• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Perfect! Anything works! Why 0 speed though? I know it's done for a reason, just don't know why.
The conventional wizdom is why Azuran says.

However, it can be a bit of a crowd stupidity as seen in the 2014 Juniors Finals which a decisive point was which damaged Aegislash went first (even though it was sending a shadow ball into shield forme the defences don't help when you don't have a great deal of HP). Of course I've not researched whether that actually was a speed tie or not.

I think it is about here:
http://youtu.be/zW3fJdDVpKc?t=35m55s

I don't think that hail is bad per se, It's missing a 1 stage stat boost for ice type pokemon vs Sandstorm but it makes Blizzard guaranteed to hit in exchange.

It's just that only Ice type pokemon can really take advantage of it (whereas Sandstorm can be used by Rock, Ground and Steel pokemon) and ice is an awful defensive type (ice type moves are generally used by water type pokemon).

I can't really see them doing much more for Hail tjam increasing Ice type Defense by 1 stage (parallel to Sandstorms increase of Rock type Special Defense by 1 stage), since expanding the type immunity to hail doesn't make much sense. Increasing evasion by 1 stage probably makes mildly more sense but the stacking shenanigans with Snow Cloak make it undesirable.

But then again if someone had suggested Stealth Rock's mechanic to me , I would have smacked them upside the head.

Firestorm

Yeah, slowest Aegislash isn't always desirable if you need to nuke a threat before it hurts your partner or you. I use one that's Modest / 31 IV / with speed EVs on top of that for example.

JoeM86

Joe comes forth with more events!

B-wzd1OXIAAM0Pv.png
gPn1F5c.png

Serial Code is: SERENA01. Japan only

It also has a high Cute Contest stat
B-w0rgeW0AA96Yh.png

I'd probably go for a pure physical Dragon Dance set. Put EVS into Attack and Speed and whatever is left into HP.

I think pure physical has always been how the Gator was built. Or at least all the ones in 4th Gen UU I used were full phys. Not sure why anyone would use mixed, tbh.

The Nido's don't have a physical movepool that's compatible with sheer force so they tend to be run as Special Attackers (even though their raw stats favour Attack).

Feralgator's got a lot less problems there, since he's got a decent physical secondary effect pool, but mixed might make sense for coverage, I'm to lazy to check how his type coverage stacks up in terms of Sheer Force Physical.

The Nido's don't have a physical movepool that's compatible with sheer force so they tend to be run as Special Attackers (even though their raw stats favour Attack).

Feralgator's got a lot less problems there, since he's got a decent physical secondary effect pool, but mixed might make sense for coverage, I'm to lazy to check how his type coverage stacks up in terms of Sheer Force Physical.

I understand the reasoning, I suppose. Just don't think it's worth much investment, to say the least.

As far as the Johto starters, though, I'm more excited for doubles explosion typhlosion cheese.

Guys, I just bought Alpha Sapphire because to get the Eon Ticket before time runs out.

"Also for trainers who weren't so lucky to get their Eon Ticket, they could check back at Pokemon.com to acquire a code, which would be typed in the "Pokemon Omega Ruby" and "Alpha Sapphire" game to get an Eon Ticket. This code would only be available, however, from Feb. 27 to March 02."

But I can't find the Eon ticket code on pokemon.com.

Muku

Man after my long trip I get reminders why I need to get the net, LOL. Bank trio, the Jp Fennekin, and Eon ticket around same time at this time is kind of awful. Though sounds like Eon ticket time frame is really limited? Still have my JPN code from corocoro that lasts tile end of what April or something? Maybe I'll just stick with that plan.

That JP shiny Rayquaza have crazy hoops to jump through? On phone so can't really dive too deeply at the moment. Though I guess I'm good since I have WHF ones.

Reminds me gotta SR for last Shaymin. Picked it up before I left down would be 26th. Have all of them dated a different date in sequential order to set them apart. And kept me from going crazy while SRing.

Breeding for competitive pokemons (not the ones that need Hidden Power), but going for a non-shiny one feels so good, in most cases I get the 'mon that I need in less than a box of eggs.

SuperOrez

Hi everyone. How often do you think that QR cheat is going to be used. I love playing competitive pokemon but with all this steroid use I almost feel is not worth it anymore.

Hi everyone. How often do you think that QR cheat is going to be used. I love playing competitive pokemon but with all this steroid use I almost feel is not worth it anymore.

Since the exploit is public Nintendo will probably patch it within the next couple of updates, then patch the pokemon games and required the latest patch to play online. It won't remove existing pokemon (a properly generated hacked pokemon is identical to one found in game/event/etc) but it'll stem the flow being added. It won't eliminate them though, since there are other ways to achieve the same result but it'll make it more difficult (since it'll required hardware).

JoeM86

Unfortunately it and Power Saves have somewhat ruined the competitive environment by making people cheat to get the Pokémon, but really in the end the results would be the same. It sucks that they cheat to get this way, but don't let it deter you. That way, when you win, you win with honour.

As said, browser injection and QR Code injection will likely be patched out soon, but Power Saves will annoyingly always be an issue. Unless the player publically announces that they do it, it's hard to trace and punish those players.

SuperOrez

Unfortunately it and Power Saves have somewhat ruined the competitive environment by making people cheat to get the Pokémon, but really in the end the results would be the same. It sucks that they cheat to get this way, but don't let it deter you. That way, when you win, you win with honour.

As said, browser injection and QR Code injection will likely be patched out soon, but Power Saves will annoyingly always be an issue. Unless the player publically announces that they do it, it's hard to trace and punish those players.

Do you think the cheats are widely used in official tournaments?

JoeM86

Unfortunately, there will be players using them. Just like RNG abuse and other cheating methods, competitors often use them to take shortcuts with the belief that if it's hacked to look legit that it is legit. Even some top players have had glaringly obvious hacked Pokémon over the past few years (I won't name them publically out of respect since I'm sure (or at least hopeful) that they have changed their ways).

There will always be players who take the shortcut, but most do not and play properly.

Guys do you care about your Trainer ID?

I keep soft resetting to get a simple and clean Trainer ID. Not joking. Am I alone with that problem..?

entremet

Genning is already available anyway.

Most of these genned mons are designed to be competition legal anyway.

I personally have no problem it as long as the stats and movesets are legal, although I don't it myself.

Pokemon has a lot of time taxes for the competitive game, and although GF has made the game a bit more streamlined in Gen VI, genning is still faster than breeding.

I'll be honest with you. If I finally got a Trainer ID I am fine with. I'm going to add certain pokemons through hacking. I want to play the story with my favorite six. And you don't get those early the legal way. And those aren't legendaries.

JoeM86

I'll be honest with you. If I finally got a Trainer ID I am fine with. I'm going to add certain pokemons through hacking. I want to play the story with my favorite six. And you don't get those early the legal way. And those aren't legendaries.

Why don't you breed an egg on another game and trade it over so it hatches with the OT/ID if they're not legendaries

Genning is already available anyway.

Most of these genned mons are designed to be competition legal anyway.

I personally have no problem it as long as the stats and movesets are legal, although I don't it myself.

Pokemon has a lot of time taxes for the competitive game, and although GF has made the game a bit more streamlined in Gen VI, genning is still faster than breeding.

It is completely against the rules though

entremet

Why don't you breed an egg on another game and trade it over so it hatches with the OT/ID if they're not legendaries

It is completely against the rules though

I'm aware. I'm not talking about using genned mons at VGC events. But a lot of users do so to quickly build teams for Battle Spot.

Azuran

Banned
How I wish Arcanine could learn Taunt.

It not like it matters. You won't be able to tell and chances are no one will be using Pokemon with illegal moves and stats. At the end of the day, I'm only there to battle and hacked Pokemon won't help out much if someone sucks at it.

SuperOrez

I'll just keep on keeping on than. My wife loves breeding and EV training and I like making making strategies and battling so we make a good team.

ngower

Hi all,

I really wanna pick up ORAS as it's the only Pokemon game I've not played. (I lied, I haven'y played B/W either...but it doesn't make for as good a story). However, I've heard that much like X/Y it's really easy and there's little depth to the game if you aren't competitive or trying to fill out a Pokedex. So! While I don't really care to enter tournaments or anything, I am interested in perhaps building up a team that can play competitively (enough) online. So, I wonder if you folks might be willing to help out with some basic questions?

Just how much of an investment is this time-wise? It seems I'd need to review lots of pairings and move sets and even get into breeding as the default folks are a little sparse, but how much of a time commitment are we talking here? Cause I don't wanna have to read a tome just to get decent at the game. And is ORAS the standard for the community right now, or is X/Y still getting a lot of the attention?

Hope this makes sense. Any other advice you might offer would help tremendously.

Cheers.

JoeM86

Hi all,

I really wanna pick up ORAS as it's the only Pokemon game I've not played. (I lied, I haven'y played B/W either...but it doesn't make for as good a story). However, I've heard that much like X/Y it's really easy and there's little depth to the game if you aren't competitive or trying to fill out a Pokedex. So! While I don't really care to enter tournaments or anything, I am interested in perhaps building up a team that can play competitively (enough) online. So, I wonder if you folks might be willing to help out with some basic questions?

Just how much of an investment is this time-wise? It seems I'd need to review lots of pairings and move sets and even get into breeding as the default folks are a little sparse, but how much of a time commitment are we talking here? Cause I don't wanna have to read a tome just to get decent at the game. And is ORAS the standard for the community right now, or is X/Y still getting a lot of the attention?

Hope this makes sense. Any other advice you might offer would help tremendously.

Cheers.

ORAS is the major focus now due to its move tutors and 20 new Mega Evolutions which don't exist in XY

Time investment is up to you. Some spend countless hours, others not so much.

Top Bottom