• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

spiritfox

A whole day of MMing and nothing to show. Maybe I don't need a shiny...

Oh well there's tomorrow.

BTW I have a ton of Trapinches. If anyone wants just shout.

Sigmaah

I'm tryna breed a perfect Hydreigon and I have one with hp, def, sp.atk and speed and I have a Japanese ditto that has only sp.d, so I'm hoping to aim for a shiny while I try to get a perfect Hydreigon. If I get the perfect before a shiny then so be it.

Shell Smash + Baton Pass

Pair it up with a durable sweeper with wide coverage to wreck shop.

Neat! What should its other two moves be? Surf and Psychic?

Also, what's a good item for Unburden Hawlucha since Flying Gem isn't available yet? I'm thinking either Lum or Sitrus Berry.

I've just been going through and getting clarifications and there's a slim possibility that this might not necessarily be a hack check

While the listing says that if it has the mark it is OK to use, closer reading into the rules of this tournament details that Pokémon transferred over from Black, White, Black 2 & White 2 are not eligible. This could mean that it is in fact a region marker.

Basically, we won't know for sure until Christmas. I have Pokémon from each game and region prepared for transfer so will find out instantly.

It's also interesting that they are blocking out transferred Pokémon from this tournament. If they do it for any other tournaments, it could be them trying to counter the RNG abused Pokémon and hacks anyway.

no, some tournaments are just Kalosdex only and I suppose they want to filter out 5th gen-exclusive moves

DaBoss

Beat Pokemon Y now. Will post a pic of my team soon.

I think outside of Gym, Rival, Team Plasma, and E4 battles, I only did a max of 20 battles.

And now for the purpose of this long journey (13 hours lol)...time to go catch some Dittos.

MicH

Beat Pokemon Y now. Will post a pic of my team soon.

I think outside of Gym, Rival, Team Plasma, and E4 battles, I only did a max of 20 battles.

And now for the purpose of this long journey (13 hours lol)...time to go catch some Dittos.
Oooh nice. I should finish my German Y playthrough as well. Need some of those wonderful foreign Dittos

DaBoss

Well I just got shut down by the fact that half of my Friend Safari is filled with people who I wasn't online with at the same time in Pokemon Y.

EDIT: It's more like 4/5ths of people haven't been online at the same time as me.

ZenaxPure

A whole day of MMing and nothing to show. Maybe I don't need a shiny...

Oh well there's tomorrow.

Keep fighting the good fight, I've been MMing for a shiny Swellow for about a week now and haven't been lucky yet (though I am at the point where the mother taillow has perfect IVs). I need it to finish up the doubles team I am putting together. It's a pretty tiring process, but, I've been making sure to take breaks to do other things I want to do in the game so it hasn't been toooooo bad.

Speaking of which, if anyone here has a non-english male pokemon in the flying group with good IVs for MMing I'd be grateful to you. I'm using a japanese ditto with attack and speed, which really is all Swellow needs, but, having more would be cool too.

Growlie19

Man, I never realized how great Furfrou are at tanking physical hits until I trained my shiny one. It took about 5 Metal Claws from a Scizor in the Battle Maison before getting downed by a crit. The Scizor was in red health when Furfrou finally fainted. Its EV spread is 184 HP, 252 attack, 60 defense, and 12 speed. My strategy is to use Thunder Wave, then start spamming flinching moves, like Headbutt and Bite. It also has Cotton Guard to further boost its defenses. It also looks fabulous while paraflinching its enemies. In short, Furfrou is awesome and you should train one up. It's not to be underestimated.

As noted in the rules for that dragon tournament:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pokemonryuoh/rule/game.html

The Pokemon that can be used are anyone in the National Pokedex (#718 and below), excluding the usual suspects (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genosect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde).

As for the specific rule regarding the usable Pokemon:
エントリーできるポケモンは「ポケットモンスター X・Y」の通常のプレイで捕まえたり、タマゴから生まれたり、ゲーム内でもらったり交換して入手したポケモンおよび、「ポケットモンスター X・Y」に公式にプレゼントされたポケモンだけです。
※3DSダウンロードソフト「ポケモンバンク」を使って、DS「ポケットモンスター」(ブラック・ホワイト・ブラック2・ ホワイト2」)から 連れてきたポケモンをそのまま使用することはできません。
以下の方法以外で技を覚えたポケモンは、使用することができません。
① レベルアップで覚える
② わざマシン(ひでんマシン)で覚える
③ タマゴから生まれたときに覚えている
④ ゲーム内の登場人物などから教えてもらう
⑤ 公式にプレゼントされたポケモンが、特別に覚えている
That is, any Pokémon who was received through normal gameplay in XY (caught, hatched from an egg, received through ingame trade or as a gift, or from an event distro).

Any Pokemon that are transferred from PokeBank which came from the G5 games specifically are not usable *as they are*. I suppose they mean that you'd have to breed 'em in order to get a usable copy.

Also noted is the moves that they can use:
-Learned through level up
-Learned from a TM/HM
-Egg move
-Move tutor
-Distro mons with special moves

This, combined with the fact that you can't use PBmons without breeding them, means that they are neatly paring down the usable movelist - if it can't be passed through breeding in XY, then there is no using the move.

They are probably going to be using this ruleset for VGCs in the future, I imagine.

spiritfox

Wow i got a nice Huge Power Marill in Wonder Trade. Maybe it's time to train an Azumarill.

Edit: then I get a bunch of Bunnelbys. Heh.

Boogiepop

Gah, what the heck? Is it not possible to cancel evolution on pokemon received through the GTS? I got a Japanese Phantump and already had a Japanese Trevenant, so I tried to cancel the evolution, but no matter how much I pounded B it wouldn't stop!

I always thought that those two gained popularity in Gen V (more Gorebyss than Huntail) because they were two of the only three Pokémon able to perform the infamous SmashPass.

I paired him with Power Herb and Sky Attack...

That's really unreliable though, considering that Sky Attack becomes nigh-useless on him after its initial use. I mean, I can do almost twice the damage using Acrobatics two turns in a row rather than chargin and using Sky Attack once. Plus, SA makes you extremely vulnerable to switches/Super Effective damage for a turn, as well as stopping someone who's supposed to be a sweeper cold in their tracks. Sitrus Berry lets me recoup from a missed HJK which would otherwise have ruined a sweep, whereas Lum Berry adds protection from Burns, Sleep and Paralysis, allowing him to sweep uninhibited.

I'm running Acrobatics/Swords Dance/Hi Jump Kick/Baton Pass, for the record.

JoeM86

The Pokemon that can be used are anyone in the National Pokedex (#718 and below), excluding the usual suspects (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genosect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde).

That is, any Pokémon who was received through normal gameplay in XY (caught, hatched from an egg, received through ingame trade or as a gift, or from an event distro).

Any Pokemon that are transferred from PokeBank which came from the G5 games specifically are not usable *as they are*. I suppose they mean that you'd have to breed 'em in order to get a usable copy.

-Learned from a TM/HM
-Egg move
-Move tutor

This, combined with the fact that you can't use PBmons without breeding them, means that they are neatly paring down the usable movelist - if it can't be passed through breeding in XY, then there is no using the move.

They are probably going to be using this ruleset for VGCs in the future, I imagine.

I really like that, if they use it for VGC, it locks hacks and even RNG abused Pokémon out.

Not that it matters due to the ease of IV passing now, but still.

I really like that, if they use it for VGC, it locks hacks and even RNG abused Pokémon out.

Not that it matters due to the ease of IV passing now, but still.

ahahaha
have you seen the new hacks?

edit: wait not National Dex?
doubt that's the VGC ruleset

Kokonoe

Banned
Looky what I got~ =3=

i9cCAuRLAhJLY.jpg

XY plush.

JoeM86

ahahaha
have you seen the new hacks?

edit: wait not National Dex?
doubt that's the VGC ruleset

It is National Pokédex..."The Pokemon that can be used are anyone in the National Pokedex (#718 and below), excluding the usual suspects (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genosect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde)."

Also, there are no hacks. There is one person who physically hacked his cartridge to get some things...that's all

It is National Pokédex..."The Pokemon that can be used are anyone in the National Pokedex (#718 and below), excluding the usual suspects (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genosect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde)."

Also, there are no hacks. There is one person who physically hacked his cartridge to get some things...that's all

I think he's saying some of the retroactive prep BW2 is getting for the switch over to XY.

I don't know who I am anymore. Was I someone of importance? Did I battle Pokémon with my friends? Friends... did I have any? It's been so long since I set off on this journey, I don't know what's real anymore. Why am I doing this? What goal did I have in mind when I set off on this task? Did I know it would lead to this?

Those purple demons have become bolder of late. I now catch glimpses of them in complete daylight. Their short twisted forms, like long lost people morphed into terrifying visages of their former selves. What purpose do those gems provide to them? Why do they continue to stalk me? There's no way I could resist an attack from them, so why haven't they taken the opportunity? Are they leading me to some unknown destination? Are they just here to fuel this madness I feel dwelling inside of me?

I know only one thing. I must find that special Sableye... it's the only clear thought I have. This singular thought is the only thing that fuels me. Nothing else matters... it will be MINE!

That's really unreliable though, considering that Sky Attack becomes nigh-useless on him after its initial use. I mean, I can do almost twice the damage using Acrobatics two turns in a row rather than chargin and using Sky Attack once. Plus, SA makes you extremely vulnerable to switches/Super Effective damage for a turn, as well as stopping someone who's supposed to be a sweeper cold in their tracks. Sitrus Berry lets me recoup from a missed HJK which would otherwise have ruined a sweep, whereas Lum Berry adds protection from Burns, Sleep and Paralysis, allowing him to sweep uninhibited.

I'm running Acrobatics/Swords Dance/Hi Jump Kick/Baton Pass, for the record.

I don't treat Sky Attack as anything other than a one-off high damage speed boost - it's not something I'd bother using after my Power Herb was consumed. Plus it's useful to me to be able to decide when I want my speed boost as opposed to waiting to be damaged enough for a Sitrus berry to activate, especially considering I'm not going to send out Hawlucha without casting Reflect and Light Screen first. Swords Dance, Sky Attack, and then he's in pure sweep mode from there on out. Our movesets are identical except for Baton Pass/Sky Attack. I guess my build requires total commitment once he's set up, but it's worked for me so far.

I too would prefer a Flying Gem set, but I'm making due until that point. I'm fairly confident we're going to be able to win elemental gems from the "attractions" on the Global Link site. They have to come from somewhere - we have the Normal Gem in-game after all.

Caladrius

Wait, Regigigas is legal?

Wait, Regigigas is legal?

Regigigas is garbage though

and regarding that ruleset, unless you're telling me Cresselia and Thundurus (and others) are banned, I'm pretty sure it just means you must have gen 6 compatible movesets, i.e. hacked Pokemon can simply be modified to not carry moves it can't have in X/Y

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

and regarding that ruleset, unless you're telling me Cresselia and Thundurus (and others) are banned, I'm pretty sure it just means you must have gen 6 compatible movesets, i.e. hacked Pokemon can simply be modified to not carry moves it can't have in X/Y

Well, if you swap his ability out by using a cofagarious to give him munny or something he'll turn good.

JoeM86

It specifically says in the rules for this tournament that transferred Pokémon aren't eligible.

Could just be for this tournament though

Guess what, motherf*ckers:

mzBlgQ6l.jpg

Not only is that a shiny version of one of my favourite new Pokémon; it's a shiny perfect version of one of my favourite new Pokémon with the best possible nature and ability, and perfect IVs in every stat except for Sp. Attack.

Massive props to the folks at Nuggetbridge for making the hyper-useful Instacheck tool, Firestorm for helping me set up the whole shebang, and BowserSama for having the correct shiny ID and kindly hatching my egg for me.

Goddamn, I am so excited and happy right now~
*applauds* Welcome to the club. Mine has me as the OT so it's better HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

EDIT: Sure, MicH, lemme get on.
Well I just got shut down by the fact that half of my Friend Safari is filled with people who I wasn't online with at the same time in Pokemon Y.

EDIT: It's more like 4/5ths of people haven't been online at the same time as me.
When I start my Japanese Pokemon Y playthrough later I better be able to get at least one of my several Ditto friends registered!

I do know one who shouldn't be a problem, though, so I should be good.

Fury Sense

-Learned from a TM/HM
-Egg move
-Move tutor

Oh man. This is big! There were so many times I saw mons that could only learn moves through previous gens like Defog for example.

It specifically says in the rules for this tournament that transferred Pokémon aren't eligible.

Could just be for this tournament though

Every tournament has a diffferent ruleset regarding eligible Pokemon, thanks VGC for not laying anything out
competitive players want everything in though, so good luck

Top Bottom