• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

With the help of Aveyn and Muku, I basically had almost every event thus far from every region (except Jessie's Wobbafet).

Well not anymore.

For the competitive side, like I said, it's all on my other games. I can easily rebuild from the older games on up, on that case (but losing half of my projects hurts a lot tho). But my trades have taken a huge hit.

My warchest is basically gone, I have some stuff left, but I don't think I can be swimming in Arceus anymore.

I still have my collection of Diancies, I think I lost like one or two Diancies maybe, maybe one. I have other WCs on my other games. But ugh, I don't know.

I still live here in Tohoku, so if they redo Tanabata Jirachi again this year (I don't know if they will), maybe I can rebuild? But probably it's not the same anymore.

I might have to reevaluate my pokegaming. ='(

Well, unrelated but I did take up Tekken 7, so hey TekkenGAF, it looks like I'll be there more often! :D :(

I already posted my thoughts via PM, but besides what I mentioned, I think a break could do you good as well.

I'll continue to help grabbing PAL events for you, either way : )

Junahu

Every abusable action (those that require forced saves) also updates the backup and changes the encription key (stored in the backup, and also stored in the game card/file)
If you want to backup, it will replace the save with the backup if the two keys are equal (and thus, making it impossible to use older backups to clone things)

This (very simple) process has some flaws but it works. Its actually the same process I used in a college project this year

Its not hard to implement, its just that GF doesn't care.. Because even an average second year CS student like myself can find a solution. I'm sure they could find a (much better) solution if they wanted to
The Pokemon games already internally backup their save games to prevent corruption. An external backup with that many stipulations would do nothing that the internal doesn't achieve now.

I do think the game should hold your previous game in a temporary backup somewhere if you start a new-game, just in case it's a younger brother or something wanting to play.

Ahnez

The Pokemon games already internally backup their save games to prevent corruption. An external backup with that many stipulations would do nothing that the internal doesn't achieve now.

I do think the game should hold your previous game in a temporary backup somewhere if you start a new-game, just in case it's a younger brother or something wanting to play.
I was thinking about the new game situation, actually

Data corruptions as a whole are very hard to deal with :p

There must be a very smart solution, but hardly GF will do anything about it.. And the single file system is reealy outdated..

I was thinking about the new game situation, actually

Data corruptions as a whole are very hard to deal with :p

There must be a very smart solution, but hardly GF will do anything about it.. And the single file system is reealy outdated..

GF is already far behind the times. I'm sorry you lost all that hard work lupinko :(. I'm willing to help you if there is anyway I can.

lupinko

Thanks for the support, not everything was lost, just most of it. Sadly, I backed up on other games events but those are mainly for myself that I haven't redeemed yet.

But yes ultimately I am myself to blame, I'm just trying to muster up the drive to redeem my existing Scrap cards by wednesday and the shiny Rayquazas.

So I lost like 5 Pokebank celebi including two that were personally mine. The Pikachu that Muku got me, all the Korean events, all the PAL stuff. My war chest of 80+ Tanabata Jirachi. The redeemed Pokescrap and Corocoro. :(

I appreciate that you all understand my lost. I'm normally not careless and always check but I didn't do it that time.

For my existing trades they can still be traded. With my cache isn't an issue but probably just the effort to amassing it all just to see it go down into nothing demoralizes everything,

Most of my redeemed Diancies are on my NA X game. Also this reminds me of my OCD nature and how I hoard too much. I'm just trying to be a grown up about this.

Oh if anyone asks why I didn't bank them all? Well because for many they all hold items, and Pokebank doesn't hold those. Sure it would have been less heartbreaking but ugh.

The trading metagame pretty much became Pokemon for me and it's been ruined by myself. :/

Muku

That's why I tend not to worry about the items themselves. Most times you can get them in the games already. Might maybe take a bit of work to get to point in-game, but I just don't worry about the held items. (Some folks might consider that a crime, I'm sure, LOL.) I imagine only things you mostly couldn't would be the berries that aren't in-game but obtained other ways.

I hear ya though. I'd be devastated and probably would want to give up if my events and shinies and all went away. Would be so diffuclt to get back into it. Fortunately, the thing here is you have a good community that could help you rebuild.

Thought the Yokohama Pikachu might have been part of the loss. So sorry. :( Wish I had an extra set. Still have your Pokemon Cafe one though waiting for you.

Speaking of Pokebank, because I didn't use it to back up my most important stuff. I have lost everything on my Y eshop game when I accidentally wiped it as I was supposed to wipe my Y cart (which was in my New 3DS instead).

So I have basically lost basically 80% of my Gen 6 event booty, I still have WCs on other games and my primary game being eshop AS/eshop X.

But this has taken a huge chunk out of my pokemongaming.

I knew I should have gone out to watch Furious 7 instead.

As for my RNG sweepstakes I'm going to have to delay it. This moment is basically making me rethink everything and all my time invested in the events.

And it's not just my events but half of my breeding projects were on that game too.

I'm at a lost right now.

If I was younger I would be in tears right now, but at my age now I just have silence.

I don't know if it's karma or a wake up call or anything. =/

Damn, that sucks. :( I think a break might do you some good in this case. Know I'd want one, in any case.

And yeah, GF needs to start letting us make backups and multiple saves. Their system is so outdated.

Muku

You know, I wonder if at time of wiping a save, if having a "quick glance" at your PC might help. Maybe stop and think about what we're doing or if folks would be annoyed with the extra step. (For my game I use to farm events it'd be annoying, but if it could save someone...) I mean they have a window that pops up and gives you a quick glance at whats in your PC box.

entremet

Thanks for the support, not everything was lost, just most of it. Sadly, I backed up on other games events but those are mainly for myself that I haven't redeemed yet.

But yes ultimately I am myself to blame, I'm just trying to muster up the drive to redeem my existing Scrap cards by wednesday and the shiny Rayquazas.

So I lost like 5 Pokebank celebi including two that were personally mine. The Pikachu that Muku got me, all the Korean events, all the PAL stuff. My war chest of 80+ Tanabata Jirachi. The redeemed Pokescrap and Corocoro. :(

I appreciate that you all understand my lost. I'm normally not careless and always check but I didn't do it that time.

For my existing trades they can still be traded. With my cache isn't an issue but probably just the effort to amassing it all just to see it go down into nothing demoralizes everything,

Most of my redeemed Diancies are on my NA X game. Also this reminds me of my OCD nature and how I hoard too much. I'm just trying to be a grown up about this.

Oh if anyone asks why I didn't bank them all? Well because for many they all hold items, and Pokebank doesn't hold those. Sure it would have been less heartbreaking but ugh.

The trading metagame pretty much became Pokemon for me and it's been ruined by myself. :/

Pokebank puts held items in you bag automatically if you transfer pokemon with held items. It's pretty nifty since it's easy to forget about hold items.

Azuran

Banned
Oh well, that's was a new one. I just ran into a Endeavor Smeargle with a Trick Room Slowbro as it's partner. I was screwed right from the start no matter what.

Damn, that sucks. :( I think a break might do you some good in this case. Know I'd want one, in any case.

And yeah, GF needs to start letting us make backups and multiple saves. Their system is so outdated.

GF is honestly one of the worst developers because of all the nonsense decisions they love to do.

lupinko

Pokebank puts held items in you bag automatically if you transfer pokemon with held items. It's pretty nifty since it's easy to forget about hold items.

That's not what I meant, so for example if I had backed up say the Jirachis, they'd lose the Star Piece they held in this event. Though it's unimportant now since it's over.

exhume

Hey y'all, so I'm itching to SR for a shiny Latias, but I've been reading here and there on the net that people's saves have become corrupted from SRing this gen. Should I be worried about this? Should I store my living dex on the bank before I attempt this, or is that being too paranoid? I'd hate to lose all of my items and so forth too...

lupinko

^ Don't be me and just use the bank.

i'm going to try and recover the overwritten/deleted save file from the flash card.

I do know there's ways to extract data from it. It's worth a shot.

I've lost so many Pokemon over the years, ones that were level 100 and meant a lot to me, simply because I wanted to replay games when I was younger so I would save over old games.
The worst was when I put hundreds into the Ranch on the Wii, started a new save file on Pearl and then realised they were trapped there on the Ranch, forever :(
(It included my first ever shiny too, man...)

At least one improvement they've made with Bank is that if you start a new save file now you can still bring old Pokemon over into it, but they've got a long way to go.
Multiple saves should be almost mandatory on RPG's.

Muku

Hey y'all, so I'm itching to SR for a shiny Latias, but I've been reading here and there on the net that people's saves have become corrupted from SRing this gen. Should I be worried about this? Should I store my living dex on the bank before I attempt this, or is that being too paranoid? I'd hate to lose all of my items and so forth too...

Wow, really? I hadn't heard that, but still SRing for that jerkfaced Latias. I haven't had any issues yet, but now a bit worried. Mainly because I don't want to get all the way to that point again, LOL. Kind of curious about it. Worst I'd lose is Sharpedo, but can get that back easy enough. (Gotta have dat fast swimming.)

i'm going to try and recover the overwritten/deleted save file from the flash card.

Good luck! I hadn't heard anything about someone being successful, but I always hold out hope. :)

exhume

Oh man, ouch. I just scrolled up and read about your situation. That sucks so bad, I'm sorry to hear it! :(

Wow, really? I hadn't heard that, but still SRing for that jerkfaced Latias. I haven't had any issues yet, but now a bit worried. Mainly because I don't want to get all the way to that point again, LOL. Kind of curious about it. Worst I'd lose is Sharpedo, but can get that back easy enough. (Gotta have dat fast swimming.)

Yeah, I've read a few reports on it, here are some of the threads I found:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2owws0/corrupted_oras_file/
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/792673-pokemon-omega-ruby/70676828
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/792672-pokemon-alpha-sapphire/70673425

I can't remember which thread I read it in, but someone mentioned that the internal save backup that was present in prior games back to Ruby/Sapphire isn't present in this gen. Don't know if that's true or not, though. I don't have anything near as valuable as what lupinko unfortunately lost, but I've spent more time on ORAS than I've spent on any other game in the last three years combined, so I'd be a bit cut if I lost my living dex/event Pokémon and the handful of shinies I've managed to obtain.

Muku

Yeah, I've read a few reports on it, here are some of the threads I found:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2owws0/corrupted_oras_file/
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/792673-pokemon-omega-ruby/70676828
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/792672-pokemon-alpha-sapphire/70673425

I can't remember which thread I read it in, but someone mentioned that the internal save backup that was present in prior games back to Ruby/Sapphire isn't present in this gen. Don't know if that's true or not, though. I don't have anything near as valuable as what lupinko unfortunately lost, but I've spent more time on ORAS than I've spent on any other game in the last three years combined, so I'd be a bit cut if I lost my living dex/event Pokémon and the handful of shinies I've managed to obtain.

Cool, thank you. Will read a bit into it tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

lupinko

I'm going to see if I can recover the old save file. Since it wasn't overwritten but wiped. And it wasn't that long ago and I haven't done a lot of rewriting on that flash card. There's two more files found on the card so far from what I see in the scan. Now providing that I can recover it somehow (have some faith here), could I just use the old save file on the eshop game if I delete the other eshop save that was made?

It's a worth a shot, and my early college background in IT is giving me some hope no matter how small. Unless Nintendo and GF's backwardness can destroy and overrule the standard laws of computing somehow. Knowing those two I would venture yes or highly likely.

Well I got nothing else to lose, might as well.

And yes I did backup the sd card on my computer prior to doing the scan on the sd flash memory.

EDIT: Yeah it`s a dead end, the save file isn`t actually deleted by Pokemon`s wipe game, it just saves over it. I looked at the .sav file and it has its creation date of 02/24/2014 but it says it was modified 01/01/2001.

It's dead dead, kinda lame that Nintendo and Gamefreak have to go that much trouble to keep the purity of their game design.

Yes it's ultimately my fault but it sucks.

Edit: I'm going to redeem my remaining events for trade and just take a long break from Pokemon until the Hoopa movie.

Sigh.

There's two ways to try and rebuild that collection. I'd need another Shiny Tanabata like event to happen this year for me to milk is one while the other involves pretty grimey means. :/

Muku

I'm going to see if I can recover the old save file. Since it wasn't overwritten but wiped. And it wasn't that long ago and I haven't done a lot of rewriting on that flash card. There's two more files found on the card so far from what I see in the scan. Now providing that I can recover it somehow (have some faith here), could I just use the old save file on the eshop game if I delete the other eshop save that was made?

It's a worth a shot, and my early college background in IT is giving me some hope no matter how small. Unless Nintendo and GF's backwardness can destroy and overrule the standard laws of computing somehow. Knowing those two I would venture yes or highly likely.

And yes I did backup the sd card on my computer prior to doing the scan on the sd flash memory.

EDIT: Yeah it`s a dead end, the save file isn`t actually deleted by Pokemon`s wipe game, it just saves over it. I looked at the .sav file and it has its creation date of 02/24/2014 but it says it was modified 01/01/2001.

It's dead dead, kinda lame that Nintendo and Gamefreak have to go that much trouble to keep the purity of their game design.

Edit: I'm going to redeem my remaining events for trade and just take a long break from Pokemon until the Hoopa movie.

Sigh.

There's two ways to try and rebuild that collection. I'd need another Shiny Tanabata like event to happen this year for me to milk is one while the other involves pretty grimey means. :/

Really not surprised. Though, from a standpoint, even aside trying to maintain one file per game, I imagine it's easier just to overwrite one file at all times. I'm sure both would just say "should have put in Pokebank", but they really need some kind of "OH SHIT" mechanic in it, should you say wipe your save and then realize your mistake without really doing anything in new save file.

lupinko

Okay off the top of my head, I lost the following:

Unredeemed Wondercards of importance (WC), and an * will indicate I have it elsewhere on another game

- 1 Movie 2014 Diancie* JPN WC
- 1 Movie 2014 Darkrai* JPN WC
- Tanabata 2014 Shiny Jirachi* JPN/ENG WC and PKMN warchest (+80) (I have personal WCs left, and some are with Aveyn for trades)
- Corocoro 2015 Shiny Rayquaza* JPN /ENG WC and PKMN JPN / ENG (I still have a lot of codes)
- PC Pokeball Vivillion* JPN (plus I backed a box of THAT UP, whoopie do)
- Pokescrap Shaymin* JPN/ENG WC and PKMN (I still have some codes left over for trades and I have my own personal set, but I did lose the flawless Modest and Timids for myself sigh)
- Pokescrap Victini* JPN/ENG WC and PKMN (I only had one for trade anyway but I lost the 5IV flawless adamant for myself, I still should have 4 for myself personally)
- Pokescrap Keldeo* JPN/ENG WC and PKMN (I lost like two for myself and my tradeables but I still have personal WCs left)
- Korean Keldeo
- 1 Movie 2015 Arceus* (I have a bunch on the other games)
- 2 Mega Tokyo Pikachu* (I have a bunch on the other games)
- 2 Mega Tokyo Yzard* (I have a bunch on the other games)
- 1 Mega Evo PCBC Complete Sets* (I did lend a set for Muku to clone so I technically have them saved I guess)
- All 6 Outbreakchu
- German Yzard
- German Shiny Yzard
- Game Yzard
- Game Shiny Yzard
- Walmart Garchomp
- VGC Aegislash
- VGC Mamoswine
- Korean WCS Complete Set
- Korean Movie Sylveon
- Korean Movie 2014 Jirachi(s) - Non-Shiny Gen 6 exclusive to Korea
- Chinese FB Charizards (I think I might still have a WC on my X game)
- GAME Magmar and Electabuzz
- Corocoro XYzards (though I might have a WC of this in my X-JP cart)
- Sejun's Pachirisu
- Korean Ollehzard
- Parismillion
- Euro Pokeball Vivillion
- 4 or 5 Pokebank Celebis (including my personal Bold JPN Y and Docile ENG X)
- GAME Darkrai
- Korean Diancie (I think a Taiwanese Diancie WC is in my JP-X cart and the one redeemed in my NA-X cart)
- GAME Diancie (???)
- PC Gengar / Scizor (though I think my secondary pair I lent to Muku to clone so I technically stuff have this)
- two XY Torchics, one from a trade and one from a used JP cart.
- PC Piplup
- PC Froakie
- 1 Fancy Viv WC (I think I have unused ones in my other games again)
- Shiny Halloween Gengars NA-UK ENG and JPN PKMN and 1 WC* (I still have WCs of this I think)

That's what got nuked of importance for trades and event collections. I had a box of shiny gen 6 mon nuked as well as clones for helping out gaffers like two Meloettas that got nuked.

The Duplica Dittos got nuked but I have like infinite of those coming from Gen 3. Gen 3 Event Jirachi and Celebi are also infinite basically. I lost that shiny Deoxys for Muku but I can RNG another.

I had projects for various mon in special balls. I may have backed up some in bank or in my NA X game.

I'm not saying no more moral support which is great that you guys are helping me cope, but having two Pokebanks and 11 other games I guess helps to a great extent. Not to mention my crazy supply chain from Gen 3 to Gen 5.

I'll still have a shiny Rayzilla warchest and some Shaymins, and some PC Vivs. If they do Tanabata again this year then I can get the ball rolling again. But I guess I do need the break after I redeem all the Rayzilla and Shaymins.

entremet

Sigh.

Sometimes a break is a good thing. I've lost crazy game saves in the past as well.

Good thing you're in Japan at least, the land of pokemon giveaways.

Muku

Yeah, I definitely have your PC Gengar / Scizor (Lv 25) and the 1 Mega Evo PCBC Complete Set. I feel bad after all this time I haven't given them back... but in some way, it almost feels like in doing so I've saved something for ya.

Sometimes a break is a good thing. I've lost crazy game saves in the past as well.

Good thing you're in Japan at least, the land of pokemon giveaways.

I agree. A break for a few weeks to destress and pursue other activities can do wonders. When you're recharged, you can enjoy the plentiful events offered in Japan (if only the US had the same amount).

Azuran

Banned
Do you guys think people get angry if you forfeit on them right on the first turn of a battle? I just did that to my last 5 opponents in the challenge since I'm not in the mood for playing and decided just to give free wins to the lucky ones that faced me.

Junahu

Do you guys think people get angry if you forfeit on them right on the first turn of a battle? I just did that to my last 5 opponents in the challenge since I'm not in the mood for playing and decided just to give free wins to the lucky ones that faced me.
If they wanted to play a battle, then yeah they'd be a bit annoyed that you ate a forfeit on them.

If I was your opponent, I wouldn't mind. I'll always take freebies XD

God, I got so many Event Pokemon thinking about it. Though I missed Diance I do have two Gensects.

In regards to freebies...if you want to send me some event pokemon, I won't complain XD

Muku

Anyone running a Pokemon theme on their 3DS? Curious about how folks like any they have right now. Still loving the hanafuda one, but always on look out. Tempted with the reggae Slowbropoke one. :x

Edit: Brain dead tonight...

JoeM86

Anyone running a Pokemon theme on their 3DS? Curious about how folks like any they have right now. Still loving the hanafuda one, but always on look out. Tempted with the reggae Slowbropoke one. :x

Edit: Brain dead tonight...

I have mine on rotation on my Japanese 3DS

B_zS-mHWIAEpOId.png:large

All 7 :D

Hegarol

Sry for the double post.

Looking for someone to help me bring an egg from AS to X as I don't have my second 3DS with me at the moment.

I've got a strong urge to dust off my 3DS and I also have been feeling some nostalgia for Pokemon. Will I enjoy ORAS if I didnt enjoy XY very much and dont do competitive battles?

Muku

That's cool :) You guys said there are other contests right? I would love to have the opportunity to participate in those especially if you give away Diancies XD

We tend to hold things here from time to time. Especially helpful if an event or something is going on like the Scrap Campaign in Japan. (BTW if anyone has codes for that still, redeem them soon!! It's already the 28th in Japan. They expire on 30th at 2359JST.)

Edit: Will note here if anyone needs help claiming any before it expires, send me a message.

Sorry to hear about that loss Lupinko :( i don't post on the Pokemon boards a lot but always recognized your name as a passionate collector who is really helpful to other fans of the games too.

Not really a comparable situation, but maybe 6 years ago i sold my Pokemon Diamond cart which had my entire Gen 3 and 4 collection including some stuff like Shadow Purified Lugia which was a nightmare to get. I was going through a bit of a "throw out everything" phase but damn i sometimes wish i hadn't been so reckless.

Anyhow i'm sure you'll pick yourself up :) i think i might have a couple extras of some of the PAL events i'll take a look later.

We tend to hold things here from time to time. Especially helpful if an event or something is going on like the Scrap Campaign in Japan. (BTW if anyone has codes for that still, redeem them soon!! It's already the 28th in Japan. They expire on 30th at 2359JST.)

That's good to hear. Thank you for the heads up.

Top Bottom