• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

don t some gengar run dazzling gleam? still takes him down.

To my knowledge, the standard Gengar set is Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Thunderbolt. It's the one I've encountered the most online, at least, but I suppose Gleam is still a viable threat (especially since many Gengar will likely run it specifically to counter Bulletproof Chesnaught should it become more common).

ohlawd

Focus Blast is "Fighting Spirit Bullet" in Japan?

English speakers got screwed out of this one, no question.

Trakan

hQBfG4Fl.jpg

Just hatched a shiny Inkay.

Azure J

Just had a match with a bunch of old and new Pokemon I raised thrown together into a team:

Galvantula
Hydreigon
Aegislash
Blaziken
Greninja
Venusaur

And somehow, it all worked. GAF, synergy breakdown on this? How far can it go and if it could be fixed/altered, what would you do differently?

I'm still soul searching for a full team.

Hadoudan - Wave Bomb

Thought Hadoden sounded off haha.

EDIT: Damn now we're gonna get into some YuGiOh shit. In that card game, anything that referred to "Archfiend" also referred to Summoned Skull, because of the way the Japanese cards were named.
Now I see that Aura Sphere is counted as such, so now we have to keep an eye on ehtat.

It makes you immune to all of the moves on this page.

As a result, Bulletproof Chesnaught is pretty much the best Gengar counter ever.
Nullifies all of these

Acid Spray
Aura Sphere
Barrage
Bullet Seed
Egg Bomb
Electro Ball
Energy Ball
Focus Blastl
Gyro Ball
Ice Ball\
Magnet Bomb
Mud Bomb
Octazooka
Rollout
Seed Bomb
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Weather Ball

Thanks much. It's more worthwhile than I thought.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, even Diantha visits the Chateau? I thought only Leaders and E4 do!

Incoming "this move is always treated as a bullet move" text.

This will fly over every single one of your heads.
I'm thinking

SPIRIT GUUUUUUUUN!

Bulletproof is pretty good. I wonder which Pokebank poke is going to get it. What's Delphox hidden Ability? Also no one uses him.

Holmes

What's a better move for Lucario, Bullet Punch of Crunch? I'm gonna run Sword Dance (or Power Up Punch but probably Sword Dance), Close Combat and ExtremeSpeed, and I'm debating on my fourth move.

A STAB Bullet Punch has 60 power, and a normal Crunch is 80... but Bullet Punch has priority. Mmm, idk. :\

hQBfG4Fl.jpg

Just hatched a shiny Inkay.
q-t.
What's Delphox hidden Ability? Also no one uses him.
Magician. It seems to be basically like Thief, only whenever you do any move? Or a move that hits the opponent, anyway. Never tried it out.

What's a better move for Lucario, Bullet Punch of Crunch? I'm gonna run Sword Dance (or Power Up Punch but probably Sword Dance), Close Combat and ExtremeSpeed, and I'm debating on my fourth move.

Bulletpunch is more of a replacement for Extremespeed as the priority move. When you go mega the damage is the same including STAB. How much do you need Crunch for coverage? If you just want Lucario covering his steel/fighting you can ignore it. Extremespeed is great for that super duper priority.

So, would you pro-competitive types know if Donphan would still be worth using without access to Stealth Rock? I kinda really want one, but I'm not sure whether I should train one in White 2 or Y.

So, would you pro-competitive types know if Donphan would still be worth using without access to Stealth Rock? I kinda really want one, but I'm not sure whether I should train one in White 2 or Y.
It's only a month until Pokémon Bank. If I were you, I'd wait until you can transfer one with Stealth Rock from Gen V. There are a ton of cool Pokémon you can raise in the meantime.

EDIT: I'm not competitive at all though, so my opinion doesn't mean all that much.

SGRemy

so, something strange happened when i fought my friend just now.

i start scolipede, he starts imposter ditto. we both toxic spikes. few turns later he knocks out my scolipede. then i decide to throw in toxicroak (my logic was surely poison wont effect a poison type lol) and as soon as toxicroak comes out, the toxic spikes disappear, but mine stay on his side the entire match.

what happened to his t.spikes?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
A stealth rock absorption would have been sweet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, it's pretty good! Though I didn't expect it to do that much damage. >.<

Good game.

Thanks, GGs to you too, Completely messed up with klefki at the beginning (forgot he was a steel type) and knew I was going to lose from there.

I was super surprised when Rotom outsped volcarona. :p

It's only a month until Pokémon Bank. If I were you, I'd wait until you can transfer one with Stealth Rock from Gen V. There are a ton of cool Pokémon you can raise in the meantime.

I don't think Stealth Rock can be passed down to its children though, meaning I'll have to either learn how to RNG or put up with Gen V's inferior breeding mechanics D:

I guess the question now is who do I raise next? I don't want to raise Scizor again because I spent like 40 hours of my life crafting the perfect one in Gen V and am content to wait until we are reunited through Bank. Hmm... maybe I'll finally expose myself to the wonders of Sableye.

Korosenai

I don't think Stealth Rock can be passed down to its children though, meaning I'll have to either learn how to RNG or put up with Gen V's inferior breeding mechanics D:

I guess the question now is who do I raise next? I don't want to raise Scizor again because I spent like 40 hours of my life crafting the perfect one in Gen V and am content to wait until we are reunited through Bank. Hmm... maybe I'll finally expose myself to the wonders of Sableye.

Which Pokemon have you bred and trained so far this gen?

Tenck

Thanks for the 4 IV Gastly, it saved me a lot of time. Before that I was getting at best 'Outstanding' Pokemon with 3 freaking IVs. Just horrible

Ha! I had a bunch of them with 4IVs but needed that 5IV one. Unloaded like 2 boxes worth of on Wondertrade. Looks like I'll keep being active in that Trade thread so others can make use of my Pokemon :p

Ha! I had a bunch of them with 4IVs but needed that 5IV one. Unloaded like 2 boxes worth of on Wondertrade. Looks like I'll keep being active in that Trade thread so others can make use of my Pokemon :p

Incidentally, the second egg I got after the perfect one was a 5 IV male. You can have it. Give me about 10 minutes and I'll jump online.

Regiruler

I'm thinking

SPIRIT GUUUUUUUUN!

No.
In yugioh, names are incredibly important, and back in the day the translators didn't care to keep any sort of consistency. To fix this, later releases of older cards sometimes included "this card is always treated as an X card", usually referring to Archfiends.
Example

Which Pokemon have you bred and trained so far this gen?

Heliolisk, Gengar, Malamar, Greninja, Kangaskhan, Gliscor, Exploud, Togekiss and Smeargle.

I was considering raising Ambipom too, but then I realized that I've already worked on 4 Normal-types already, so I should probably give that type a break. ;P

No.
In yugioh, names are incredibly important, and back in the day the translators didn't care to keep any sort of consistency. To fix this, later releases of older cards sometimes included "this card is always treated as an X card", usually referring to Archfiends.
Example

Way to quote the wrong guy yo.

TBF, this is the only case (bulletproof) where I even see it, so who knows we should be safe for a few more generations. :D

EDIT: When did they start doing that? I haven't gotten any cards in about a year or two, but I'm pretty sure my Summoned Skull from a year back didn't have any of that. Nor my Red Eyes B Chick, though I guess the only card that would've applied to specifically mentions it as invalid...

Regiruler

Way to quote the wrong guy yo.

EDIT: When did they start doing that? I haven't gotten any cards in about a year or two, but I'm pretty sure my Summoned Skull from a year back didn't have any of that. Nor my Red Eyes B Chick, though I guess the only card that would've applied to specifically mentions it as invalid...
Is it? He quoted me.

As for your question, the first with that kind of text was in Absolute Powerforce (2009) on Chimera the Flying Mythical Beast, however for Summoned Skull they didn't add it until Legendary Collection 4 - Joey's World of this year to accommodate the new Archfiend cards in Judgment of the Light. Red Eyes B. Chick is not in an archetype per se, so it's never needed the text.
To fix the reverse problem caused by Harpie's Brother, which had to be called out by name that it didn't work, they renamed Harpie's Brother to Sky Scout.

Tenck

Incidentally, the second egg I got after the perfect one was a 5 IV male. You can have it. Give me about 10 minutes and I'll jump online.

I'm good man. I've got a female timid one with 31/x/31/31/31/31 which is what I was aiming for and the male that's 31/31/x/31/31/31

I'm keeping both in case I want to breed more for myself or others that are in need of a Gastly.

Top Bottom