• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Morokh

Yes sir. I'm not resetting for a shiny, but I want a competitive Latios (OU in smogon for X/Y, I bet you it will stay OU). Those stats are beyond acceptible, and you got the best nature, grats

Wanna know the worst ..., the one I got the first time (before starting my game over) isn't that bad either now that i'm checking :
Latios - #381 (Bold)
HP: 10 - 13
Att: 31
Def: 30 - 31
SpA: 30 - 31
SpD: 24 - 26
Speed: 30 - 31

Odd nature, but hey :D

Impala26

This is true. Unfortuantely I became a very good hacker in the D/P era, and what the game checks for is not any indicator of a malicious transfer of pokemon. It merely makes sure all stats and numeric information are valid and possible within the code. I would usually test my mons by transferring them to Pokemon Battle Revolution after creating them. So if you want to complete your pokedex, it all comes down to your own decision about cloned mons, no one will ever know, for better or worse :p

BTW: In X/Y since breeding was so much better, I finally created a legit all 31 IV mega-Gyarados (Adamant, or the Speed nature, I forgot, but he was perfect), and of course lost my cart forever a week later. Karma.... Must be payback for the perfect IV/nature Togekiss I used to wreck everyone online with on the Wii

I never hacked, but I did become a regular cloner once I learned how to in X&Y. That said, any pokemon I could obtain legitimately on my own I still did, including breeding 5/6 IV pokes. The only pokes I cloned (or will consider for cloning in the future) are Legendaries I can't obtain in the versions of games I own or other nigh-unobtainable pokes like the vaunted 6IV Ditto.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The worst paced game is definitely BW, because you basically fight swarms of Trainers and Plasma members all in a row down narrow routes throughout the game.

And every Route you run into some chucklefucks who use all three monkeys....

You have a point about the pacing, I'll agree with that.

But I disagree with pretty much everything else. A beginner (someone who hasn't played the series before/in a long time won't care if it's slightly easier to breed or EV train in ORAS. If they liked eh the they played in XY they'll probably move on and try ORAS/another game. And in my opinion, the huge selection of Pokemon is a good thing fit a beginner
I've seen people give up on XY before the second gym because the pacing is just that bad. Nothing else matters then.

The main reason I think he should start with ORAS really is because of the pacing. I want him to start with a Pokemon game that he'll probably actually finish.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You guys who soft reset 1000+ times, I hope you can pass that pokemon onto your kids :p I remember when XY came out I SR for a week for shiny fennekin... no sir wouldnt happen
zyttIBa.jpg

Still can't believe I got him on my 5th reset (after trading the other starters with a fellow GAFfer, so both of us could begin our journey with all 3), on what was supposed to be my true playthrough. I wasn't even dreaming of ever getting a shiny at that point, lol

Damn, so many years of effort. I think I am gonna have to accept clones. I'll be dead before I catch em all otherwise.
Yeah, if it's true that they are the same as a legit one then nobody will know the difference. It'll be a secret between you and the trader :p

Bleeether

I've seen people give up on XY before the second gym because the pacing is just that bad. Nothing else matters then.

Really?

XY was my first pokemon game. My experience was nothing like what you describe.

I enjoyed it, and my only complaint was not being able to put more than one pokemon in gts at a time.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'll probably never finish my living pokédex...I refuse any non legit mons. I have a pure collection dating back to Ruby. Should I give in and accept clones?

I have Kanto Johto and Hoenn complete and legit. Missed Some event Mons too.

Damn that Pokédex.
That right there is what REALLY pissed me of porting from Gen IV to Gen V games for reasons beyond me Game Freak made it so that the original capture date of the Pokemon is overwritten when you up port. So yeah you know that fancy Pokemon you had since 2003? Well the game says you had since 2014 now...

And on topic of porting why they make it such a mundane task to do so? It feels like I'm being punished for up porting since it takes me more than 30 minutes to up port just 30 Pokemon from GEN III games.

Tom_Cody

Either will do. Every last one of these games is designed to be easy to pick up for newcomers.

If you're new to the series I would definitely recommend starting with X or Y

ORAS. It's the superior game by far.

My reccomendation is Pokemon ORAS

Like everyone else was saying, gotta go with OR/AS. Personally, I think it has the better region, better characters and better story. The abundance of water and lack of character customization (aside from male/female) are pretty much the only drawbacks I can think of with OR/AS compared to X&Y.

I'll go the other way and recommend you start with XY. It just has a lot more features meant to ease newcomers into the game for the first time. The biggest of them all is that is has the largest regional dex in the series, so there's A LOT more Pokemon to catch during the story. It also has character customization, trainers with more variety, and arguably, a better and more in depth story.

I love ORAS and would also recommend it to anyone looking for a good game, but for a beginner, XY introduces you more to the broader world of Pokemon.
Thanks guys! It's great to know that this community is so welcoming to newcomers.

I'm still immersed in Smash at the moment, but I will strongly keep this in mind for my next gaming commitment.

Really?

XY was my first pokemon game. My experience was nothing like what you describe.

I enjoyed it, and my only complaint was not being able to put more than one pokemon in gts at a time.
Well yeah of course you enjoyed it XY is so awesome it's the first Pokemon game I bought twice just so I could play through it again

My argument here is that ORAS is even more awesome, not that XY sucks

backlot

That right there is what REALLY pissed me of porting from Gen IV to Gen V games for reasons beyond me Game Freak made it so that the original capture date of the Pokemon is overwritten when you up port. So yeah you know that fancy Pokemon you had since 2003? Well the game says you had since 2014 now...

And on topic of porting why they make it such a mundane task to do so? It feels like I'm being punished for up porting since it takes me more than 30 minutes to up port just 30 Pokemon from GEN III games.

I don't think they were very forward thinking when they decided to make minigames for transferring Pokemon in 4th and 5th gen. Getting a Pokemon from Emerald to ORAS is incredibly tedious. Supposedly Pokemon Bank will be used for all future Pokemon titles though so hopefully it will be painless from here on out.

Azuran

Banned

The main reason I think he should start with ORAS really is because of the pacing. I want him to start with a Pokemon game that he'll probably actually finish.

I know the pacing is not the best, but for a beginner, that's a non issue. The long strectch between the first and second gym is a bit longer than usual, but you're still experiencing new stuff like reaching Lumiose for the first time or meeting Team Flare.

Well yeah of course you enjoyed it XY is so awesome it's the first Pokemon game I bought twice just so I could play through it again

My argument here is that ORAS is even more awesome, not that XY sucks

My sentiments exactly. XY is amaxing, I just can't believe we got an entire old game dropped right into it's framework. It's really good, and it's more fun if you own both

GreatestHits said:

I know the pacing is not the best, but for a beginner, that's a non issue. The long strectch between the first and second gym is a bit longer than usual, but you're still experiencing new stuff like reaching Lumiose for the first time or meeting Team Flare.
I think the main problem area is the area between Lumiose and meeting Team Flare in the cave. It's too... peaceful, I guess?

Though, the Exp. Share does help significantly with any pacing issues, I will admit that much.

MicH

And 862 resets later...My shiny cheetah makes it's glorious appearnce. Say hello to a dive ball.
Darn you and your luck!
Congrats man :D

This Reshiram refuses to shine :( I think I've spent over 10 hours on it so far (10 hours combined of SRing while doing other stuff). I'm starting to think that the shiny ones we've seen have been fakes :( :p

ffdgh

Congratulations!
Thanks!

Darn you and your luck!

This Reshiram refuses to shine :( I think I've spent over 10 hours on it so far (10 hours combined of SRing while doing other stuff). I'm starting to think that the shiny ones we've seen have been fakes :( :p

Too late to quit now. Go for the gold Reshiram! :p

Chain fishing got me a shiny Magikarp, Carvanha, and a Feebass. Good day fishing.
Congratz!

Macka

And 862 resets later...My shiny cheetah makes it's glorious appearnce. Say hello to a dive ball.
Congrats! Wish I had your luck :p

I've been working on Raikou for about 40 hours now (in chunks obviously). It's not so much the act that's annoying because it doesn't really require much effort, but bloody hell I thought I'd have it by now.

I was unaware of the fact that Blizzard has a 100% hit rate and a 30% Freeze chance when used by the opponent. Fuck you Glaceon.

It was still my fault for being way too greedy with my Dragon Dances and Curses but still, fuck.

one_kill

Darn you and your luck!

I'm taking a break from SRing for a shiny Zekrom
Guess I'll start playing Smash Wii U now lol

:(

ffdgh

Congrats! Wish I had your luck :p

I've been working on Raikou for about 40 hours now (in chunks obviously). It's not so much the act that's annoying because it doesn't really require much effort, but bloody hell I thought I'd have it by now.

About 24 hours for me...still more bearable than biking and hatching masuda eggs so far lol.

Now to go hunting for secret base flags.

Congrats! Your second shiny in just a few days, right?

Got shiny zekrom yesterday at 97 resets.

Toxi

Banned
I think the main problem area is the area between Lumiose and meeting Team Flare in the cave. It's too... peaceful, I guess?

Though, the Exp. Share does help significantly with any pacing issues, I will admit that much.
It's more that the whole section is boring and very scripted, especially everything to do with the palace.

DeVeAn

Yea, I was bummed out seeing that date...the agony of porting over mons is real.

JoeM86

Looks like we have a shiny Mega Rayquaza in our future

Serebii's Japanese event predictions:

Pre-order bonus (April 2015 - August 2015): Shiny Rayquaza
Movie Distribution (July 18th 2015 - September 30th 2015): Hoopa

Looks like we have a shiny Mega Rayquaza in our future

Serebii's Japanese event predictions:

Pre-order bonus (April 2015 - August 2015): Shiny Rayquaza
Movie Distribution (July 18th 2015 - September 30th 2015): Hoopa

Are these events likely to be available over WiFi in the West?

Kyzer

Banned
HOLY SHIT "Organize Boxes" at the top... This is the greatest game of all time... *cries*

I've been through so much waiting for this

The best way to solve this is to hook yourself to a machine that will taze you when you do not press A (
or L
) right after you open it, something like the ones they use with rats.

You can even make it look like a new Pokewalker.
(patent pending)

Personally, I think XY is horrible for beginners and one of the reasons is because there are so many Pokemon to catch. It's overwhelming, and if you try to catch them all as you go through the story then beating the game will take forever. It also means that there is an insane amount of mons you have to learn the traits of just to clear the story efficiently. In this regard, I think a limited Pokemon pool of around 200 is better for less experienced players.

Also, the game's too fucking long. Both of my playthroughs were over 50 hours. For comparison, AS was about 20. And the reason XY took so long? Pacing. Horrible pacing. The game's way too drawn out. XY isn't drawn out because it has a lot of content, it's drawn out because the game's poorly designed. Several stretches of the game, including very early on between gyms 1 and 2, are just dreadful. ORAS, however, was fun for me the entire way through. It was a nice, brisk pacing.

It's also outdated, so if he likes the battle system and decides to get into battling others then he's going to have a hard time finding good opponents because they'll have moved onto ORAS. Also, the Friend Safari is useless now because nobody does safari adds anymore. The DexNav is infinitely more useful.

Speaking of battling, hatching is a hassle in XY compared to ORAS, EV Training is a pain in XY compared to ORAS, and leveling is a horror in XY compared to ORAS. Also, stuff besides battling? XY don't got any aside from some shit you'll get done in like 2 to 3 hours. ORAS, however, has contests, secret bases, and a fuckton more legendaries to catch.

Speaking of which, having all those legendaries to catch is very important. Non-legendaries are typically very easy to trade for because you can just breed more, you know? Not the case with legends because you can't just breed more legends. So in terms of completing the dex, he'll have a significantly easier time if he starts with ORAS instead of XY because the hardest part of completing the dex is legendaries. Similarly, if he decides to get into battling he'll need ORAS's legendaries.

Things like trainer customization and promo videos aren't important. They don't have a real impact on gameplay. For a newbie's first Pokemon game you want a fun, briskly paced adventure that doesn't have an overwhelming Pokemon selection and I think ORAS fits that better than XY.
I have to vehemently disagree with all of this.

Top Bottom