• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Oh God I just saw the list of available Mega Evolutions and
the fact that you can get every Mega from X & Y allows me to complete my collection with Mewtwo Y and Charizard Y, so happy!

DNAbro

Any of them, really. I just assumed it would be like the birds in X and Y. I guess the more general question is, are there any sets where I'd need to do more than one playthrough to get more than one? (e.g. Can I choose only one of Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf in any given playthrough?) I'm aware that there are version exclusives for pairs like Palkia/Dialga, but I don't see how that would work for trios.

No you can get all the trios in one playthrough. I'm gonna spoiler the rest in case someone doesn't want to see it.

I believe the Three Musketeer trio and the Cave Spirits all appear normally while soaring. It leads you to certain places where you have to go multiple times to catch them. The three dogs you need Ho oh and Lugia to get them to appear while soaring.

No you can get all the trios in one playthrough. I'm gonna spoiler the rest in case someone doesn't want to see it.

I believe the Three Musketeer trio and the Cave Spirits all appear normally while soaring. It leads you to certain places where you have to go multiple times to catch them. The three dogs you need Ho oh and Lugia to get them to appear while soaring.

got some shiny breeding to do then
wait are you sure about the dogs?
source?

Core Zero

Thanks for the quick reply, that helps.

Now just to get to the end of my workday...

I sincerely hope that GF adds some sort of post-release thing (whether a free DLC or even a quick $10 purchase) to add some of the blatantly-missing things like the Battle Frontier. I fear that they're going to do an Emerald remake or Or2/As2 and leech even more money out of the remakes.

Everyone expected a really good job after HgSs, but if I wasn't going to a friend's launch party I might not pick one of these up at all...

Matchew

Dénouement;139846120 said:
Jesus. At school right now, but every time I enter this thread, I read something that makes me regret buying this. And Hoenn/Gen 3 are my favourite. :( Should have just reserved today for Smash.

I still can't wait to play it, but I agree Gold/Silver remakes were so packed with content and this kinda seems a little lazy or maybe they just needed a little more time and couldn't get it.

Dénouement;139846120 said:
Jesus. At school right now, but every time I enter this thread, I read something that makes me regret buying this. And Hoenn/Gen 3 are my favourite. :( Should have just reserved today for Smash.

Have been going in and out of this thread as well...can you clarify what parts of ORAS make you regret buying it?

Grexeno

I still can't wait to play it, but I agree Gold/Silver remakes were so packed with content and this kinda seems a little lazy or maybe they just needed a little more time and couldn't get it.
You really can't fail on post-game content with Gold/Silver remakes since you would essentially have to cut out Kanto.

You really can't fail on post-game content with Gold/Silver remakes since you would essentially have to cut out Kanto.

Now that we have 3D 'mons..my next wish is for pokemon is to create that cohesive open-world game that unifies all the different regions in the game together into one game. That would be AMAZING and an instant-buy....

-Horizon-

It's not in apparently.

tumblr_m4eur3KACI1qzuqe9.gif

Downloading my digital copy atm. Still super fucking bummed about the lack of battle frontier, but this is still my favourite region, so I gotta support.

Now that we have 3D 'mons..my next wish is for pokemon is to create that cohesive open-world game that unifies all the different regions in the game together into one game. That would be AMAZING and an instant-buy....

Your Pokemon would be in the 50s/60s before even beating on set of Elite 4 members.

Plasmid

Honestly the game feels faster and easier than emerald. I'm already at Slateport with 3 level 20s and it feels like it's just breezing by.

Are the wild pokemon you encounter in the earlier areas different than the original Ruby and Sapphire or is it completely identical.

The dex is basically the same, so there's no reason for them to be different. That said, there might be a few differences (with a couple areas redone/etc.)

Honestly the game feels faster and easier than emerald. I'm already at Slateport with 3 level 20s and it feels like it's just breezing by.

Emerald is very quick and easy until Mauville or so, so that's typical. If you took Mudkip, the whole game is pretty piss easy.

maybe design it like GSC - open up the game after beating the elite 4...

You'd end up running through 5 regions with level ~80 pokemon 1 shotting everything.
Either that, or the game would be actually difficult and you'd have to have pretty decent movesets/IVs/EVs to progress at a decent rate, which goes against what GF seems to want from pokemon.

maybe design it like GSC - open up the game after beating the elite 4...

I mean if you want to go to all regions, it would make sense that the Elite 4 for each region could be battled. Also, GSC's way of handling Kanto was kind of bad. Almost everything was a much lower level than your pokemon except for the gym leaders/E4.

Aerobatics

Neo Member
So how's the difficulty and the post game content? Very hesitant on picking this up.

Kinda lame that they took out hard mode in x & y, I dont think I had a Pokemon faint one time the entire game.

And the post game stuff was a massive bummer, felt like their was nothing to do.

So how's the difficulty and the post game content? Very hesitant on picking this up.

Kinda lame that they took out hard mode in x & y, I dont think I had a Pokemon faint one time the entire game.

And the post game stuff was a massive bummer, felt like their was nothing to do.

By nature of Hoenn being a better region, there's more stuff to do if you're one that enjoys exploring/completionist. Otherwise the postgame is pretty comparable.

You'd end up running through 5 regions with level ~80 pokemon 1 shotting everything.
Either that, or the game would be actually difficult and you'd have to have pretty decent movesets/IVs/EVs to progress at a decent rate, which goes against what GF seems to want from pokemon.

This might be an exception, but Gen I and Gen II post game trainers actually had pretty high-leveled pokemon and the game was actually challenging (ie vs Gary in Gen I, Red at Mt Silver in Gen II, etc). But recently, with how popular Pokemon has become, I agree, GF has lost its ability to make the games challenging and are now focusing on accessibility...

ORAS egg move changes (compared with XY). I'm probably way lttp to this or nobody has done this...for good reason.

Tyrogue loses Ally Swap (not a big loss considering it is IMPOSSIBLE to actually obtain and not listed in official sources)
Plusle gains Charm and Fake Tears
Minun gains Charm and Fake Tears

That is all. Bit weird but when you look at the level up moves for Plusle and Minun they have each lost one of those two...at least it isn't different egg moves for each.

Source: Me using two text files XY rom datamine (didn't list total egg moves per species so I used a spreadsheet to count) compared to Pokemon bank update datamine (different to demo datamine in that it counts egg moves correctly rather being egg moves+1). Both are from project Pokemon or people involved with that site.

R/S/E's difficulty were pretty good I thought. I played GSC and RSE back to back last year and GSC's difficulty was mostly because of the random level spike by the 8th gym and the fact that it's incredibly hard to find a good training spot since wild Pokemon cap at around the 20's in Johto. :/ Emerald went more smoothly for me. (Though I also didn't take my starter with me in last year's playthrough and mostly used shit Pokemon that I liked so that contributed. It could have gone waaaay easier lol.)

It can be more difficult than XY but you need to deliberately ignore a lot of the features the game throws at you (exp.share, special moves/abilities given by dexnavi appearances, amie+super training benefits, freebie Pokemon, etc). But gym leaders aren't locked to only 3 Pokemon throughout the whole game anymore which is good news.

Postgame is unfortunately about the same as XY but with a crapload of legendaries.

R/S/E's difficulty were pretty good I thought. I played GSC and RSE back to back last year and GSC's difficulty was mostly because of the random level spike by the 8th gym and the fact that it's incredibly hard to find a good training spot since wild Pokemon cap at around the 20's in Johto. :/

Yeah, it has the best pacing of any pokemon game, IMO. Sinnoh is probably second, and then the gen 5 games. That said, mudkip is easily the most broken starter in pokemon for general play. Water/Ground is stupidly strong, and Hoenn has maybe 3 remotely difficult grass pokemon.

entremet

I think the Black/White games were harder, tbh. Platinum is amazingly well paced.

Really B/W was a cake walk. Fun game, though. Loved that generation.

B2W2 had a hard mode that was stupidly dumb to unlock and the post stuff was challenging, especially Pokemon World Tournament.

Really? I think Platinum is probably the hardest in the series, especially for Nuzlocks.

Really B/W was a cake walk. Fun game, though. Loved that generation.

B2W2 had a hard mode that was stupidly dumb to unlock and the post stuff was challenging, especially Pokemon World Tournament.
It's possible I'm misremembering, but I thought I had a harder time with BW than Plat. It helps though that I played through Plat ~10 times, so I had that shit down.

Joqu

So, how possible is Battle Frontier to actually be in these games(DLC or not)? :/

It's definitely not in as of now.

I feel like the statements Game Freak has made regarding DLC aren't as definitive as some people say they are, it's locking Pokémon behind a paywall they (rightfully) appear to be opposed to, but DLC would still be unprecedented so don't get your hopes up.

They have definitely been teasing the BF a lot in this though so they seem to be up to something. (Expect to buy a new game for it tbh)

Top Bottom