• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

lewisgone

I'll repost this Charizard code post from the community I made a couple days ago...this thread seems more active.

Does anyone want a Shiny Charizard code? I just went to GAME and the cashier gave me four. Also got 2 of those collectors albums for some reason...and I was worried they'd have run out of stock.

I don't really want anything in return...although while I'm here, does anyone have a spare Shiny Suicune from the event they did a few years ago lying around? If anyone is feeling generous I'd love to get my hands on one if it's a legitimate event one. I don't have much to offer. I have a shiny Tranquil and Mienshao but that's it.

I was willing to give away 2 of those 4 codes and ones been claimed so there's one left, PM or reply if you want it.

Azuran

Banned
Where, the Battle Maison? Because that sounds like the sort of bullshit that happens in the Battle Maison.

Battle Spot. I have replays of all my last 50 matches with my old teams and I only faced 3 Sylveons. However, I started using Hydreigon yesterday and all of a sudden, everyone has one in their team. I just ran into 5 in a row just now.

I smell a conspiracy against me.

KdylanR92

Battle Spot. I have replays of all my last 50 matches with my old teams and I only faced 3 Sylveons. However, I started using Hydreigon yesterday and all of a sudden, everyone has one in their team. I just ran into 5 in a row just now.

For some reason I've been getting a lot of mono ghost teams and they all ran destiny bond mega gengar.

I think i hate him more than talonflame

Azuran

Banned
I just ran into a Quick Claw Heatran, and I'll be honest, I was terrified of that thing. Knowing my luck with the RNG, I expected it to activate every turn.

Edit: Okay, nvm. The RNG loves me today: YU3W-WWWW-WWXS-D265

For some reason I've been getting a lot of mono ghost teams and they all ran destiny bond mega gengar.

I rather deal with Dark Void Smeargle shenaningans than Mega Gengar. I swear I could have 6 perfect counter for him and I would still find a way to screw it all up. I hate that ghost so much.

lupinko

For the new page!

Each will have good stats and will have a minimum of one perfect stat. I don't want to be there forever hence no crazy 4IV-5IVs since I'll be actually RNGing these on my Emerald carts.

OT: ヒナタ

And why?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Solana

Natures: Timid, Naive, Calm, Jolly

Rules:

To enter post in this thread, the Community thread or pm me with 4 numbers from 1-151. I want to make the lotto work with many entrants.

So it's a pretty easy way to get shiny Deoxys, also four will be given out. The drawings will be done the weekend of April 24-26. I'll need entries by April 23rd, 2359 JST.

There is a cap of 36 entrants mainly to keep this from exploding.

I'll do four draws using this RNG from https://www.random.org, each entry gets to pick a total of four numbers for each round, only one needs to be selected to win. Winners are immediately eliminated from entering in later rounds.

There will be a guaranteed winner each round.

The Deoxys won will be random out of the four.

Open to all of GAF.

Enjoy!

I will update this post with all entrant information.

----------------------------------------
All entrants can quote this portion and add your name and numbers to it if you don't send a pm to me.

Entrants (Cap: 36)
Professor Beef 24,42,52,110
ColtraineGF 28,48,80,114
PreyingShark 1,2,3,4
Jotamide 72, 148, 22, 98
Zedreamcast 7, 19, 27 , 94
Ahnez 17, 43, 97, 131
AsianOni 11, 34, 74, 111
Faenix1 27, 46, 82, 147
Refyref 75, 30, 13, 96
Bankoiia 12, 64, 112, 124
MasterSheen 25, 50, 125, 150
kyo2004 44, 87, 24, 57
CrimsonN0 19, 29, 53, 151
Syntsui 8, 49, 69, 99
Jo Shishido's Cheeks 36, 59, 63, 95
CassSept 6, 18, 115, 85

---------------------
Oh because I'm taking entries from three avenues, if the same numbers are picked, I'll contact the person who posted later to pick new numbers. I'm going to look at the time stamp of each entry.

That aside you are guaranteed a slot.

Carl7

My core is scizor+ venusaur so i rarely have problems with sylveon, talonflame is my nemesis and the reason why my arcanine holds rocky helmet.

I read on TVTropes that the more wins you get in the Battle Maison, the higher the chances you have of running into teams tailored made to counter yours. Even if you're using illegal pokemon like a Spiritomb with the Wonder Guard ability.

Azuran

Banned
I hate Gastrodon, I hate Rotom W, I hate Mega Swampert. Also, I have never seem them being used on Battle Spot but I know I also hate Seismitoad and Whiscash.

Screw anything that only has Grass weaknesses and laughs at my otherwise awesome team.

/salty

Cindro

Is the E4 the best place to level grind in the post-game? Just finished Delta episode a few days ago, and I'm ready to breed a new team of destruction.

I'm having such a hard time figuring out a cohesive synergy for a 6-monster outfit, though. I think my strategy will be to just EV train several favorites without any rhyme or reason, add them to my pool of already trained Pokémon, and once I have enough options I can mix and match until I find something that works. It's too stressful and confusing planning out a full team in advance that covers all weaknesses and has a unified play style.

JoeM86

Is the E4 the best place to level grind in the post-game? Just finished Delta episode a few days ago, and I'm ready to breed a new team of destruction.

I'm having such a hard time figuring out a cohesive synergy for a 6-monster outfit, though. I think my strategy will be to just EV train several favorites without any rhyme or reason, add them to my pool of already trained Pokémon, and once I have enough options I can mix and match until I find something that works. It's too stressful and confusing planning out a full team in advance that covers all weaknesses and has a unified play style.

Blissey Bases man! Blissey Bases

Scan in QR Codes for them, turn Level Release on in each of the base, Lucky Egg + EXP Point Power and you're laughing.

Cindro

Blissey Bases man! Blissey Bases

Scan in QR Codes for them, turn Level Release on in each of the base, Lucky Egg + EXP Point Power and you're laughing.
... Oh man. I haven't even TOUCHED the secret base stuff yet, but this is a spectacular suggestion. Thank you, good sir! And even more than that, thank you for diligently maintaining such a great site that I've been depending on for years and years!

I'll attempt a Blissey QR scanning rampage this weekend. After all, gotta train up to participate in the "super fun and definitely great, trust me" Battle Maison :/

JoeM86

... Oh man. I haven't even TOUCHED the secret base stuff yet, but this is a spectacular suggestion. Thank you, good sir! And even more than that, thank you for diligently maintaining such a great site that I've been depending on for years and years!

I'll attempt a Blissey QR scanning rampage this weekend. After all, gotta train up to participate in the "super fun and definitely great, trust me" Battle Maison :/

Glad you like the site and that it has helped :)

Just remember, the bases won't be usable until a day after you scan the code

Syntsui

I couldn't imagine EV training before Gen VI.

I still wish GF would put numbers up there. That bar indicator is nice, but not super accurate. You still need to keep track by hand.

Shh that's kept for the innovative new feature of the new generation next year.

In Gen IV you just got PokeRUS from the internet without much trouble, grinded for the Power items, and then in DPt you just used the VS Seeker to face trainers with your desired EVs. IIRC in HGSS and Gen V you had to use wild mons though.

It wasn't terrible or anything, especially if you had the money for vitamins. It was IV Breeding that drove me crazy.

entremet

In Gen IV you just got PokeRUS from the internet without much trouble, grinded for the Power items, and then in DPt you just used the VS Seeker to face trainers with your desired EVs. IIRC in HGSS and Gen V you had to use wild mons though.

It wasn't terrible or anything, especially if you had the money for vitamins. It was IV Breeding that drove me crazy.

Ugh. I can only imagine since it didn't have the Destiny Knot mechanics.

backlot

Yeah, Gen 4 was easy. Gen 3 sucked though. Macho Brace wasn't enough.

Carl7

In gen 3 i used to write down every ev and then when DP came out i thought that the calculator was a great improvement.

I don't even know why I EV train and IV breed my Pokemon since I don't even battle, lol. I guess I just like collecting. Maybe I'll get into battling someday, but I think I'm averse to competition.

I still have the notebook where I counted my EV's for Pokemon in Emerald. The spreads were terrible.
At least you didn't use to think that Rapidash was an amazing, competitively viable Pokemon.

...Because I used to think that.

Oh and I had a mixed Charizard with Swords Dance, Overheat, Brick Break, and Shadow Claw. I thought it was the shit.

Azuran

Banned
I didn't even start playing competitively on my cartridge until Gen VI. There was no way I had the patience for breeding and EV training back in the day.

Noobiest question in the thread coming up.

I got this game for my kid a few days ago. I've never played a Pokemon game before, and he never has either (he's 5). Anyway he loves the game and he's gotten to the point where he just beat the first gym battle. He got a message saying his Pokemon can now use the "Cut" ability outside of battle. He said there was a point in the game earlier where there was a bush on the world map that it said "Maybe one of your pokemon could cut this down" or something like that. But he went back there to try to cut it down the cut ability and it didn't work. Is it supposed to be obvious?

BTW, it seems like there's sort of like an "elemental wheel" in this game (fire, ice, water, grass, etc). Is this explained somewhere? What t ypes of damage are strong/weak against what other types of damage?

Muku

I got this game for my kid a few days ago. I've never played a Pokemon game before, and he never has either (he's 5). Anyway he loves the game and he's gotten to the point where he just beat the first gym battle. He got a message saying his Pokemon can now use the "Cut" ability outside of battle. He said there was a point in the game earlier where there was a bush on the world map that it said "Maybe one of your pokemon could cut this down" or something like that. But he went back there to try to cut it down the cut ability and it didn't work. Is it supposed to be obvious?

BTW, it seems like there's sort of like an "elemental wheel" in this game (fire, ice, water, grass, etc). Is this explained somewhere? What t ypes of damage are strong/weak against what other types of damage?

It's because he'll have to use the item in his inventory to teach a Pokemon Cut. Then he should be able to cut it down. At least that is the sound of the issue.

There are type charts out there. I'd recommend GameFAQs if you need to find any. Usually each time a new game comes up someone puts the simple one up. (I also have some up there, but mine are dual-type charts.)

Azuran

Banned

You need to teach Cut to a Pokemon before you can use it. Head to your item bag, find the HM01 item and teach it to a Pokemon that can use it.

For you second question, NPCs may comments on some matchups but most of that information came include in the manual in a nice chart. Thankfully, the internet got you covered:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Type

DaBoss

In the player's bag, there's a section for TMs/HMs. That's where some moves that can be gotten are stored. Those moves can be taught to Pokemon, but some moves can't be learned by some Pokemon (it will tell you which Pokemon you can teach it to).

Cut is an HM. HMs are moves that have abilities outside of battles that help you in your playthrough. He needs to teach Cut to a Pokemon and then interact with the tree.

Here's a type chart with a legend indicating what the colors/numbers mean:
TC24oeA.png

If it's ORAS we're talking about, to get the HM for Cut you need to talk to an NPC in Rustboro. Look for a house with two Cut-able trees and go inside that and talk to everybody in it. That should do the trick.

In the player's bag, there's a section for TMs/HMs. That's where some moves that can be gotten are stored. Those moves can be taught to Pokemon, but some moves can't be learned by some Pokemon (it will tell you which Pokemon you can teach it to).

Cut is an HM. HMs are moves that have abilities outside of battles that help you in your playthrough. He needs to teach Cut to a Pokemon and then interact with the tree.

Here's a type chart with a legend indicating what the colors/numbers mean:
TC24oeA.png

Jesus that's way more complicated than I expected. I'm used to Final Fantasy games where you've got Fire > Earth > Lightning > Water > Fire, lol.

I looked through the inventory for an ability or item I could use for him, but didn't find anything. I'll check again tongiht, maybe I was in the wrong menu. Thanks!

Azuran

Banned
Quick question since I don't want to screw up: If I register my Pokemon for the online competition, does my battle box get locked right away or until the competition begins?

DaBoss

I want to say it is before it starts, but I don't remember. I haven't been in a competition in a long time.

EDIT: After: http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/support/guide/competition/
Jesus that's way more complicated than I expected. I'm used to Final Fantasy games where you've got Fire > Earth > Lightning > Water > Fire, lol.

I looked through the inventory for an ability or item I could use for him, but didn't find anything. I'll check again tongiht, maybe I was in the wrong menu. Thanks!
It probably will be overwhelming at first, but everyone starts some where lol.

Like PreyingShark above your post said, you have to get Cut from an NPC.

Is he playing Pokemon X/Y or Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire?

Yup, pokemon is definitely deceptive. On the surface it's a kids game, but the game depth is so extreme that veterans stick around for years. The type chart is really just the tip of the iceburg.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I still wish GF would put numbers up there. That bar indicator is nice, but not super accurate. You still need to keep track by hand.

Gen III is extra special rough. Gotta breed for natures with no way to control them until Emerald, some Pokémon have two abilities, Pokerus is rare with no internet, EV spreads are a real thing so you have to count for the first time instead of maxing everything. Emerald gives you everstones on Dittos to give you a shot at a good nature but that's the only relief you get. So you have to hope to get the virus via trading, use the macho brace, spend days breeding for the right nature and decent ivs...

Well, I've finally managed to put together an IV bred, EV trained, VGC competitive team. I've always been a fan of competitive Pokemon and I used to play on some of the battle simulators, but I've never actually gone through with it and made a legit team. I'm really excited to play in the april battle competition and start going on the battle spot. I ran through the battle maison and my team didn't seem entirely terrible but it probably is so whatever. Breeding and training is kind of addictive and I have plenty of other team ideas.

Top Bottom