• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

yami4ct

We're in a battle, and you've just KOed one of my Pokémon. I bring in Salamence and Intimidate your Pokémon. It can't KO Salamence easily. What do you do?

Take a hit, let my pokemon die and kill M-Mance on the next switch in with something designed to counter.

Either that or just play doubles. You have infinite more options of dealing with things in doubles. M-Mance is strong. He'll be in the rotation with Kang, Zard, and Mawhlie for sure. How big he is remains to be seen.

MattyG

Banned
FUUUUUUUU I want that eon ticket, but I live in Maine so I'll never be able to streetpass someone with it. I actually don't think I've ever streetpassed anyone period.

Wichu

Close my 3DS and play something else.

That is the correct answer :p

But seriously, there's pretty much nothing that can switch into Salamence and either KO it or force it to switch out. With Mega Salamence's 130 base Defense, there's no Ice Shard user that can take it out with priority, while Salamence can easily KO any Ice-type with +1 Return or Double-Edge.

After a Dragon Dance, there's nothing other than Choice Scarf users that outspeeds it. Sure, you could bring in Scarf Noivern, but if you predict wrong you die and if Salamence has a special wall teammate you're forced out and take another 25% from Stealth Rock.

TL;DR: In singles, the only non-gimmick Pokémon that can effectively beat Mega Salamence is Mega Salamence, and therefore in a meta where it is allowed, you have to run it to have a chance. Banning Mega Salamence would remove this restriction, making teams way more diverse.

EDIT:

Take a hit, let my pokemon die and kill M-Mance on the next switch in with something designed to counter.

Either that or just play doubles. You have infinite more options of dealing with things in doubles. M-Mance is strong. He'll be in the rotation with Kang, Zard, and Mawhlie for sure. How big he is remains to be seen.

OK, so Mega Salamence just got a free kill, and can immediately switch out of its counter to get another free kill later.

Smogon's banlist only applies to singles. I agree that it's way more manageable in doubles, so I'm not expecting it to get banned there.

So who uses Mega's during the story? I testing one out in my first playthrough of X and Y and they're just way too OP, drained all the fun out of the battle.

Did you even bother reading the thread? Why do you think Mega Salamence is fine?

I think the game is less than 2 days old and already banning things "preemptively" is incredibly stupid.

**For a more detailed response, speed control is invaluable against sweepers, and low tier singles players never utilize it. There are plenty of pokemon that can switch into Megamence and survive a hit. There are also pokemon that can survive an intimidate hit. Having a pokemon like this doesn't mean that you have to bring it, it means you have to prepare a team to deal with it. Trick room teams with mega mawile, for example, should crush it.

Bringing over some old favorite pokemon into AS. Not all my oldies since I'm not too fond of all of them. Just one team. My Empoleon, Milotic, Kricketune, Luxray, Delphox and Golem. Should be interesting seeing these continue to gather more medals as the gens go by.

SoulUnison

Banned
I think the game is less than 2 days old and already banning things "preemptively" is incredibly stupid.

**For a more detailed response, speed control is invaluable against sweepers, and low tier singles players never utilize it. There are plenty of pokemon that can switch into Megamence and survive a hit. There are also pokemon that can survive an intimidate hit. Having a pokemon like this doesn't mean that you have to bring it, it means you have to prepare a team to deal with it. Trick room teams with mega mawile, for example, should crush it.

But when there's 700+ Pokemon to choose from it's anti-fun to have a *need* to build your team specifically to counter a small handful of specific Mons or team builds.

I don't like Smogon at all, really, but I even less like seeing the same 10 or so Pokemon on every single team over and over again.

X/Y made me SO SICK of Mawile, Togekiss, Kangaskhan...

But when there's 700+ Pokemon to choose from it's anti-fun to have a *need* to build your team specifically to counter a small handful of specific Mons or team builds.

I don't like Smogon at all, really, but I even less like seeing the same 10 or so Pokemon on every single team over and over again.

X/Y made me SO SICK of Mawile, Togekiss, Kangaskhan...

This has been true in literally every single OU meta. There are always top tier threats. in 4th gen, for example, Scizor was the "holy shit" mon, and before that Garchomp (which eventually got banned). If you want to play pokemon competitively, you need to build your team around the major threats.

That said, I am not opposed to Mega mence getting banned; I am opposed to Mega mence getting banned right now.

SoulUnison

Banned
This has been true in literally every single OU meta. There are always top tier threats. in 4th gen, for example, Scizor was the "holy shit" mon, and before that Garchomp (which eventually got banned). If you want to play pokemon competitively, you need to build your team around the major threats.

That said, I am not opposed to Mega mence getting banned; I am opposed to Mega mence getting banned right now.

I honestly don't know which way to go with it.

I hate seeing the most popular and perceived to be powerful Pokemon on 75% of Battle Spot teams, but at the same time my IRL Pokemon Rival *loves* Smogon rules and would remove all luck and chance from the game if he had the chance.

He'll disconnect from a match and tell me I'm being unfair if I dare to use a Non-Uber tier Legendary I happen to like the design of. He'd ban critical hits and status effects, if he could.

I honestly don't know which way to go with it.

I hate seeing the most popular and perceived to be powerful Pokemon on 75% of Battle Spot teams, but at the same time my IRL Pokemon Rival *loves* Smogon rules and would remove all luck and chance from the game if he had the chance.

He'll disconnect from a match and tell me I'm being unfair if I dare to use a Non-Uber tier Legendary I happen to like the design of. He'd ban critical hits and status effects, if he could.

He should learn to play a different game. I know people of all kinds love pokemon, but the people who rage about those things are just really in the wrong game :\

OT: I am pretty impressed thus far. Got to rustboro and will probably get to slateport later tonight. Music is pretty great, and the art is better than XY, as was my impression with the demo.

I'm someone who hasn't really played Hoenn much in the past AS is so much better than XY. I would probably go ballistic one Sinnoh comes around since that was my first real pokemon gen I got into

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just started and HOLY SHIT that intro. Bravo Gamefreak.
Yep, it was great! I haven't reached the first gym yet (or, more accurately, the first one I can actually beat), but it already looks promising enough. I'd like to keep playing now, but the battery was running low and I had to plug the console in, so I'll play some more tomorrow.

Grexeno

Yep, it was great! I haven't reached the first gym yet (or, more accurately, the first one I can actually beat), but it already looks promising enough. I'd like to keep playing now, but the battery was running low and I had to plug the console in, so I'll play some more tomorrow.
You do realize you can play the game while it's charging, right?

I can't remember since it's been so long since I played most of them, but have they ever called the Pokemon Center nurse "Jenny" in the games? And has an Officer Jenny equivalent ever shown up?

Only in Pokemon Yellow where she gave you a Squirtle.

So who uses Mega's during the story? I testing one out in my first playthrough of X and Y and they're just way too OP, drained all the fun out of the battle.

I never used them in X/Y caused I only used Gen 6 Pokemon (what variety) so I'm looking forward to smashing the game with them this time. :]

Caladrius

I don't normally name my Pokemon (Save for a couple of particularly desirable legendaries like my Pseudo-flawless Japanese Zekrom Susanoo), mostly because I seldom think to. I attempted to change that last time in X/Y, but kept forgetting to name new team members. Maybe this will be the first major exception.

I never used them in X/Y caused I only used Gen 6 Pokemon (what variety) so I'm looking forward to smashing the game with them this time. :]

I'm doing the opposite, coincidentally (at least for Alpha Sapphire).

Definitely using M. Starters in the battles against the version mascots though, because I sure as hell am not going into a battle against a Mega Legendary without being armed to the teeth.

Do you guys like to nickname your Pokemon? I've never really liked doing it, but it seems like a lot of people do.
Yep, on every first play through I nickname every single first Pokemon I catch. It's fun going back to old games and seeing what theme I ran with.

I'll admit though I'm creatively spent this go around. My Mudkip is called Swamp Thing, such a meh and overdone nickname. Oh well.

yami4ct

Pokemon Centers and Markets are separated again? Ugh. I get that it's accurate, but it's a minor annoyance that will add up over the course of the 200 hours or so I'll be playing. I love the combined CenterShops.

DaBoss

You can buy Luxury Balls at Verdanturf Town and they now made it so you can get a bonus Premier Ball from buying 10+ of any(?) kind of Poke Ball. I only bought 14 Luxury Balls, so I'm not sure if it applies to other types.

Joqu

Pokemon Centers and Markets are separated again? Ugh. I get that it's accurate, but it's a minor annoyance that will add up over the course of the 200 hours or so I'll be playing. I love the combined CenterShops.

I'm sorry but the Pokémart music is way too catchy to be limited to the rare specialty shop we get occasionally. As long as they the music inside of the CenterShops isn't dynamic I'll always prefer them separated. <3

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Question how do we get the items from the ORAS demo?

It says once per day, sent successfully but where do I pick it up?

Thanks guys

mandiller

Does anyone know why there isn't a Miiverse community for the game yet? Also will there be any way to take screenshots or are Nintendo going to block that due to you being able to name Pokemon?

Hyunashi

My only problem so far is out-leveling, but I am keeping a constant 10-mon rotation including 4 I bred from X. Dexnav isnt helping hahahah.

yami4ct

I'm sorry but the Pokémart music is way too catchy to be limited to the rare specialty shop we get occasionally. As long as they the music inside of the CenterShops isn't dynamic I'll always prefer them separated. <3

I usually turn the sound off in these games after a few hours. Connivance of all in one > occasionally hearing some good music in my book. Every time.

Azuran

Banned
ah mah gawd i love the dex nav managed to find a sky attack taillow and brave bird taillow in route 104 this game man this game

For some reason, I kept reading Brave Bird as Gale Wings. I was like, "wut, when did Taillow become Smogon bird 2"

I need to go to bed :/

Koppai

This is a lot better than XY for sure :) never understood the hate RSE got.

Spend a lot of time catching all the Pokémon in the routes and won my first Normal Rank Beauty Contest with Ralts :)

Yuck have to go to work now.

Arclaid

Really not sure what I think of new Mauville City in this game.

Question how do we get the items from the ORAS demo?

It says once per day, sent successfully but where do I pick it up?

Thanks guys

What did you send over? Not sure if the items work differently, but I just sent over Glalie, and there's a Pokemon Link option in the ORAS start up menu to send it to the PC box.

Top Bottom