• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Syntsui

Late reply but WG can be used consecutively. Think it's the only protection move that can

Edit: I thought you guys were talking about King's Shield. BTW Wide Guard can be used in succession like every protection move, but it's accuracy is halved every time. What happened was pretty much bullshity hax.

entremet

Does anyone here have a Ghastly/Haunter they'd be willing to trade to my ORAS game? It can just be one caught in the wild, I don't mind. I didn't realize they weren't in the game.

I can breed you one quickly. You want a Ghastly so don't have trade evolve it? It will evolve into a Gengar as you get it.

I'll on available tonight after 10PM EDT.

Muku

It's just sad. I tend not to care overly too much about what the game gives me as I can just breed it for the HA, but that was just so sad. Just accepted him and moved on. Never liked Meganium much, but damn. That was all kinds of depressing.

Really says it all about Meganium. Even the game is self aware.

LOL.

Edit: Finally got around to hatching the egg I got from the Mega Tokyo Pokemon Center few days before I left. I got a Swablu! Yay. :D

TomShoe

Banned
So my Pokemon club is doing a trainer tournament, where we all have to choose a trainer from the anime or manga and use their team ('mons only, stats are free). Any ideas on who can give me a pretty competitive team?

Daemul

Daemul is correct for the most part. The ones who make policy decisions on Smogon have been biased towards stall for a long time.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. Whenever I speak of Smogon I'm usually talking about those in positions of influence, not the average user, I should have made myself clearer on that front.

Daemul

Currently playing though Pokemon XY. I got to the fireworks scene with Shauna, and I was like "Wut?". Then I got given the Protect TM afterwards....

yzy4yqoh.gif

Nintendo pls...I don't wanna go to jail....

Daemul

Would you
?

alfred-nevah.gif

She look's like a squirrel, not to mention, Yancy(Nancy) is still my number one. I gotta stay loyal :p

Whilst we're on this topic, anyone else notice the subtle addition of some romance aspects into the Pokemon games? First with YancyxNate and CurtisxRosa in BW2, then between Shauna and Calem in X&Y, and I've been told some stuff is teased between May and Brendan in ORAS.

It is subtle enough that it can fly under the radar of the ratings board but obvious enough for people tuned in to pick up on it. GameFreak playing the ratings board like a damn fiddle.

Gorillaz

Yea oras laid it on thick alot more eith the may and Brendan thing. Especially in delta episode.

Gamefreak out here playing matchmaker

entremet

Yea oras laid it on thick alot more eith the may and Brendan thing. Especially in delta episode.

Gamefreak out here playing matchmaker

I honestly forget.

I need to replay it when I get my digital OR version. AS is my Living Dex, team building, breeding copy.

Daemul

I came across my first ever Mega Lopunny in Showdown a couple of minutes ago. I had heard of it but I never seen it's design, and I gotta say, GF are really going all the way with this Playboy Bunny theme for her, eh?
KuGsj.gif

Mega Lopunny gives off a huge 80's fitness dancer vibe though. Once seen it cannot be unseen.

entremet

I came across my first ever Mega Lopunny in Showdown a couple of minutes ago. I had heard of it but I never seen it's design, and I gotta say, GF are really going all the way with this Playboy Bunny theme for her, eh?
KuGsj.gif

Mega Lopunny gives off a huge 80's fitness dancer vibe though. Once seen it cannot be unseen.

Were you playing Doubles? Mega Lopunny is actually pretty awesome in that format. Scrappy Fake Out is great to threaten Gengar.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just hatched a shiny Dratini while breeding my competitive team.

I'm tempted to use it, even though it only has 4 perfect IVs. Decisions, decisions...

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Talk to the IV Judge in the Battle Resort.

I guess I could have been clearer. I'd like to know if there's a way to find out the exact value of the IV, or at least be able to narrow it down, while it's still Level 1. I already know about the IV judge--that's how I know Special Defense isn't perfect.

EDIT: Figured out a way. I was able to narrow it down by having a level 50 battle with myself. It's either 18 or 19.

Still trying to decide if that's good enough...

JoeM86

We're also following Smogon rules, so no Darkrai :^)

Smogon rules limit you a bit.

Could go with Ash's Sinnoh team:

Light Ball Pikachu
Infernape
Torterra
Staraptor
Gliscor
Buizel

Or Cameron's team (even though he is a point of contention)

Lucario
Samurott
Ferrothorn
Hydreigon
Swanna
Watchog

Well there's loads of choices really.

Daemul

What is up with ghosts in Pokemon games? I just came across the ghost in X & Y and it freaked me the hell out. I wonder whether we'll ever find out what happened to her, or whether GF will leave us in the dark like they did with the Old Chateau ghosts in Sinnoh, though it is somewhat implied that they were poisoned due to the antidote bottle you can find in the bin.

Nothing beats the story of the ghost girl who appeared in Unova though. In BW we see her pop up on Marvelous Bridge, where she then disappears when you approach her, freaking out the npc standing next to her lol. The old lady at the entrance to Marvelous Bridge then tells us about a girl with an Abra who used to play at the site of the Bridge before it was built, but she stopped coming there once it was completed. I thought that was the last we'd hear of her, but boy was I wrong.

In BW2 we can enter a Strange House, where the same girl pops up. You see her crying out for her mother, father, and her Abra, and you can hear her talking about an "endless dark dream". Then, when you enter the final room and find the Lunar Wing, the girl reveals she's been protecting it, before giving it to you return to the Pokemon it belongs to, before she then disappears for good. The implications of all this being? She was killed by a Darkrai.

The Lunar Wing that you find is obviously tied to Cresselia, which is the only Pokémon known to counteract the effects of the Pokémon Darkrai's nightmare-inducing abilities. Now, knowing about Darkrai and how he causes dark dreams, we can deduce that she fell victim to Darkrai and his nightmares, and even though she could have been saved by the Lunar Wing, it is implied that Darkrai tricked her out of it by pretending to be her father and asking her to forget about the Wing and stay with him in the nightmare.

The sad part is that after she died, the girl went back to the Marvelous Bridge to try and give the Lunar Wing back to Cresselia. She must've stood there for years, waiting for Cresselia to come. Ah well, at least she can rest now.

RIP young girl.

Lopunny or Gardevoir. I wonder which one has more fanart out there.

Lord knows, and I don't wanna know lol. I understand that Pokemon are sapient and are thus self aware and able to give consent, but it's still feels a bit weird. Ah well, people can like what they want, it's not for me to judge.
Were you playing Doubles? Mega Lopunny is actually pretty awesome in that format. Scrappy Fake Out is great to threaten Gengar.

Yeah, doubles. Mega Lopunny is so good, she can kick those Ghost Pokemon right of the ring.

Just a steel town girl on a Saturday night
Looking for the fight of her life

I kid you not, this song goes through my mind whenever I see Mega Lopunny.

Muku

I think they like ghost stories or something. Though the one recently where you get off elevator on 2nd or was it 3rd floor and the ghost is there kind of scared me when I first saw it.

I actually like reading about the ghost stories and other bits of lore and stuff from the games. Things I never paid much attention to originally or just kind of missed.

Edit: This last Shaymin .... rawr. Been going at this all weekend. I've gotten approx 2 Modest and 3 Timid (2 Timid this morning) during it all. Each time they're at the bottom of the pits for what I'm getting the nature for. Need this damn thing to stop sucking so I can get some Fennekin. - Holy hell. Complaining worked. I shoulda done that earlier. :x Two SRs later... 27 - 31 / 0 - 6 / 31 / 27 - 31 / 27 - 31 / 27 - 31. Will have to take it to IV dude to see how it stacks up, but Imma take it.

Looks like it came out at 27 - 30 / 1 - 6 / 31 / 31 / 27 - 30 / 31. Wish Attack really had come out at 0.

Edit: This last Shaymin .... rawr. Been going at this all weekend. I've gotten approx 2 Modest and 3 Timid (2 Timid this morning) during it all. Each time they're at the bottom of the pits for what I'm getting the nature for. Need this damn thing to stop sucking so I can get some Fennekin. - Holy hell. Complaining worked. I shoulda done that earlier. :x Two SRs later... 27 - 31 / 0 - 6 / 31 / 27 - 31 / 27 - 31 / 27 - 31. Will have to take it to IV dude to see how it stacks up, but Imma take it.

Looks like it came out at 27 - 30 / 1 - 6 / 31 / 31 / 27 - 30 / 31. Wish Attack really had come out at 0.
Whoa, nice : D

I ended up with a 30/xx/31/31/31/31 Bold myself and I don't have a spare game to try for another one.

I really want a legit Darkrai. Seems like a fun Pokemon to play around with.

Do you have a PAL 3DS? I have one spare Darkrai from the GAME UK event.

Indeed. Dark Void + Dream Eater + Nightmare is an absolute nightmare.

Hmm, I'm struggling to find a partner for Rayquaza in the Dragon Cup. Maybe I should go with Darkrai? I have a pretty nice Naive one that took a few resets.

Was originally going to go with White Kyurem, but I'm afraid of all the potential Fairy and Steel types.

Well, I'm not planning to be battle too seriously, but I don't want to do it half-hearted either XD

Muku

I ended up with a 30/xx/31/31/31/31 Bold myself and I don't have a spare game to try for another one.

Nice! This was the last one to SR for my trade bait. I now have 20 Shaymin sitting in Pokebank for trade now. :D Think that last one may be best one out of the batch. I have to set up some games to be played/played through again due to farming, ugh. Still have my Victini/Keldeo/Shaymin to farm. Might start them this week. Gotta set up JPN Y for a play through again since I sacked it for Shiny Rayquaza farming. But want to set up JPN Y, JPN AS (with scrap codes claimed), and then go back to farming US AS and hope for best. I guess worse come to worse I wipe JPN AS again if need be LOL. Going to pass Eon Ticket to my other games before I do that though if it comes down to it.

JoeM86

Hmm, I'm struggling to find a partner for Rayquaza in the Dragon Cup. Maybe I should go with Darkrai? I have a pretty nice Naive one that took a few resets.

Was originally going to go with White Kyurem, but I'm afraid of all the potential Fairy and Steel types.

Well, I'm not planning to be battle too seriously, but I don't want to do it half-hearted either XD

I think we're going to see a lot of Darkrai, Mega Diancie and Mega Rayquaza in this competition. As such, we're also going to see a lot of other things.

I'm just going to go in with the Abomasnow/Machamp combo I tested on stream last. Got some new combos I'm going to test on my next stream too

I think we're going to see a lot of Darkrai, Mega Diancie and Mega Rayquaza in this competition. As such, we're also going to see a lot of other things.

I'm just going to go in with the Abomasnow/Machamp combo I tested on stream last. Got some new combos I'm going to test on my next stream too

Aha, I gotcha.

I'd use Mega Diancie too just because it's a rare opportunity and one of my favourites, but I haven't been too lucky with my SRing. (I must have started nearly 6 months ago? No I do not need another flawless Jolly.)

That and I wouldn't be able to Mega Evolve Rayquaza in the same match. Or maybe I could have Ray as the Air Lock 'mon instead.

entremet

Do you have a PAL 3DS? I have one spare Darkrai from the GAME UK event.

That's super nice of you, but I'm in North America.:/

Nintendo and their silly region locking.

JoeM86

Aha, I gotcha.

I'd use Mega Diancie too just because it's a rare opportunity and one of my favourites, but I haven't been too lucky with my SRing. (I must have started nearly 6 months ago? No I do not need another flawless Jolly.)

That and I wouldn't be able to Mega Evolve Rayquaza in the same match. Or maybe I could have Ray as the Air Lock 'mon instead.

One of my absolute joys is if I bring a team of Mega Evolvution capable Pokémon into the fold, ones who often require strategy changes when they Mega Evolve, and don't Mega Evolve a single one just to mess with people. As such, people will be expecting your Rayquaza to Mega Evolve, so you can abuse that.

One of my absolute joys is if I bring a team of Mega Evolvution capable Pokémon into the fold, ones who often require strategy changes when they Mega Evolve, and don't Mega Evolve a single one just to mess with people. As such, people will be expecting your Rayquaza to Mega Evolve, so you can abuse that.
That's almost mean XD

I was thinking for a while and it might be a nice setup. Just need to think of an alternative strategy for scenarios where I don't want to Mega Evolve Diancie.

But first, I just need the RNG to co-operate. Was just SRing for a bit after lunch and I got a flawless special attacker spread... but neutral nature D:

That's super nice of you, but I'm in North America.:/

Nintendo and their silly region locking.
That's fine, I was just checking in case I can offer you the better option.

I'll send you a PM anyway.

I would be interested. What could I offer you in return? :)

Do you have a legit/uncloned Meloetta by any chance? I've been really unlucky with getting legit ones. Or a Plasma Deoxys.

Daemul

Wait, was that you? Someone pulled this exact stunt on me a few days ago and it completely threw me off. I have never been trolled in such a way in my life.

JoeM86

Wait, was that you? Someone pulled this exact stunt on me a few days ago and it completely threw me off. I have never been trolled in such a way in my life.

Haven't done it in a while. Working on a team for Nationals like that, in case my weird strategies don't pan out. Some have done well, others not as well, so we shall see.

That's almost mean XD

Most people are just thrown by me having a team of Pokémon you almost never see. They never know what I'm doing with them. My usual two leads have done amazingly well in messing with people, even though they don't do anything specifically gimmicky.

Then there's my Malamar. I hardly ever have a team without my Malamar anymore. The thing is an utter beast.

My teams are often called "anti-anti-metagame" teams by the people I face. I just call them wacky. I don't always win with them, and that's fine. I'd rather lose trying something experimental than win using something standard.

entremet

Haven't done it in a while. Working on a team for Nationals like that, in case my weird strategies don't pan out. Some have done well, others not as well, so we shall see.

Most people are just thrown by me having a team of Pokémon you almost never see. They never know what I'm doing with them. My usual two leads have done amazingly well in messing with people, even though they don't do anything specifically gimmicky.

Then there's my Malamar. I hardly ever have a team without my Malamar anymore. The thing is an utter beast.

My teams are often called "anti-anti-metagame" teams by the people I face. I just call them wacky
Malamar is hard to get going though due to its low defenses. It gets knocked before out getting started on the Superpower boosts.

entremet

You'd think, but it serves me well and often gets going. It has helped turn the tide of many battles

Yeah. I just wish it had a bit more bulk. Not too much, then it would be OP, but if you set up Superpower boosting, it can become very tough to deal with.

I'm tempted to use Mega Diancie just so I can counter those damned Dark Void spammers (And MRay maybe?). I try not use legendaries though. It just feels so much more satisfying winning matches without relying on them

Top Bottom