• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Pachimari

Can't find you online :(

By breeding you can combine the parents best stats, natures and abilities to create superior offspring. Also, if you breed with other pokemon you can have a pokemon learn moves that it wouldn't normally have access to.
So I basically get a customized baby Pokemon while keeping its parents as well?

Quest1

So I've been debating about whether or not my Mega Gengar should run substitute or protect. Black sludge usually helps heal the sub damage, but since mega gengar doesn't have it, would protect be more viable? I can only imagine disabling someone's earthquake or a blazikens flare blitz and trapping then in. And god help any choice item users...

Boogiepop

BTW, has anyone had any luck getting their alternate legendary off the GTS? The old GTS bait solution of just breeding starters doesn't and leaving them on there seems entirely unsuccessful this time around.

Holmes

Protean Kecleon sounds like it has potential. :O I didn't know it learned two priority moves! I like how some old Pokemon that were oftentimes ignored have gained some viability.

Tenck

So I basically get a customized baby Pokemon while keeping its parents as well?

Basically yeah. Breeding is what makes people competitive. People breed for right natures, stats, abilities, and to get cool moves your pokemon wouldn't normally get.

Holmes

BTW, has anyone had any luck getting their alternate legendary off the GTS? The old GTS bait solution of just breeding starters doesn't and leaving them on there seems entirely unsuccessful this time around.
Yup. My husband was about to get a Xerneas and I was able to get an Yveltal using the Scyther with Metal Coat trick.
Three if you count Fake Out(Egg Move).
Amazing.

And Recover!? Damn.

Basically yeah. Breeding is what makes people competitive. People breed for right natures, stats, abilities, and to get cool moves your pokemon wouldn't normally get.
Plus, it's awesome to know that you've spent time to train your perfect Pokémon from level 1. I makes it even more awesome when you get to crush people with said Pokémon.

NEO0MJ

I just exchanged my Moltres for a Yveltal, as I don't have much use for it.

Tenck

Plus, it's awesome to know that you've spent time to train your perfect Pokémon from level 1. I makes it even more awesome when you get to crush people with said Pokémon.

That too. Nothing more satisfying than seeing the differences between the strengths of a fully bred team, and a team that isn't bred.

/hugs own Pokemon

Busaiku

Got all of the legendaries with Scyther and Metal Coat.
Kids love Scizor for whatever reason.

Boogiepop

Got all of the legendaries with Scyther and Metal Coat.
Kids love Scizor for whatever reason.

So wait, you just put up a Scyther with a metal coat attached and people will bite? BRB, time to finally get myself a Xerneas! (Now if only I could specify region when asking for stuff...)

NEO0MJ

Sorry about the wait. Thanks for the Bergmite!

No, thank you for the Bulbasaur! Might try to see how good Mega-Saur is. Sure it doesn't get an amazing ability but it strikes a perfect balance, and can probably wall so many pokemon.

Thanks Neo! Now, just to find a pinsirite...

No problem. You actually my last Pinsir, except for two I keep for breeding purposes. And the Pinsirite in the forest near the start of the game between 8-9 PM.

Does Skill Swap work with Truant? I'm pretty sure it does. If so, I could pull off some shenanigans with Sylveon. Switch Slaking's ability with Sylveon's Cute Charm, then switch Sylveon's new Truant with an opponent. >=]

Unicorn

No, thank you for the Bulbasaur! Might try to see how good Mega-Saur is. Sure it doesn't get an amazing ability but it strikes a perfect balance, and can probably wall so many pokemon.

No problem. And it's in the forest near the start of the game between 8-9 PM.
I have Y so I got heracrossite

CrimsonN0

Does Skill Swap work with Truant? I'm pretty sure it does. If so, I could pull off some shenanigans with Sylveon. Switch Slaking's ability with Sylveon's Cute Charm, then switch Sylveon's new Truant with an opponent. >=]

Hmm, don't know.
I once had a Truant Durant use Entrainment on me then he switched out to a Shadow Tag Gothitelle who then Protected when I could attack and Calm Minded when I was Truant until they just destroyed me by attacking with a not effective move.

Ebris

So.

I've been in the process of building my team. 4/6 are fully done - Gengar, Hydreigon, Zygarde and Gyarados (minus some BP items). I wanted to breed and train my last two members, Gliscor and Tentacruel, before starting to battle folks; however, some passerby named Zero kept requesting to fight me over the past two days. Eventually, I just threw in the 4iv Tyrantrum MicH gave me and my Alakazam from my first E4 run and accepted his challenge.

The results...well, you can view them yourself:

WENG-WWWW-WWW2-T7N9

macklelol

Yeah, good stuff.
Blissey with Ferrothron is so annoying.

Might be a good idea to get Fire Fang on your Mawile. Fire attacks always nice to have and lets your break through Ferrothorn and Forretress with ease. You'd probably have to remake your Mawile to get it, though.

Unicorn

6D2G-WWWW-WWW2-T7RS

This was a hilarious match towards the end. I chose the wrong Heliolisk for this match and I kept switching him in, thinking he was the other Heliolisk I trained. Anyway, the fun starts once Politoed belly drums. Up until that point I thought it was Game Over.

Watch for some shenanigans which probably only occur because the other play either made poor choices or didn't EV train / IV breed.

DAT CLUTCH

NEO0MJ

I have Y so I got heracrossite

Oh. Still, you can use this Pinsir to breed with Heracross.

Slaking can also be used with Cofagrigus to inflict itself with mummy, though any good player will probably be weary of that strategy if they sees both pokemon on the same team.

Inotti

I can never seem to pull off a good strategy with Sableye. Is it supposed to be almost exclusively a hit and run pokemon? Isn't that risky with having to waste turns for switch in/out?

Sableye is almost always the only thing that works in my team. :p He alone has beaten all pokemon from opponent's team several times (singles 3v3). Though it wont work if you don't have recovery (egg move). If you are afraid that opponent would use some nasty status moves then use Taunt to prevent that after that use will-o-wisp to inflict burn to ½ the physical damage then just recover/foul play until opponent dies. I have found out that if opponent is heavy S.Attacker (fairies with moonblast!) then it's maybe for the best to swich out after will-o-wisp...

I'm not that experienced Sableye use yet but this above has worked for me. :)

Slaking can also be used with Cofagrigus to inflict itself with mummy, though any good player will probably be weary of that strategy if they sees both pokemon on the same team.

If you run Pursuit on Slaking, then it's much easier to pull off. Switch Cofagrigus into a physical move, quickly switch into Slaking, and then Pursuit them while they try to switch out. Boom, instant King of the Mummies!

Even if they're savvy and switch out at the same time as Cofagrigus, it's at least good for displacing an annoying foe and/or faking the opponent out.

Blasty

I put a Dragonite up for a Xerneas and was successful. You could try that.

NEO0MJ

Even if they're savvy and switch out at the same time as Cofagrigus, it's at least good for displacing an annoying foe and/or faking the opponent out.

I guess. The only fear would be them switching into a spacial attacker which doesn't fear Cofagrigus and use it as a chance to set up if you're not carrying haze.

Top Bottom