• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Guys, I have a question: what can I use a Mew for, talking semi-competitively? I've read Smogon's opinion but I would like to hear from you guys too, if possible.

Linius

You haven't done that already? Shift pleb.

This reminds me of a comic strip...

Seems fine, and you'll be able to get a Mega stone for each and every one of them (maybe that's why you did it, though).

Found out about Camerupt just now. But for the rest, yeah. Seems fun. And since I'll be playing without exp. share it will be nice to compensate when I need to with the mega stones. Not sure how much I wanna keep grinding every time :p

Busaiku

Correct. Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and all Mythical Pokémon are banned.
Alright, guess I'll just do Delta without worrying about natures.

MicH

Found out about Camerupt just now. But for the rest, yeah. Seems fun. And since I'll be playing without exp. share it will be nice to compensate when I need to with the mega stones. Not sure how much I wanna keep grinding every time :p
You get Manectite really early and Mega Manectric is godly! :D Enjoy that Sharpedo Surf speed too!

I'm going a little crazy with this team, 5 Megas, don't care! (All Pokemon I've never used before)

Tropius - Adamant (nest)
• Leaf Blade
• Fly
• Steel Wing
• Earthquake

Mega Sharpedo - Adamant (net)
• Surf
• Crunch
• Poison Jab
• Ice Fang

Mega Camerupt - Modest (repeat)
• Lava Plume
• Earth Power
• Ancient Power
• Flash Cannon

Mega Ampharos - Modest (quick)
• Thunderbolt
• Power Gem
• Signal Beam
• Dragon Pulse

Mega Lopunny - Adamant (love)
• Dizzy Punch / Power-Up Punch
• Fire Punch
• Ice Punch
• Thunder Punch

Mega Gardevoir - Modest (dream)
• Psyshock
• Moonblast
• Thunderbolt
• Energy Ball

Just gotta catch a breedable Tropius and I'm off to Hoenn!

Linius

You get Manectite really early and Mega Manectric is godly! :D Enjoy that Sharpedo Surf speed too!

Yeah, I read about Sharpedo, sounds awesome. Also really need to keep an eye out for the mega stones. Only found one for Alakazam so far.

Currently I'm running:

Metang - Lv. 22
Electrike - Lv. 23
Grovyle - Lv. 21
Numel - Lv. 13 (just caught him)
Tailow - Lv. 19
Poochyena - Lv. 13 (keeping him around for rock smash currently)

Tailow will lose it's spot for Swablu. And Poochyena for Carvanha. For my in-game run I'm not gonna bother with nature's and stuff. Once I've finished it's time to dive into that. At least I'll be going trough the game with a team filled with Pokémon I've never used before except for Sceptile.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
pOmTgC6.png

hahahaha

Pizza

Anyone else wish legendaries would stop being the focus of pokemon games? Like, imagine going to bell tower and finding ho oh with no idea what it looked like, or getting to the point in oras where you had to go *find* the legend yourself. So far in x/y it's been "oh I bet soandso knows about the legendary!" But its not as cool: he's on the box. I know I'm getting him. The side-legends are much cooler in that theyre unexpected, like mewtwo.

I hope gamefreak puts the starters on the box for pokemon Brown/beige and let's the legends be rad surprises. Hell, make it a plot point that you have to lose to team badguy's killer piranha monster before you realize the legend is real and you have to seek out the one that supposedly counters it. I feel like the whole games have become "uh oh! Go track down this big monster!" And thats the whole story. Idk, I wish they'd let more happen.

They could even have team science-villains invent a whole new monster that you have to figure out how to beat. Or even not have a team until the post game and let the player actually focus on the gyms. I saw team flare almost immediately and its just been "so what, were bad guys" ever since

Anyone else wish legendaries would stop being the focus of pokemon games? Like, imagine going to bell tower and finding ho oh with no idea what it looked like, or getting to the point in oras where you had to go *find* the legend yourself. So far in x/y it's been "oh I bet soandso knows about the legendary!" But its not as cool: he's on the box. I know I'm getting him. The side-legends are much cooler in that theyre unexpected, like mewtwo.

I hope gamefreak puts the starters on the box for pokemon Brown/beige and let's the legends be rad surprises. Hell, make it a plot point that you have to lose to team badguy's killer piranha monster before you realize the legend is real and you have to seek out the one that supposedly counters it. I feel like the whole games have become "uh oh! Go track down this big monster!" And thats the whole story. Idk, I wish they'd let more happen.

They could even have team science-villains invent a whole new monster that you have to figure out how to beat. Or even not have a team until the post game and let the player actually focus on the gyms. I saw team flare almost immediately and its just been "so what, were bad guys" ever since

In theory it would be good, but in practice it would happen the same thing that happened with X/Y starters final evolution: it would leak the moment somebody (not from the press) had their hands in the game.

I'm more annoyed by Shiftry and Ludicolo not getting Megas than Flygon. They seem like obvious candidates... and yet here we are.

Especially with other opposites like Sableye/Mawhile and Groudon/Kyroge having megas, and I consider Shiftry and Ludi to be iconic opposites, in that, everyone knows that they're exclusives and they're pushed as such (like Pinsir and Scyther of old)

Gamefreak has toned legends way down since Black and Whites ridiculous amount of them.

But story wise, I wish they'd tone it down a bit. The "let's capture a big monster and rule the world muahahaha" thing is getting old 4 games in a row now. I much preferred the ganster/mafia stories RB/GS had. They seemed more grounded in reality. They were using normal Pokemon as a means to ruling the world through their own skill as trainers (and their money), not only because they happened to summon a minor deity. And Rocket didn't want to summon some all powerful Pokemon. They wanted to clone one, make it better. Build their own god, and we got to watch how it failed through subtle clues in the game.

I think even in Heart Gold/Soul Silver where they retconned it that Rocket wanted to summon Lugia/Ho-oh they still only attempted it as a last ditch effort when they're real plan failed. They didn't rely on a big Pokemon as the basis of their entire plan.

But I can't really fault this game specifically for not changing it up though, since Ruby/Sapphire were the first games in the series to be about an organization trying to rule the world via a god Pokemon, so it was a novel idea back then.

Still no word if Kyogre/Rayquaza are shiny locked? I know the mirage spot legendaries aren't but what about the box legendaries?

One guy apparently caught a normal looking Kyogre, but then he went to check the pokedex and it appeared the shiny entry, and he had only 1 encounter with it. The game could've forced his shiny one to appear regular in the game.

Pizza

Gamefreak has toned legends way down since Black and Whites ridiculous amount of them.

But story wise, I wish they'd tone it down a bit. The "let's capture a big monster and rule the world muahahaha" thing is getting old 4 games in a row now. I much preferred the ganster/mafia stories RB/GS had. They seemed more grounded in reality. They were using normal Pokemon as a means to ruling the world through their own skill as trainers (and their money), not only because they happened to summon a minor deity. And Rocket didn't want to summon some all powerful Pokemon. They wanted to clone one, make it better. Build their own god, and we got to watch how it failed through subtle clues in the game.

I think even in Heart Gold/Soul Silver where they retconned it that Rocket wanted to summon Lugia/Ho-oh they still only attempted it as a last ditch effort when they're real plan failed. They didn't rely on a big Pokemon as the basis of their entire plan.

But I can't really fault this game specifically for not changing it up though, since Ruby/Sapphire were the first games in the series to be about an organization trying to rule the world via a god Pokemon, so it was a novel idea back then.

I'm right there with you, ruby and sapphire was still cool since the legendaries weren't Gods yet, just hyperpowerful living dinosaurs and you had two factions at war and then trying to get superweapon pokemon was a rad idea.

I'm not saying to retcon oras at all, I'm just holding out hope that the next iteration is more grounded, even if finding the legendary is a pet project for the leader or something.

Something like smuggling in pokemon from other regions to give the gang a leg-up in destabilizing the local governments would even be cool, since you'd be fighting pokemon from other regions that you can't have unless you go get those games. Rocket's deal with playing god is still rad as hell, much more so than catching the gods of time/space/antimatter (though getting giratina to stomp on team galactic was rad, since you essentially captured the pokemon antichrist to kick some ass for you)

So far in x/y, I don't even see WHY team flare needs xerneas like at all: the plan to steal all the pokemon is interesting enough to stand alone.

I don't even mind having to find a lot of legdaries, but they don't need to be deities imo, just make more stuff like real powerful and elusive dogs or ancient birds and less "singular pokemon that created *something* and arceus made only one for this specific purpose" I feel like R/S was the last believable game, black 2/white 2 had a good story about it's cover legends that I liked as well.

I'm not even sure what's going on with yvetal or why I need to research and find him at this point other than my buddies reminding me that there's this legend that we should SO TOTALLY GO FIND even though it isn't of any major importance of yet and idk I know he's suddenly going to become hyperimportant later and idk I wish I wasn't being constantly reminded about him.

Pokemon should take cues from Jurassic park and focus on the "you were so focused on doing something that you didn't stop to think if you should" because that makes interesting situations like team rocket and mewtwo

J. Bravo

Man I am trying for a 3 iv, no guard, close combat/bullet punch machop (prefer bullet punch probably). I'm about to give up. Only at 26 or so encounters, but when a chain breaks is very hard to start one up again for some reason...

Linius

Which HM's are necessary to have with me all the time? I didn't really think about having an HM slave. I prefer not to anyways. I usually skip the parts where you need cut till after the game.

Which HM's are necessary to have with me all the time? I didn't really think about having an HM slave. I prefer not to anyways. I usually skip the parts where you need cut till after the game.
Just to get through like Victory Road I believe you need Strength, Surf and Waterfall. Possibly Rock Smash (which you need to clear the Verdanturf tunnel and advance past Mauville but I don't know about anything after)

You also need Dive for a significant chunk of the game.

MicH

You need Rock Smash, Strength, Surf, Dive and Waterfall to clear the game.

Linius

Just to get through like Victory Road I believe you need Strength, Surf and Waterfall. Possibly Rock Smash

Hmm, I'll teach surf and waterfall to Sharpedo probably. But Strength and rocksmash...

Don't you need dive anywhere then?

EDIT

Ah, that's what I was thinking. Oh well, that's a lot of HM's. I don't feel like corrupting my Camerupt with HM's.

one_kill

Since some of your are posting their teams... here's mine!

Blaziken, Swellow, Gardevoir, Sharpedo, Pangoro, and Crobat
My HM slave is Slaking lol

Linius

Well I guess I should have Sharpedo with dive, waterfall and surf then :/

Strenght for Camerupt. But no way I'm gonna teach a member of my main team rocksmash.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the (pre-8th badge spoilers)
storm after Kyogre awakens
is incredible. I wish it'd never end!

I wonder how it's done in Omega Ruby.

Kinokou

I was just thinking about these games today! They definitely need re-releases.

Yup. I'd take a return to Kanto over Shinnoh or a new region any day.

Me too, that's why I'm putting up a personal restriction against using first gen Pokemon. It payed off to avoid third gen in XY so I hope lightning will strike twice.

Finding a Heavy Steel Aron is hard :(

I feel your pain, have 9 game hours now and 7 of them has apparently been spent hunting for a quick feet bullet seed Shroomish. Seems like the hardest move to find as I have seen every other egg move multiple times and bullet seed only twice. I'm up to 150 on the search level, but I think I have seen others go higher for what they wanted so I'm not giving up. My determination is going to be the death of me...

And also, while the dexnav is great I don't really like it as I nickname the first Pokemon I catch and want to use them. Maybe I'll find more use in it after getting my Shroomish and clearing the elite 4.

Top Bottom