• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

ahdurian

So many mons i want on my team...so little space..........
Just got done with Mt.Pyre and my team so far is

Lvl.35 Skarmory
Lvl.36 Gardevoir
Lvl.38 Shiftry
Lvl.40 Swampert

Thinking who I want for my 4/5s

Kinda want a Dusknoir, but got no one to trader with/don't have Reaper Cloth
Always had a softspot for Swallot, because of that freaking moustache
Aggron is tempting because of his MegaEvo
Metagross just because you get a shiny one for free
or even finding a way to get a Magnezone.

TOO MANY CHOICES RIGHT NOW AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE THE NATIONAL DEX

In <10 tries I got a Calm Cresselia with 31/28/28/31/28/31

I'm totally taking that for now. I have a save back-up in front of it so I can always go for a different natured one or one with better IVs later on if I wish. I even have 4 Synchronize Abra all fainted in that party, too, for maximum convenience.

For the small amount of tries I'm satisfied with this, however.

7.8/10 Cresselia, not enough perfect IVs

WarAdept

So many mons i want on my team...so little space..........
Just got done with Mt.Pyre and my team so far is

Lvl.35 Skarmory
Lvl.36 Gardevoir
Lvl.38 Shiftry
Lvl.40 Swampert

Thinking who I want for my 4/5s

Kinda want a Dusknoir, but got no one to trader with/don't have Reaper Cloth
Always had a softspot for Swallot, because of that freaking moustache
Aggron is tempting because of his MegaEvo
Metagross just because you get a shiny one for free
or even finding a way to get a Magnezone.

TOO MANY CHOICES RIGHT NOW AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE THE NATIONAL DEX

Flygon? Miltoic? Ludicolo?

Honestly all those suggestions you said are good (except for Metagross). Pick the ones you'd never dream of having in a team then have a blast smacking some gym leader with them.

Velcro Fly

Well I guess having three main pokemon for so long got me overleveled. And then after I stomp Flannery the game dumps me off in front of the next gym.

Team after four badges:

Marshtomp - 32
Manectric - 31
Shroomish - 31
Swablu - 29

Also have the standard Zigzagoon with pickup rocking some HMs.

one_kill

I want to create a living dex, but it's quite overwhelming. I would need to breed a whole lot of Pokemon, evolve a number of them, and organise boxes.

Good thing I've got everything I need in my XY cart. Just need to put in time and effort which I'm lacking haha

Flygon? Miltoic? Ludicolo?

Honestly all those suggestions you said are good (except for Metagross). Pick the ones you'd never dream of having in a team then have a blast smacking some gym leader with them.
What's wrong with Metagross?

yami4ct

Ok, I'm in love with Mega Swampert. Definitely going to make him+Politoed the center of my first ORAS competitive team. The rest is still up for grabs. Potentials right now I'm thinking Protean Greninja, Azumaril, Raichu and Talonflame are options, but I really need to sit down and work out some typing coverage there of course.

Hey I'm not bias. D:
I did it to Carvanha and Numel as well. :)

What's the best place to find Carvanha? I spent an hour and a half last night east of Mauville and only found 2 using the Good Rod. Seemed like the time you have to reel in for them is really short. I missed it a lot, even when I was paying attention.

DNAbro

What's the best place to find Carvanha? I spent an hour and a half last night east of Mauville and only found 2 using the Good Rod. Seemed like the time you have to reel in for them is really short. I missed it a lot, even when I was paying attention.

It's only like a 5% chance next to Mauville, and like 30% on the route right after in all the rain.

Velcro Fly

Also I'm guessing there isn't a convenient to get fighting TM anywhere?

I redeemed one of my 100 potion codes because I accidentally bought 20 ultra balls instead of 20 great balls and yeah I was broke :(

I found it on the sea route next to Mauville with a Good Rod.

After you catch it you can DexNav it, it'll show up as a hidden Pokemon in the ocean you can Surf to.
Also I'm guessing there isn't a convenient to get fighting TM anywhere?

I redeemed one of my 100 potion codes because I accidentally bought 20 ultra balls instead of 20 great balls and yeah I was broke :(
The PokeMart in Mauville sells Low Sweep iirc.

DNAbro

EV training a male ralts so I can get a pretty cool Gallade. Want one before taking on the Battle Maison cause it's totally the best pokemon ever.

Arclaid

I keep seeing people mention Luxury Balls. What is the advantage to them? I always just use Ultra Balls in the late game, but should I be using specialty balls?

Of course. For example, Dusk Balls give a x3.5 catch rate at night or in caves, while Ultra Balls only give x2. I think Quick Balls give x5 if used on the first turn. Repeat Balls give x3 on Pokemon you've already captured. Dive Balls are x3.5 when diving, but I'm not sure if that's also the case while surfing/fishing. Also, the Net Ball gives a x3 catch rate for water/bug mons.

Edit: Luxury Balls have the same capture rate as a regular Poke Ball, but increases friendship more quickly.

Dumped her in the box where she belongs.

High five!

Linius

Can I do this stealth, as in casually walk into the store with the DS in my backpack and I have it or do I have to take the blow to my ego and pull out my 3DS with pokemon and do something in the game? How does this work?

Usually you have to take out your 3DS with Pokémon event items. With any kind of event item actually I think.

I can come and hold your hand if you're afraid to do it alone.
Seriously, it's no big deal to bust out your 3DS in a game store man :p

Both of the male breeders in my base have the same 3 special skills. Are those determined by trainer type? If so, does anybody know what trainer type tells fortunes? I want those MAX O-powers... >_>

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the Regi dolls? Serebii's decoration page isn't very specific.

**Okay, just got a regice doll from the second one of these:
Lg2Vpxb.jpg

Alright, this guitar guy has "Tell my fortune"!

Cool, you can SR for your desired one. Now to spend all night SRing for "Hatching Power MAX"...

EDIT: Oh I see how this works. lol

one_kill

Secret Pals can have a skill that essentially gives you a random level 3 O-Power for an hour.
Ah I see
I had to read up on what secret pals are haha

ORAS is kinda overwhelming compared to XY
Should just focus on unlocking National Dex before diving into other mechanics

Seil

And finished EV training. A bit of a hassle but yay i can do stuff with this ralts now.

Why was it a hassle? Or well, I guess that could depend on where you are in the game and what you have at your disposal x.x I only really EV train things I breed in the postgame, though. So I just kind of assume people utilize hordes in Gen VI =p

DNAbro

Why was it a hassle? Or well, I guess that could depend on where you are in the game and what you have at your disposal x.x I only really EV train things I breed in the postgame, though. So I just kind of assume people utilize hordes in Gen VI =p

I just used super training. Kind of new at this.

Also if anybody wants to offer some advice for moves for my Gallade it's currently going to be
-Close Combat
-Psycho Cut
Then I'm trying to decide between Swords Dance, Poison Jab, or Thunder Punch. I want both Poison Jab and Thunder Punch to cover Fairy and Flying respectively but Swords Dance might be useful too.

Shun

Also if anybody wants to offer some advice for moves for my Gallade it's currently going to be
-Close Combat
-Psycho Cut
Then I'm trying to decide between Swords Dance, Poison Jab, or Thunder Punch. I want both Poison Jab and Thunder Punch to cover Fairy and Flying respectively but Swords Dance might be useful too.

Ice Punch instead of Thunder Punch and Stone Edge are really good moves.

Get several Gallade or something because his movepool and coverage is really good.

Seil

-Close Combat
-Psycho Cut

Ah. Well, with hordes, power items and pokerus you can get 50 EVs in a stat in a single attack =p And of course, fine tune it at the end as needed by taking away the power items or hordes or switching to macho brace as necessary. There's a route with guaranteed hordes of 1 EV Pokemon for each stat in ORAS.

On the Gallade, I'm not much of a competitive player, though I like to breed. And I've never really looked into using Gallade. I like them, but I normally breed them as capture partners haha =p

Maybe consider Ice Punch instead of Thunder Punch since it covers more things, and also works on Flying types and Dragon?

Edit: Beaten on that last point lol.

Crayolan

Just finished the main story events and got the 8th badge. It was nice to see a gym leader with over 3 pokemon for once. If only his levels were a bit higher the fight might've been challenging. Also, soaring is awesome.

One question: does anyone know what Groudon/Kyogre's catch rates are in this game? I assumed it was the standard 45, but it took me a while to catch Groudon so I'm wondering if they went with the original 3. If so, good on gamefreak for willing to give us a bit of challenge.

Seil

Just finished the main story events and got the 8th badge. It was nice to see a gym leader with over 3 pokemon for once. If only his levels were a bit higher the fight might've been challenging. Also, soaring is awesome.

One question: does anyone know what Groudon/Kyogre's catch rates are in this game? I assumed it was the standard 45, but it took me a while to catch Groudon so I'm wondering if they went with the original 3. If so, good on gamefreak for willing to give us a bit of challenge.

Groudon/Kyogre's original was actually 5 =p

Anyway, the significantly heightened rates are generally for required captures, and Groudon/Kyogre are not required. As such, I'm assuming they're still 5. I haven't captured my Kyogre, though, I KO'd it so I could do so at my own leisure.

Edit: I suppose there's also Dialga/Palkia which I don't think were required captures? But 30 is still better than 45 and 70 haha.

Anyone else got the impression that the music in this is less compressed than X and Y's and even the demo's? Maybe I'm imagining things but the soundtrack sounds so good over headphones and I remember thinking while playing the demo, that it sucks that they compressed the music to shits again like in XY.
Listening to the XY battle theme remix in Smash made it impossible for me to go back.
I'm probably really just imagining things

Arclaid

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that I believe Uxie shows up at 8pm til idk, maybe 9pm? I just turned on my 3ds to check and she reappeared again. Would post pics but Im a bit tied up atm.

Can someone else who hasnt caught her please check? Im running on EST

Just checked my game and I can confirm that Uxie appeared after 8pm (went to the cavern at around 8:20pm AEST). No idea how long it appears for, but from what you said about Mespirit, Uxie probably appears from 8pm to somewhere between 9-10 (or 11?)pm.

Welp, I said I wasn't gonna leave till I got a pink Lugia right?

I tried my best to get it in a premier ball but it wasn't having none of it, rocked 3 times then broke out. So I switch to the ultra balls and of course, the damn thing catches. BUT I DON'T CARE! And double bonus, my sync worked so it's bold.

Though I was afraid it would reach struggle and for good reason. It only has 20 pp total so any more ball busting and I would have had to master it.

I want to create a living dex, but it's quite overwhelming. I would need to breed a whole lot of Pokemon, evolve a number of them, and organise boxes.
I'm going for a partial living dex (base lines for evolution, it has some duplications for quality of life like Eevee evolutions, Charmander X vs. Y) and so far at minimum going to be around 11 boxes + legendaries.

And to think if I want to transfer it to ORAS I have to trade them one by one...after re-breeding them.

As for box organisation, organise by region then start ordering by dex number. Leave a box between each region as this will be where you put things for sorting.

The problem with having a full living dex in-game is if you also go for all formes as well you have hardly any boxes to actually do anything with. The existence of Pokemon bank suggests the games will continue to be stingy on this front as well.

Anyone else got the impression that the music in this is less compressed than X and Y's and even the demo's? Maybe I'm imagining things but the soundtrack sounds so good over headphones and I remember thinking while playing the demo, that it sucks that they compressed the music to shits again like in XY.
Listening to the XY battle theme remix in Smash made it impossible for me to go back.
I'm probably really just imagining things
It is worth noting that the most of the XY tracks (e.g. GTS, Wonder trade) in ORAS are 28kHz instead of 32kHz.

Nice one. Other ways to try and avoid struggle. Sleep>paralysis since sleep slows the PP depletion. I guess you could also bestow PP restoring berries (would harvest or recycle still work even if you gave the berry away?).

Arclaid

hey guys
how did you get Nameless Cavern to appear?
i have a pokemon with max happiness as i just got a sooth bell

Does the Pokemon actually have max happiness? If so, the cavern should be there if you soar just south of Mossdeep City. Don't remember any additional requirements for it to appear.

Making a living dex is one thing...but I wonder if anyone is trying for a complete formdex. Every possible iteration and form of the pokemon. (Each unown, each vivillon, all shinies, each forme, both genders, etc)

The crazy part is that the pokedex in the games actually saves the forms too.

Does the Pokemon actually have max happiness? If so, the cavern should be there if you soar just south of Mossdeep City. Don't remember any additional requirements for it to appear.

ok guys if you see Serebi tell him you need THREE pokemon with max happiness
i brought my Blaziken, Milotic, and Magnetric and bam it appeared

SoulUnison

Banned
You know what'd be the feature tha'd just complete my entire life?

Being able to release Mons from the Pokemon screen, no PC required.

Also, stuff needs to just *happen* on the bottom screen. Don't pause the game and use transitions and stuff. It should feel snappier. Pokemon needs a UI overhaul..

I'll probably try sleep next time but I did get lucky and Lugia did get paralyzed 3 times in a row. And thanks Hypno!

Oh and incase anybody is curious these are its stats:
Lugia - #249 (Bold)
HP: 28 - 29
Att: 31
Def: 30 - 31
SpA: 30 - 31
SpD: 16 - 17
Speed: 22 - 23

I tried my best to get it in a premier ball but it wasn't having none of it, rocked 3 times then broke out. So I switch to the ultra balls and of course, the damn thing catches. BUT I DON'T CARE! And double bonus, my sync worked so it's bold.

Though I was afraid it would reach struggle and for good reason. It only has 20 pp total so any more ball busting and I would have had to master it.

Congratulations man! Nice work.

Top Bottom