• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Electabuzz has always been my favorite electric type.

1. You can use an ability capsule to change non hidden abilities.

2. He's good for breeding. Mega Charizard X needs Adamant to deal as much damage as possible since he's probably going down quickly. Dunno about Y since I never used him or bothered to look him up.

For Y you want to go with either a speed boosting nature, since it's spA is already amazing, or a spA boosting one for more power. Either way he excels at being the clean up crew, sweeping whatever happens to be left over at the end of a fight.

TI82

Banned
Nearly forgot Jolteon, my other favorite electric type and the only eeveelution I like.
1524280.jpg

suikodan

Anyone playing with their creatures from the Pokemon Bank? I have stocked a lot of them since Ruby/Sapphire version and honestly, I haven't even completed X yet and yet I started AS. I don't want it to collect dust so I'm taking some from the Bank into my party to help me beat the trainers.

Please tell me there's no shame in doing that (other than making the game easier, which I assume...)

ffdgh

Anyone playing with their creatures from the Pokemon Bank? I have stocked a lot of them since Ruby/Sapphire version and honestly, I haven't even completed X yet and yet I started AS. I don't want it to collect dust so I'm taking some from the Bank into my party to help me beat the trainers.

Please tell me there's no shame in doing that (other than making the game easier, which I assume...)

I plan to bring over my shiny treecko :D.

I brought my shiny Treecko, my shiny Mudkip and a couple of others to the game. The legendaries are in the box, but the starters I used a lot.

MicH

#TeamManectric

I've been using Manectric since 4th gen. It's all sorts of awesome, especially since it can learn Fire-type TMs.
Hell yeah! Manectric is my absolute favorite electric type too! Since third gen :3 I was so happy when I bred my very own Shiny Electrike a few weeks ago.

Also, Pelipper is the god damn worst Pokemon! Especially Winona's Pelipper. Fuck off with your Roost/Protect crap :(

Camisado

Picking this up when it launches here in the UK tomorrow, any of our American friends got some early game tips?

Where to catch something awesome etc? I think I heard I couldn't get an Aron as early as I'd like this time...

one_kill

No shame at all since you play how you want to play.

I kinda wish I made a team in XY to use in ORAS because my team is boring! I was going to start a new save, but thought it'd be wiser just to finish the game and then use my team in XY.

Picking this up when it launches here in the UK tomorrow, any of our American friends got some early game tips?

Where to catch something awesome etc? I think I heard I couldn't get an Aron as early as I'd like this time...
I recommend getting Torchic

Wichu

DexNav makes everything awesome. Level 15 Brave Bird Taillow when all the enemy trainers are still at level 5-6? Hell yeah.

It's super addictive though. I've wasted so much time looking for cool Pokémon.

MicH

Yeah, DexNav is amazing. So happy I spent a little while trying to find a male Ralts with Shadow Sneak. My Gallade wrecks everything now

wiibomb

just got this on a timid latias:

IVs: 30, 31 / 30, 31 / 0 - 3 / 30, 31 / 30, 31 / 31

what do you guys say? it sucks on def, but everything else seems so perfect..

Linius

for all things pokemon I always like to go to serebii.net, bulbapedia is another option, but its confusing and I do not like it as much

If you're not so informed on what natures are good and which moves are a must, is it easy to find out? I was planning on really getting into this game for a change. I've only been playing Pokémon casually. Never paying attention to all the details there are.

J. Bravo

If you're not so informed on what natures are good and which moves are a must, is it easy to find out? I was planning on really getting into this game for a change. I've only been playing Pokémon casually. Never paying attention to all the details there are.

off the top of my head the most used natures are timid, jolly, adamant, modest, calm, and bold.

timid/jolly are +spe -atk/spa
adamant/modest are +atk -spa/+spa - atk
calm/bold are +spd -def/+def -spd

those are probably the 6 most commonly used natures for competitive battling.

Natures depend entirely on the Pokemon and set you're going for. Most natures increases any one stat (except HP) and decreases another. There are four exceptions, however, and those natures neither benefit nor hinder any stats. (And should be avoided)

Smogon has you covered for the basics. You should check it, I'd say.

wiibomb

yes, in fact I learned everything I know from serebii, I visited bulbapedia just to inform myself more on the same matters I read on Serebii, but serebii almost always remained my main source

Linius

off the top of my head the most used natures are timid, jolly, adamant, modest, calm, and bold.

timid/jolly are +spe -atk/spa
adamant/modest are +atk -spa/+spa - atk

Natures depend entirely on the Pokemon and set you're going for. Most natures increases any one stat (except HP) and decreases another. There are four exceptions, however, and those natures neither benefit nor hinder any stats. (And should be avoided)

Smogon has you covered for the basics. You should check it, I'd say.

yes, in fact I learned everything I know from serebii, I visited bulbapedia just to inform myself more on the same matters I read on Serebii, but serebii almost always remained my main source

Thanks guys. Looks like a lot to take in. Gonna try to start with some basics.

Velcro Fly

Norman is still a pain in the ass if you don't have a fighting type. This all game long struggle of getting Shroomish to 40 for Spore will pay off though.

Frogstep

I feel guilty trading over some Pokemon from my X but not enough that's it's stopping me. I did get that shiny Gengar a couple weeks ago, can't let that go to waste. :p

Anybody else transfer over some or are most going strictly Ruby/Sapph 'mons?

one_kill

Natures are easy to understand. Just pick the one that most benefits the Pokemon and/or play style. For instance, if you want a special attack sweeper, you might want Modest or Timid. Just note that you aim to increase a stat category that benefits your Pokemon and/or play style and decrease another that's not necessary. For example, Modest increases SpA and decreases Att. It's beneficial for a special sweeper like Kyogre since its SpA base stat is higher than its Att base stat (150 compared to 100).

With regards to moves, again it's up to the Pokemon and/or play style. Gliscor, for instance, makes a good physical wall, a good toxic staller, and a decent physical attacker. It needs Roost to keep its wall capacity in check, Toxic for stalling, and Earthquake for attacking.

If you want to get into the competitive aspect of Pokemon, you also need to touch on abilities, IVs, EVs, egg moves, play styles, etc. There's a lot to take in from the get go so start with designing one competitive Pokemon. Smogon is a good start if you want to get an overview of the different builds you can make.

Actually, Calm is +Special Defense -Attack, Hasty is the one with +Speed -Def.

wiibomb

I'd say start with natures, then EVs and finally IVs which are the most dificult to grasp

with that you pretty much know the basics of the competitive field, then you should just learn about pokemon and good teams

guys, I'll ask again, I do not know if I should take this timid latias or just soft reset more

Firestorm

As a general rule of thumb, you usually want a nature that increases your best stat and decreases the stat you don't use (usually one of the attacking ones). Natures increase by 10% which means the higher the stat you're increasing, the more stat points you're going to get out of it!

I wrote this guide as an Introduction to Competitive Tournament Play two years ago that is still mostly relevant I think. Someone else I know wrote something more on introducing people to the different ways of affecting stats.

one_kill

guys, I'll ask again, I do not know if I should take this timid latias or just soft reset more

It's a hard call because everything is good except for defense and SRing is arduous

Maybe make it into a SpA sweeper?

Joqu

Got my Omega Ruby copy today, sweet. My steelbook pre-order got cancelled sadly but I got a 15 euro discount and a huge promotional poster from the store as an apology so hey, who am I to complain?

I haven't gotten too far yet but I gotta say both the pre-title screen and the Birch intro are some amazing stuff.

Game is really pretty too! It's subtle stuff but I they've added all these little touches that make the game more appealing to look at compared to XY~

wiibomb

It's a hard call because everything is good except for defense and SRing is arduous

Maybe make it into a SpA sweeper?

I'vee been think something like that too, but isn't latios better at that? I thought latias would be better with more bulk.. Its just I found one so good with an extremely awful flaw

Linius

Natures are easy to understand. Just pick the one that most benefits the Pokemon and/or play style. For instance, if you want a special attack sweeper, you might want Modest or Timid. Just note that you aim to increase a stat category that benefits your Pokemon and/or play style and decrease another that's not necessary. For example, Modest increases SpA and decreases Att. It's beneficial for a special sweeper like Kyogre since its SpA base stat is higher than its Att base stat (150 compared to 100).

With regards to moves, again it's up to the Pokemon and/or play style. Gliscor, for instance, makes a good physical wall, a good toxic staller, and a decent physical attacker. It needs Roost to keep its wall capacity in check, Toxic for stalling, and Earthquake for attacking.

If you want to get into the competitive aspect of Pokemon, you also need to touch on abilities, IVs, EVs, egg moves, play styles, etc. There's a lot to take in from the get go so start with designing one competitive Pokemon. Smogon is a good start if you want to get an overview of the different builds you can make.

As a general rule of thumb, you usually want a nature that increases your best stat and decreases the stat you don't use (usually one of the attacking ones). Natures increase by 10% which means the higher the stat you're increasing, the more stat points you're going to get out of it!

I wrote this guide as an Introduction to Competitive Tournament Play two years ago that is still mostly relevant I think. Someone else I know wrote something more on introducing people to the different ways of affecting stats.

I'd say start with natures, then EVs and finally IVs which are the most dificult to grasp

with that you pretty much know the basics of the competitive field, then you should just learn about pokemon and good teams

I'll just start simple by catching the right nature matching up with the type of moves I want to give my Pokémon. I can't seem to find what a certain move influences on the serebii page though. I was checking out Swampert. And it doesn't say much about that?

Wichu

I'll just start simple by catching the right nature matching up with the type of moves I want to give my Pokémon. I can't seem to find what a certain move influences on the serebii page though. I was checking out Swampert. And it doesn't say much about that?

Not sure what you're trying to ask here. Each (damaging) move is either physical or special, which is shown by an icon when you look at the move's information (the yellow explosion symbol means physical, while the blue rings mean special).

Pokémon with higher physical attack will usually want to use all physical moves with an Adamant or Jolly nature, and similarly ones with higher special attack will want to use all special moves with a Modest or Timid nature. This does depend on what moves the Pokémon learns (for example, Nidoking has higher physical attack, but learns better special moves, so I use a Timid nature and only special moves on mine).

Linius

Not sure what you're trying to ask here. Each (damaging) move is either physical or special, which is shown by an icon when you look at the move's information (the yellow explosion symbol means physical, while the blue rings mean special).

Pokémon with higher physical attack will usually want to use all physical moves with an Adamant or Jolly nature, and similarly ones with higher special attack will want to use all special moves with a Modest or Timid nature. This does depend on what moves the Pokémon learns (for example, Nidoking has higher physical attack, but learns better special moves, so I use a Timid nature and only special moves on mine).

Turned out I was looking in the wrong dex, that's why those icons weren't there :p

JoeM86

Basically, Attack and Defense are affected by physical moves, that's this icon
physical.png
while Special Attack and Special Defense are affected by moves with this icon
special.png

Edit: Whoops, late. Apologies.

Caladrius

So the main story is beaten.

My Team:
Aggron Lvl55
Crawdaunt Lvl 54
Gallade Lvl 54
Sceptile Lvl 53
Frosslass Lvl 49
Flygon Lvl 53

Aggron was pretty much my MVP because of his Mega Stone, Flygon, Crawdaunt (Dragon Dance is great) and Gallade also did a pretty good job of cleaning up shop too though.

I enjoyed fighting Steven a lot. He was actually very dangerous this time, provided you didn't let yourself be horribly overleveled by EXP share. My Flygon, Gallade and Crawdaunt beat the rest of his team without much trouble, but Mega Metagross took out half my team before Aggron put a stop to its rampage by spamming Earthquake.

Top Bottom