• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Why do some people feel that those who use the SV exploit hurts their experience? It's not like they're getting better Pokemon or anything.
Because it's something abnormally obtained, something we shouldn't have access to. It also can hurt the experience because the Shinys obtained by more ethical means are put into question and make shinys overall less rare; nobody is going to be amazed by shinys anymore.

Yeah, all but a few shinies are uglier than the standard coloration. The only thing special about them was their rarity. Now that everyone has them, you're just left with an ugly Pokemon. I saw three shinies while playing online earlier. Meh.

My Shiny Clauncher represents Zeon.

Sieg Zeon!

Ultimadrago

I don't see the big deal. Shiny only has value if you're trading ... and I only hunt/ breed for shinys I want (which makes be feel soooo damn bad when people on tumblr beg for my kirlia or one of my 3 FS Mawile ... I'm not gonna trade shit, I put in too much effort to trip over my pretty shiny to trade it for you Fish or money or shiny Beldum, sorry :[ )

Similar sentiments. The value in the Pokemon I get shiny is for my own appreciation of the Pokemon and color scheme. Trade value or "How many Gamefaqs users respond to my fifth thread about catching one" isn't in my priorities in the least.

Why do some people feel that those who use the SV exploit hurts their experience? It's not like they're getting better Pokemon or anything.

Beats me.

Firestorm

Because it's a Nintendo game. People playing the game differently from you is a sin. Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, doesn't matter!

Seriously though, welcome to online Pokemon for the past 3 or 4 years. If you thought shinies were rare, you just weren't playing online like you are now.
Have we had the first singles official tournament yet? I lost track of what happened with the doubles team tournament.
There's a team tournament going on now and I will be starting a tournament next month using the Standard ruleset once TPCi announces it which will be Doubles, but not require teams.
I would like a GAF League. Even moreso a multi or doubles league.
If you mean something like with Gyms and Elite Four and stuff like that, in my experience it has a pretty close to zero chance of actually taking off =/

Because it's a Nintendo game. People playing the game differently from you is a sin. Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, doesn't matter!

Seriously though, welcome to online Pokemon for the past 3 or 4 years. If you thought shinies were rare, you just weren't playing online like you are now.There's a team tournament going on now and I will be starting a tournament next month using the Standard ruleset once TPCi announces it which will be Doubles, but not require teams.If you mean something like with Gyms and Elite Four and stuff like that, in my experience it has a pretty close to zero chance of actually taking off =/

I was a Gym Leader in a league on AllisBrawl a couple years back. It went pretty well since it happened during the summer so there was a lot of free time. I think only two people managed to actually beat our Elite Four. Not because of time commitments, but because we were actually putting up a fight. :p

The point is, if people are willing to put the time in, it could work. Sadly, NeoGAF is not the kind of site where something like that can happen.

Fury Sense

If you mean something like with Gyms and Elite Four and stuff like that, in my experience it has a pretty close to zero chance of actually taking off =/
I was thinking more like a sports league. Everyone plays one or two best-of-3s a week against whomever is on their schedule and we have standings / records etc.

Look forward to the doubles tournament!

NEO0MJ

I was a Gym Leader in a league on AllisBrawl a couple years back. It went pretty well since it happened during the summer so there was a lot of free time. I think only two people managed to actually beat our Elite Four. Not because of time commitments, but because we were actually putting up a fight. :p

That sounds like fun. Did you all use a themed team?

I think it's got something to do with this ...

Not sure about other people but only recently have I become aware of this "Shiny hunter culture" with in the Pokemon fan base. These people randomly encounter 1000s of Pokemon the wild just to come across a shiny via random encounter. These People are hard core, most I see don't even use the FS or Hordes ... they just leave it to random chance over and over and over. This is what I think when I hear how SV or even FS shinys aren't "legit shiny". Hell, she doesn't even seem to like the idea that the OVER ALL shiny encounter rate has been doubled (I believe that's what Serebii and friend are reporting)

And that's OK, they clearly get enjoyment from the mostly random achievement (which is why they keep track of their encounters). I think that's kinda the "hard core" side to shiny hunters. Lighter levels are people who treat shinys like trading cards. And even lighter levels are people like me who use radar and such because we want our bros for personal taste.

I think SV disrupts ALLLL of this shit in favor of lighter shiny fans. It's not a hack-mon because you did NOT Pokegen/ make this Pokemon, all you do is look at the information and send it to where it needs to go to be shiny. It allows any Pokemon to be a legit Shiny so long as they're hatched by the right person. And unlike RNG you don't have to jump up and down as you piss in a bowl sideways and have your Parrot Pokemon talk 5 times with X number of Pokemon in your party to trick the game into giving you a flawless shiny.

For these RE people it makes them feel like people are taking their achievements and throwing dirt on their pass-time. For Shiny traders it's a steaming chunk of a mess because now they can't just have the right nature ... people are expecting flawless breeder level shinys for their trade (encouraging some to flat out try to lie about the IVs they're Pokemon have ... not realizing that people who SV can tell if you're trading them crud). Same with the FS, people mainly want the beldums and such, not the everyday mons. Plus, why would many give up their Shiny when they can beg a breeder for some studs to make their own batch and SV those? I think that may be a driving fear with traders.

Pretty simple really. Before mass TSV access, shiny pokemon were novel. The rarity alone was special, and it was exciting to see a shiny pokemon. Someone could catch a shiny pokemon and be very proud as well as have a valuable pokemon for trading purposes. If used competitively, it would be extra impressive.

Today if you see a shiny, you have no reason to be impressed. The only thing to compare today's shiny to is the standard coloration. Some of the magic of Pokemon has certainly been lost.

Maybe if this was in fancy pancy land without AR or Pokegen.
Thing is that with AR and Pokegen the people who use them .... have zero reason to trade shinys I guess. Why trade for a Pokemon you could create by yourself and for yourself? As I pointed out there's not longer that's divide I guess. You can not Pokegen a 6th game Pokemon ... but you can use a network of players to get legit shinys without back breaking rng luck.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Should gamefreak cater to that kind of crazy though?Those groups are such an incredible fringe that at some point it would be better for everyone if shinies are more easily obtainable.

That sounds like fun. Did you all use a themed team?

Yeah, we all did. I was the Water-type leader. We put in additional, optional challenges for people trying to beat us (using only 6 Pokemon; using a mono-team; etc), but they weren't hard requirements. It was just for funsies.

Unrelated, but we also ran theme tournaments on the side. One of my favorite ones was one where you were only allowed to use Pokemon from a certain shape group. I ended up making a Trick Room team with the shape I chose. One of my matches was uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeuBhJN2I20

Fury Sense

Maybe if this was in fancy pancy land without AR or Pokegen.
Thing is that with AR and Pokegen the people who use them .... have zero reason to trade shinys I guess. Why trade for a Pokemon you could create by yourself and for yourself? As I pointed out there's not longer that's divide I guess. You can not Pokegen a 6th game Pokemon ... but you can use a network of players to get legit shinys without back breaking rng luck.
Ah. Well I think most of the people upset must be living in that fancy pancy land. Personally, I'm pretty unaware of any metagame before this generation.

Yeah, all but a few shinies are uglier than the standard coloration. The only thing special about them was their rarity. Now that everyone has them, you're just left with an ugly Pokemon. I saw three shinies while playing online earlier. Meh.
Part of why I think we can tell GF are trying to make Shinys more common? Just look at the 6th gen Shinys ... unlike past gens they pretty much ALL look good! They even tried to fix past gen shinys (Mega Shark).

Really, if Furfrou was a 2nd or 3rd gen Pokemon ... i think it would have been hot pink/ vomit green or just slightly off white. Instead they did a logical thing (BLACK!).

Similar sentiments. The value in the Pokemon I get shiny is for my own appreciation of the Pokemon and color scheme. Trade value or "How many Gamefaqs users respond to my fifth thread about catching one" isn't in my priorities in the least.
*Respect Fist Bump!

Should gamefreak cater to that kind of crazy though?Those groups are such an incredible fringe that at some point it would be better for everyone if shinies are more easily obtainable.

GF has been trying to make Shinys more and more common with every gen pretty much.
That's why I think we're seeing such a huge increase in Shiny Success before this SV thing happened. The extreme-side people are not very far from what GF is trying to appeal to.

I've been seriously thinking about training an Avalugg. Maybe something like this:

Impish Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Avalanche
Rock Slide
Recover
Mirror Coat

It would be awful against special attackers, but could guarantee at least one survival/kill if Avalugg still has full HP left.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, we all did. I was the Water-type leader. We put in additional, optional challenges for people trying to beat us (using only 6 Pokemon; using a mono-team; etc), but they weren't hard requirements. It was just for funsies.

We need to do that here 0.0

Part of why I think we can tell GF are trying to make Shinys more common? Just look at the 6th gen Shinys ... unlike past gens they pretty much ALL look good! They even tried to fix past gen shinys (Mega Shark).

Best Mega shiny I saw was Mega-Gengar, the most terrifying tooth fairy of all time. Any place that has a good collection of shinies?

I've been seriously thinking about training an Avalugg. Maybe something like this:

Impish Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Avalanche
Rock Slide
Recover
Mirror Coat

It would be awful against special attackers, but could guarantee at least one survival/kill if Avalugg still has full HP left.

Avalugg can't survive any spacial attackers anyway so that's a good set. One thing you have to watch out for with Avalugg is entry hazard/sandstorm, as you lose its ability.

I'm not sure it's fair to blame the Nintendo fanbase for this one, if a similar trick was discovered in, say, Diablo III or something where much of the gameplay is finding rate items you would probably get a similar reaction.

Granted Shinies have no gameplay advantage but people do like to attach a value to them.

I'd be for less extreme palette changes or customisation like Furfrou or Vivillion. Heck maybe something like Stadium 1/2 nicknames.

That said I got a Shiny Mime Jr. Last night. -Def + SpA, I'll check IVs sometime and try to use it use it online and have everyone call me either a cheater for it being shiny or a n00b for it not having good nature or IVs ("only" 3 perfect)...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I freaking hate vivillion. Though I use spore breloom so I guess I can't complain...

Still, she pretty much covers all the weakness in my team.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm not sure it's fair to blame the Nintendo fanbase for this one, if a similar trick was discovered in, say, Diablo III or something where much of the gameplay is finding rate items you would probably get a similar reaction.

Granted Shinies have no gameplay advantage but people do like to attach a value to them.
Rarity contributes to value, who woulda thunk.

Tirael

Ugh, getting a 5 IV Beldum is ridiculously difficult. 3 IV parent + 4 IV parent = 2.6% chance. On average, I should have gotten it after a box and a half, but it's been way more than that.

Got one with perfect everything but Speed. Rare Candied it up and used an IV calculator. 26-31 Speed. (But I know it's not 31 because the Judge didn't mention it.) Metagross isn't going to outspeed much, so this seems like it would be good enough. Right?

What moveset and EVs are you guys using on Sableye? Does Will-o-Wisp make Foul Play do less damage?

I'm using a defensive 252 HP/253 Sp. Def spread (Def isn't as important since their Attack is going to be halved anyways) with a moveset of Taunt/WoW/Recover/Foul Play. Burn doesn't cause FP to inflict less damage because FP does not take negative modifiers such as Burn into account.

Checking last nights talk about egg trading getting banned (speculation behind random maintenance, do not think it actually happened). Remember when Ditto trading got briefly banned? I assume it was just to check the ones inside the system and see how many of them really were perfect (if it was a lot it would point to some kind of exploit). If the maintenance were to coincide it might have been to investigate that but it really is a horse is already bolted situation given people have been it for a week.

Ugh, getting a 5 IV Beldum is ridiculously difficult. 3 IV parent + 4 IV parent = 2.6% chance. On average, I should have gotten it after a box and a half, but it's been way more than that.
I feel bad about getting mine with less...well Protean Froakie taking forever to reach 2 IVs I guess was revenge.

Unicorn

The point is, if people are willing to put the time in, it could work. Sadly, NeoGAF is not the kind of site where something like that can happen.
I totally call dibs on being a Poison gym leader!

Top Bottom