• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Azuran

Banned
Hi all,

I really wanna pick up ORAS as it's the only Pokemon game I've not played. (I lied, I haven'y played B/W either...but it doesn't make for as good a story). However, I've heard that much like X/Y it's really easy and there's little depth to the game if you aren't competitive or trying to fill out a Pokedex. So! While I don't really care to enter tournaments or anything, I am interested in perhaps building up a team that can play competitively (enough) online. So, I wonder if you folks might be willing to help out with some basic questions?

Just how much of an investment is this time-wise? It seems I'd need to review lots of pairings and move sets and even get into breeding as the default folks are a little sparse, but how much of a time commitment are we talking here? Cause I don't wanna have to read a tome just to get decent at the game. And is ORAS the standard for the community right now, or is X/Y still getting a lot of the attention?

Hope this makes sense. Any other advice you might offer would help tremendously.

Cheers.

Its actually not that time consuming once you get the hang of it. Its slow at first, but once you know how to breed and train, you can easily build a competitive team in 3 or 4 days if you only play for a couple of hours a day.

What takes time is getting to know and keeping up with the ever changing metagame if you plan on playing for the long run.

StoneFox

Aww, I kind of wanted the WonderCard for the Eon Ticket but I had already gotten the ticket from an unknown stranger when I took my 3ds to a grocery store a few weeks ago. Aw well, it's nice that they are giving people to chance to get it if they are unable to properly streetpass for it. :)

But ever since I did get the ticket I've been taking my 3ds everywhere to share the ticket love, I hope I helped at least one person this way before it was a code. :3

Firestorm

Welp. I was giving one of the initial tickets and I still haven't gone to the island because I never want to catch legendaries in case I need to reset for it later =[ IVs ruined the legendary/event experience. I have so many unused wondercards in my old games.

Welp. I was giving one of the initial tickets and I still haven't gone to the island because I never want to catch legendaries in case I need to reset for it later =[ IVs ruined the legendary/event experience. I have so many unused wondercards in my old games.

I've been to my island, but ain't caught it either in case I want a competitive or shiny one : P

Any chance I can bribe you for some of the unused WCs? XD

I missed all the Gen 3/4/5 events, so I've been playing catch up. Just traded for a FEB2012 Mewtwo a few moments ago, but now I'm missing a Meloetta.

If anybody has a spare legit Meloetta, I've got a few things to trade too, like Shaymin, Darkrai, Diancie or VGC Mamoswine (the latter will be hard to let go of though).

Alternatively, if somebody wants a Meloetta, I have one in my "not sure" (aka could be hack or clone) pile.

Azuran

Banned
Anyone here a female Growlithe in a fast ball that they can trade me? You can have some perfect mons in return for helping me out.

Carl7

Almost wonder traded a shiny totodile, i probably completely ignored it while i was breeding because it has 4 ivs.

Damn breeding auto-pilot.

Carl7

Its actually not that time consuming once you get the hang of it. Its slow at first, but once you know how to breed and train, you can easily build a competitive team in 3 or 4 days if you only play for a couple of hours a day.

What takes time is getting to know and keeping up with the ever changing metagame if you plan on playing for the long run.

Beginners should wonder trade a lot, many players send great rejects on it and they can be very useful for someone who just started.

Daemul

Hey guys, I've just finished playing Black 1 and Black 2, and they were brilliant, the best story and the best postgame in the series consecutively. I'm interested in picking up a new 3DS for Pokemon X & Y and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, but I wanted to know if they're worth buying?

I've heard really bad things about the story and postgame in X & Y, and whilst the bad story part doesn't bother me since the stories in the Pokemon games are usually rubbish, with Black and White 1 being the exception, the lack of a good post game worries me. Whilst Black 1 had a rubbish post game but made up for it with a good story and Black 2 had, imo, a below average story but made up for it with a phenomenal postgame (Pokemon World Tournament FTW!), X & Y seems to lack both. Would I be better off waiting for the inevitable 3rd version?

I haven't heard much about the story and postgame of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, so I wanted to know if the games were good enough to tide me over until version Z is released? Also, if they are worth playing, there's the matter of the water routes in Hoenn, please tell me they toned them down? I remember my first experience of Ruby and it's water routes all those years ago, there was much suffering lol. Never again I said lol

To go off the trail quickly, how is the competitive scene this days? I haven't taken part since the days of DPP, where the constant sight of the same exact small group of pokemon, in nearly every team I faced, made things stale and boring, and eventually caused me to just say fuck it, and retire from the competitve scene. Has that situtation improved in the subsequent two generations, or is everyone still copy/pasting smogon teams and movesets?

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies :)

entremet

Hey guys, I've just finished playing Black 1 and Black 2, and they were brilliant, the best story and the best postgame in the series consecutively. I'm interested in picking up a new 3DS for Pokemon X & Y and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, but I wanted to know if they're worth buying?

I've heard really bad things about the story and postgame in X & Y, and whilst the bad story part doesn't bother me since the stories in the Pokemon games are usually rubbish, with Black and White 1 being the exception, the lack of a good post game worries me. Whilst Black 1 had a rubbish post game but made up for it with a good story and Black 2 had, imo, a below average story but made up for it with a phenomenal postgame (Pokemon World Tournament FTW!), X & Y seems to lack both. Would I be better off waiting for the inevitable 3rd version?

I haven't heard much about the story and postgame of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, so I wanted to know if the games were good enough to tide me over until version Z is released? Also, if they are worth playing, there's the matter of the water routes in Hoenn, please tell me they toned them down? I remember my first experience of Ruby and it's water routes all those years ago, there was much suffering lol. Never again I said lol

To go off the trail quickly, how is the competitive scene this days? I haven't taken part since the days of DPP, where the constant sight of the same exact small group of pokemon, in nearly every team I faced, made things stale and boring, and eventually caused me to just say fuck it, and retire from the competitve scene. Has that situtation improved in the subsequent two generations, or is everyone still copy/pasting smogon teams and movesets?

Cheers!

Gen V is my favorite by far, but Gen VI is nice. GF again speed up battles. They're the fastest in the series, which was impressive given Gen V was pretty speedy.

If I were you, I'd get ORAS since it was more Mega Evolutions available and Move Tutors. Dex Nav is also better than Friend Safari since no one is really on Pokemon XY these days.

XY does have more obtainable Pokemon, but ORAS has tons of legendary Pokemon to capture.

Breeding mechanics are also better as fathers can pass their Hidden Abilities with a Ditto at times and Destiny Knot know works to transfer IVs from the parents. A huge addition.

I don't battle much online, so I'm not too versed there.

Azuran

Banned

The single player postgame in both XY and ORAS is terrible. However, getting into competitive play is easier than ever with the new breeding and training mechanics, so it kinda evens out in my eyes. I have gotten more playtime out of Battle Spot this gen than all of the postgames in the previous games combined.

Singles/Smogon is just a broken mess since GF obviously stop trying to balance that metagame a long time ago. VGC Doubles is great right now and with every Pokemon sans OP legendaries being legal, teams tend to be very diverse relative to singles. Here's an example of some of the stuff that's viable on VGC right now.

entremet

The single player postgame in both XY and ORAS is terrible. However, getting into competitive play is easier than ever with the new breeding and training mechanics, so it kinda evens out in my eyes. I have gotten more playtime out of Battle Spot this gen than all of the postgames in the previous games combined.

Singles/Smogon is just a broken mess since GF obviously stop trying to balance that metagame a long time ago. VGC Doubles is great right now and with every Pokemon sans OP legendaries being legal, teams tend to be very diverse relative to singles.

How is singles unbalanced?

Azuran

Banned
How is singles unbalanced?

Most mega evolutions are broken to hell and back and are able to sweep entire teams without much trouble. It's insane how powerful they are. Of course, they always ban them, but that ends up removing variety. I just don't consider that a healthy metagame.

entremet

Most mega evolutions are broken to hell and back and are able to sweep entire teams without much trouble. It's insane how powerful they are. Of course, they always ban them, but that ends up removing variety. I just don't consider that a healthy metagame.

You mean Smogon bans them correct? Because I see megas in Singles Battle Spot.

Azuran

Banned
You mean Smogon bans them correct? Because I see megas in Singles Battle Spot.

Yeah, and that's why I stop playing Singles Battle Spot. It's just not fun running the exact same Pokemon because you know for sure Mega Kangaskhan will sweep your entire team if you don't have something for her. At least Doubles offers a bit more variety and the power of the Megas is toned down despite being a more offensive format.

Carl7

The problem is when they ban pokemon that are not broken. I don't buy that over-centralization talk and, in my opinion, trying to define what's best for a meta-game as complex as pokemon is extremely pretentious.

VGC though is doing pretty well in gen 6, i didn't like it at all but it's my favorite meta now.

Guys, I couldn't sneak up on the first pokemon in the tutorial because a random one showed up before then it vanished. Now Brendon says hah hah too bad.. etc..

Is that supposed to happen? Or do I need to sneak now up on something else?

Edit: Nevermind. I used the search function and sneaked up on another.

You don't have to do that encounter, though the encounter Poochyena has a special move (which is whichever of the Fangs your starter resists, Fire Fang for Mudkip, Thunder Fang for Sceptile and Ice Fang for Blaziken) and is a bit higher in level than most encounters you'll have for a bit. It's not a big deal though, you can get the same effect by levelling up your DexNav Level for Poochyena enough and chain encountering (the Fangs are standard egg moves so they can be gotten by DexNav anyway).

I had a fairly frustration free GTS HA obtaining session yesterday:
gts-gsha_zpswc4yncm3.png
Not pictured are the 4 failed attempts for Cyndaquil. Totodile and Chikorita were first attempts.

Ally Switch Krabby is an example of why Dexnav is lovely (in XY the only way to get this was via Gen V transfer as all sources of it had learned it from a Gen V TM).

Daemul

Cheers!

Gen V is my favorite by far, but Gen VI is nice. GF again speed up battles. They're the fastest in the series, which was impressive given Gen V was pretty speedy.

If I were you, I'd get ORAS since it was more Mega Evolutions available and Move Tutors. Dex Nav is also better than Friend Safari since no one is really on Pokemon XY these days.

XY does have more obtainable Pokemon, but ORAS has tons of legendary Pokemon to capture.

Breeding mechanics are also better as fathers can pass their Hidden Abilities with a Ditto at times and Destiny Knot know works to transfer IVs from the parents. A huge addition.

I don't battle much online, so I'm not too versed there.

Destiny Knot transfers IV's from parent? Game changer.

Yeah, about mega evolutions, how are they? When I heard about them the first thought that came into my mind was that they would unbalance the hell out of the metagame. SP itself would be unaffected since it's easy anyway so having OP pokemon won't make a difference, but the competitive scene would become a mess.

EDIT:I see someone covered this in the post below.

Singles/Smogon is just a broken mess since GF obviously stop trying to balance that metagame a long time ago. VGC Doubles is great right now and with every Pokemon sans OP legendaries being legal, teams tend to be very diverse relative to singles. Here's an example of some of the stuff that's viable on VGC right now.

Yeah, it's no surprise that the postgames of the current Gen VI games aren't very good, they're probably leaving everything for Pokemon Z.

And like I feared, Mega's have broken single's battles, and I'm absolutely not surprised in the slightest. Just what did GF think would happen, when they gave Pokemon like fucking Rayquaza a new evolution? It may be a temporary one, but lord, it's break's shit.

Might be time for me to jump into the doubles scene.

The problem is when they ban pokemon that are not broken. I don't buy that over-centralization talk and, in my opinion, trying to define what's best for a meta-game as complex as pokemon is extremely pretentious.

VGC though is doing pretty well in gen 6, i didn't like it at all but it's my favorite meta now.

Yeah, I haven't always agreed with some of the bans Smogon have made to their meta, but I can see why they got rid of a few. I've been reading through Pokemon forums, trying to catch up on what I've missed the past two generations, and looking at the great weather wars of Gen V(something I'm glad I missed), I can understand why they banished pokemon like Excadrill to ubers.

Their decision making does come off as a bit pretentious at times, but eh, you just learn to roll with it.

Beginners should wonder trade a lot, many players send great rejects on it and they can be very useful for someone who just started.

TBH I would be afraid of using wonder trade now, with all the QR pokemon, I wouldn't risk getting a defect or a glitched pokemon that could ruin your save.

Azuran

Banned
All right, I have one now. Transferring it up right now. Let me know when you're ready.

I'm sorry, I fell asleep. Playing while laying in bed is a bad idea >.<

I'll be playing all day so just send me a trade request if you see me. I have you on my friend list already so hopefully I'm still on yours. My IGN is Anto.

Can defect pokemon even be traded?

I don't know, tbh, but I'm willing to be extra cautious regarding it.

Wonder Trade is one of my favorite new additions in Gen VI. Can those really ruin your save? :/

I know that if you use the wrong QR it might screw your save, but I don't know if you can trade a defect one. As I said, I stopped gambling with Wonder Trade.

Animal Crossing Wild World hackers still haunt me, so I won't risk again.

Gorillaz

Late to the conversation but I do agree with the above about how battle spot singles arent really that fun to me either now that im getting backish into the meta game. Plus doubles feels more flexible in terms of what you can pull off

Rutger

Banned
About a month later, I have all the IVs I need on the Pokemon I want right now...

That was awful, but at least I can finally return to actually playing Pokemon. The improvements made over the generations are nice, but this is still such a pointless time sink.

It should be. If you have a Pokemon with a Jolly nature and Synchronize ability such as Ralts, you should be able to get Jolly 100% of the time.

Nope. And I can't get anymore one. I am in the corridor where I go out of the room after the contest. I am now stuck in there.

entremet

I don't know, tbh, but I'm willing to be extra cautious regarding it.

I know that if you use the wrong QR it might screw your save, but I don't know if you can trade a defect one. As I said, I stopped gambling with Wonder Trade.

Animal Crossing Wild World hackers still haunt me, so I won't risk again.

The injected Pokemon only risk the user doing the hack, not those getting them over Wonder trade.

And yes, the hacks have gotten to so good that they fool Wondertrade and also fool official VGC events.

Daemul

Late to the conversation but I do agree with the above about how battle spot singles arent really that fun to me either now that im getting backish into the meta game. Plus doubles feels more flexible in terms of what you can pull off

It's the mega evolutions. I like them as a concept since they allow GF to give weaker pokemon power ups without needing to create a brand new evolution for them, but they're a slippery slope, because once you give a few pokemon mega evolutions, you need to give other pokemon mega evolutions as well to balance the playing field out.

Inevitably, you'll then have fans of certain pokemon complaining that their favourite pokemon are being unfairly overlooked, so now GF have to them give them mega evolutions as well to avoid accusations of favouritism, and it spirals down from there, until even the already powerful as fuck pokemon, who don't need a mega evolution, get one as well. At that point, all hell breaks loose, and for the first time in history, you have have a pokemon being banned from Ubers.

There was no way the mega evolution mechanic being introduced was ever going to end well for the singles meta lol

Like I said above, I'll probably just stick to the doubles meta once I get my team up and running, if only just to avoid the clusterfuck. Maybe the mega evolution mechanic, like other mechanics in the past, is just a one generation thing, and things will go back to normal in the 7th gen. I'm not holding my breath though lol

entremet

My guess is that they'll introduce a 3rd wave of Megas in Pokemon Z or whatever they call it.

The Johto, Unova, and Kalos Starters are missing megas.

Although a Mega Greninja would seem very broken lol.

Daemul

My guess is that they'll introduce a 3rd wave of Megas in Pokemon Z or whatever they call it.

The Johto, Unova, and Kalos Starters are missing megas.

Although a Mega Greninja would seem very broken lol.

I'm filled with both excitement and dread at the thought of Mega Infernape lol

Gorillaz

It's the mega evolutions. I like them as a concept since they allow GF to give weaker pokemon power ups without needing to create a brand new evolution for them, but they're a slippery slope, because once you give a few pokemon mega evolutions, you need to give other pokemon mega evolutions as well to balance the playing field out.

Inevitably, you'll then have fans of certain pokemon complaining that their favourite pokemon are being unfairly overlooked, so now GF have to them give them mega evolutions as well to avoid accusations of favouritism, and it spirals down from there, until even the already powerful as fuck pokemon, who don't need a mega evolution, get one as well. At that point, all hell breaks loose, and for the first time in history, you have have a pokemon being banned from Ubers.

There was no way the mega evolution mechanic being introduced was ever going to end well for the singles meta lol

Like I said above, I'll probably just stick to the doubles meta once I get my team up and running, if only just to avoid the clusterfuck. Maybe the mega evolution mechanic, like other mechanics in the past, is just a one generation thing, and things will go back to normal in the 7th gen. I'm not holding my breath though lol

Yea I like this idea of megas and making some pokemon actually viable now but.....it really is a slippery slope.

I have been looking up the metagame stuf and found an interesting theory from people that feel that GF is basically balancing for doubles now more the singles (apparently since BW2?)

Can someone help me? I don't know if it's the right place. But I need a pokemon with synchronize and jolly nature and I can't offer much in my party. I'm stuck in the corridor before Cosplay Pikachu.

Edit: Nevermind. I got one.

Syntsui

Guys is this a good competitve Cosplay Pikachu? I want a jolly one.

That's the best result I got so far.

7mbf2hsl.png

There is no such a thing as ''competitive'' Pikachu, man... Or do you intend to use one in VGC? Anyway, 31 in Speed and the atacking stats you are going to focus is a must, the other stats are fine from 28 to 31.

Blues1990

Hey, guys. I'm currently creating a team, and I want some advice that can help me. I have Aggron (Atlas) as my tank & Blissey (Soft Boiled) as my special wall, but I wanted to know what Pokemon that can complement these two. Any imput would be fantastic.

EDIT: Is there a thread that is dedicated for team building?

There is no such a thing as ''competitive'' Pikachu, man... Or do you intend to use one in VGC? Anyway, 31 in Speed and the atacking stats you are going to focus is a must, the other stats are fine from 28 to 31.

I intend to play competitve with it yes. I use my favorite pokemons. Though I dropped this one and I am still stuck in the corridor. I need someone who offers me a jolly pokemon with synchronize.

Edit: Nevermind. I got one.

ZeroAKA

I intend to play competitve with it yes. I use my favorite pokemons. Though I dropped this one and I am still stuck in the corridor. I need someone who offers me a jolly pokemon with synchronize.
I was going to reset for one too, but I decided against it after finding out that Cosplay Pikachu doesn't have Volt Tackle and can't be transferred into Pokebank. I might as well just breed one later if I really want a Pikachu.

I was going to reset for one too, but I decided against it after finding out that Cosplay Pikachu doesn't have Volt Tackle and can't be transferred into Pokebank. I might as well just breed one later if I really want a Pikachu.

Damn. Didn't knew about Volt Tackle. Hmm.

Well. I just recieved an almost perfect 6 IV cosplay Pikachu. It's missing only 1 point in special defense.

s9jdjbbe.png

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I'm sorry, I fell asleep. Playing while laying in bed is a bad idea >.<

I'll be playing all day so just send me a trade request if you see me. I have you on my friend list already so hopefully I'm still on yours. My IGN is Anto.

lol, no problem, I figured you might've. I haven't taken you off of my list. My IGN is Brian. I should be on most of the afternoon/early evening (PST) today, but I won't be on late at night.

Top Bottom