• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Seil

Hmm. Is there a pokemon that gives a 2 EV? I thought it's just 1. Shouldn't it be 4 only with power items?

Sorry, if my math sucks

Some Pokemon give 1, 2 or 3 EVs. Chansey gives 2 HP, Blissey gives 3 HP - for example.

A Power item gives 4 EVs in its associated stat.

Macho Brace doubles the EVs acquired from a Pokemon.

Pokerus doubles EVs acquired through battle.

--

So, if you defeat a Pokemon worth 1 Speed EV with a Power Anklet equipped, you'd get 5 Speed EVs. With Pokerus, you'd get 10. 2 from the Pokemon and 8 from the Power Anklet.

Lexxism

Power items add 4, they don't double the EVs. Also there are pokemon that give 2 or 3 EVs, but they're typically not found in the wild as commonly, and therefore aren't as good for EV training. Weepingbells in XY give 2 each, for example.

Mons give 1 to 3 EVs. Adding Power Items makes it 5 to 7, and then PokeRUS turns that into 10 to 14.

All you need to know is that with the right power item and RUS, each mon in a horde gives 10 EVs.

Some Pokemon give 1, 2 or 3 EVs. Chansey gives 2 HP, Blissey gives 3 HP - for example.

A Power item gives 4 EVs in its associated stat.

Macho Brace doubles the EVs acquired from a Pokemon.

Pokerus doubles EVs acquired through battle.

--

So, if you defeat a Pokemon worth 1 Speed EV with a Power Anklet equipped, you'd get 5 Speed EVs. With Pokerus, you'd get 10. 2 from the Pokemon and 8 from the Power Anklet.

Ah, geez. Thanks for the enlightenment. I felt stupid. Thank you again

Seil

The method for getting the Johto, Sinnoh and Unova starters is hilarious.

And unfortunate =( I was really hoping to be able to capture at least one more set of starters in luxury balls, preferably with their HA. I figured they'd put them on a rare mirage island or something if Friend Safari didn't return, but no luck x.x

MattyG

Banned
I keep seeing people mention Luxury Balls. What is the advantage to them? I always just use Ultra Balls in the late game, but should I be using specialty balls?

I keep seeing people mention Luxury Balls. What is the advantage to them? I always just use Ultra Balls in the late game, but should I be using specialty balls?

Luxury balls have sex appeal.

Special balls do have advantages though. Generally quick balls and dark balls are the best for catching pokemon. Quick balls have a really high chance to catch on the first turn (so you just chuck one, instead of weakening it), and dark balls have a really high catch rate at night or in caves.

Seil

Advantages are
1) Looks great
2) Increases the rate of friendship/happiness gain
3) Looks amazing
4) Looks awesome
5) Looks incredible

=p

Since females pass their ball down to offspring, I like having everything in Luxury balls. Currently, the only breedable female Pokemon that cannot be in luxury balls are Archen, Tyrunt, Amaura and the Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova starters. And those are the only ones I'm missing x.x

Velcro Fly

This whole game feels like I'm playing battle tower. I'm just so sick of every 10 or 30% status hitting, hurting myself in confusion 4 times in a row before snapping out, getting hax crit to have something weak I'm struggling to raise knocked out.

This whole game feels like I'm playing battle tower. I'm just so sick of every 10 or 30% status hitting, hurting myself in confusion 4 times in a row before snapping out, getting hax crit to have something weak I'm struggling to raise knocked out.

you know nothing of Battle Towers difficulty friend
NOTHING
Battle Frontier in general would of swallowed you up and spit you out

cafemomo

w5038Au.png

Seil

There needs to be a 2-4 panel comic of this asap.

Also how do I get Dustox again? Evolve Wurmple at night? I also really like Surskit now for some reason.

Wurmple's evolution to Silcoon or Cascoon is decided by the Wurmple's personality value so it's really just a luck thing on the player's part.

Muku

That's why for my team since X/Y I choose a couple of Pokemon (though in X I did my whole team) to work with in Amie thing. Usually go for 4 to 5 in happiness or whatever it's called there. Being able to shed those things or completely avoid them is damn awesome.

In my AS run I chose Mew and Umbreon as my ones I got 5 with. Though tempted to work on Beldum a bit too.

WonderPup

Okay.

I've been SRing for a Timid Latias for the last hour, trying to get something close to 31/xx/31/31/31/31, and it's not going well. I think I'm doing something wrong. Please tell me if anything sounds wrong.

I fainted a Timid Synchronize Ralts, and I put it at the head of my party. I start the cutscene. I beat the bad guys (my Lombre leads due to the fainted Ralts). Latias joins my party. I check the nature, and it's never Timid -- over and over.

I've heard wild claims that Synchronizing on Latias/Latios is 100%. I would expect it to be 50%, personally. But I've done it around twenty times, and....I don't know that I can say Synchronize works in this instance.

Give me hope, PokéGAF.

Yrael

Okay.

I've been SRing for a Timid Latias for the last hour, trying to get something close to 31/xx/31/31/31/31, and it's not going well. I think I'm doing something wrong. Please tell me if anything sounds wrong.

I fainted a Timid Synchronize Ralts, and I put it at the head of my party. I start the cutscene. I beat the bad guys (my Lombre leads due to the fainted Ralts). Latias joins my party. I check the nature, and it's never Timid -- over and over.

I've heard wild claims that Synchronizing on Latias/Latios is 100%. I would expect it to be 50%, personally. But I've done it around twenty times, and....I don't know that I can say Synchronize works in this instance.

Give me hope, PokéGAF.

That's...odd. I did the same and was able to get a Timid Latias every time.

Are you sending the fainted Ralts back to your PC to make room for the Latias? That's the only reason I could think of that would make the Synchronize trick not work.

WonderPup

That's...odd. I did the same and was able to get a Timid Latias every time.

Are you sending the fainted Ralts back to your PC to make room for the Latias? That's the only reason I could think of that would make the Synchronize trick not work.

I...dammit. Thank you.

macklelol

Okay.

Give me hope, PokéGAF.
Are you sending back your Ralts to your PC when you get Latias? I heard that can cause issues.

Edit: Beaten lol

Azuran

Banned
Beat Brawly once again. It's actually going a lot smoother since I'm only working with 4 Pokemon at the moment instead of a full party. Also, those rich kids sure love their rematches and thanks to them I'm swimming in money so early into the game.

Velcro Fly

Six more levels for Swablu until it gets better typing, better stats, and a decent attack other than Round.

Although it is fun slaying Jigglypuff and other fairy types with Steel Wing with a pokemon that looks like it has cotton for wings.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really like how May being silent the whole game just makes brendan look like he's really trying to hit on her but is always too awkward to do so.

Busaiku

So I'm kinda lost in Shoal Cave.
My battery was dying, so I couldn't really check it out, but I think I've hit everywhere I could.
But I see that there's a 2nd floor, which I have no idea how to reach.

So I'm kinda lost in Shoal Cave.
My battery was dying, so I couldn't really check it out, but I think I've hit everywhere I could.
But I see that there's a 2nd floor, which I have no idea how to reach.
There are different times at which you can access those rooms.
Low Tide
High Tide

Low Tide is better because you can access the Ice Room and Snorunt. High Tide is when you surf on water.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really like how May being silent the whole game just makes brendan look like he's really trying to hit on her but is always too awkward to do so.

If you play as Brendan it's even funnier as it makes May seem unbearably thirsty. That said, GamFreak has come a long way with it's storytelling. Even compared to X/Y this is a pretty big leap, especially with the dexnav. Shit, the dexnav makes the story feel that much better as it combines the random encounter mechanic with the story mode legendary encounter one. If they upped the difficulty a bit and added some more exploration it would be far and away the GOAT game in the series.

WarAdept

DexNav is such a great addition. I feel more compelled to catch Pokemon now.

DexNav is the devil. Oh look I quite like this Pokemon. Hmm I'd like it if it has this HA. And maybe this egg move because having 120 BP at level 10 is hillarious. Oh it has a chance to give awesome IV's as well? Sure let's fish for that.

10 hours later

DexNav is the devil. Oh look I quite like this Pokemon. Hmm I'd like it if it has this HA. And maybe this egg move because having 120 BP at level 10 is hillarious. Oh it has a chance to give awesome IV's as well? Sure let's fish for that.

10 hours later
Currently doing that with Snorunt.

Search Level is at 191.

Dominator

Just got the first badge, I'm enjoying it so far. Trying to catch every Pokemon when I get to a new area, so all I have to do is look for that crown that shows up? Why are some of them bronze and some gold?

If you play as Brendan it's even funnier as it makes May seem unbearably thirsty. That said, GamFreak has come a long way with it's storytelling. Even compared to X/Y this is a pretty big leap, especially with the dexnav. Shit, the dexnav makes the story feel that much better as it combines the random encounter mechanic with the story mode legendary encounter one. If they upped the difficulty a bit and added some more exploration it would be far and away the GOAT game in the series.

if it just had battle frontier it would be GOAT :(

These are pretty much the best Pokemon games made.

Soar is an amazing feature, the new Megas are brilliantly designed, there are tons of Legendaries to catch, and the Delta episode might have the best story GF have crafted. Never cared about Battle Frontier apart from the PokeDome, so I'm not bothered with that being taken off either. The wealth of new content makes up for it many times over!

Seil

Just got the first badge, I'm enjoying it so far. Trying to catch every Pokemon when I get to a new area, so all I have to do is look for that crown that shows up? Why are some of them bronze and some gold?

There are four tiers. Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Some routes have more than one method of acquiring Pokemon and thus have more tiers to work through. If a route has water in it and grass, you may get Bronze for finding everything in the grass, silver for also getting everything from fishing and gold by also surfing. Diving is also a possible requirement as is finding the Pokemon that only appear after getting the National Dex.

Drago

Which HM is more important to always have for the main game, Waterfall or Dive? Are both important enough to always have or are both used sparingly enough that I can relegate the moves to an HM slave? I only want to have one or the other on my Sharpedo so it can still have an ice move at it's disposal but I'll deal with losing it if I should have all 3 water HMs on one Pokemon.

I've forgotten a lot about Hoenn geography. :p

Side note: holy crap Sharpedo surfing is so fuckin fast. I had no idea that Sharpedos can surf so fast in this game, really glad I'm using one now. :0

WarAdept

Which HM is more important to always have for the main game, Waterfall or Dive? Are both important enough to always have or are both used sparingly enough that I can relegate the moves to an HM slave? I only want to have one or the other on my Sharpedo so it can still have an ice move at it's disposal but I'll deal with losing it if I should have all 3 water HMs on one Pokemon.

I've forgotten a lot about Hoenn geography. :p

You never use Dive again to progress the story after finding the sub. You never use Waterfall again to progress the story after you get to Victory Road.

So once each really.

In <10 tries I got a Calm Cresselia with 31/28/28/31/28/31

I'm totally taking that for now. I have a save back-up in front of it so I can always go for a different natured one or one with better IVs later on if I wish. I even have 4 Synchronize Abra all fainted in that party, too, for maximum convenience.

For the small amount of tries I'm satisfied with this, however.

Dominator

There are four tiers. Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Some routes have more than one method of acquiring Pokemon and thus have more tiers to work through. If a route has water in it and grass, you may get Bronze for finding everything in the grass, silver for also getting everything from fishing and gold by also surfing. Diving is also a possible requirement as is finding the Pokemon that only appear after getting the National Dex.
Well damn, that's interesting and awesome. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom