• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Hahaha. I was going to use a Skyform Shaymin in Enter the Dragon Type. Got the moves all setup, got a Life Orb and then realized it reverts when you put it in the Battle Box If I was taking this seriously instead of only playing to get Aumaura I'd be really annoyed right now.

JoeM86

Made the mistake of focusing on my Rayquaza too much that I didn't think about the other Pokémon in my squad. Not doing well :(

There were a lot fewer Mega Ray's floating around than I expected. A surprising amount of Mixed Rays and some very odd choices (I ran into a Fairy bait team (pure dragon with a Hydreigon)).

ZServ

Sorry for jumping in with a random question, but is there a reason I can't use my gen 5 pokes in rated battles on ORAS? That was when I first got into "real" battling, and now I can't use my old favorites :(

Edit: worth noting I bred them myself, their legitimacy is not in question

JoeM86

Sorry for jumping in with a random question, but is there a reason I can't use my gen 5 pokes in rated battles on ORAS? That was when I first got into "real" battling, and now I can't use my old favorites :(

Edit: worth noting I bred them myself, their legitimacy is not in question

To try and block hacked Pokémon and reset the metagame without people using moves from events over a decade old, they instituted a policy of only allowing things created in Generation VI. Unfortunately, it backfired when people found ways to hack in Gen VI

To try and block hacked Pokémon and reset the metagame without people using moves from events over a decade old, they instituted a policy of only allowing things created in Generation VI. Unfortunately, it backfired when people found ways to hack in Gen VI

I remain a little surprised they haven't countered the event stuff by introducing tutors or expanding the move relearner capabilities for those pokemon. It seems like a much more effective way of putting things on a level playing field (and the Silliness of Victini's signature move V-create being not only Event only but found on Rayquaza's would go away).

JoeM86

I remain a little surprised they haven't countered the event stuff by introducing tutors or expanding the move relearner capabilities for those pokemon. It seems like a much more effective way of putting things on a level playing field (and the Silliness of Victini's signature move V-create being not only Event only but found on Rayquaza's would go away).

Giving tutors for event moves completely removes the point of event only moves

Giving tutors for event moves completely removes the point of event only moves

Event only moves from a decade ago you're struggling to have a metagame involving seem like a reasonable exception. And I'm a puzzled by event only signature moves like V-create on a "Why?!" level but that's a separate issue.

JoeM86

Event only moves from a decade ago you're struggling to have a metagame involving seem like a reasonable exception. And I'm a puzzled by event only signature moves like V-create on a "Why?!" level but that's a separate issue.

Most of the people with those moves just cheated though. It won't happen, ever. It helps keep those events special.

Anyway, turned things around with the competition so far. I'm at 5-2 now. Hawlucha is seeming to be my MVP this competition. It has handled legendaries such as Xerneas and Kyogre with ease.

Edit: Ended at 7-3. Made a silly mistake in my final match which let a Scolipede set itself up and get decent damage on me.

Hahaha. I was going to use a Skyform Shaymin in Enter the Dragon Type. Got the moves all setup, got a Life Orb and then realized it reverts when you put it in the Battle Box If I was taking this seriously instead of only playing to get Aumaura I'd be really annoyed right now.

What the... I was going to use it too, but I SR'd a flawless Bold instead of a Timid. Well, I was going to use it for fun battles too, but that's a shame...

Also, my team still isn't ready for the dragon cup, but I guess there's still some time to train.

Currently got Rayquaza, Diancie and (Level 1) Milotic. Any suggestions for a fourth Pokemon? Was thinking Bisharp maybe to counter some fairies/dragons and counter Intimidate with Milotic.

JoeM86

What the... I was going to use it too, but I SR'd a flawless Bold instead of a Timid. Well, I was going to use it for fun battles too, but that's a shame...

Also, my team still isn't ready for the dragon cup, but I guess there's still some time to train.

Currently got Rayquaza, Diancie and (Level 1) Milotic. Any suggestions for a fourth Pokemon? Was thinking Bisharp maybe to counter some fairies/dragons and counter Intimidate with Milotic.

Sunflora :)

That is lame as fused Kyurem does not revert.

Remember to level up Milotic (otherwise it will be level 1). The metagame is very varied and there is a rift with have/have nots in regards to using uber. Plus with the whole bring 4 only makes it hard to make a balanced team (as you pick the 4 most suitable of the 6 normally)

I'd be inclined to use some sort of support and Thundurus could be good. You can taunt many setup (unless mental herb holding) or dark void (though you have M-Diancie to reflect that) problems away and you could always roll the dice with good old swagger plus prankster thunder wave is all kinds of annoying to deal with (especially if you have a threat on the field).

But if you're more comfortable with offensive pressure from Bisharp (Sucker Punch is good stuff) go with that as I just don't know how good support can be.

No matter what you do some games will before turn 1 really.

Speaking of which I notice my locked battle box has some moveset errors. I really wanted something to have thunder wave for backup speed control.

Remember to level up Milotic (otherwise it will be level 1). The metagame is very varied and there is a rift with have/have nots in regards to using uber. Plus with the whole bring 4 only makes it hard to make a balanced team (as you pick the 4 most suitable of the 6 normally)

I'd be inclined to use some sort of support and Thundurus could be good. You can taunt many setup (unless mental herb holding) or dark void (though you have M-Diancie to reflect that) problems away and you could always roll the dice with good old swagger plus prankster thunder wave is all kinds of annoying to deal with (especially if you have a threat on the field).

But if you're more comfortable with offensive pressure from Bisharp (Sucker Punch is good stuff) go with that as I just don't know how good support can be.

No matter what you do some games will before turn 1 really.

Speaking of which I notice my locked battle box has some moveset errors. I really wanted something to have thunder wave for backup speed control.

Oh yeah, I made sure to them Level Up my Pokes. I had some spare time (tried to watch the eclipse, but too cloudy) so I got Milotic and Bisharp to Level 100 through the Blissey Bases XD

Thanks, I'll try Thundurus next time. Always wanted to try the genies, but I don't have any comp ones right now (I did RNG a shiny Landorus a while back, but it was for a trade). I assume he's pretty much Zapdos with Prankster? o___o

Bisharp's doing well for me so far, although I'm not smart enough to use Sucker Punch, so that feels like a wasted slot.

Also, I seem to have done slightly better than Joe so far. 8 matches and all of them wins so far. My team doesn't seem that great either; I had two mock battles with a friend and got wiped out. (Or maybe he was too good; he did get into Top 32 in nationals last year.)

Pretty sure I just got lucky and/or matched with low-end players.

dragoncup8.png

BTW, here's one of my tougher battles: Youtube

I'm 2-2 so far and the wins are fairly bad opponents*.

I also made yet more moveset mistakes. It turns out me first does not copy support moves (it failed vs rock polish Groudon, I suppose it would make snatch largely obsolete if it did copy) which I guess also means it won't copy dark void which was really my point of using that slot (I thought it would be really clever). But I've not met a Darkrai yet. Yeah, I should have just used swagger on this Talonflame or brave bird to actually have an attacking move.

*-How bad; let's say fairy Arceus with shadow force and roar of time which I did use me first against (dragon type vs. fairy :( ). Plus they had a metagross with metal claw (once it was burned it was doing nothing, not even switching out), a Rayquaza which didn't mega evolve and a Blaziken which did and got KOd with a me first blaze kick (after being taken to the red via Earth power). The other opponent was okay.

Most interesting opponent was Gravity Meowstic and Iron Tail Rayquaza. Meowstic shut me down with thunder wave so I didn't get to see the rest of the team so whatever Uxie and Kyogre do.

That is possible. My understanding was the match making tries to match even players but if there few players available it will match anyone which can be a problem for low end players if they keep being matched up with much stronger opponents who just take the 2 points they get and move on.

backlot

Oh yeah, I made sure to them Level Up my Pokes. I had some spare time (tried to watch the eclipse, but too cloudy) so I got Milotic and Bisharp to Level 100 through the Blissey Bases XD

Thanks, I'll try Thundurus next time. Always wanted to try the genies, but I don't have any comp ones right now (I did RNG a shiny Landorus a while back, but it was for a trade). I assume he's pretty much Zapdos with Prankster? o___o

Bisharp's doing well for me so far, although I'm not smart enough to use Sucker Punch, so that feels like a wasted slot.

Also, I seem to have done slightly better than Joe so far. 8 matches and all of them wins so far. My team doesn't seem that great either; I had two mock battles with a friend and got wiped out. (Or maybe he was too good; he did get into Top 32 in nationals last year.)

dragoncup8.png

Kind of. Thundurus focuses on throwing out Thunderwave, Taunt and Swagger with Prankster while Zapdos's niche is being a bit bulkier and having access to Tailwind and Roost.

JoeM86

dragoncup8.png

I hadn't realised the synergy my team already had in the first few matches, which is why I lost the first two I had. Then it twigged and boom. Nice team though :) I do like these random changes they give Battle Competitions...changes the metagame from what we expect a lot of the time. I personally want a pure Bug-type one.

Though I'm probably going to lose all mine tomorrow (if I have time to compete, lots of errands to run).

Muku

Wait, I can't even trade Jirachi, Victini, or Keldeo?
Ugh, I'll never get Mew or Arceus.

Can't GTS trade for them no. They're event Pokemon which prevents them from being traded that way. Though, haven't done any random trades with folks lately on the PSS, but you can trade them manually like that. Or of course can always ask if folks have any extras here they're willing to part with.

Really wish they'd release Mew Stateside some kind of way.

JoeM86

Can't GTS trade for them no. They're event Pokemon which prevents them from being traded that way. Though, haven't done any random trades with folks lately on the PSS, but you can trade them manually like that. Or of course can always ask if folks have any extras here they're willing to part with.

Really wish they'd release Mew Stateside some kind of way.

Give it a year. Would be very surprised if we don't get a Mew around the 20th

ZServ

Wait, I can't even trade Jirachi, Victini, or Keldeo?
Ugh, I'll never get Mew or Arceus.

Are you going for a living dex or just completed pokedex? If not a living dex, you can totally borrow my Arceus.

Unrelated: So, I'm breeding Honedge's. I managed to get a Quiet Honedge with 31/31/31/31/31/4-5. Obv. the speed should be 0, but should I say screw it and just keep this guy? I mean, I don't have any 0 speedsters to test with so I'd have to pray to RNGesus for a speed baddy.

Muku

Give it a year. Would be very surprised if we don't get a Mew around the 20th

20th of what?

I'd love to finally get my own Mew. Yeah, maybe you can trade for one (if legit) but I like getting them through events. Still remember getting some older event legendaries I have. In fact, actually decided to use Genesect in my Black play through.

I worry they'll do something silly to get it though too. I would walk all over the city to go where ever they were having it though if I had to. Not like I'm not used to walking. Only issue in States is lack of sidewalks at times. XD I'm too used to walking everywhere. (Yeah, in neighborhoods in Japan you didn't have sidewalks and all, but folks were used to pedestrians sharing road in that case.)

BasilZero

I just caught Groudon and about to fight the 8th gym leader.

Loving the game so far. But its not clicking me as much as X/Y did when I first played it - possibly because it hasnt really been a year since I played X/Y ;p along with that I just finished Emerald on GBA like few months ago lmao.

But my love for the 3rd gen of Pokemon got me to get dis game.

Loving it!

JoeM86

20th of what?

I'd love to finally get my own Mew. Yeah, maybe you can trade for one (if legit) but I like getting them through events. Still remember getting some older event legendaries I have. In fact, actually decided to use Genesect in my Black play through.

I worry they'll do something silly to get it though too. I would walk all over the city to go where ever they were having it though if I had to. Not like I'm not used to walking. Only issue in States is lack of sidewalks at times. XD I'm too used to walking everywhere. (Yeah, in neighborhoods in Japan you didn't have sidewalks and all, but folks were used to pedestrians sharing road in that case.)

Anniversary, coming in February. Logic dictates that we'll get the first Mew event in 6 years around then :)

Busaiku

Are you going for a living dex or just completed pokedex? If not a living dex, you can totally borrow my Arceus.

Actually, Zserv has a good question. For a living dex or just to own?

Going for a living Pokedex, thanks for the offer though.
Anniversary, coming in February. Logic dictates that we'll get the first Mew event in 6 years around then :)
Logic also dictates that Pokemon International should try to make more Japanese-only event Pokemon available to international players, but who knows with this company.

Muku

Going for a living Pokedex, thanks for the offer though.

Logic also dictates that Pokemon International should try to make more Japanese-only event Pokemon available to international players, but who knows with this company.

Living? Hmmm, going to send you a PM.

Agreed. I'd love to see some of the stuff makes its way. Over don't matter so much but things would be awesome.

JoeM86

If more places were willing to hold events, then we'd have more events.

We get practically all the important ones. The ones we don't get are either a) ridiculously minor, or b) would lose all form of context when brought over.

Distributions don't exist to give Pokémon, but rather are a special bonus for attending events, special shows etc. and as such, many (Sing Piplup in Gen V for example) would not make any contextual sense, and that's why we don't get them.

Kssio_Aug

Allright, I have just bought Pokemon Omega Ruby!
It was a hard decision, since I was between this one or the near release Bloodborne.

Since I'm not having that much time to play, and since I'm looking forward to play some new pokemon by a long time, I've chosen this one because I think it will not recquire from me the same dedication as a Souls game does, and I can play and go back to it a time later without feeling lost.

Hopefully I won't regret!

Busaiku

If more places were willing to hold events, then we'd have more events.

We get practically all the important ones. The ones we don't get are either a) ridiculously minor, or b) would lose all form of context when brought over.

Distributions don't exist to give Pokémon, but rather are a special bonus for attending events, special shows etc. and as such, many (Sing Piplup in Gen V for example) would not make any contextual sense, and that's why we don't get them.

They could easily come up with new things to deal with the market.
For instance, Pokemon Center stuff in Japan is done in life, in the US, they can hand out codes with orders you place on the site.
They could give you birthday Pokemon if you subscribe to Pokemon Bank and have a Global Link account, etc.

Muku

They could easily come up with new things to deal with the market.
For instance, Pokemon Center stuff in Japan is done in life, in the US, they can hand out codes with orders you place on the site.
They could give you birthday Pokemon if you subscribe to Pokemon Bank and have a Global Link account, etc.

It would mean they have to put thought into it. :( I'd love the birthday Pokemon though. Going to miss that.

Some things, like Tanabata Jirachi doesn't make sense, but doesn't mean they can't find another way to get some things out. I still don't see how they can't work flying/surfing Pikachu. I'm still not entirely sure why last summer Pikachu took over Yokohama. But fact all of them (sans female one if I recall right) had Surf which was awesome. Just feel like they don't try. And maybe you could say places don't want to host things, that might be true, but also feel like the amount of places that could be asked has dwindled over time since things like KB has left, and GameStop has gobbled up all the stinkin' video game stores known to man that used to exist.

StoneFox

Been having fun lately with a random Battlespot Doubles team of Ninetales, Flareon, Pikachu and Leafeon.

Things I've learned from this :p

Flareon can OHKO a full HP Lapras in the sun with Flare Blitz
Flash Fire is super easy to get with Heat Wave
Leaf Guard Leafeon is actually a counter to Darkrai in a way xP
Sweet Kiss/Nuzzle/Fake Out Pikachu is hilarious
Pikachu can survive a Rock Slide from a maxed attack invested Garchomp lol

I win a surprising amount of unranked matches but I haven't dared try using this in ranked. It's certainly fun to beat a team of legendaries with though. :3

Azuran

Banned
Oh man, I got fifth in the latest Premier Challenge in Toronto after ending the swiss round in first. It's just too bad I had to choke on top cut, but I'm happy nonetheless considering it was only my second Pokemon tournament ever. Needless to say, it was fun as hell so I see why people love traveling to those events. I also got my first ever championship points. It feels like I'm part of the Pokemon elite now :p

I can't nickname Pokemon. Ever.

it's also one of my peeves when doing wonder trades lol.

Same here. The only time I ever did that was when I was playing through a random version of Pokémon Crystal last year, before I bought X/Y. Had a Miltank called Pink Panzer, a Victreebel called Glory Hole, stuff like that.

For "serious" play, though: no nicknames. I received a shiny 6IV Mismagius in Wonder Trade and it is called Gandalf. Not being able to rename it almost killed me.

Muku

Speaking of events, Germany is to get a shiny Charizard next month

Well, least one of the shinies recently given out in Japan is making it over I guess. (Prefer the 'zard over the 'chu to make it in any case.) Hope it comes out Stateside though. :(

9-3 in the dragon tournament so far.

I love it when Milotic forces Salamence out with Competitive, only for them to come back in later and trigger it again XD

StoneFox

Any tips for using Cradily in VGC? I'm thinking of running an infestation set.
I'm not sure if you want an offensive or defensive one, but Cradily has access to Recover and can tank a lot of super effective hits with investment into its special defense; Stockpile can help a defensive Cradily as well. It's super slow though, so rock slide flinching is pretty much out of the question with the amount of teams using tailwind, but infestation + toxic might be hilarious. And Giga Drain for extra healing just because you can. :p

I would try to get one with Storm Drain over Suction Cups.

Top Bottom