• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Rutger

Banned
The only reason they are is because of hacks, though. Without it and without the ways Game Freak implemented this gen, it'd be really unlikely for people to have the Pokémon they'd have.

I disagree that having perfect IVs would not exist in a world without hacking, even with older, less manageable breading methods.

We're talking about a competitive environment. I don't really know the state of Pokemon tournaments and their prizes right now, but if competitive Pokemon ever gets big enough and there is good money on the line, the top players will very likely have perfect IVs. Anyone that really wants to win has no good reason to settle for inferior IVs. Sure, most people will not have the time to waste playing with a random number generator, but they're also not going to usually be the ones winning, at which point you gotta wonder why there is such a pointless filter completely unrelated to how well one can play the game.

backlot

Ok, let's say we still have the Gen IV breeding mechanics. Explain how you'd get a team of 6 Pokémon with 5 or more max IVs.

By spending a lot of time breeding. Believe it or not there was actually a pretty big competitive breeding scene at the start of gen 4.

Lets not forget that even today people are soft resetting 5 or even 6 IV legends even though they're only guaranteed 3 perfect IVs. That's the same amount of IVs that gen 4 breeding would let you pass on. Obviously you aren't guaranteed the correct 3 IVs will pass on every time with breeding but it isn't impossible.

JoeM86

By spending a lot of time breeding. Believe it or not there was actually a pretty big competitive breeding scene at the start of gen 4.

Lets not forget that even today people are soft resetting 5 or even 6 IV legends even though they're only guaranteed 3 perfect IVs. That's the same amount of IVs that gen 4 breeding would let you pass on. Obviously you aren't guaranteed the correct 3 IVs will pass on every time with breeding but it isn't impossible.

Yeah, but it wasn't easy. It would have required a lot of soft resetting. Many wouldn't do it.

I know it's the baseline now due to a variety of factors, but you cannot ignore that hacking is a large part of it.

backlot

Yeah, but it wasn't easy. It would have required a lot of soft resetting. Many wouldn't do it.

I know it's the baseline now due to a variety of factors, but you cannot ignore that hacking is a large part of it.

It's the baseline because it is a competitive game and top contenders will always strive for perfection. Hacking made it easier for less dedicated people to get into the game but it doesn't change the fact that top players would have had max IVs regardless.

I get kinda depressed whenever I walk into a hacking argument : /

BTW, is anybody getting ready for the Enter the Dragon tournament this month? The one where you get a HA Amaura gift (and also the main reason I'm entering).

Didn't realise it was 4 Pokemon only, which will help preparations I guess. Naturally, that will involve snagging a RNG'd Shiny Rayquaza from somewhere XD
DX

Gorillaz

going through parts of the battle resort

This has to be one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. Went up against the same bulky umbreon in 3 DIFFERENT matches in a row. No way anyone at GameFreak actually put any serious thought into this. It's literally just stalling you out and "The RNG is real" situations on max.

It's so annoying.....It's just such a pain to deal with just to get some more BP

going through parts of the battle resort

This has to be one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. Went up against the same bulky umbreon in 3 DIFFERENT matches in a row. No way anyone at GameFreak actually put any serious thought into this. It's literally just stalling you out and "The RNG is real" situations on max.

It's so annoying.....It's just such a pain to deal with just to get some more BP

I got to the 48th battle once and an attack with 100% accuracy missed three times.

Never again!

Most certainly not. Quite clear when you see things like Lopunny burning itself with a flame orb (the set is designed for Klutz but abilities are randomised, potential Guts users also nerf themselves most the time in the same way).

As for raising BP. Make a triples team. In the other modes I've not made it much beyond the 50s, in triples I made it to 200+. Not 100% smooth sailing as I certainly had my fair share of close calls (as in ending with automatic center 1 on 1) using a team of Talonflame, Mega Blastoise, Greninja, Aegislash, Garchomp and Rotom-W. If you look at smogon (should mention the idea for the Talonflame, Mega Blastoise, Greninja core came from there) somebody got a streak of over 6000 in triples, in singles there are high streaks which are really slow attrition matches based on the classic Durant strategy.

Plus the AI gets more amusing in double and triples when you see things like one Pokemon using Yawn on you and the other Pokemon using Misty Terrain so the sleep doesn't happen, also trick room teams reversing their own trick room. Or the Snow Warning Amaura which can't decide between hail or sand and so has a weather war with itself. Then there is also the AI deciding it wants to use Wil-o-wisp but can't use it on your team so will then just burn a team mate instead.

ffdgh

When in doubt, megamom your way to victory!
Also special mention to choice scarfed serene grace blissey with rockslide in triples <3

noomi

Hey everyone...

So last night I decided to try out the omega/alpha demo on my new 3ds.... Admittedly this was my first time playing a pokemon game...ever......

I actually enjoyed quite a bit it for what it was, and it left me wanting more.

Now as someone who had never played a pokemon game in his life, is omega ruby a good starting point for me? Should I try the X/Y games first?

I feel a bit lost.

Muku

Hey everyone...

So last night I decided to try out the omega/alpha demo on my new 3ds.... Admittedly this was my first time playing a pokemon game...ever......

I actually enjoyed quite a bit it for what it was, and it left me wanting more.

Now as someone who had never played a pokemon game in his life, is omega ruby a good starting point for me? Should I try the X/Y games first?

I feel a bit lost.

Well, I prefer X and Y, but ORAS is a good starting point as well. There are many more legend arise to catch in it, although normal Pokemon I feel is lacking a bit for a while in it. But you could always go back and play X/Y after ORAS. I think either is fine to jump into really if you've never played a Pokemon game in your life. (If you get ORAS though, make sure to get a Sharpedo for that faster surfing though!)

entremet

Please explain. I understand Firestorm's hatred towards me. Hell, he once lied and said here that I blanked a young fan at a convention, but I don't get why you're highfiving his inaccurate statement.

I think there was a thread about during Pokemon Black and White's release and your site getting Japanese screenshots from a purported ROM.

At least that's what I remember. No idea if is true, but that was way before you were a member here. I think it was about Nintendo sending some sited C&D notices and your site was hit with one.

JoeM86

I think there was a thread about during Pokemon Black and White's release and your site getting Japanese screenshots from a purported ROM.

At least that's what I remember. No idea if is true, but that was way before you were a member here. I think it was about Nintendo sending some sited C&D notices and your site was hit with one.

I was hit with a cease and desist for publishing images leaked from an alpha version of the game. They wanted those images removed, but their lawyer was heavy handed.

backlot

Please explain. I understand Firestorm's hatred towards me. Hell, he once lied and said here that I blanked a young fan at a convention, but I don't get why you're highfiving his inaccurate statement.

Someone seems rather defensive about this. Are you pirating games right now?!

JoeM86

Someone seems rather defensive about this. Are you pirating games right now?!

No, of course not. I am just fed up with him taking shots at me all the time and trying to besmirch my name.

Him doing that with the bull that I am so arrogant that I blanked an 8 year old fan at a convention in the US years back (before Nationals last year I had never been able to make it to a Pokémon meet up, let alone out of the UK) was part of the reason I signed up here, because it annoyed me to no end.

I get that with me being in the position I am, that some aren't going to like me, but Firestorm has an absolute vendetta against me. I'm doing a search for that post that got me to join, not finding it yet, but have found so much bile from him against me from long before we even had conversed once.

entremet

I was hit with a cease and desist for publishing images leaked from an alpha version of the game. They wanted those images removed, but their lawyer was heavy handed.

I wasn't accusing you of anything. You weren't a member here so it was just one side of the story, but I do remember some posters mentioned you used a ROM.

Again, I have no idea, just letting you know where the piracy rumors come from.

Yeah, that whole thing about "you don't gain EXP at the beginning of Black and White" was just an accident, you see /s

(though I do love how that spawned no exp runs in other Pokemon games, now if it could be done in 6th gen that would be nice)

Firestorm

• The kid (now all growed up and in college!) might have misremembered who he spoke to. I will let him know he wasn't actually talking to you at JAA.
  • The piracy comment is to when you were reporting news from a ROM of the BW (that you couldn't gain experience at the beginning of BW which was an anti-piracy check)
  • I only make comments like that about you when you're on your holier-than-thou crusades and making up facts to fit your narrative
I don't hate you. I just think you're a delusional Nintendo fanboy and hold you in very little regard. I also think it's hypocritical that you go on those holier than thou crusades when:

• You've used information from pirated games for your site
  • A large amount of your information comes from the developers of RNG Reporter, PokeGen, PokeCheck, and the other tools you whine about being cheating tools as they develop said tools
As I think I've said before, my biggest issues with you have always been your lack of crediting sources. The reason I don't use your website is because that annoyed me and I can't stand your layout. I'm glad to hear you're trying to make it more usable.

In any case I'm way too lazy to figure out PowerSaves / Injections. I think you're more well-versed than me in that as someone in the #projectpokemon channel. I'm lazy enough that I usually use one team for an entire season. My current main team is all children of my 2012/2013 team :3

I think we can let this drop until the next time you bring up the same topic for the 20th time in the thread.

JoeM86

• The kid (now all growed up and in college!) might have misremembered who he spoke to. I will let him know he wasn't actually talking to you at JAA.

There's no "might", about it. How could I, a person who has never left the UK be at Journey Across America?

• I only make comments like that about you when you're on your holier-than-thou crusades and making up facts to fit your narrative

How can one make up facts? Facts are facts and I don't make anything up to "fit my narrative".

I don't hate you. I just think you're a delusional Nintendo fanboy and hold you in very little regard. I also think it's hypocritical that you go on those holier than thou crusades when:

• You've used information from pirated games for your site
  • A large amount of your information comes from the developers of RNG Reporter, PokeGen, PokeCheck, and the other tools you whine about being cheating tools as they develop said tools

Yes, those guys have provided extracted data for me on a few occasions. Have you tried manually doing these things? I did it with Pokémon X & Y and it was absolute hell. Complete and utter hell. They know I don't agree with their cheating applications, but information is different to those applications and it's not hypocritical.

Plus, every single site uses that data, too.

I'm also not a fanboy nor am I delusional.

As I think I've said before, my biggest issues with you have always been your lack of crediting sources. The reason I don't use your website is because that annoyed me and I can't stand your layout. I'm glad to hear you're trying to make it more usable.

I do credit sources. I always credit sources, in fact. When it's official site, I say so. If it's PR, then it's not given. If something has come from an external source to those, then I do, will and always have provided a link to them thank you very much. If it's a leak, however, such as with CoroCoro then of course I won't link to the person on Twitter who posted it or the 2ch thread (2ch has some dodgy ads, like hell I'm linking to those on my site that gets kids visit it)

I'm not a fanboy, nor am I delusional. But yes, let's drop it. Put me on your ignore list and we'll all be happy and these threads will stop going to hell.

Not trying to defend anyone, but to be fair, it's hard to avoid piracy when you're running a big unofficial site and you need some way to gather data or screenshots.

I don't think there's any ethical problems so long as you buy the actual games.

Besides, talking about piracy in public is never a smart subject (even if it is allowed by the TOS) : /

backlot

Yes, those guys have provided extracted data for me on a few occasions. Have you tried manually doing these things? I did it with Pokémon X & Y and it was absolute hell. Complete and utter hell. They know I don't agree with their cheating applications, but information is different to those applications and it's not hypocritical.

Plus, every single site uses that data, too.

Not only do you use hacker's data, but you use their excuses too!

Not only do you use hacker's data, but you use their excuses too!

Huh... I don't get it. Would you rather we have no data?

People have to get the data from somewhere and it's not like everybody who reads or publishes the data obtained from hacking tools is a hacker...

EDIT: Maybe I should just step out for a bit.

backlot

Huh... I don't get it. Would you rather we have no data?

People have to get the data from somewhere and it's not like everybody who reads or publishes the data obtained from hacking tools is a hacker...

EDIT: Maybe I should just step out for a bit.

I really don't care how he gets his info. I just thought it was funny how his excuses were "it's too hard to do without hacking" and "everyone else does it too".

Hegarol

There is a difference between cheating in official tournaments and hacking to extract every data from a game.

I also don't understand why you call Joe a fanboy. He definitely is a huge Nintendo and Pokemon fan. I don't think you can run a site like that without it ;) But why is that a negative thing? He isn't defending everything GF or Nintendo does and he certainly is allowed to state his opinion. It IS a fact that GF made it so much easier to get good IVs in the latest gen. Everyone can decide for themselves why they did it.

Azuran

Banned
Oh noes, who knew Nugget Bridge vs Serebii would be the war that leads to a major schism on the Pokemon community?

Smash and it's toxic Melee vs everything community will have nothing on us when it's a over!

DaBoss

Not trying to backseat mod here, but it would be best to drop the topic.

And I know people are tired of this crap. This is the umpteenth time it has been talked about. We all know the stances that people have. It will just continue on forever cause no one will agree.
I also don't understand why you call Joe a fanboy. He isn't defending everything GF or Nintendo does.
You should find out the history behind his tag. :p

Azuran

Banned

And I know people are tired of this crap. This is the umpteenth time it has been talked about. We all know the stances that people have. It will just continue on forever cause no one will agree.

He was playing Pokemon, got fucked over by Heat Wave missing, made a huge rant thread about it that scared everyone off and the rest is history?

I have no idea even thought I been wondering what it means for years now

JoeM86

He was playing Pokemon, got fucked over by Heat Wave missing, made a huge rant thread about it that scared everyone off and the rest is history?

I have no idea even thought I been wondering what it means for years now

Pikmin 3's launch in Japan. It did not go well. There was a heat wave in Japan and even though it was summer, it diverted a lot of custom away from places, including the Pokémon Center. I postulated that this was a possible factor in its less than stellar sales. People misinterpreted that into me saying it was all the heat wave's fault and used the Pokémon Center line against me :p

Oh noes, who knew Nugget Bridge vs Serebii would be the war that leads to a major schism on the Pokemon community?

Smash and it's toxic Melee vs everything community will have nothing on us when it's a over!

I have no issue with Nugget Bridge :)

Absolutely agreed! Let's move on.

New topic of conversation:

The other day I was thinking, if we were to get another 20 Mega Evolutions in whatever game will round off Generation VI, then we'll be ending the generation with 72 new Pokémon, 68 Mega Evolutions and 2 Primal Reversions (they're Megas, let's just accept that :p). Decent amount, considering Mega Evolutions require the same amount of design and balance as Pokémon do. They're new Pokémon in all but number.

Oswen

The other day I was thinking, if we were to get another 20 Mega Evolutions in whatever game will round off Generation VI, then we'll be ending the generation with 72 new Pokémon, 68 Mega Evolutions and 2 Primal Reversions (they're Megas, let's just accept that :p). Decent amount, considering Mega Evolutions require the same amount of design and balance as Pokémon do. They're new Pokémon in all but number.

I wonder how they' plan to handle megas in future generation, that is going to be a lot of megastones to code in.
Will they get their inventory slots? Will they eventually remove the stones with Mega Rayquaza being a test for it? I'm curious to see what happens.

Another thing though, how will the pokemon bank work with future generations since it's supposed to be used forever for here on, are we going to be able to transfer a 'mon back to gen VI with it? That would be the first time a transferred pokemon could go backward through generations.
Actually I think you could trade between G/S and R/B however there were probably restrictions, it's been a long time and I don't quite remember well.

On an unrelated note, I menaged to breed a "perfect" Jolly Sheer Force Totodile.
I was planning to go for the classic DD/Waterfall/Ice Punch build however i was wondering what to put in the last slot between EQ and Crunch, the first one is great coverage while the latter gets boosted by Sheer Force and hits hard Jellicent and co. Any suggestions?

JoeM86

I wonder how they' plan to handle megas in future generation, that is going to be a lot of megastones to code in.
Will they get their inventory slots? Will they eventually remove the stones with Mega Rayquaza being a test for it? I'm curious to see what happens.

Yeah, I too wonder that. If they keep adding with each game, they're going to run out fast and they'll be less special and the item amounts would be ridiculous.

I expect generation 5 to be screwed over Mega-wise again in the next game. *sigh* I'm also going to guess that none of my favourite Pokemon will get Megas again.

Gorillaz

lol, this is why you should always be careful with Intimidate:

PU8W-WWWW-WWXY-8S9P

Milotic <3

Imma be real with yall

Milotic is the bae/MVP for my squad. Bulky as hell and can take at least one hit from electric/grass moves (unboosted)

when that competitive trait goes off from a intimidate user
YlVGJ.png

Firestorm

I expect generation 5 to be screwed over Mega-wise again in the next game. *sigh* I'm also going to guess that none of my favourite Pokemon will get Megas again.
I honestly can see them to dumping the concept given the
alternate universe hints that were dropped in the post-game
. Items can't be transferred through Bank so it's easy to kill.

I wouldn't mind too much I guess but I really liked how they did some of the Megas. Outside of making Pokemon like Charizard and Kangaskhan viable, the ability to change your Pokémon's ability during battle was a really cool mechanic. Manectric for example could be used for Lightningrod support before switching to Intimidate support + damage. Mawile could be used for Intimidate support before switching to Huge Power for cleanup. Even Charizard could keep Sun down for a turn or so with Protect to check for say Mega T-Tar or Rain Dance on Thundurus/Politoed/etc before Mega Evolving.

It's one of the reasons I disagree with people who say that Pokemon should have just been given a third evolution.

Azuran

Banned
Imma be real with yall

Milotic is the bae/MVP for my squad. Bulky as hell and can take at least one hit from electric/grass moves (unboosted)

when that competitive trait goes off from a intimidate user
YlVGJ.png

Truly the greatest of all time. Suicune who?

Nice. Ah, should've known
it was double Intimidate

I was thinking of running Competitive Milotic with Mirror Coat, but now I feel like I'm stealing everyone's ideas : P

Suicune's been my recent MVP though. In my last battle, he took down 2 Pokemon and brought down a 3rd to 1 HP before kicking the bucket (would've been funny if Scald inflicted a Burn).

Azuran

Banned
Nice. Ah, should've known
it was double Intimidate

I was thinking of running Competitive Milotic with Mirror Coat, but now I feel like I'm stealing everyone's ideas : P

Suicune's been my recent MVP though. In my last battle, he took down 2 Pokemon and brought down a 3rd to 1 HP before kicking the bucket (would've been funny if Scald inflicted a Burn).

We don't mind. Feel free to join the Milotic fun!

I was running Suicune for a while as well but even thought he was really clutch in some matches with his godly defenses, there were other times he just wasn't strong enough to deal a KO which always ended up coming back to bite me. It's okay thought, he'll always be in my heart when he's not part of any of my teams.

I wonder if mega evolutions could become like weather; only lasting a certain number of turns. Weather is still important but it isn't the weather wars it used to be.

It would be odd for Mega evolutions to become like Gems and get largely exiled. I don't think they'll go down without a fight given the marketing and merchendise push behind them now.

The whole bag needs a revamp really. Pokeball pocket would be nice too rather than most stuff pocket we have now (hold items, pokeballs, mulch and whatever else I forgot). I do prefer the idea of a single megastone that you then unlock the Pokemon to use with it though.

I'm not too hot on mega with any hold items though even if you could try to balance it by weird choices for prerequisite moves like I don't know Hurricane for Pidgeot (as it isn't a mega really seen much it can have its main move) and erm, Inferno for Charizard-Y (effectively giving it a massive handicap by making it a 3 move Pokemon).

Top Bottom