead?
Holy shit, that sounds terrible.
The Regis have been fun so far. Not having to worry about Speed IVs is liberation. I also have to wonder if Synchronise works at certain times of day or something as nearly all my Regice sync'd while my Regirock only syncd once but this is fine:
#377 Regirock [Impish]
IVs: 20, 21, 22 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 15, 16, 17
I suppose Assault Vest Regirock can be a thing using drain punch to heal
We totally need a Mega Regirock that is Rock/Fighting...It will probably be some sort of mega Diancie glass canon style thing like that stupid Smogon meta
I'm not even sure what to go for with the 3 Regis in terms of nature. I'm thinking of negative speed and just go for Trick Room stuff.
In Rating Battles and official VGC rules (they haven't been revealed for ORAS yet), some legendaries are allowed. Any legendaries not listed here are allowed. Also, the item Soul Dew is banned. Not sure about Lati@site.

Smogon on the other hand is a community run site that has its own set of rules and people can use any Pokemon but limited to the type of tier you are playing in.

It's highly likely that several "low-tier" legends* (Cresselia, Thundurus, Heatran" etc.) will be usable in the VGC format next year

* low-tier in terms of legend status, not Pokémon battle tiers

Don't say that, Joe. Please don't say that. Please let VGC be hoenn dex...

Actually, it did. Things change. Just because Metagross is a pseudo and was strong once upon a time, doesn't mean it still is. It was struggling even in B/W, and the new Dark/Ghost weaknesses hurt it even more.
And? All the pokemon I listed have been struggling since they've been introduced. Metagross and Salamance are still very good pokemon and they both didn't beed megas or to go from 600 to 700

I'm finally battling Steven and I feel like an idiot. I only just realised, over a week after getting in it my team, that I never gave my Aggron a nickname. How has it taken me so long to notice?!

Edit: (not verified myself) You know how you can't normally trade Pokemon in your party who have HM moves. Apparently you can trade Pokémon with dive. Now can anyone work how how to trap themselves doing this? (maybe the cave where you unseal the Regi I don't remember if you can get random encounters if that area while underwater).

I no longer get a trill from just capturing the legendary but rather having one that is decently usable and won't be let down by a subpar nature (especially as it gives you 3 perfect IVs). When it comes to ubers I'm more willing to accept crap as I play Maison and Battle Spot where they can't be used. As it probably stands the natures will be good but not the best (I might have gone fast when offensive made more sense etc).

I'm not even sure what to go for with the 3 Regis in terms of nature. I'm thinking of negative speed and just go for Trick Room stuff.
I just went defensive (I kind of want to bring the legendary hunt to a close so I can do playthrough #2...well more like waiting 2 weeks for crescent island to show up). Probably negative speed natures would have been better here for future trick room opportunities but 50 base speed isn't doing much either way. I suppose if I want to go offensive I need something soften up opponents.

Macka

And? All the pokemon I listed have been struggling since they've been introduced. Metagross and Salamance are still very good pokemon and they both didn't beed megas or to go from 600 to 700
BST means nothing. Scizor is one of the best Pokemon in the game with a BST of 500. Not trying to argue who is more deserving here - I'd love to get Mega Evolutions for those that you mentioned, but there's nothing wrong with Metagross, a Pokemon that definitely needed a boost, being given one.

I love legendaries though, they're so bulky and versatile and stuff and can help deal with the best megas (which are better than the best legal legends IMO).

I don't mind many of them. It's really just Cresselia and the Gen 5 trios in particular that bother me. Lake trio, Regis, Birds, Dogs, even Lati@s w/out souldew don't bother me so much. Also they're a pain in the ass to get since you have to SR.

JoeM86

JOE PLEASE. I need this. Even if it's an illusion. Just let me believe in a world without Cresselia or Djinns.

What I'm hoping for is that they've added a new algorithm that'll run for these.

We know it exists as they've done it for other legends. Basically, it limits the amount of them you can have in your team, so you can never have more than say 2 of these Pokémon in your Battle Box.

A fool's dream, really. It'll be a shame seeing so many similar teams next year. More similar than this year which is hilarious considering the pool of Pokémon is almost 300 larger.

After B2W2, the teams I faced were almost all the same. So predictable. Megas will have changed that somewhat, but even then most can't stand up to them. Cresselia is ridiculously bulky and good as Support. Helping Hand on that, teamed with a powerful beast like Landorus...oish.

What I'm hoping for is that they've added a new algorithm that'll run for these.

We know it exists as they've done it for other legends. Basically, it limits the amount of them you can have in your team, so you can never have more than say 2 of these Pokémon in your Battle Box.

A fool's dream, really. It'll be a shame seeing so many similar teams next year. More similar than this year which is hilarious considering the pool of Pokémon is almost 300 larger.

yeah, it certainly looks like Cresselia/Djinns/Garchomp/Mawile/Salamence will be everywhere still. Guess gardevoir and Azumarill probably as well. I actually think a Hoenn dex VGC would be really interesting. The format last year excluded enough key top tier pokes that allowed for stuff like Pachi to be successful, so I'd imagine an even smaller pool would mean more forced creativity. Guess we'll see.

Hatchtag

Banned

After B2W2, the teams I faced were almost all the same. So predictable. Megas will have changed that somewhat, but even then most can't stand up to them. Cresselia is ridiculously bulky and good as Support. Helping Hand on that, teamed with a powerful beast like Landorus...oish.

They should just finally allow mythicals. I'd love if there was a more constant rotation of mythicals available through mystery gift (I mean there's 12 revealed now, plus Phione and 2 to be revealed) and they started allowing them in VGC play. Zoroark + Meloetta is too fun to be illegal.

JoeM86

yeah, it certainly looks like Cresselia/Djinns/Garchomp/Mawile/Salamence will be everywhere still. Guess gardevoir and Azumarill probably as well. I actually think a Hoenn dex VGC would be really interesting. The format last year excluded enough key top tier pokes that allowed for stuff like Pachi to be successful, so I'd imagine an even smaller pool would mean more forced creativity. Guess we'll see.

Well I personally hope not. I've got a team on the development slab featuring Furfrou

Well I personally hope not. I've got a team on the development slab featuring Furfrou

They'll make an exception. lol.
They should just finally allow mythicals. I'd love if there was a more constant rotation of mythicals available through mystery gift (I mean there's 12 revealed now, plus Phione and 2 to be revealed) and they started allowing them in VGC play. Zoroark + Meloetta is too fun to be illegal.

if they do this, they need to make mythicals readily available. there shuoldn't be a barrier to entry, and mythicals are too uncommon to be readily available to everyone.

It wasn't like this before so I have no idea why they changed it
It seems like real estate in the bag menu. There were only space for 5 pockets to allow the format that had in mind. I'd have personally used more rows to allow more pockets as it is annoying to have the repels in an even worse place than the Pokeballs (at lease those are at the bottom).

Its gets even madder when finally get into battle and Pokeballs is its own category there.

Macka

I wish we could still deposit items in the PC. I don't want to scroll through all of this useless shit I either rarely/never use. Would be amazing to deposit all the Arceus plates and mega stones until I actually needed them.

ffdgh

I wish we could still deposit items in the PC. I don't want to scroll through all of this useless shit I either rarely/never use. Would be amazing to deposit all the Arceus plates and mega stones until I actually needed them.

I really miss that bonus pouch from BW/2. It was so convient throwing all my most used items into it. :(

Got me a Dawn Stone. Probably gonna put Gardevoir in my Battle Box and get my adamant Ralts back out for some leveling. Just need to teach her Moonblast first.

Also should try getting my hands on an Adamant Groudon. I think the one I have in X is Hasty or something like that.

WarAdept

Holy shit I just got Sharpedo. Goddamn it's a missle while surfing. Does it's preevo (Carniv-something or other) have the same speed?

It seems like real estate in the bag menu. There were only space for 5 pockets to allow the format that had in mind. I'd have personally used more rows to allow more pockets as it is annoying to have the repels in an even worse place than the Pokeballs (at lease those are at the bottom).

Its gets even madder when finally get into battle and Pokeballs is its own category there.
Yeah, having a disorganized bag drives me insane. I can't STAND having my Pokeballs together with the Repels and Nuggets and Charcoal. I wish they'd also trim down on the TMs; it just feels like a bunch of them aren't necessary.

Hatchtag

Banned
They'll make an exception. lol.

if they do this, they need to make mythicals readily available. there shuoldn't be a barrier to entry, and mythicals are too uncommon to be readily available to everyone.

They're at a point where they can do a monthly rotation. Right now there's some mythicals that haven't been legitimately obtainable in years. But if they did a monthly rotation on them, that'd keep them rare enough to still be mythical but readily available enough to still be tourney legal.

Macka

I've been soft-resetting pretty much ever since I got home. About 12 hours? Shiny Raikou still evades me. I should sleep.

lupinko

I've been soft-resetting pretty much ever since I got home. About 12 hours? Shiny Raikou still evades me. I should sleep.

Oh man I was pretty happy to get mine, only to later remember it had garbage stats (LG).

Oh well at least the HP isn't garbage, and I gave it body slam for its rash nature!

Still SRing Latias in eshop Jp-AS, I redeemed my second set of pokescrap Victini, Shaymin and Keldeo on my cart Jp-AS. I'm going to start that and my eshop NA-OR playthroughs soon.

I'm waiting for my LL back from Nintendo repairs.

So much ORAS.

Oh man I was pretty happy to get mine, only to later remember it had garbage stats (LG).

Oh well at least the HP isn't garbage, and I gave it body slam for its rash nature!

Still SRing Latias in eshop Jp-AS, I redeemed my second set of pokescrap Victini, Shaymin and Keldeo on my cart Jp-AS. I'm going to start that and my eshop NA-OR playthroughs soon.

I'm waiting for my LL back from Nintendo repairs.

So much ORAS.

If you're online, I still got those pokémon in X waiting for you.

Yeah I don't think we'll even get DLC Battle Frontier
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142275631&postcount=7325

...Ugh. :/ That's awful. Now I understand the comments that we'll never have a meta game as good ever again.

Doesn't do Battle Frontier because it's too hard.

Makes Scanner and Plates invisible items in places where you can't use the Dowsing Machine.

GAMEFREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKK

Well that's 'cause dowsing machine stuff isn't challenging, it's tedious and time consuming :v

Top Bottom