• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Man, I was so excited for Talonflame. He's a fire falcon! But now that he's probably the most overused Pokemon this gen, I don't even want one. It just feels dirty.

I just want to add a couple of friends for Pokeymanzing. I still haven't got to breeding or safari-ing yet, but I'd get some stuff going.

2621-2629-2785

Fury Sense

Newest shiny catch!

Got her well watching Real Time! :p

Spr_5b_026_f_s.png

Cover blown!!

gg scraft, didn't know the loud mon could hit through sub!

Yeah, GG! Pumboom's good for two things and two things only: breakin' down walls and being a suicide lead. STAB Choice Specs Boomburst is one of my favourite things ever. Too bad you didn't get to see El Diablo in action, though...

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Yeah, GG! Pumboom's good for two things and two things only: breakin' down walls and being a suicide lead. STAB Choice Specs Boomburst is one of my favourite things ever. Too bad you didn't get to see El Diablo in action, though...

lol sounds scary!

Anyone else up for a battle is welcome to add me.

FC is 1778-9709-1218

MicH

A Japanese guy just challenged me. His Pokemon: Blaziken, Xerneas, Mewtwo, Tyranitar, Charizard and Haxorus

Clearly not bred or trained his Pokemon, unfortunately, but it was fun anyway.

Highest points:

Ferrothorn OHKOing Xerneas with Gyro Ball
Mega Scizor OHKOing Mewtwo with U-Turn

Maybe he learned something. Oh, and his Tyranitar used Thrash on mine. Huh

spiritfox

Man, I was so excited for Talonflame. He's a fire falcon! But now that he's probably the most overused Pokemon this gen, I don't even want one. It just feels dirty.

Hah it's the same for me. Which is too bad since Peregrine falcons are one of my favorite birds.

At least he has a place at my side as a breeding slave.

MicH

A Japanese guy just challenged me. His Pokemon: Blaziken, Xerneas, Mewtwo, Tyranitar, Charizard and Haxorus

Clearly not bred or trained his Pokemon, unfortunately, but it was fun anyway.

Highest points:

Ferrothorn OHKOing Xerneas with Gyro Ball
Mega Scizor OHKOing Mewtwo with U-Turn

Maybe he learned something. Oh, and his Tyranitar used Thrash on mine. Huh
Decided to help this guy out and traded him one of my leftover Scythers and Ferroseed :p

Unicorn

Out of curiosity, what do you guys consider to be Post-game? I see a lot of complaints about this game lacking Post-game, but I also think that term means different things for different people.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys consider to be Post-game? I see a lot of complaints about this game lacking Post-game, but I also think that term means different things for different people.
I think a lot of people are talking about additional storylines or plots, as well as a plethora of new activities to try out. I consider payable to be anything I enjoy doing after I complete the campaign.

Ultimadrago

Roaming/Standing Legendaries, Mega Stone hunting and the "Looker Quest". That's it (with perhaps Pokedex completion in the mix?). As much as I've had a solid time breeding for literally hundreds of hours, I do not define it as post-game. As such, I find the complaint quite valid.

Thanks. And that was weird when you accidentally put in a level 75 one. I felt bad.

Hah, it was my bad. I didn't mean to send you one of the old timers!

I fought a Lucario using Sableye the other day. The Lucario used Close Combat, and then Psychic. I'm surprised he didn't try using a Normal-type move to round things out.

well yeah no kidding, the fact that Lucario had both those moves in conjunction was a red flag of failure on its own

It's a mindset that forms organically in reaction to all the formulaic teams in ranked. Don't blame me for it.

Edit: Unless you're referring to the mindset that makes people choose from a shallow list of "competitive" Pokemon and movesets because they're afraid to experiment in case they don't meet with success, in which case I agree with you.

I find this mindset hilarious
"ranked battles are so repetitive, so I'll play unranked, that'll show them!"

This is such a frustrating mindset to see. Pokemon has such depth and room for creativity but it seems so many people can't see past just what species something is. A Pokemon battle is more than what's shown on team preview.

yeah well something something diversity

(Choice Specs Boomburst is lol if the opponent isn't expecting it)

I know we already have Guts, but there should be a Contrary-esque ability that inverts stat changes done by status ailments. Or, more specifically:

- Burn doubles attack.
- Poison doubles special attack.
- Sleep doubles defense.
- Freezing doubles special defense.
- Paralysis doubles speed.

except only two of the ones you listed actually have stat changes, and Quick Feet already exists
(of course it sucks, but that's besides the point)

Rain Dance team, yet another weakness to my all bug team,

Volcarona doesn't have Hurricane?
tsk tsk
...though I don't get why, rain nerfs fire moves and Scizor and co don't get blown away by Hurricane

PK Gaming

No worries on the torchic front, Scrafty helped me determine that I had a 30/31/31/x/31/31 Speed Boost Torchic the entire time!

Now to tackle Rotom...

TheBez

I had some breeding/competitive battling questions since this is my first gen of trying out competitive.

1) If I had a pokemon, who is mainly a special attacker, that has 5 IVs missing attack is it for all intents and purposes perfect/equivalent to a 6 IV?

2) I have two 5 IV parents, both 31/31/31/31/31/X will it be impossible to get a 6 IV mon form them? Would I be better off using one of those parents in conjunction with a 4 IV with a 31 speed?

Also I have a bunch of 4 IV Ralts for trade if you guys have some other 4 IV mons.

I had some breeding/competitive battling questions since this is my first gen of trying out competitive.

1) If I had a pokemon, who is mainly a special attacker, that has 5 IVs missing attack is it for all intents and purposes perfect/equivalent to a 6 IV?

2) I have two 5 IV parents, both 31/31/31/31/31/X will it be impossible to get a 6 IV mon form them? Would I be better off using one of those parents in conjunction with a 4 IV with a 31 speed?

Also I have a bunch of 4 IV Ralts for trade if you guys have some other 4 IV mons.

1. for a special attacker, it's actually better to have 0 attack IVs so you take less damage from confusion damage and Foul Play (for physical attackers the special attack stat has no effect at all, outside of some Power Split shenanigans (lol))
2. you can if the game randomly generates a 31 speed IV for you....but you're better off using a 4 IV one with speed

MicH

1) It is actually beneficial for a Special Attacker to have as low Attack as possible in cases of Confusion, Foul Play etc. So yes, it is perfect for a Special Attacker

2) It is possible, but that is all up to luck and could potentially take a long time to get. The Destiny Knot only takes 5 IVs in total from both parents and the 6th is random. This will not change even if you use two different Pokemon. The 6th IV is always random

I hope this helps

EDIT: aww beaten

How are people running Rotom W?
Here's what I use:

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Levitate
Modest (232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I know some people use Chesto Rest (Rest instead of HP Ice, Chesto berry instead of Sitrus) as a method of healing. I believe this is the standard set otherwise. He is very bulky and can take quite a few hits, yet hits hard. Volt Switch to get out of threats and to hit Pokemon weak to Electric, Hydro Pump everything else (or HP Ice those weak to ice).

Will-o-Wisp helps a lot to stop physical attackers

1) Yup. Not gonna use it? Don't give a shit.

2) Yes, but no. Destiny Knot will carry over 5IV's, no more no less. Using 2 5IV'd Pokemon will increase your chances, but you still have to hope that 1: it pulls the stat you don't have max'd as your 6th, not passed down IV (1/6), and then after that that it generates a 31 for it (1/32).

Thanks for the responses guys! Guess I will have to somehow try and get these 5 IV Ralts to 0 atk :p

it's not that important, really

Here's what I use:

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Levitate
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I know some people use Chesto Rest (Rest instead of HP Ice, Chesto berry instead of Sitrus) as a method of healing. I believe this is the standard set otherwise. He is very bulky and can take quite a few hits, yet hits hard. Volt Switch to get out of threats and to hit Pokemon weak to Electric, Hydro Pump everything else (or HP Ice those weak to ice).

you forgot the VGC version though :p
Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Modest (typically max EVs in HP/Sp. Atk, can be modified for your team needs though obviously)
-Hydro Pump
-Discharge/Thunderbolt
-Protect
-Thunder Wave/Will-O-Wisp

you forgot the VGC version though :p
Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Modest (typically max EVs in HP/Sp. Atk, can be modified for your team needs though obviously)
-Hydro Pump
-Discharge/Thunderbolt
-Protect
-Thunder Wave/Will-O-Wisp

Here's what I use:

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Levitate
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I'm kind of liking the VGC one better because I already have the Rotom I need, but I don't want to breed all over again for HP Ice. I also saw this interesting build on Smogon that I want to try

Rotom-W@Assault Vest
Levitate
Modest
232 HP/56 SpAtk/220 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Discharge
- Protect/Pain Split (Maybe Hex, because I want to run a Sableye)

MicH

Yeah, Pain Split is amazing on Rotom-W. Unfortunately, it is stuck in gen 5 for now. Without that in your set he doesn't have a way to recover, albeit he has amazing SpD :p Does Protect work with Assault Vest?

Top Bottom