• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Ok, just got back to play some more.

I'm a wreck right now, should've slept more. Don't even know if I'll be able to go to the party that I need to go today.

DaBoss

> Catch lvl 13 Taillow with Jolly nature and knows Steel Wing before the first gym

I love this luck. DexNav is gonna be so good post-game.

ramyeon

I really like the DexNav and what it brings to catching Pokemon in the wild.

Caught a level 15 Taillow when my party is only around level 7.

What's so good about false swipe?
If you're worried about false swipe (or hold back* if you're using the gifted Beldum) being a wasted move slot (it both weak and can't KO) you might like to consider a Pokémon which learns super fang instead (which does 50% of opponents current HP as damage)...there are none in Hounen which learn it sadly.

Also in terms of capturing Pokemon having a rough idea of how the in-game forumlas work can help (it avoids overkill of you working to make success >100%). Full health compared to ~0 health is a factor 3 difference to success, paralyze a factor 1.5, sleep a factor 2.5 (in other words putting a Pokémon to sleep alone is almost as effective as getting it to 1 hp). Quick balls thrown on turn 1 always succeed for Pokemon with a catch rate of >200 and are ~52% success for catch rates of 100. That is why quick balls tend to late game and fairly expensive. Get a feel for the numbers using an online calcultor. Also consider those chances a lower bound as I don't think critical capture is factored into those numbers.

The catching o-power also helps (if it like the Gen V versions it is * 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 for levels 1, 2 and 3 respectively).

*-This is basically a promo version of that move, it was previously seen on the Pokébank Celebi

> Catch lvl 13 Taillow with Jolly nature and knows Steel Wing before the first gym
You know I normally hate that most flying types learn steel wing as both a TM and egg move (I get breedjects wasting an egg slot on it so have to go to the move deleter) but in situations like this I can see the appeal.

DaBoss

Does anyone have an idea of what causes a gold crown to appear and what causes a bronze crown to appear in DexNav? Is it just the pentagon?

I just noticed I got a female Torchic. That's nice I guess.

Mael

I said White isnt working in my DS or 3DS.
I transfered Pokemon Pearl pokemon to Battle Revolution.
I have pokemon from GBA to White because thats how long I have been moving pokemon through the Generations.

I guess you'd need to transfer back from battle revolution to Pearl and then to White, go through the pkmn bank and use that on X-Y/OR-AS.
But you'd need a working copy of White for that.
Is you copy of white only malfunctioning on your DS/3DS or is it completely busted?

Mudo

Thinking about picking this up after work - I have bought Pokemon Y and played a few hours. I seem to buy all the Pokemon games but never REALLY get into them. Should I just keep playing Y or have I missed something amazing with the Ruby/Sapphire (never did play them I don't think)?

Also, how does the world size / content compare to the newer games?

Zero2kz

Not sure if accurate, but every store near me (Walmart, Target, etc) claim that it is out of stock on their websites.

Going to try to go get it on my lunch break, along with Smash.

OraleeWey

If you're worried about false swipe (or hold back* if you're using the gifted Beldum) being a wasted move slot (it both weak and can't KO) you might like to consider a Pokémon which learns super fang instead (which does 50% of opponents current HP as damage)...there are none in Hounen which learn it sadly.

Also in terms of capturing Pokemon having a rough idea of how the in-game forumlas work can help (it avoids overkill of you working to make success >100%). Full health compared to ~0 health is a factor 3 difference to success, paralyze a factor 1.5, sleep a factor 2.5 (in other words putting a Pokémon to sleep alone is almost as effective as getting it to 1 hp). Quick balls thrown on turn 1 always succeed for Pokemon with a catch rate of >200 and are ~52% success for catch rates of 100. That is why quick balls tend to late game and fairly expensive. Get a feel for the numbers using an online calcultor. Also consider those chances a lower bound as I don't think critical capture is factored into those numbers.

The catching o-power also helps (if it like the Gen V versions it is * 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 for levels 1, 2 and 3 respectively).

*-This is basically a promo version of that move, it was previously seen on the Pokébank Celebi

You know I normally hate that most flying types learn steel wing as both a TM and egg move (I get breedjects wasting an egg slot on it so have to go to the move deleter) but in situations like this I can see the appeal.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for taking the time.

Busaiku

Still haven't started yet (still a few more hours...), but can the demo items only be transferred at the beginning?
Or can we do it whenever we want?

I'm still hoping Serebii finds the Battle Frontier. I know it's futile but I can't stop hoping.. :(

well this is an alternate universe so its not totally out of the question to get a sequel or third game
like i said Hoopa is WAY too important to not get his/her own after this shit hes pulled

SeZMehK

lol no problem. I just remembered I need to level them up thanks to Backlot sending me O-Powers. Didn't send you Attack Power just in case you were trying to catch a Pokemon or something and then possibly KO it due to Attack Power lol.

I guess I am not far enough to get o-powers and the other goodies. I am so busy with work... >.<

So when do you get Cosplay Pikachu?
Is there any way to get Volt Tackle on her?
After your first content (win or lose doesn't matter, Serebii won and I saw a livestream lose)
Can't breed (meaning 3 perfect IVs) so no way to get volt tackle. Also won't deposit into Pokemon bank (it's gen VI spikey-eared Pichu)

someone needs to tell Nintendo kids arent as stupid as they think they are
my niece is quite smart(and mischievious) for her age
Masuda: I turned Unova into a straight line as too many kids couldn't finish Sinoh (maybe Sinoh needing 3 HM slaves to get around was the problem it had...). I decided to make Lumoise city into a fucking maze. (the former part was in an interview, the latter is showing how stupid it is)

But yes I really don't like the dumbed down dungeon design of Gen V and VI. Even flash isn't needed
as a dark cave only lights up most of the screen

Does anyone have an idea of what causes a gold crown to appear and what causes a bronze crown to appear in DexNav? Is it just the pentagon?

I just noticed I got a female Torchic. That's nice I guess.

I have a feeling gold crown is catching everything possible in the route (ie. Whismur in Rusturf) and bronze is catching everything possible with your current tools (all of the grass Pokemon, but not all of the ocean Pokemon because you lack surf). It's kind of like that one Pokedex mode in BW2.

th4tguy

Is the frame rate any better than x/y? It was really bad in that and I'm just not sure how much I want to deal with that in ruby if it's the same.

Seeing this game being remade in all its glory saddens me

Since I am waiting for that new 3DS to hit Canada but Ninty wants market Saturation for regular 3DS' to peak before they decide to drop it here

damn you AUS/JAPAN

)))))))));

Well I wouldn't be able to play it right now anyways seeing as I'm bloody sick for the past few days

Top Bottom