• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Azuran

Banned
Just fought a klefki with prankster, swagger and foul play. Really caught me off-guard because i never trained or really battled one competitively until now.

I lost to a keychain.......

Just wait till you meet that Mega Gallade that's carrying Trick Room for some reason and pretty much destroys your entire strategy in one swoop.

Muku

Yes please, thats very kind. Is there anything you'd like in return?

Off for a bit this morning on the job hunt. Not sure what time will work best for you but let me know. Naw, I'm good. I've got my dex completed long ago. I carry around extras (traded for them with Sandstorm Scatterbugs on GTS) for folks who need them.

RootCause

Is it worth buying both games? I've got a $25 certificate on BB, and $30 on GS. I'm thinking of picking up both games, but not sure if there's any point to it with Online trading. Oh, and have I missed important events, or mystery gifts?

Thanks!

Syntsui

Is it worth buying both games? I've got a $25 certificate on BB, and $30 on GS. I'm thinking of picking up both games, but not sure if there's any point to it with Online trading. Oh, and have I missed important events, or mystery gifts?

Thanks!

Not really, just buy AS to get a perfect Thundurus and call it a day.

Ahnez

I was planning to get the shiny charm before hunting for mirage legendaries, I want to get at least one shiny..

But it just occurred to me that I will need those legendaries to even get the charm :p

lupinko

I was planning to get the shiny charm before hunting for mirage legendaries, I want to get at least one shiny..

But it just occurred to me that I will need those legendaries to even get the charm :p

Which legendaries do you need for your dex chase?

Ahnez

Which legendaries do you need for your dex chase?
Actually, I'm still at ~300 (~450 in X) so it will still take a while

But, since the only games I played before X were red and diamond (and just briefly), I just have Xerneas, Zygarde, Kyogre, Rayquaza
plus Celebi and Shaymin now, but they aren't required, right? :p

I'm still missing everything :p

entremet

Actually, I'm still at ~300 (~450 in X) so it will still take a while

But, since the only games I played before X were red and diamond (and just briefly), I just have Xerneas, Zygarde, Kyogre, Rayquaza
plus Celebi and Shaymin now, but they aren't required, right? :p

I'm still missing everything :p

Mythicals aren't required. That's correct.

lupinko

Lol wow, look what came up for me, Mischievous too.

uNyOwwGl.jpg

lupinko

Congrats!

I should get back to Shaymin SRing one day.

That's supposed to be traded, oh well not anymore. Lol

I'll see if I can come up with some scrap cards before it ends next Wednesday.

Oh right, the Shiny Birth Island Deoxys entry deadline is coming up, it's 2128 JST as I type this.

Ahnez

That's supposed to be traded, oh well not anymore. Lol

I'll see if I can come up with some scrap cards before it ends next Wednesday.

Oh right, the Shiny Birth Island Deoxys entry deadline is coming up, it's 2128 JST as I type this.
I forgot to say earlier

Last time I saw that list, there were repeated numbers

lupinko

I'm jealous. I wish NA would have events for mythical pokemon :( I really missed out when I lost interest in the series for a few years.

It's not the same as redeeming it yourself but from time to time PokeGAF gives away mythicals, events, and usually nowadays we don't give away clones too.

There were recent Shaymin giveaways for example and this weekend I'm going to raffle off 4 Shiny Birth Island Deoxys I RNGed.

Muku

I'm jealous. I wish NA would have events for mythical pokemon :( I really missed out when I lost interest in the series for a few years.

Like lupinko said, we've had some Shaymin give aways recently. I ran one a week or two ago now. Gave away 4 of them in that. (Initially was one, but thanks to a kind GAF member, were able to give more out.)

I wish I had an extra Scrap Campaign code to redeem for ya, but sadly I don't. I used the extra I got for helping someone else to run the last Shaymin giveaway. If you manage to get a code though and want it redeemed, I can do so for you. (If the code you get is the scrap cards # rather than a redemption code, can also claim that for you, to get the actual Shaymin redemption code.) It's just those codes expire on April 30, 2015 at 2359 JST. So might be a bit of a scramble since we're entering last week for it. (Must have a JPN console to redeem it, which fortunately I have.)

Also TheOneEye, if you're still in need of your legendary just send me a PM when will work for you and we can work something out. I've got it set aside for you in mean time.

Shaymin is pretty cute, might add it to my starter team in the next game.

Does anybody actually use any of these mythical mons?
I battled with the ones I have once just to see what they look like, but that's it.
Are they even any good?

Mine have only ever been Bank clutter which seems a little disrespectful haha.

In the new online tournament, I have discovered a new hate: Moody dark void smeargle. Dark void in general is just complete bull, especially in doubles

JoeM86

In the new online tournament, I have discovered a new hate: Moody dark void smeargle. Dark void in general is just complete bull, especially in doubles

It reinforced my hatred of Spore. Spore needs a nerf to the same accuracy as Will-O-Wisp

Though the RNG was not in my favour at all today. Every Scald used against me Burned me

backlot

It reinforced my hatred of Spore. Spore needs a nerf to the same accuracy as Will-O-Wisp

Though the RNG was not in my favour at all today. Every Scald used against me Burned me

I think Spore is fine as it is. Very few Pokemon actually get it and it can only target a single Pokemon. If anything I think Will-O-Wisp needs 100% accuracy like Spore.

The limit is ten battles a day for the battle competition, right?

If so, I just won half my battles! I mean, I'm not playing against the best or anything like that, but this is really exhilarating.

It's not the same as redeeming it yourself but from time to time PokeGAF gives away mythicals, events, and usually nowadays we don't give away clones too.

There were recent Shaymin giveaways for example and this weekend I'm going to raffle off 4 Shiny Birth Island Deoxys I RNGed.

Thats great. Thanks for letting me know :)

It would just be nice to have more events in the US for those who missed out particularly in the area where I live.

JoeM86

I think Spore is fine as it is. Very few Pokemon actually get it and it can only target a single Pokemon. If anything I think Will-O-Wisp needs 100% accuracy like Spore.

Will-O-Wisp has a far wider pool of Pokémon with it, and considering how much the status infliction it gives nerfs Pokémon, that would break everything.

I just think Spore should drop to 90%. It should have some slight drawback. 100% is just too much for it, even if only 6 Pokémon can have it.

backlot

Will-O-Wisp has a far wider pool of Pokémon with it, and considering how much the status infliction it gives nerfs Pokémon, that would break everything.

What would it break? It isn't nearly as debilitating as sleep and you can still usually see it coming from miles away. I hate seeing games go south due to that 15% miss chance.

Azuran

Banned
I can tell I'm not going to enjoy the challenge that much. My first opponent was a Mega Gengar team so I like to believe that's a preview of what's to come.

JoeM86

What would it break? It isn't nearly as debilitating as sleep and you can still usually see it coming from miles away. I hate seeing games go south due to that 15% miss chance.

Burn halves the Attack stat of any Pokémon inflicted with it. You don't see having a 100% burn move would be broken as hell?

backlot

Burn halves the Attack stat of any Pokémon inflicted with it. You don't see having a 100% burn move would be broken as hell?

No? Thunderwave is 100% and more than halves a Pokemon's speed stat. Is that broken? Unlike sleep and paralysis, with burn you are at least guaranteed to still get off a move after being inflicted. There are tons of Pokemon that don't even care about having their attack stat dropped.

JoeM86

No? Thunderwave is 100% and more than halves a Pokemon's speed stat. Is that broken? Unlike sleep and paralysis, with burn you are at least guaranteed to still get off a move after being inflicted. There are tons of Pokemon that don't even care about having their attack stat dropped.

Speed is one thing, physical attack is another. If there was a 100% Burn move, it would be broken and the metagame would shift drastically.

backlot

Speed is one thing, physical attack is another. If there was a 100% Burn move, it would be broken and the metagame would shift drastically.

Why would it be broken? Is a 15% accuracy boost really enough to shift the entire metagame? WOW already hits most of the time anyway. In fact with Mega Kangaskhan being everywhere there's already been a spike in WOW and Intimidate usage. I find it hard to imagine it would shift much more.

JoeM86

Why would it be broken? Is a 15% accuracy boost really enough to shift the entire metagame? WOW already hits most of the time anyway. In fact with Mega Kangaskhan being everywhere there's already been a spike in WOW and Intimidate usage. I find it hard to imagine it would shift much more.

Yes it really would be. It'd cause a shift to predominantly Special attackers. Burn is fine as it is, if anything I'd say W-o-W needs a drop to 80

Though I really wish there was a Special equivalent of both Intimidate and a status halving the stat, just for a bit more balance.

360pages

All these updates, I'm legit starting to think that the Battle Frontier might be coming soon.

As for Burn, it's not broken it's almost necessary at times Considering how much Physical completely destroys special in everyway.

Physical walls can be broken easily by physical attackers. Special walls like Blissy and Chancey eat that shit up. Doesn't help that every special attack now has a physical version in some way.

Stopping a Special sweeper is far easier than stopping a Physical sweeper.

All these updates, I'm legit starting to think that the Battle Frontier might be coming soon.

As for Burn, it's not broken it's almost necessary at times Considering how much Physical completely destroys special in everyway.

Physical walls can be broken easily by physical attackers. Special walls like Blissy and Chancey eat that shit up. Doesn't help that every special attack now has a physical version in some way.

Stopping a Special sweeper is far easier than stopping a Physical sweeper.

I agree. I would be nice to have a physical move nerf in addition to an assault mail type item. Chansey getting a physical defense based evolution would also be nice.

JoeM86

Why? These patches are bug fixes. They've not added any content whatsoever.

Don't misunderstand me. I never said Burn was broken. I said that a move that inflicts Burn with 100% accuracy would be broken.

Pachimari

Just to be sure. All of the Pokemon I catch in Pokemon Y, can I use those in Omega Ruby?

And how much space does the Pokemon Bank give me? And can I organize it, like I can organize the boxes in the game?

360pages

Why? These patches are bug fixes. They've not added any content whatsoever.

Don't misunderstand me. I never said Burn was broken. I said that a move that inflicts Burn with 100% accuracy would be broken.

They might be getting the games data ready for a large patch. Since we had 2 decently sized ones Without any really major bugs need fixing.

A move like that, eh. Honestly, will-o-wisp is close enough that I'd say we almost have one. We don't need one, but I don't think one would be broken if we did get it down the line. I'd say having a speed cut hurts more pokemon over all, and thunderwave has a far wider learn rate along with the chance of not being able to move at all.

If you've got everything riding on a 15% miss from Will-O-Wisp saving you, you need to spend some serious time rethinking your approach to the match up. The thought that you'll do nothing and maybe get lucky should never go through your head; you should always be looking to actively counter the move.

So if you're already preparing for WoW as if it were 100% likely to hit you, what difference would it make if it (or another move) actually was? Other than the few cases that occur now where you luck out thanks to the RNG, things would turn out exactly the same. Doesn't sound all that broken or game changing to me.

Azuran

Banned
Why the hell do I keep running into all of these cheese teams. Sand Veil, Mimimize, Perish Song, you name it. Jeez, it gets annoying after a while.

Now I remember why I hate being on the lower ranks in the ladder.

AetherZX

I actually find it pretty strange that they ended up nerfing many special moves instead of just adding a special-based intimidate instead. Good distribution of such an ability would have done the trick.

Junahu

If you've got everything riding on a 15% miss from Will-O-Wisp saving you, you need to spend some serious time rethinking your approach to the match up. The thought that you'll do nothing and maybe get lucky should never go through your head; you should always be looking to actively counter the move.

So if you're already preparing for WoW as if it were 100% likely to hit you, what difference would it make if it (or another move) actually was? Other than the few cases that occur now where you luck out thanks to the RNG, things would turn out exactly the same. Doesn't sound all that broken or game changing to me.
You're looking at this from the wrong angle. Don't look at 85% Burn from the perspective of the victim, look at that 15% miss from the perspective of the person using WoW.

You can't just throw WoW and assume it will land, you have to be prepared with an out in the event that it misses. The user must factor in the risk when deciding what to do, and that is what keeps WoW in check.

Would you say that 80% Stone Edge is the same as 100% Stone Edge, just because your opponent counter-plays as if it always hits?

Muku

Just to be sure. All of the Pokemon I catch in Pokemon Y, can I use those in Omega Ruby?

And how much space does the Pokemon Bank give me? And can I organize it, like I can organize the boxes in the game?

You can bring all of your Pokemon from Y to Ruby, yes. (I can't think of anything in-game you can't bring over like the cosplay Pikachu in ORAS deal.)

Pokebank is pretty much your PC in-game on steroids. 30 Pokemon per box, 100 boxes. You can organize them way better in Bank. You can have categories for them. Like I have categories of like Pokedex, Shinydex, Events, 4 Trade, Breeding, etc. You can put boxes in the categories to keep them organized. Also can name each box as well. It's awesome.

You're looking at this from the wrong angle. Don't look at 85% Burn from the perspective of the victim, look at that 15% miss from the perspective of the person using WoW.

You can't just throw WoW and assume it will land, you have to be prepared with an out in the event that it misses. The user must factor in the risk when deciding what to do, and that is what keeps WoW in check.

Would you say that 80% Stone Edge is the same as 100% Stone Edge, just because your opponent counter-plays as if it always hits?

The effect from other 100% condition moves like Spore or Thunder Wave are what we need to compare it to. Moves that will KO a Pokémon are a different ballgame.

I want to counter the claim that a move with a 100% chance to burn would be "broken" or shift the metagame. It would have a negligible outcome.

Azuran

Banned
7-3 to end the day. I would be a lot happier if I hadn't Thunder Wave a Sceptile on my last battle. No one uses the guy so I can't help but forget what his dumb ability was. Bleh

Emitan

Are you comparing a damaging move to a status?

Top Bottom