• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Paltheos

Congrats!!! Hope you enjoy it a lot!

I'm still working on mine from time to time, it's been 3 months. I'm only 3 mons short of getting the shiny charm (one of which is Ho-Oh, which I'll have to borrow from a friend), so maybe I'll cave in and grab it once shiny Xerneas is delivered and I feel like evolving my Togetic into Togekiss.

PM me if you want to finish filling your dex. I don't mind filling in the holes. That's part of the reason I got a living dex to begin with.

EndMerit

Wow, 10 minutes of Wonder Trading and I got Alakazam, Haunter and legit Zygarde. I hope they like my 4IV Charmander and Smeargle...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
PM me if you want to finish filling your dex. I don't mind filling in the holes. That's part of the reason I got a living dex to begin with.
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that! But I'm actually pretty close to finishing it: other than the mythicals that will be delivered later this year, I'm only missing Ho-Oh (still looking for a shiny one in OR), Togekiss (got a Togetic ready to be power leveled in a Blissey Base one of these days, along with a Shiny Stone that I'll use once it has learned the moves I want) and Xerneas (which will be distributed -in its shiny coloration, no less!- in a couple of days).

It feels good knowing that I'm finally nearing the goal of having a living dex. If I can manage to grab every mythical, then my only problem will be shiny Ho-Oh, as it doesn't seem to want to appear anytime soon. Oh, and Volcanion too, unless it gets a worldwide distribution or I can acquire a US code once (if?) they go out.

Paltheos

It's your call, bro, but not at least filling the entry to improve your chances seems like a waste of time. You quadruple your chances. No way I'd have gone shiny hunting without it.

Muku

I don't think I have anything worthy : (

Sent you a PM a few moments ago.

Edit: Got ya covered chief.

So, went to my appointment today. As I was leaving, the lady behind the counter said she liked my shirt. It's a Pokemon shirt with a Pokeball that says "Gotta catch'em all!" Thanked her. Went to restroom before leaving. As I exit the restroom and go to leave, she calls out and says "Oh, take this." I was like "Eh?" Walk over and take the small slip of paper she's holding out. It was Bulbasaur. :O Made it awesome because that was my first Pokemon ever. She then goes "Yeah, we have a paper over there. It says 'It's dangerous to go alone. Take this.'" At the bottom had the starters to pull off. Was so awesome. :D

Also, while downtown I nabbed a couple more Darkrai codes. One of the stores ran out but was able to print me one out. They had codes, just no longer the cards. So that was cool. Sooooo.... if you are still in need of a Darkrai, let me know.

Muku

Caught my shiny Ho-Oh!

Less than 100 SRs. Synch didn't work, but still blown away by my luck. Definitely a first for me.

Congrats!

After first few where synch didn't work for them, I said screw it and threw trying to synch mine out the window. Been a bit better since. I feel like I have a better chance with the RNG than the syncher LOL ><

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's your call, bro, but not at least filling the entry to improve your chances seems like a waste of time. You quadruple your chances. No way I'd have gone shiny hunting without it.
You know, I think you're right. It'd be best to have the shiny charm as soon as possible. If you're OK with it, I could send you a PM later to ask you (temporarily, of course!) for a Ho-Oh so I can "own" it in the game's Pokedex. I have class tonight, so it probably won't be today. Thanks a lot for the offer!

So, went to my appointment today. As I was leaving, the lady behind the counter said she liked my shirt. It's a Pokemon shirt with a Pokeball that says "Gotta catch'em all!" Thanked her. Went to restroom before leaving. As I exit the restroom and go to leave, she calls out and says "Oh, take this." I was like "Eh?" Walk over and take the small slip of paper she's holding out. It was Bulbasaur. :O Made it awesome because that was my first Pokemon ever. She then goes "Yeah, we have a paper over there. It says 'It's dangerous to go alone. Take this.'" At the bottom had the starters to pull off. Was so awesome. :D
Hahaha this is beautiful. Imagine if it had all 721 mons, how big would that paper need to be?

Caught my shiny Ho-Oh!

Less than 100 SRs. Synch didn't work, but still blown away by my luck. Definitely a first for me.
Congrats! That's a lot of luck indeed, color me jealous :p

Muku

I guess I should try to hurry up my shiny hunting now eh? >< (Soon as I got shiny charm in AS, I went shiny hunting. I've not beaten it.)

Paltheos

You know, I think you're right. It'd be best to have the shiny charm as soon as possible. If you're OK with it, I could send you a PM later to ask you (temporarily, of course!) for a Ho-Oh so I can "own" it in the game's Pokedex. I have class tonight, so it probably won't be today. Thanks a lot for the offer!

No problem, man. Let me know.

turbocat

Thanks to all for the congrats. I've moved on to Heatran now, and did some SRing for about 45 minutes today.

Do you guys have good methods of tallying? I haven't been doing so thus far, but am potentially interested in doing so on my next SR hunt.

Muku

Thanks to all for the congrats. I've moved on to Heatran now, and did some SRing for about 45 minutes today.

Do you guys have good methods of tallying? I haven't been doing so thus far, but am potentially interested in doing so on my next SR hunt.

I just keep open a text file and edit my number. Nothing special. Sometimes I do it each time, sometimes I count to 5 or 10 before editing it. If there is an easier way I am all for it.

Seil

I just keep open a text file and edit my number. Nothing special. Sometimes I do it each time, sometimes I count to 5 or 10 before editing it. If there is an easier way I am all for it.

1) Open a calculator.
2) X + 1, where X is the number you're starting at
3) Hit Enter to increase by 1

Keep a text file or something with the numbers when you end a session.

Edit: It makes incrementing just take a single button press, so that's the route I go for stuff like that. No constant editing/replacing.

Muku

1) Open a calculator.
2) X + 1, where X is the number you're starting at
3) Hit Enter to increase by 1

Keep a text file or something with the numbers when you end a session.

Edit: It makes incrementing just take a single button press, so that's the route I go for stuff like that. No constant editing/replacing.

Yeah, I don't have calcs around. Well not solar ones anyway. Have an old TI one but meh. Batteries. I figure about calculator, but still work. You could as easily do tick marks on paper in 5's.

Also, dem Shiny Xerneas are up. Get dems.

Seil

Yeah, I don't have calcs around. Well not solar ones anyway. Have an old TI one but meh. Batteries. I figure about calculator, but still work. You could as easily do tick marks on paper in 5's.

Also, dem Shiny Xerneas are up. Get dems.

You mentioned a text file. I meant the calculator program that you're guaranteed to have included lol.

You're literally pressing a single key every encounter x.x (or every 5 encounters, if you do +5 instead, or whatever. It repeats your last calculation whenever you hit =/Enter, so 0 + 10 = 10, hit enter again = 20, again = 30.)

Muku

You mentioned a text file. I meant the calculator program that you're guaranteed to have included lol.

You're literally pressing a single key every encounter x.x

Okay but still then it's work. :p I actually started out doing that but felt like it was just easier to +1 each time in text file. And it wouldn't be a single key. It would be at min 2. So not really saving time or anything on it.

Seil

Okay but still then it's work. :p I actually started out doing that but felt like it was just easier to +1 each time in text file. And it wouldn't be a single key. It would be at min 2. So not really saving time or anything on it.

No, it's a single key after you set it up. Just added in that it repeats your last operation whenever you hit enter. You add once the long way, incrementing just takes hitting Enter.

It's far less work than editing the number in a text file every time lol.

Muku

No, it's a single key after you set it up. Just added in that it repeats your last operation whenever you hit enter. You add once the long way, incrementing just takes hitting Enter.

It's far less work than editing the number in a text file every time lol.

Okay, so you repeat it. But still doesn't kill the time to wait on reset. I guess that's why I don't mind editing the # each time. So much time wasted on resetting every time.

Seil

Okay, so you repeat it. But still doesn't kill the time to wait on reset. I guess that's why I don't mind editing the # each time. So much time wasted on resetting every time.

If there is an easier way I am all for it.

I only quoted you because you said you'd be for an easier way. Which I provided =p Doesn't really matter if you make use of the information, I just provided it lol.

It more than halves the number of keypresses you have to make, since you also don't have to manually change the tens, hundreds, thousands... places.

Muku

I only quoted you because you said you'd be for an easier way. Which I provided =p Doesn't really matter if you make use of the information, I just provided it lol.

It more than halves the number of keypresses you have to make, since you also don't have to manually change the tens, hundreds, thousands... places.

Wouldn't call it easier, other than maybe one key total. I do think I need to get a battery for my calculator though so I can be away from my computer. Actually what I need is one of those hand held things. Click once and be done XD

Seil

Wouldn't call it easier, other than maybe one key total. I do think I need to get a battery for my calculator though so I can be away from my computer. Actually what I need is one of those hand held things. Click once and be done XD

I'd definitely call it easier. It's not like we're talking 2 key presses ever here.

1 to 10, editing every time is

1 = 1 keypress
2 = 3 (remove 1, replace with 2)
3 = 5
4 = 7
5 = 9
6 = 11
7 = 13
8 = 15
9 = 17
10 = 20

with the calculator that'd be

1 = 1 keypress
2 = 4 ( +, 1, enter)
3 = 5
4 = 6
5 = 7
6 = 8
7 = 9
8 = 10
9 = 11
10 = 12

Just over half the presses getting to 10. Every increment of 10, 100 etc means extra work when editing the number, but incrementing is always 1 keypress on the calculator. Saves hundreds/thousands of keypresses in the end. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't matter when you're just thinking about time between resets because either way you have plenty, but I'd rather press 500 keys than over 1000, personally lol. Plus the comparison still applies when using multiples of 5 or 10.

But yeah you could also get a tally counter =p

Muku

I'd definitely call it easier. It's not like we're talking 2 key presses ever here.

1 to 10, editing every time is

1 = 1 keypress
2 = 3 (remove 1, replace with 2)
3 = 5
4 = 7
5 = 9
6 = 11
7 = 13
8 = 15
9 = 17
10 = 20

with the calculator that'd be

1 = 1 keypress
2 = 4 ( +, 1, enter)
3 = 5
4 = 6
5 = 7
6 = 8
7 = 9
8 = 10
9 = 11
10 = 12

Just over half the presses getting to 10. Every increment of 10, 100 etc means extra work when editing the number, but incrementing is always 1 keypress on the calculator. Saves hundreds/thousands of keypresses in the end. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't matter when you're just thinking about time between resets because either way you have plenty, but I'd rather press 500 keys than over 1000, personally lol. Plus the comparison still applies when using multiples of 5 or 10.

But yeah you could also get a tally counter =p

I know you're going for strokes, but easier for me isn't so much the strokes. Since I'm killing time anyways. It's just wanting the quick note. Though I guess what I like now is I don't have to remember to go and edit file, as I'm already doing it.

On a side note, still have Darkrai codes if anyone needs.

Kssio_Aug

I've just beaten the League Champion! :D
Crestis rolling...

Loved it! Will keep playing until Sun and Moon. Didn't play X/Y though.

Muku

As soon as they announced the dates for all this year for the main ones I put them in my calendar. XD But I am also in Pokemon communities on FB so it's hard to miss. Especially when things come out early.

Alright, I've been too lazy to soft reset for nature/IVs on most of the previous Mystery Gift legendaries... but I think I'm gonna go for it on this shiny Xerneas. Seems like Modest is the way to go for nature for it's moveset, but I'm wondering how picky I should be on the IVs.

I suppose I'll just see how long it takes to get a Modest and start from there :p

Have any of you got all five trophies in the battle maison?

I am still missing the doubles and rotation trophies. (I almost got the doubles trophy but lost in the high 40's). I want to get them before Sun/Moon comes out but I wanted to get the last two with a Shiny Mega Charizard X. The problem is that I can't seem to be able to breed one. I have almost three boxes of 5 31 IV charmanders and I have the Shiny Charm and am using the Masuda method but it is taking forever. It was so much easier in Black where I could use RNG abuse to get shiny pokemon on the first try. I wanted to get my first shiny pokemon with a pentagon (not through wonder card) but I'm starting to wish I had bred a shiny charmander in Black before transferring up all my pokemon. Plus, I'm betting the pentagon will be pointless in Sun/Moon anyway.

EndMerit

Finally managed to trade myself a Diancie. Now I just have to capture few more in-game legendaries and get couple of difficult evolutions like Magmortar and Rhyperior, but I think this is the year I'll finally complete my pokedex.

Seil

Finally managed to trade myself a Diancie. Now I just have to capture few more in-game legendaries and get couple of difficult evolutions like Magmortar and Rhyperior, but I think this is the year I'll finally complete my pokedex.

I have more BP than I could ever possibly use, so I can help with Magmortar and Rhyperior if you supply the Magmar and Rhydon lol.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome!
How do you guys keep up with these? Do you have notifications or something?

I missed out on Jirachi -_____-
Do you need a Jirachi? I can give you a spare one. Have some extra Zygarde too.

As soon as they announced the dates for all this year for the main ones I put them in my calendar. XD But I am also in Pokemon communities on FB so it's hard to miss. Especially when things come out early.
Yep, if you check this thread every now and then it's virtually impossible to miss it. Plus I have a WhatsApp group with a couple of friends where we talk about Pokemon (and other games too, but the name and avatar are Poke-related, and we created it last year when one of them started playing his first Pokemon game), so someone will always remember and let the others know.

I still hate myself for missing both Vivillon distributions. I don't care about having all the patterns, but there are two that I'll never be able to have.

Yep, if you check this thread every now and then it's virtually impossible to miss it. Plus I have a WhatsApp group with a couple of friends where we talk about Pokemon (and other games too, but the name and avatar are Poke-related, and we created it last year when one of them started playing his first Pokemon game), so someone will always remember and let the others know.

I still hate myself for missing both Vivillon distributions. I don't care about having all the patterns, but there are two that I'll never be able to have.
I have a NA pokeball pattern wondercard that I haven't picked up yet. PM if you're interested.

Turns out I'm mildly overstocked on Fancy and Pokeball Vivillon. Considering your largess in offering out spare Jirachi, I can likely peel you off an extra of each of those.

IGN: MacGurcules
FC: 2981-6887-2789

Might have to be later in the day, but if we can line something up, I'll help you out.

Seil

Could someone point me to a good guide, that explain from the basics, everything about Pokemon breeding?

Probably honestly best to just read the Bulbapedia page on the topic to learn about the actual mechanics.

Once you understand how everything works, that's when guides/tips about how to best go about it become useful imo. I could write out a step-by-step thing, but that's easier when not simultaneously explaining why for everything haha.

Azuran

Banned
Could someone point me to a good guide, that explain from the basics, everything about Pokemon breeding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EvTM_GXbFk

Youtube has a lot of useful ones. My advice is to take it slow at first and fully learn the process before you start taking shortcuts. It helps a lot in the long run when you know what you want to do instead of following steps from other people. Just like math, it helps a lot more to actually do it in-game instead of just reading guides. You're going to learn a lot more and quicker by being hands-on.

Kssio_Aug

Probably honestly best to just read the Bulbapedia page on the topic to learn about the actual mechanics.

Once you understand how everything works, that's when guides/tips about how to best go about it become useful imo. I could write out a step-by-step thing, but that's easier when not simultaneously explaining why for everything haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EvTM_GXbFk

Youtube has a lot of useful ones. My advice is to take it slow at first and fully learn the process before you start taking shortcuts. It helps a lot in the long run when you know what you want to do instead of following steps from other people. Just like math, it helps a lot more to actually do it in-game instead of just reading guides. You're going to learn a lot more and quicker by being hands-on.

Thank you both! I read and watch it! =)

turbocat

Have any of you got all five trophies in the battle maison?

I am still missing the doubles and rotation trophies. (I almost got the doubles trophy but lost in the high 40's). I want to get them before Sun/Moon comes out but I wanted to get the last two with a Shiny Mega Charizard X. The problem is that I can't seem to be able to breed one. I have almost three boxes of 5 31 IV charmanders and I have the Shiny Charm and am using the Masuda method but it is taking forever. It was so much easier in Black where I could use RNG abuse to get shiny pokemon on the first try. I wanted to get my first shiny pokemon with a pentagon (not through wonder card) but I'm starting to wish I had bred a shiny charmander in Black before transferring up all my pokemon. Plus, I'm betting the pentagon will be pointless in Sun/Moon anyway.

Don't get discouraged. I hatched around 2500 Squirtles before I finally got a shiny, and this was with the Shiny Charm and MM. It's all just about putting in the time if you really want one. It's frustrating, but you can do it!

If you read and still have questions, feel free to PM me, though posting questions here will get you answers as well.

Big Brett

I've completely missed out on these Legendary codes that people are talking about so does anyone have spares for a forgetful Gaffer >_<

Top Bottom