• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

So I streetpassed a lot of people with alpha saphire today. Mii plaza asked something about pokemon but I was pressing the A button like a madman like I always do. Is my chance of receiving an EON ticket now zero for today? :p

Bleeether

Good morning Pokegaf.

Can anyone hook me up with a Zapdos and an Articuno.

These are the last Pokemon i need to finish up my Kalos Pokedex, then i can move on to ORAS finally!

They can be cloned, doesn't make a difference to me.

MicH

So I streetpassed a lot of people with alpha saphire today. Mii plaza asked something about pokemon but I was pressing the A button like a madman like I always do. Is my chance of receiving an EON ticket now zero for today? :p
Most likely was something like "You StreetPassed x people playing Alpha Sapphire today. Would you like to learn more?" If you got the Eon ticket it will tell you through the BuzzNav ingame

Macka

Rather than just another Gen I remake, I'd love a new game that starts in Kanto and has you progress to Johto after defeating the Elite Four, with a brand new storyline. Be amazing to have the first three regions in 3D! This is probably far too much to expect though.

In other news, still no Shiny Raikou. Must be past 4000 resets at this point.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Impossible question:

I'm a 31 year old man who has never played through a mainline Pokemon game; where should I start? To be more specific, would I be better off with OR/AS or X/Y?
My reccomendation is Pokemon ORAS

Impala26

Good morning Pokegaf.

Can anyone hook me up with a Zapdos and an Articuno.

These are the last Pokemon i need to finish up my Kalos Pokedex, then i can move on to ORAS finally!

They can be cloned, doesn't make a difference to me.

I've asked before, but can this still be done or was this patched out of X&Y? Or for that matter can it be done with ANY TWO Gen VI titles?

Impossible question:

I'm a 31 year old man who has never played through a mainline Pokemon game; where should I start? To be more specific, would I be better off with OR/AS or X/Y?

Like everyone else was saying, gotta go with OR/AS. Personally, I think it has the better region, better characters and better story. The abundance of water and lack of character customization (aside from male/female) are pretty much the only drawbacks I can think of with OR/AS compared to X&Y.

DaBoss

Someone asked about how to transfer PokeMiles between ORAS and XY. This is how: http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/26ac1dc8-4974-40ab-881f-cc9fd01caa11
The "Transfer Poké Miles to another game" button will appear only if you have at least two games registered to your PGL account. To transfer Poké Miles from one game to another, head over to the PokéMileage Club section of your Profile page and click on the "Transfer Poké Miles to another game" button.
----------------------------------
I'm pretty much done with the game (1 Mirage Cave TM left, Snarl) and can start breeding now, but I'm not even sure what I want to do lol.

Firestorm

You check for the Eon Ticket by clicking the mailbox icon in the BuzzNav. Remember that you need to enable StreetPass for your game by clicking the folder icon on BuzzNav first. The mailbox will replace the icon after that when you get a StreetPass or even SpotPass I believe.

So I saw shiny Mega Sableye and I will not stop until I have one.

Last time I MMed it was 1200+ for a Carbink and I gave up. This time I'm getting the shiny charm just to help out.

Bleeether

I've asked before, but can this still be done or was this patched out of X&Y? Or for that matter can it be done with ANY TWO Gen VI titles?

I'm actually not sure about that. I thought it was still possible seeing how people seem to keep producing cloned pokemon, but i dont know for sure

I'm actually not sure about that. I thought it was still possible seeing how people seem to keep producing cloned pokemon, but i dont know for sure
Most people use powersaves for cloning these days (you can even do things like make a whole box of clones, like all things powersaves comes with the risk of bricking your cart though). Apparently version 1.3 of XY messed with the timing for cloning. This isn't Smash Bros so the game doesn't care if you delete patches...well until you try to go online. No idea if a v1.0 XY can clone with any ORAS or not.

Bleeether

Most people use powersaves for cloning these days (you can even do things like make a whole box of clones, like all things powersaves comes with the risk of bricking your cart though). Apparently version 1.3 of XY messed with the timing for cloning. This isn't Smash Bros so the game doesn't care if you delete patches...well until you try to go online. No idea if a v1.0 XY can clone with any ORAS or not.

Just did a google on Powersave... Now i have to buy one >.<

I don't know that cloning will ever be stopped for pokemon. What are we, 15 years and counting. I'm sure people will resort to using Nikola Tesla's technology if it means hacking pokemon.

And I totally wish that wasn't the case but eh... at least they made breeding really really good now.

And as to starting with Pokemon X/Y or ORAS?...
My reccomendation is this: XY had the benefit of being the latest in the series, so they made everything so comfortable. For instance, they designed the road of the daycare so that you could ride your bike for miles in the same direction, whitch helps you with the meta, which would be hatching eggs. This also simplified things and overall, it's a more straightforward experience, but very fleshed out and is probably th best game for pros.

ORAS, on the other hand, is a remake of a somewhat older-school JRPG, so it has more of a journey type thing going on, a better story/quest, is definitely a classic and superbly balanced pokemon game. It also has all the improvements of XY plus DexNav, which will be remembered forever. So unless you want something more accessible, more sraightforward, and more modern, go for ORAS, overall it is the better videogame. XY is a better utility for hardcore players, and you must own both right now if you want to play in the hardcore scene. And remember ORAS is a remake of the best pokemon game people can play on their cell phones... hah (OK so FireRed/LeadGreen are great too)

Impala26

So I saw shiny Mega Sableye and I will not stop until I have one.

Last time I MMed it was 1200+ for a Carbink and I gave up. This time I'm getting the shiny charm just to help out.

I was in the EXACT same boat with Carbink as well. I got to about 1200 and then gave up. Came back another month later with my fiancee to help and another 1200 LATER combined between us that little black gremlin finally poked out.

So yeah, ~2500 for that shiny Carbink. They come eventually but man... sometimes...

You guys who soft reset 1000+ times, I hope you can pass that pokemon onto your kids :p I remember when XY came out I SR for a week for shiny fennekin... no sir wouldnt happen

Latios

Timid

HP: 24 - 26
Att: 30 - 31
Def: 30 - 31
SpA: 31
SpD: 17 - 19
Speed: 30 - 31

Was starting some soft resets for one, but I think I already have a keeper :eek:

Yes sir. I'm not resetting for a shiny, but I want a competitive Latios (OU in smogon for X/Y, I bet you it will stay OU). Those stats are beyond acceptible, and you got the best nature, grats

DeVeAn

I'll probably never finish my living pokédex...I refuse any non legit mons. I have a pure collection dating back to Ruby. Should I give in and accept clones?

I have Kanto Johto and Hoenn complete and legit. Missed Some event Mons too.

Damn that Pokédex.

When I start going for the full dex, the only thing that will matter to me is the Shiny Charm, the rest is not important. Too many events lost, etc.

Impala26

I'll probably never finish my living pokédex...I refuse any non legit mons. I have a pure collection dating back to Ruby. Should I give in and accept clones?

Damn that Pokédex.

If you're like myself, where I took a pokemon hiatus from like 2005 to 2011, you pretty much HAVE to accept cloned/hacked mons to have any hope of completing the living dex given the event pokemon. It's frustrating, but it's a hard truth.

Alternatively, if know someone personally who has them all legit, you could "borrow" them for that completion and give them back.

Azuran

Banned
Impossible question:

I'll go the other way and recommend you start with XY. It just has a lot more features meant to ease newcomers into the game for the first time. The biggest of them all is that is has the largest regional dex in the series, so there's A LOT more Pokemon to catch during the story. It also has character customization, trainers with more variety, and arguably, a better and more in depth story.

I love ORAS and would also recommend it to anyone looking for a good game, but for a beginner, XY introduces you more to the broader world of Pokemon.

Damn that Pokédex.

Actually you might be the only pure pokedex (one of them) completers in the world. Not to mention the ones who end up with an accidental clone. Remember you can take years to complete your pokedex. I would go for a legit one, imagine the feels.

I say continue on your journey and don't do anything that might undermine it or disrespect it. If you're legit thus far, I say legit to the end. Cloned pokemon are simply lazy, the game's design is not inherently flawed, thankfully

Damn that Pokédex.

If you want to complete the livingdex completely legit it's gonna take a really long time. Especially when trying to get some other event mons, most people only have clones / generated versions of the event mons. Way easier going with legal than legit. Legal at least includes clones or legal stat generated mons. Hell, emulated transfers (Played on emulator with no hacks/cheats but managed to transfer them onto a cart) are still considered as legal but not legit.

MicH

I just don't get the "I refuse to accept clones!!" mentality. You can't even tell if a Pokemon is cloned. I don't understand why it's a problem. Hacked? If it's obviously hacked, sure, but Bank blocked the worst offenders

I'll go the other way and recommend you start with XY. It just has a lot more features meant to ease newcomers into the game for the first time. The biggest of them all is that is has the largest regional dex in the series, so there's A LOT more Pokemon to catch during the story. It also has character customization, trainers with more variety, and arguably, a better and more in depth story.

I love ORAS and would also recommend it to anyone looking for a good game, but for a beginner, XY introduces you more to the broader world of Pokemon.
I agree completely. XY are far more accessible to a beginner than ORAS.

Griss

Exactly how I feel.

ORAS has some nice improvements (the DexNav, mostly) but it has a really limited pool of early monsters which funnels you down a certain route as to what your party will be in the early game. The world is also far less organic as it's based on GBA sprites, so X/Y is far more interesting to explore. On top of that, features like Pokemon Amie and Super Training are kind of bolted on in ORAS, whereas in X/Y they are features the game encourages you to fully explore.

I also feel like the story stays out of the way in X/Y, which is a good thing because the story in pokemon is almost always terrible, which is fine as it's aimed at very little kids. Funnily enough, the Delta episode of ORAS only serves to show how bad the story of the rest of the game is by comparison.

Anyway, of the two games I prefer X/Y and of the two regions I prefer Kalos, though ORAS made me stop 'hating' Hoenn.

DeVeAn

Damn, so many years of effort. I think I am gonna have to accept clones. I'll be dead before I catch em all otherwise.

Damn, so many years of effort. I think I am gonna have to accept clones. I'll be dead before I catch em all otherwise.

If it helps, you wouldn't even know a clone unless someone tells you it's a clone. Same goes with generated but legal. For all you know you may hold clones/generated and wouldn't even know.

Exactly how I feel.

ORAS has some nice improvements (the DexNav, mostly) but it has a really limited pool of early monsters which funnels you down a certain route as to what your party will be in the early game. The world is also far less organic as it's based on GBA sprites, so X/Y is far more interesting to explore. On top of that, features like Pokemon Amie and Super Training are kind of bolted on in ORAS, whereas in X/Y they are features the game encourages you to fully explore.

I also feel like the story stays out of the way in X/Y, which is a good thing because the story in pokemon is almost always terrible, which is fine as it's aimed at very little kids. Funnily enough, the Delta episode of ORAS only serves to show how bad the story of the rest of the game is by comparison.

Anyway, of the two games I prefer X/Y and of the two regions I prefer Kalos, though ORAS made me stop 'hating' Hoenn.

You know I have to agree with all of this, except hating Hoenn. I really need to see the endgame in ORAS

If it helps, you wouldn't even know a clone unless someone tells you it's a clone. Same goes with generated but legal. For all you know you may hold clones/generated and wouldn't even know.

This is true. Unfortuantely I became a very good hacker in the D/P era, and what the game checks for is not any indicator of a malicious transfer of pokemon. It merely makes sure all stats and numeric information are valid and possible within the code. I would usually test my mons by transferring them to Pokemon Battle Revolution after creating them. So if you want to complete your pokedex, it all comes down to your own decision about cloned mons, no one will ever know, for better or worse :p

BTW: In X/Y since breeding was so much better, I finally created a legit all 31 IV mega-Gyarados (Adamant, or the Speed nature, I forgot, but he was perfect), and of course lost my cart forever a week later. Karma.... Must be payback for the perfect IV/nature Togekiss I used to wreck everyone online with on the Wii

Personally, I think XY is horrible for beginners and one of the reasons is because there are so many Pokemon to catch. It's overwhelming, and if you try to catch them all as you go through the story then beating the game will take forever. It also means that there is an insane amount of mons you have to learn the traits of just to clear the story efficiently. In this regard, I think a limited Pokemon pool of around 200 is better for less experienced players.

Also, the game's too fucking long. Both of my playthroughs were over 50 hours. For comparison, AS was about 20. And the reason XY took so long? Pacing. Horrible pacing. The game's way too drawn out. XY isn't drawn out because it has a lot of content, it's drawn out because the game's poorly designed. Several stretches of the game, including very early on between gyms 1 and 2, are just dreadful. ORAS, however, was fun for me the entire way through. It was a nice, brisk pacing.

It's also outdated, so if he likes the battle system and decides to get into battling others then he's going to have a hard time finding good opponents because they'll have moved onto ORAS. Also, the Friend Safari is useless now because nobody does safari adds anymore. The DexNav is infinitely more useful.

Speaking of battling, hatching is a hassle in XY compared to ORAS, EV Training is a pain in XY compared to ORAS, and leveling is a horror in XY compared to ORAS. Also, stuff besides battling? XY don't got any aside from some shit you'll get done in like 2 to 3 hours. ORAS, however, has contests, secret bases, and a fuckton more legendaries to catch.

Speaking of which, having all those legendaries to catch is very important. Non-legendaries are typically very easy to trade for because you can just breed more, you know? Not the case with legends because you can't just breed more legends. So in terms of completing the dex, he'll have a significantly easier time if he starts with ORAS instead of XY because the hardest part of completing the dex is legendaries. Similarly, if he decides to get into battling he'll need ORAS's legendaries.

Things like trainer customization and promo videos aren't important. They don't have a real impact on gameplay. For a newbie's first Pokemon game you want a fun, briskly paced adventure that doesn't have an overwhelming Pokemon selection and I think ORAS fits that better than XY.

MicH

You guys are crazy. Hoenn has always been the best region! The remakes just enhance that even more by letting you fly to routes. It really helps those who haye the water. One thing stops the remakes from being excellent thiugh: no Battle Frontier and no Emerald gum teams. The gym leaders are hilariously easy to beat. Game Freak should at least have upgraded their teams to the Emerald version. I mean, the 7th gum has two Pokemon for heavens sale! TWO! That's just ridiculous

DexNav makes catching Pokemon a lot of fun without being too overwhelming from the amount of Pokemon there is.

But yeah, XY's pacing is fucking awful.

This is true. Unfortuantely I became a very good hacker in the D/P era, and what the game checks for is not any indicator of a malicious transfer of pokemon. It merely makes sure all stats and numeric information are valid and possible within the code. I would usually test my mons by transferring them to Pokemon Battle Revolution after creating them. So if you want to complete your pokedex, it all comes down to your own decision about cloned mons, no one will ever know, for better or worse :p

Well, no one will know unless if you're using the same generated mons that have been going around the net for years. Like those with OT: Ash TID: 01337 lol

Griss

I finally filled the national dex in ORAS.

Just out of interest, I decided to arrange all the pokemon I had caught into a 'living dex' like I've heard some people on here talk about. I estimated I'd be about 200-250 short, as there are lots of pokemon you evolve and never recpature their first two evolutions, lots you trade away to get trade-only pokemon etc. (I think everyone has traded Magmortar for Electivire or vice versa once in their lives).

Amazingly, I was only 40 pokemon short of the whole thing! Only 33 short if you don't include the 7 eventmon I don't have. Goddamn it, I'm gonna have to do this, aren't I?

I will say, though, that having a lot of great pokemon in X/Y did kind of kill the magic of finding them again in ORAS, just one year later. I made a rule that I wouldn't bring anything over until after the Elite 4, but the sense of wonder X/Y gave you when seeing an old favourite for the first time in full 3D with animations bursting with personality - that was missing.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
ORAS has some nice improvements (the DexNav, mostly) but it has a really limited pool of early monsters which funnels you down a certain route as to what your party will be in the early game.

I feel like that until XY, RS was probably the game with the most variety of early game Pokemon though.

Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Lotad, Seedot, Taillow, Wingull, Ralts, Surskit, Shroomish, Slakoth, Abra, Nincada, and Whismur, that's a nice selection with a decent array of Types. I wish there was an alternative early-game Fire Pokemon though.

MicH

You have a point about the pacing, I'll agree with that.

But I disagree with pretty much everything else. A beginner (someone who hasn't played the series before/in a long time) won't care if it's slightly easier to breed or EV train in ORAS. If they liked what they played in XY they'll probably move on and try ORAS/another game. And in my opinion, the huge selection of Pokemon is a good thing for a beginner

Well, no one will know unless if you're using the same generated mons that have been going around the net for years. Like those with OT: Ash TID: 01337 lol

Yeah but no one in the competitive league would not use one with a unique trainer ID

, but the sense of wonder X/Y gave you when seeing an old favourite for the first time in full 3D with animations bursting with personality - that was missing.

Well I am looking forward to that sense of wonder in ORAS, because I never got close in XY. Nice

ffdgh

Speaking of battling, hatching is a hassle in XY compared to ORAS, EV Training is a pain in XY compared to ORAS, and leveling is a horror in XY compared to ORAS. Also, stuff besides battling? XY don't got any aside from some shit you'll get done in like 2 to 3 hours. ORAS, however, has contests, secret bases, and a fuckton more legendaries to catch.

Now lets be fair. XY made hatching eggs(Love ya hatching power), EV training(Love ya hordes), and IV breeding(love ya destiny knot) MUCH less of a hassle than past gens. Ofcourse there's no denying ORAS improved further on the first 2. <3

Bleeether

Thought i just filled out my Kalos Pokedex after obtaining Articuno and Zapdos... Then i notice i'm missing Weavile!

Can anyone hook a brother up!

Griss

I feel like that until XY, RS was probably the game with the most variety of early game Pokemon though.

Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Lotad, Seedot, Taillow, Wingull, Ralts, Surskit, Shroomish, Slakoth, Abra, Nincada, and Whismur, that's a nice selection with a decent array of Types. I wish there was an alternative early-game Fire Pokemon though.

It's obviously subjective, but to me that's a horrible slate of early monsters there, and there's every chance you never run into a Ralts, in which case it's doubly bad. I missed out on Ralts this time around as I don't focus on catching monsters until after the game, instead preferring to 'take what the game gives me' if you get what I'm saying. I can deal with Wurmple, Wingull and Abra, but they're still not pokemon I can get attached to really. Pelipper was my main monster this time, but I never really cared for him. Didn't care for Marshtomp either - I'm not a fan of these starters.

You have a point about the pacing, I'll agree with that.

But I disagree with pretty much everything else. A beginner (someone who hasn't played the series before/in a long time won't care if it's slightly easier to breed or EV train in ORAS. If they liked eh the they played in XY they'll probably move on and try ORAS/another game. And in my opinion, the huge selection of Pokemon is a good thing fit a beginner

Exactly. A lot of that guy's points were end-game points that are totally irrelevant for a beginner. A beginner wants the best RPG from start to finish, then if he likes the game enough to get into IV breeding and EV training etc he'll probably like it enough to buy ORAS anyway.

What are all of the complaints about X/Y's pacing, anyway? I thought it was great, as it was deliberately uneven. There were long early stretches without gyms, then you might get two close together. Made the focus on the journey as much as the gyms, which I appreciated. I also liked how each stage of the journey linked back to Lumiose. I thought it was a far better adventure than Hoenn, which is desperately dull for the first couple of hours. There's not a single interesting route or town in the game until you get to Slateport when the game starts picking up a bit.

Back in the day I thought it was bad early and bad late, but with the way they changed surfing my opinion of the water routes did a 180 and I very much enjoyed that part of the game this time around. That told me it wasn't just nostalgia speaking and that I was still able to have an open mind about the game, but I still found the early-game in Hoenn really, really dull.

Top Bottom