• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

1 IV is generated, 5 are inherited.

1/6 of the time, Attack will be generated, the other five inherited
5/6 of the time, A different stat will be generated while Attack is inherited

Wait why is Attack more likely to be inherited?

10/12 of the stats are 31 and NOT attack.

2/12 of the stats are attack.

Destiny Knot will select 5 of these 12 stats.

upandaway

I'm starting to suspect some kind of crazy RNG issue going on with the game. Way too often 'random' things are too consistent - so like, I get 10 or so of the same Pokemon in a row in Friend Safari (of 3 Pokemon), or I miss with an 80 accuracy attack 4 times in a row, and then a while later I get a perfect rotation in the Safari, or hit 5 attacks in a row. And it's not happening just once in a while, it's almost always this way.

Generally, doing something big like rebooting the game or exiting/re-entering the Safari changes it, which only makes me more suspicious.

I only started to really be conscious of this when I caught myself exiting and re-entering the Safari when I kept seeing the Pokemon I didn't want (of course, afterwards I kept seeing the Pokemon I wanted). This is getting weird, man.

Chance of getting 5V child (w/o Attack) from 2 parents w/ 5V (w/o Attack) is 37/192.

Explanation:

There are 6 possibilities when using DK (1 means inherit, 0 means random):

1/1/1/1/1/0
1/1/1/1/0/1
1/1/1/0/1/1
1/1/0/1/1/1
1/0/1/1/1/1
0/1/1/1/1/1

When a stat is inherited, the game chooses randomly from either of the parent's IVs, and gives it to the child. Since your parents have 31s in the same stats, whenever those stats are inherited, the child is guaranteed a 31.

1 out of 6 times, Attack isn't inherited, and the child will have 5V (save for Attack). The other 5/6 times, Attack is the one inherited, and one of the stats that you want is randomly generated. In those cases, the chance of getting a 31 is 1/32. So, the chance is:

(5/6 * 1/32) + (1/6 * 1) = 37/192 , or about 19.27% (almost 1 in 5).

Fury Sense

DK selects 5 of 6 stats. After it chooses which stats to inherit, it chooses which parent will give that stat. It will never inherit two IVs of the same stat (ie attack from father and attack from mother).

The non-inherited stat is 1/6 hp, 1/6 atk, 1/6 def, 1/6 spa, 1/6 spd, 1/6 spe

Only the 1/6 attack is a desirable outcome, so the other 5/6 are undesirable

It has just as high of a chance as any other stat being passed down. Since 5 IVs are inherited, each stat has a 5/6 chance of being passed to the child. That means there is a 1/6 chance that any single stat won't.

EDIT: Beaten badly.

Yeah...the more I think I know about IV breeding, the less I find I really know.

So say I have these two Pokemon:

Male Adamant Inkay @Destiny Knot
Ability: Suction Cups (not the one I want)
31/31/31/x/31/31

Female Adamant Inkay @Everstone
Ability: Contrary (the one I want)
31/31/31/x/31/x

Am I on the right track to getting a 31/31/31/x/31/31 w/Contrary?

Yeah...the more I think I know about IV breeding, the less I find I really know.

31/31/31/x/31/31

31/31/31/x/31/x

Looks right! Now it's all down to the RNG.

DK selects 5 of 6 stats. After it chooses which stats to inherit, it chooses which parent will give that stat. It will never inherit two IVs of the same stat (ie attack from father and attack from mother).

The non-inherited stat is 1/6 hp, 1/6 atk, 1/6 def, 1/6 spa, 1/6 spd, 1/6 spe

Only the 1/6 attack is a desirable outcome, so the other 5/6 are undesirable

So is there a better way to get 31/?/31/31/31/31?

The reset method I assume? How would I do that with 5 IV parents?

Also that means with Destiny Knot all 5 will come from a single parent? I thought it selected randomly between parents for each of the 5 stats, so you could get 3 from the mother and 2 from the father randomly.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

31/31/31/x/31/31

31/31/31/x/31/x

Yes, if you are not trying to RNG breed.

Ultimadrago

YOU HIT THE LOTTERY.

DAMN YOUUUUUUUU. Your Gengar will look so badass.

Ha! Yeah, White M. Gengar is amazing. And trust me if I can win the lottery, you will win it ten times over, I'm not a very lucky person usually. lol

Awh man, grats! Such a great looking shiny! I'm still sitting on my shiny eevee with no idea what to evolve it into. :p

Thanks! And no worries, you'll figure it out, I'm sure~

guys i like too many pokemon why are teams limited to six why guys why :(

I know, right! At first, I was wondering how I was even going to fill 6 slots, for many hours now I've been planning rotations. There's simply a larger number I want to work with.

What the fuck is wrong with competitive trainers? I'm surprised Fox News hasn't capitalized on the implications of you guys using Poke-Eugenics, leaving the non-purebreds to uneducated trainers or sending them into the wild.

Let's not even start on the rampant and deliberate spreading of sexual diseases to as many unwilling participants as possible, known colloquially as "PokeRus."

Aggrotek

Does anyone have a Meditite or a Galvantula with good IVs?

Those are next on my breeding list, but I would like to start with one with at least 2-3 perfect stats.

Edit: I can offer Tyrunt with decent IVs with Thunder Fang, Ice Fang, and Dragon Dance.

What the fuck is wrong with competitive trainers? I'm surprised Fox News hasn't capitalized on the implications of you guys using Poke-Eugenics, leaving the non-purebreds to uneducated trainers or sending them into the wild.

Let's not even start on the rampant and deliberate spreading of sexual diseases to as many unwilling participants as possible, known colloquially as "PokeRus."

Also incest. Tons of incest.

Does anyone have a Meditite or a Galvantula with good IVs?

Those are next on my breeding list, but I would like to start with one with at least 2-3 perfect stats.

Edit: I can offer Tyrunt with decent IVs with Thunder Fang, Ice Fang, and Dragon Dance.
I have someone with a Meditite Safari, so I can search it real quick to see if I can find a good one. Would that work?

Neiteio

Today in trends: Multi-Fang Tyrunt = The new Sturdy Carbink?

It'd be cool if you could combine Pokemon. CARBINK, RIDING TYRANTRUM INTO BATTLE!

(While training Blaziken and Noivern, I had sweet-ass fantasies of Mega Blaziken zooming into battle on Noivern's back)

Neiteio

Competitive Pokemon is basically the most violent, incestuous slurry of Greco-Roman tragedies and epics rolled into one big ball of saccharine cockfighting... for kids!
Most amazing thing I've read all week. Private messaging this to myself so I can shamelessly quote it without credit later. Thanks Sub-Zero!

Today in trends: Multi-Fang Tyrunt = The new Sturdy Carbink?

It'd be cool if you could combine Pokemon. CARBINK, RIDING TYRANTRUM INTO BATTLE!

(While training Blaziken and Noivern, I had sweet-ass fantasies of Mega Blaziken zooming into battle on Noivern's back)
You're a trendsetter. Use this power wisely...
not really. Abuse it!

MaGlock

So I thought I'd ask here and see what pokegafs opinion on this is. Me and some friends are having a gym leader tournament we put all the types in a hat a picked randomly. I got flying type as my pokemon (ie all 6 pokemon must have flying as a type no duplicate pokemon) right now I have 4 of my 6 eV trained and ready to roll.

Multi scale dragonite
serene grace togekiss
Gryados
Flame body talon flame

Now I was thinking scarmory for #5 and no clue for #6. No legendaries no starters what do you guys think my 5th and 6th pokemon should be?

Quest1

Can Gengar get Disable anywhere yet?

I can't wait for Sub Disable Mega Gengar or even regular Sub Disable Black Sludge Gengar. He was the funnest pkmn to use during Gen V to me and probably the one who did the most work, but pure offense Gengar isn't as fun and his sash gets broken to easily from hazards and weather.

Edit:
So I thought I'd ask here and see what pokegafs opinion on this is. Me and some friends are having a gym leader tournament we put all the types in a hat a picked randomly. I got flying type as my pokemon (ie all 6 pokemon must have flying as a type no duplicate pokemon) right now I have 4 of my 6 eV trained and ready to roll.

Multi scale dragonite
serene grace togekiss
Gryados
Flame body talon flame

I have Gale Wings Fletchlings for you instead. Trust me, you'll want it. I can't get on right now, but if you want, I can PM you when I'm off later.

Skarmory would be a good lead, and maybe something like Mega Aerodactyl?

Neiteio

You're a trendsetter. Use this power wisely...
not really. Abuse it!
So guys, I'm using this amazing new Pokemon, it's been integral to my team. I can share it but it's a special invisible Pokemon, occupies your invisible seventh slot, and the only way to level it up is to donate thousands of dollars to Neiteio's Ain't It Tits Gambling Fund. Weird, I know, but you know how it is with GameFreak. At any rate, they have great IVs!

Multi scale dragonite
serene grace togekiss
Gryados
Flame body talon flame

Now I was thinking scarmory for #5 and no clue for #6. No legendaries no starters what do you guys think my 5th and 6th pokemon should be?

Scarmory's good. How about Aerodactyl? Personally I'd pick Archeops, but without a Flying Gem/Acrobatics set this gen (so far) I'm a little hesitant.

Edit: Nope, you must pick Hawlucha. You must.

So guys, I'm using this amazing new Pokemon, it's been integral to my team. I can share it but it's a special invisible Pokemon, occupies your invisible seventh slot, and the only way to level it up is to donate thousands of dollars to Neiteio's Ain't It Tits Gambling Fund. Weird, I know, but you know how it is with GameFreak. At any rate, they have great IVs!
Seems legit. Sign me up!

Sure. I would prefer it to have at least IVs in Attack and Speed. I can work with the rest.
I'll get on that directly.

ohlawd

-over 25 Pokemon with perfect IVs and EV trained properly
-just finished breeding the first of my favorites.

Man it seems to me that the more I like a Pokemon, the more likely it's actually awful in competitive battling.

Game Freak has been consistent all these years, yo. We're talking about my favorites all the way from Gen I and now to Gen VI.

Anteo

So, does anyone has a random Klefki with good IV's I could work with? I dont want to do one from scratch. (Want to troll friends with that)

Also, I got my 4th pokemon today, but it overlaps with the first one I made so I cant have both on the same party.

Edit: I just wonder traded a Froakie and got a Japanese Froakie. :lol

-over 25 Pokemon with perfect IVs and EV trained properly
-just finished breeding the first of my favorites.

Man it seems to me that the more I like a Pokemon, the more likely it's actually awful in competitive battling.

Game Freak has been consistent all these years, yo. We're talking about my favorites all the way from Gen I and now to Gen VI.

I love Beedrill. :(

ohlawd

So, does anyone has a random Klefki with good IV's I could work with? I dont want to do one from scratch. (Want to troll friends with that)

Also, I got my 4th pokemon today, but it overlaps with the first one I made so I cant have both on the same party.

Edit: I just wonder traded a Froakie and got a Japanese Froakie. :lol

I got a Bold Prankster female Klefki waiting for you; 31/x/31/31/x/31

Top Bottom