• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

MicH

Yeah, that's another thing stopping the ID thing. I just feel the idea of cloning so that everyone literally has the same Pokémon is horrible, especially if you're competing. Pokémon isn't just about the battles.
While I don't really have a problem with cloning as a whole, but one thing they could do would to let you be able to "game sync" when you start a new game. This could let you copy your OT and ID from your previous games (that are also game synced on the Pokemon Global Link) site. It would be a bit complicated, but it would mean that such an ID check could become a thing at competitions

JoeM86

While I don't really have a problem with cloning as a whole, but one thing they could do would to let you be able to "game sync" when you start a new game. This could let you copy your OT and ID from your previous games (that are also game synced on the Pokemon Global Link) site. It would be a bit complicated, but it would mean that such an ID check could become a thing at competitions

Maybe not OT/ID per se, but a secret ID value that's only checked at team checks at competitions that is dealt with in the manner you stated.

But I digress, that'll never happen, and even if it did the hackers would find a way around it.

Goddamnit I came here to post this, using the Global Link as a way to connect accounts and let pokemon from the same PGL be used. Of course, people would still find a way to cheat around this, but at least it is a start.

One thing, though: only pokemons from the same main account, no child account bullshit.

DaBoss

Na. Not really.
As long as the bolded holds true, then yes really.
I get people want perfect IVs with the right nature, but that's really more indicative of the horrors of how IVs have been abused since hacking became dominant in Gen IV, causing more and more people to hack or RNG in order to "keep up" with the others who did it. I know many competitive players who, last gen, hated that they had to RNG in order to be in with a chance.
But I know I'm wasting my time if I continue this discussion.

JoeM86

As long as the bolded holds true, then yes really.

But I know I'm wasting my time if I continue this discussion.

But it's not a fault with the IV system. It's a fault with how players have come to see it due to the proliferation of hacking in Generations IV and V

MicH

AAAAAARGHHHH FINNALLLYYYYY! SHINY RESHIRAM!!!!!!

Oh my god, FINALLY! Time to catch this golden BEAUTY :D

EDIT OH MY GOD, I GOT IT IN MY VERY FIRST UXURY BALL! OH MY GOD YES!

Azuran

Banned
I been in Petalburg Woods for two hours hoping for a Paras to show up. At this rate. I might just give up and keep the friend safari I have on X. The wasted friend slot is better than this.

This is why I could never SR for legendaries and shinies.

Nice. Congrats.

Congratulations, but you ruined it with a Luxury ball. Premier ball or bust.

I'm kidding, hopefully you got one with good IVs and nature.

ffdgh

Cherish this victory...Congratz. Currently at 922 for this darn saber toothed tiger...

MicH

Nice. Congrats.
Congratulations, but you ruined it with a Luxury ball. Premium ball or bust.
Cherish this victory...Congratz. Currently at 922 for this darn saber toothed tiger...

Thanks guys! So happy I finally got it and NO luxury -> premier :D

My synchronizer didn't work though. Bold nature with 31 IVs in Attack, Defense and Speed... with 0 in Special Attack lol :p Ah well, It's alright! I'm still happy I got my shiny Reshiram AT LAST!

What's this about balls? I use the cheapest one available, your standard monster ball. Is that okay?

It is fine, but some people (me included) like to combine the color of the pokemon with the color of the ball. Since Reshiram is white, I plan on get mine in a Premier ball, which is white.

But if you're not OCD like me then any ball will do.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think VGC 2014 reveals many important notes for myself. Going in, I was all in for rooting for Aaron Cybertron Zhang because I love his Youtube videos and his commentary with battling. He didn't make Top 8 so I was like fuck, who do I root for? Well there was Ryosuke Kosuge who was undefeated in Swiss rounds, but he got knocked out later. Then there was Se Jun Park with the defining feature of Pachirisu. I didn't care who he was, I was rooting for him because of his Pokemon choice. This is a stark contrast to my rooting for Aaron because I liked him as a trainer, but with Se Jun, I rooted for him because of his Pokemon.

I want to celebrate Pokemon in these kinds of events, but there is always a lingering uneasiness since you can't really tell what is hacked so it's really best not to dwell on it. Since XY, it's super easy to get 5IV Pokemon and it sure alleviates some unrest (The info of 0 hatched Pokemon doesn't really help). As I'm typing this, I forgot what I was trying to get across; I'm so tired. I like Pokemon.

ffdgh

What's this about balls? I use the cheapest one available, your standard monster ball. Is that okay?

It's more of an aesthetics sort of tihing. Some like to catch pokemon with balls that matches their colors or use premier/luxary balls for extra special chatches. :p

Toxi

Banned
Congrats on the Reshiram. Hopefully I can finally get Regirock tonight.
But it's not a fault with the IV system. It's a fault with how players have come to see it due to the proliferation of hacking in Generations IV and V
Yes it's a fault with the IV system. The reason so many people hack to deal with it is that it's boring breeding for IVs, and since it is possible in the system, it's an element people are already taking advantage of.

If you want people to stop hacking for IVs, remove them. They're a completely unnecessary "feature" that adds an artificial barrier to competition that nobody outside of the devoted even knows or cares about.

Boogiepop

So this thread is huge and I've only read a bit of it and I don't feel like digging around Smogon or something for the answer, so...

How does it look like the new Megas are playing out? Who's good, not good, and possibly one way or the other? Also, out of all the new move stuff via tutors and what not, what's actually of note that got added? And there's at least for now assumed to be no changes to the breeding/whatever mechanics outside of the Nav stuff with Egg Moves in the wild, yeah?

Just trying to get a handle on how the competitive scene is looking to shift with this game (and of course obviously it's hardly set in stone at this point, but I'd imagine there's at least a rough idea forming, yeah?) Mainly interested in doubles if that helps, though I'm interested in whatever else anyone has to say as well.

MicH

Here's a picture of my shiny Reshiram :D

83NjOFV.jpg

My third Shiny in Omega Ruby. Got shiny Latias and bred a shiny Bagon before this :)

KtSlime

It is fine, but some people (me included) like to combine the color of the pokemon with the color of the ball. Since Reshiram is white, I plan on get mine in a Premier ball, which is white.

But if you're not OCD like me then any ball will do.

It's more of an aesthetics sort of tihing. Some like to catch pokemon with balls that matches their colors or use premier/luxary balls for extra special chatches. :p

Oh, okay. Does it increase trade value as well?

Seil

To some people yeah. Bank Balls are another thing to consider. Like Apricorn, Dream, Safari and Sport Balls. Females captured in them in past games can pass them down now, and since they can't be acquired in Gen VI normally...

Personally, I prefer to catch everything in luxury balls. Though I like having some things in otherwise matching balls for collection purposes, my primary goal is always luxury. That'd go especially for shinies. I'd honestly have a hard time deciding whether to accept another ball or just try SRing again if I failed to get a shiny legendary in a luxury x.x

DaBoss

So this thread is huge and I've only read a bit of it and I don't feel like digging around Smogon or something for the answer, so...

How does it look like the new Megas are playing out? Who's good, not good, and possibly one way or the other? Also, out of all the new move stuff via tutors and what not, what's actually of note that got added? And there's at least for now assumed to be no changes to the breeding/whatever mechanics outside of the Nav stuff with Egg Moves in the wild, yeah?

Just trying to get a handle on how the competitive scene is looking to shift with this game (and of course obviously it's hardly set in stone at this point, but I'd imagine there's at least a rough idea forming, yeah?) Mainly interested in doubles if that helps, though I'm interested in whatever else anyone has to say as well.
Look here:
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#single
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#double
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#triple
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#rotation
It does in a sense. Some people (like myself) would go for Pokemon that are in certain balls (Luxury Balls for myself).

KtSlime

Okay, thanks guys, I guess I'll have to think about what I use to capture. Does that go for the people who collect the Japanese pokemon as well?

Gen VI has thankfully made IVs much less of a struggle to get now so that's a plus.
With legendaries it is still a die by your sword situation. Once you've caught it you better be dead certain on its nature and IVs as there is no second chance and no way to change it. Especially as a lot of competitive team building is trial and error so you will have to change things. At least there are no situations in ORAS like there was in XY of "sorry you didn't pick the right starter, no Zapdos for you".

So from a competitive standpoint allowing legendaries at all makes teams as stale as Garchomp favors those with access to multiple copies of the game (so they can have that second chance) or clones (which fulfill a similar purpose). The former was very evident at Worlds from how dubious the on-screen info was (most players had very low numbers eggs hatched, BP earned etc and I even saw who had entered the hall of fame zero times).

lupinko

I have a modded 3DS with a capture board. Otherwise you're stuck with cameras.

Tasty!

Is the PC crazy because it's near Christmas as well? I'd kill for some plushies and stuff.

I think it's crazy for the shiny event, notso much for Christmas. Christmas isn't really a thing in Japan (retailers are trying to make it though, and typically it's in November for them but I'm surprised it's actually December now).

But reading about it is different than actually being a part of it now.

There's also going to be a balloon chute Yzard Chu and a new line of Substitute plushies in the new year too.

Wow. I thought Hoopa was pretty lame design wise for an event legendary, but then I saw its Unbound form today...that's some straight up nightmare fuel.

It kind of reminds me of Genie from Aladdin mixed in with the Spot from Spider-Man. Love how it's basically a chaotic entity.

Heropon

Why do people on GTS like Espeon so much? I asked for a Xerneas and someone accepted for some reason. Why would you waste a legendary for an ordinary pokémon, was it cloned or what?

Why do people on GTS like Espeon so much? I asked for a Xerneas and someone accepted for some reason. Why would you waste a legendary for an ordinary pokémon, was it cloned or what?
I got both a Xerneas (for myself) and a Yveltal (for my bro) last year by offering just two Froakies, also got another Xerneas on Wonder Trade just a few days ago. Some people just don't really care much for them I guess.

Legendaries aren't that hard to get on GTS.

The only pokemon that truly take some effort to acquire are event pokemon. If it's not an event pokemon it's pretty easy to acquire on the GTS. If you frequent the GTS long enough and hold some high demand pokemon you'll eventually find an easy legendary grab.

Hell I've gotten a shiny groudon for a geodude on GTS.

HawthorneKitty

XY legends beyond the bird trio are pretty trade fodder and people hate making babies and happiness pokemon.

Heropon

I got both a Xerneas (for myself) and a Yveltal (for my bro) last year by offering just two Froakies, also got another Xerneas on Wonder Trade just a few days ago. Some people just don't really care much for them I guess.

I'll try to "scam" more people if it's that easy then, I really need Dusknoir and Rhyperior.

The other day I got a Lugia on Wonder Trade but it was obvious that it was fake. I don't believe in level 5 Lugias but at least I got an extra Master Ball.

It makes it legitimately possible with the offspring and it does save time, but as we learned after the Dream Ball fiasco, officially any offspring off of cheated Pokémon are officially classed as cheated so it's not something that should be trumpeted if you do it.

What was the dream ball fiasco?

JoeM86

What was the dream ball fiasco?

A very prolific VGC player got caught out using an Aegislash in a Dream Ball during US Nationals. Aegislash cannot be in a Dream Ball.

Many checked with TPCi and it got confirmed that breeding a Pokémon from a hacked Pokémon means that officially the offspring is not legit.

A very prolific VGC player got caught out using an Aegislash in a Dream Ball during US Nationals. Aegislash cannot be in a Dream Ball.

Many checked with TPCi and it got confirmed that breeding a Pokémon from a hacked Pokémon means that officially the offspring is not legit.

I remember the outcry from that. It's crazy how people noticed it too.

But yeah, pokemon in specialty balls, especially apricorn balls are valuable. People would probably trade any legendary for say a Lure ball Milotic or some other apricorn ball pokemon.

Maybe I should go into HGSS and go on a catching spree in apricorn balls and start transferring them across....

Yeah, Ray Rizzo was given a dream ball Honedge/Aegislash (no idea if it was already trained up). Since Ray knows jack shit about balls he had no idea something was up so he used it and then when people saw it on stream at Nationals the internet exploded.

HawthorneKitty

I remember the outcry from that. It's crazy how people noticed it too.

But yeah, pokemon in specialty balls, especially apricorn balls are valuable. People would probably trade any legendary for say a Lure ball Milotic or some other apricorn ball pokemon.

Maybe I should go into HGSS and go on a catching spree in apricorn balls and start transferring them across....
I love my Friend Ball Ralts.

JoeM86

Yeah, Ray Rizzo was given a dream ball Honedge/Aegislash (no idea if it was already trained up). Since Ray knows jack shit about balls he had no idea something was up so he used it and then when people saw it on stream at Nationals the internet exploded.

People also noticed he had Lure Ball Ludicolo and Lure Ball Drizzle Politoed in the same team through other battles at Nationals. Both are impossible.

People also noticed he had Lure Ball Ludicolo and Lure Ball Drizzle Politoed in the same team through other battles at Nationals. Both are impossible.

Wouldn't the Drizzle politoed be possible now? I think Lotad can't be caught in HGSS outside safari zone so that rules it out. But poliwag should be catchable. Then bred in gen 6 with HA parents it should be possible.

MicH

Wouldn't the Drizzle politoed be possible now? I think Lotad can't be caught in HGSS outside safari zone so that rules it out. But poliwag should be catchable. Then bred in gen 6 with HA parents it should be possible.
You can only pass down HA if either the female has it or if the male has it and is being bred with a Ditto. So it's impossible to have HGSS ball and HA

Top Bottom