• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Hegarol

Dude, why do you think I'm participating with such a trashy team? XD

I've actually got two games registered for the cup (one in German to receive some Gamescom Pokemon).
Got two games in the tournament as well. Main game (AS) and farming game (OR) ;)

How was the situation at gamescom? Heard there were very few codes available. Couldn't go this year and I am currently trying to get codes from eBay but its really expensive.

Got two games in the tournament as well. Main game (AS) and farming game (OR) ;)

How was the situation at gamescom? Heard there were very few codes available. Couldn't go this year and I am currently trying to get codes from eBay but its really expensive.

Turn 1 forfeit was too boring for me, so I'm just gonna watch my team get mauled instead...

Just did one battle on my German game and it was funny because I have no idea what any of my Pokemon's moves are. Not that it matters since I get ORKO by Earthquake : P

I didn't go to Gamescom, but yeah the codes are kinda tough to get. Fortunately, thanks to lupinko's Japanese events, I've got deals for a complete set. I'm sure he'll be happy to receive them : )

EDIT: 3 battles done. Hmm, dunno if my pride can take 3 losses on my main file. Ah, whatever, Pikachu is more important, haha.

Andrefpvs

Seeing people with Cosplay Pikachu or not bringing regular Pikachu into battle.

edit: LOL I won one of my matches! With my level 14 Pikachu xD

The opponent didn't seem to be very skilled, but still! Level 14 Pikachu. On the field for 6 turns!

Battle code, if you're curious: 8J9W-WWWW-WW2K-DDC7

Anustart

How is it that my honedge has a destiny knot, 3 perfect ivs, but when bred I'm getting children with only 1 perfect iv? I thought the knot passed down 5 ivs, so if it rolled all 3 non perfect, the minimum would be 2 perfect?

Anyone have an extra of those perfect dittos?

Seil

How is it that my honedge has a destiny knot, 3 perfect ivs, but when bred I'm getting children with only 1 perfect iv? I thought the knot passed down 5 ivs, so if it rolled all 3 non perfect, the minimum would be 2 perfect?

Anyone have an extra of those perfect dittos?

Normally 3 IVs pass down from the parents, Destiny Knot makes 5 IVs pass down from the parents. It doesn't mean 5 of the holder's IVs pass down specifically. You'd only get a guaranteed 2 perfect in that situation if the other parent was a 6IV Pokemon.

Also I'll respond to the PM here as well haha, I'm available now if you want to get that luxury Honedge. My FC is in my profile.

Edit: Technically speaking, you could guarantee at least 2 perfect IVs without the other parent having all 6 31s, but it'd require that both parents at minimum have the same three 31's.

Anustart

Normally 3 IVs pass down from the parents, Destiny Knot makes 5 IVs pass down from the parents. It doesn't mean 5 of the holder's IVs pass down specifically. You'd only get a guaranteed 2 perfect in that situation if the other parent was a 6IV Pokemon.

Also I'll respond to the PM here as well haha, I'm available now if you want to get that luxury Honedge. My FC is in my profile.

Edit: Technically speaking, you could guarantee at least 2 perfect IVs without the other parent having all 6 31s, but it'd require that both parents at minimum have the same three 31's.

Adding now! Thanks, mines in profile too.

Thanks for honedge :3

Qurupeke

Pikachu survived an Electrivire 's Ice Punch at something more than 3/4 of its health and I won the match. It's way sturdier than I imagined. Also, I got a match that it ended with Pikachu vs Pikachu and it was one Grass Knot after the other.

I'm currently at 16-7, the 2nd day was great so far.

Cindro

What is this Pikachu tournament stuff everyone keeps referencing? I'm guessing it's some sort of timed online event in ORAS?

Do you get something cool by participating and/or winning? I've basically stayed away from random online Pokemon battles since, uh, always, so I'm not sure how much I'm missing out on.

Qurupeke

What is this Pikachu tournament stuff everyone keeps referencing? I'm guessing it's some sort of timed online event in ORAS?

Do you get something cool by participating and/or winning? I've basically stayed away from random online Pokemon battles since, uh, always, so I'm not sure how much I'm missing out on.
It's an online competition in ORAS. The reward is a Pikachu with Endeavor if Pikachu is one of the most used Pokemon. You only gave Electric types so it's kind of fun to experiment with such sets. There's not any reward for winning other than bragging rights.

Busaiku

Bleh, wish I spent some time breeding stuff.
Only have a Pikachu.

Oh well, gonna rock all the main rodents.

Wait, Cosplay Pikachu doesn't count towards the Pikachu goal?

Busaiku

Welp, lost all 5 battles.
Not surprising when my highest non-Pikachu was 25, I had no items besides Light Ball, and non-Pikachus only had their level up moves.

How many battles do I need to get the prize?

I think I want to make a legit Electric rodent team now.

JoeM86

Welp, lost all 5 battles.
Not surprising when my highest non-Pikachu was 25, I had no items besides Light Ball, and non-Pikachus only had their level up moves.

How many battles do I need to get the prize?

I think I want to make a legit Electric rodent team now.

Just the three

StoneFox

Pikachu survived an Electrivire 's Ice Punch at something more than 3/4 of its health and I won the match. It's way sturdier than I imagined. Also, I got a match that it ended with Pikachu vs Pikachu and it was one Grass Knot after the other.

I'm currently at 16-7, the 2nd day was great so far.
I used Pikachu in normal Doubles for a while. An Adamant Pikachu with 31 defense IVs is guaranteed to survive a Rock Slide from a Garchomp, which I always thought was funny. Yay spread damage! xD a garchomp rock slide never killed my pikachu lol

lupinko

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that what I saw had an English name.

Can Japanese games use English characters? If not, then Gamefreak's hack check sucks.

I can't speak for Gen 5, but for Gen 6 any game can get any event that is local and I think even infrared. Now any Pokemon via code or internet is locked to that game's region.

They didn't do multilanguage until Gen 6.

So to check, look up that Pikachu's event.

Qurupeke

Pikachu Cup Competition is over for me, I played all the 45 battles. Tbh, I should had stopped during Day 2 when I was 1650~. Now I ended up just above 1500 with 24-21.

Some things I noticed:

1) Other than things like Eelectross, M Ampharos and especially Electrivire, along with Pikachus here and there, there was some variety, at least to the degree it was possible. Some interesting Pokemon like Tailwind Emolga, some people using both Barrier and Reflect with combinations like Rotom(btw it was mostly normal Rotoms and Grass Rotoms), or even the Pachirisu trick that one of the finalists used last year.

2) I've posted my team here before and my main Pokemon was Heliolisk... which I totally fucked up. I put Surf to it at the last minute, no Protect and I forgot it could learn Hyper Voice in ORAS, which btw was totally destroying my team when people used it against me. I used Sunny Day with Jolteon pretty often but it didn't really work that great. My leads were usually Jolteon+Mega Manectric and they worked great against Electrivire but Stunfisk was really problematic. I don't think I won against any team with Stunfisk. I expected a lot of these but still with stuff like Weakness Policy they were a beast. Certainly my most feared Pokemon in the Cup.

3)About Pikachu, I actually enjoyed seeing people using this. Some interesting variety with Volt Tackle, Feint, Grass Knot, Encore, Reversal and the overused Fake Out. My Pikachu was a Lonely Nature, which I kind of regret as the opponent usually would outspeed me with his Pikachu and Fake Out.

4)I found Eelectross to be the real mvp. Levitate, hits pretty hard, had a great moveset that could counter Pokemon like Heliolisk and M Ampharos and could take several hits. Also, I was surprised that almost everyone used it, I expected a lot less.

5) For better or worse, my team was the only Sun Team I encountered. I feel unique. lol

Overall, I could do a lot better but at least it was fun and I learned a few things. And damn, I should update my Heliolisk, I really forgot how many useful Move Tutors moves it learned. Also, do we know when the next Competition will be? Maybe around late September-early October?

JoeM86

Breeding a Dream Ball HA Emolga for lupinko and this beauty arrives

CNGMazuXAAAukKG.png

Jolly. Motor Drive. Max in HP, Sp. Def and Speed, but Outstanding Potential

I'm not much for speculation or wishing for things but in recreating my Soul Silver team in X/Y, I would like to see a Mega Rapidash. It should have wings so that it looks like a Pegasus while keeping the horn.

Busaiku

I can't speak for Gen 5, but for Gen 6 any game can get any event that is local and I think even infrared. Now any Pokemon via code or internet is locked to that game's region.

They didn't do multilanguage until Gen 6.

So to check, look up that Pikachu's event.
It was a local Japanese distribution for 5th gen, but that should still prevent renaming it to English, shouldn't it?
Also, if it had Volt Tackle, it was definitely hacked.

lupinko

It was a local Japanese distribution for 5th gen, but that should still prevent renaming it to English, shouldn't it?
Also, if it had Volt Tackle, it was definitely hacked.

Well if Gen 5 worked like Gen 6 on local distros then when picked up the Pokemon matches the game's language, so eg when I went to do some custom requests for event Pokemon, I had my games set to those requested language, so Yanchamu would become Pancham.

But that sounds hacked if it had moves it normally didn't have like Volt Tackle.

Edit: This is what I have so far with Emolga.

Baton Pass
Substitute / Taunt
Air Slash
Charge Beam / T-Wave / Thunderbolt
Motor Drive
Timid @leftovers
252 HP/4 SpA/252 Spe

Any suggestions? With motor drive and charge beams I can baton pass Speed and SpA boosts, also it'd have decent bulk in addition to lefties. Charge Beam and Air Slash both are stab, and Thunderbolt if I want to forgo the special boosts.

Although that could be two movesets in itself, I could also do Bold.

I kinda want to get back into trying to do a VGC team again.

Any suggestions?

StoneFox

You could try running a Focus Sash Emolga that can Baton Pass Agility onto a teammate. I'm not sure if Emolga can do much on its own.

backlot

Baton Pass doesn't really work in doubles. It takes too long to set up and you have to worry about getting double targeted. If you want to mess around with set up Pokemon you're better off going with a Fake Out or redirection Pokemon like Amoonguss or Clefairy and a Pokemon that can set up its own boosts like Belly Drum Azumarill or Quiver Dance Volcarona.

Busaiku

Speaking of Clefairy, maybe it was just me, but why did I see it, and not Clefable at VGC?
Eviolite would have its Sp. Def higher, but Def and HP are still lower.

lupinko

I mean, do you really ever expect to pass on Substitute?

I forgot for a second there that Substitue could also be passed.

Baton Pass doesn't really work in doubles. It takes too long to set up and you have to worry about getting double targeted. If you want to mess around with set up Pokemon you're better off going with a Fake Out or redirection Pokemon like Amoonguss or Clefairy and a Pokemon that can set up its own boosts like Belly Drum Azumarill or Quiver Dance Volcarona.

Ah okay, I guess I can move Emolga over to a singles team or something. I'd like to use that flying squirrel in some capacity.

Right now I've just ran teams of legendaries with sometimes Haxorus.

I got out of the whole battling and breeding side of the game when I got big into farming and trading.

So has the meta grown stale or is this just what happens when Japanese players get decent representation at Worlds?

https://twitter.com/pokeisamu411/status/635632732278620160
Rough translation: "Only this year were teams all constructed the same way."

Anyways, I think what happened was that the Japanese decided to make teams that basically just plowed through everything while stopping the opponent from plowing through their own team instead of going the anti-meta approach other nations liked to use at past Worlds, and a lot of them came up with very similar teams because Mega Kanga and crew are just so good at doing that.

That and random shit isn't as strong in this format as it was in '14 due to having a lot more good and bulky mons thanks to all the legendaries.

It's not like the Japanese just copied each other though. The differences are in the details this year. Shame we don't know the EV spreads but some of them will probably be posted later on on Japanese blogs.

Friend and I used to joke about a thing that would stop dragons and, at the time, Gliscor:
Icicles, Ice Type, 20 PP
The user sprays cold water above the opponent's team which freezes. They fall and hurt opponents that switch into battle.
Kind of a nuclear option to ruin the teams that won, but an ice-type stealth rock would definitely shake things up. :p

Top Bottom